i thought i would share a email we have received

• Moderators

It all comes down to personal taste. It always does. You might think someone from Under The Dome is a great idea, but not all shows work well as convention guests once you weigh up the costs etc.

This is what a lot of people don't even consider - Showmasters are privy to details that you and I never will be. Whether that's availability of guests, or the cost of guests etc. They have to make a decision based on ALL of these things, not just 'do a couple of people on a forum want this guest?'

So when a few of you ask for horror because 'there's loads in America!', people don't consider the VAST difference in cost to getting a NOES reunion when everyone's in the same country vs flights/hotels/appearance fees to get everyone over here. It's never going to be as simple as SM picking a few guests off a shelf.

Yes, variety is great, and to be honest I don't think we do that bad at all. But please realise that a couple of voices doesn't simply make it easy for SM to get a particular guest. If there's demand for a particular show then get people to SHOW IT. I'm not talking one or two of you - if you truly believe there's something under-represented then get people talking. Get people to come on here. Have a fanbase that SPEAKS to the organisers and shows there's ACTUAL demand. If there's demand out there then it needs to be proven, and there's such a minute number of people saying things on here compared to the amount of people we actually get at conventions.

• Like 4

Hi David, i can see your point however look at what happened when you brought 2 massive guests last year, Robert Englund and Lance. The venue literally was not big enough to cope, thats how busy it got. I would think that this would demonstate to you how good a show Glasgow could be every year. Realistically, there is not much we can do to get these forums buzzing with activity and the requests en mass that you want to see but if you book the guests the public will start to arrive in their droves and you will start to see the message boards light up. You did say yourself that it took London years to get to where it is Today and I would reply by saying Glasgow could be raised in profile in the exact same way.

In saying that, I do realise that we will probably never get the massive guests that London enjoys, I understand the economic and demographic differences between the 2 shows and appreciate there us only so much showmasters can do. You raised the bar last year and the fans responded then things seemed to slip back a bit this year, to be truthful this just doesn't feel right. I really did enjoy the show this year as I always do as did most of the members of the forum but if you guys really want this event to grow you need to meet us half way and give us a chance to respond in kind (just as we did last year). If you book them the fans will come :)

No critisim is meant here just the opinion of a true fan of your events and I hope my comments are taken in the spirit that they are intended.

Joe

It all comes down to personal taste. It always does. You might think someone from Under The Dome is a great idea, but not all shows work well as convention guests once you weigh up the costs etc.

This is what a lot of people don't even consider - Showmasters are privy to details that you and I never will be. Whether that's availability of guests, or the cost of guests etc. They have to make a decision based on ALL of these things, not just 'do a couple of people on a forum want this guest?'

So when a few of you ask for horror because 'there's loads in America!', people don't consider the VAST difference in cost to getting a NOES reunion when everyone's in the same country vs flights/hotels/appearance fees to get everyone over here. It's never going to be as simple as SM picking a few guests off a shelf.

Yes, variety is great, and to be honest I don't think we do that bad at all. But please realise that a couple of voices doesn't simply make it easy for SM to get a particular guest. If there's demand for a particular show then get people to SHOW IT. I'm not talking one or two of you - if you truly believe there's something under-represented then get people talking. Get people to come on here. Have a fanbase that SPEAKS to the organisers and shows there's ACTUAL demand. If there's demand out there then it needs to be proven, and there's such a minute number of people saying things on here compared to the amount of people we actually get at conventions.

• Moderators

You say there's not much you can do, but if there's genuine demand out there and fanbases that want these guests, then it's easy enough to get them to sign up here and request guests. That can be easily encouraged if you're involved in various websites, other forums etc. It's not that hard to show support for something if it's there.

i think the fact of the matter is, no matter WHO comes to these events there's always gonna be someone who doesn't think there is anyone 'massive' there. for instance i have no idea who the two guys you keep saying were massive last year are. yet i knew loads of people going this year and considered them to be high up on my list of people i wanted to meet.

i think the guests this year were fairly diverse, yet at the same time linked together well for talks and things. i suppose you have to get a few people from each 'genre' or show to make the talks worth while, otherwise there would need to be hundred of talks with individual people to get through everybody.

• Like 1

i think the fact of the matter is, no matter WHO comes to these events there's always gonna be someone who doesn't think there is anyone 'massive' there. for instance i have no idea who the two guys you keep saying were massive last year are. yet i knew loads of people going this year and considered them to be high up on my list of people i wanted to meet.

i think the guests this year were fairly diverse, yet at the same time linked together well for talks and things. i suppose you have to get a few people from each 'genre' or show to make the talks worth while, otherwise there would need to be hundred of talks with individual people to get through everybody.

This :coolthumb:

• Like 1

To me joe flanigan is a huge guest most people go who, I've worked with guests I've never heard of and had an amazing time.

another good point at the end. i went to a few talks over the weekend for people i didn't really know or hadn't heard of before and really enjoyed their talks. and from that i'm probably more likely to go and check their stuff out.

i've only been to a few cons so far but every one i've been to i've come away from having found a new actor that really impressed me in their talks.

LFCC has taken YEARS to get to where it is today. There's absolutely no way that Glasgow could jump to that scale anytime soon.

Plus I do think it's unrealistic to think it could ever get to that stage. IMO I simply don't think that Glasgow could ever attract those crowds. You won't get that many people wanting to travel all over the world to Glasgow. It's just not going to happen. LFCC is a lot of peoples one 'major' con, and so to then have another one on that scale would hurt Showmasters because they'd never get the people in. There's not enough to sustain that many huge events.

Ever? I don't think it is unrealistic at all, perhaps in it's current form though if Glasgow can hold a huge sporting event then if course it can do the same for these types of events. I'm sure your aware of the other event in Glasgow now and it will quickly take over as it's in a bigger arena, guest wise it's only got one of two though the numbers are there for much bigger things so as I've said before if you invest in a large event show in Scotland you will see back a return.

It's highly insulting to say it can't ever happen, it can and will happen when someone believes in Scotland. Try thinking positively instead of putting down what Scotland can achieve again thank you!

• Like 1

• Moderators

To put it into context - I don't believe ANY show will ever be at the level of LFCC. I consider that to be SM's flagship show, and I'm sure it'll always be the biggest and most popular. Certainly nothing against Glasgow specifically, just the way I see things running.

And that's the Summer show specifically. Even the Winter one is never as big.

Edited by DavidB

All we re saying is glasgow can definitely handle a much bigger event! Dnt want to b another london! Like u said that is the flag ship event and every one looks forward to that every year! I hope sm do grow the show because I strongly believe they would come up trumps!!

• Like 2

Completely agree abotu the staff. Before attending I was a little worried about kind of being cattle-herded along but everyone was so nice!

At the autographs I went for the staff were lovely and took photos for me with the cast members I asked if I could have photos with. At the talks, the staff on the ticket desk and on the sides with microphones were all lovely (and the guy hosting the talks was awesome!).

That guy was me lol

• Like 1