8 - 1. DEEP BREATH - Spoilers

timelord81r

Deep breath I really liked, enjoyed it a lot and capaldi was IS magnificent! Also thought Jenna upped her game too. Plot was nothing special but was entertaining on the whole.

My only gripes are the two Main Action scenes (horse chase and larder figh
t) were poorly shot, larder fight was just close ups of them swinging stuff and no one getting hurt, Poor, and why does straxs gun have no effect on the droids or their skins?

but aside that I really enjoyed the ep. Very much.
Some lovely little past nods in there too and was impressed with some of the effects. Jokes were amusing too. And loved the ambiguity of the result of the end confrontation.
God Peter was good in this!
And really loved the main deep breath scene with Jenna.

New title sequence, liked the visuals but the music is still off, why? Moff era titles music is so poor!

Capaldi is just a brilliant doctor!

last night was the ep I was least looking forward to, enjoying it gives me even higher hopes for the rest of s8.

Edited by timelord81r
  • Like 1

** SPOLIER ALERT **

I enjoyed it from start to finish.

The Borg storyline was just secondary. The primary plot line was how Clara relates with the new Doctor. It was cleverly written. There were times when I thought, is this Clara's last appearance? The theme of how a companion relates with a completely new Doctor has never been covered in depth before. And I liked that.

The one thing that would take me time to adjust to were the special effects. It was more 80's than 21st Century. Being use to the earlier iterations of the Doctor, I like it. But not sure how our overseas compatriots who are use to the Doctor post-Ecclestone would take to it.

As for Capaldi. It's too early to say how good he portrays the Doctor. That scene where he's on the roof top shouting at the dinosaurs, some gestures were quite off. Apart from that, a solid performance from him.

I liked the new Tardis particularly the dark colours arrangements inside as too the new title theme.

Overall, it was a good episode and I look forward to see how "The Promised Land" theme develops. Hopefully in the same way as the Bad Wolf and the Crack in the wall.

Deep breath I really liked, enjoyed it a lot and capaldi was IS magnificent! Also thought Jenna upped her game too. Plot was nothing special but was entertaining on the whole.

My only gripes are the two Main Action scenes (horse chase and larder fight) were poorly shot, larder fight was just close ups of them swinging stuff and no one getting hurt, Poor, and why does straxs gun have no effect on the droids or their skins?

but aside that I really enjoyed the ep. Very much.

Some lovely little past nods in there too and was impressed with some of the effects. Jokes were amusing too. And loved the ambiguity of the result of the end confrontation.

God Peter was good in this!

And really loved the main deep breath scene with Jenna.

New title sequence, liked the visuals but the music is still off, why? Moff era titles music is so poor!

Capaldi is just a brilliant doctor!

last night was the ep I was least looking forward to, enjoying it gives me even higher hopes for the rest of s8.

Totally agree with everyone thing you said like the fight scene and about Capaldi being awesome

SPOILER ALERT:

I loved Capaldi, he's the type of Doctor that I've wanted to see for a long time now, Clara still remains to be my favourite companion, that cameo in the end I personally thought was quite heart warming, as for Missy I got a gut feeling that Missy is secretly The Rani.

Edited by ScottKPM

A brilliant episode after the disaster of most of Matt Smiths episodes. Peter Capaldi is brilliant - nice to see Jenna getting more of the episode to show her acting range. Very nice to hear certain quotes from previous episodes.

Dan Starkey is excellent and needs his own show :smile:

All in all if they continue it could be the best series in years. Nice touch to see Elisabeth Sladen's husband in the show as well.

It was funny, moving , made you laugh and cry. Heres to many more

Overall I really liked DP, niggles? Sure! The two big action scenes (horse ride and larder fight were really poorly shot! & considering Clara has met/seen every incarnation & had tea with hurt she's a bit too phased about a new older doc, But the chemistry with capaldi & Jenna, the longer/slower scenes, the nods back, the darker side to the doctor again & capaldi!! all brilliant, loved all that. And unlike a lot of the moff years, thought the comedy was good and balanced well with the serious bits.
Loved the final confrontation scene and it's ambiguity and the Clara deep breath scene.

New titles visually I liked but the theme music is still off, still a bit crap and I don't get why, just about every classic theme is good and the RTD years were too, why are the moff years one so crap? Too faint, slow and not enough theme!

So yeah, I'm a big critic of resent years, i mean time of is total crap! (although i really liked night and day) but I enjoyed last nights and love capaldi, looking forward to the rest of s8 so much!

i too have a feeling that woman might be someone classic linked and ive got a feeling theres more to come with jenna, maybe some twist, i just hope it all makes sense lol.

some of the effects were good, some not so much. wish they'd expand them a bit and mix them with models too much more.

humm, the new tardis interior, i dont get it, hes not redecorated lol, hes changed the bulb and added some books and a bench, am i the only one who thinks it was silly putting the redecorated line in when its barely changed, now if she was referring to his incarnation, well, that would fit lol

Saw this at the local cinema, mixed reactions from those around me. I enjoyed the episode and am looking forward to seeing the relationship expand. The interviews and behind the scenes info suggests that both Peter and Jenna's relationship seems to really grow and should develop into something to behold.

I enjoyed the new Doctor's performance and Jenna really showed her acting chops too.

I liked Capaldi as the doctor. I didn't like the episode though at all...especially the larder fight which was quite frankly pants. Strax is wearing armor and has a gun yet he doesn't use that gun at all effectivly?! I though vastra came across as manipulative and vindictive with the way she treated people?!

Clara seems to have changed personality...I'll be interested to see how that develops. The plot was a rehash of girl in the fireplace. I would have liked more on the doctor and less of the 'side plot'.

I'm intregued by who missy is..looking a bit mary poppins-ish to me. lol! Is there perhaps a mechanical theme....

yep the larder fight was awful, no choreography at all, strax doesnt hit a thing with a sontaren gun from close range, the swords dont even dent the flesh of the driods, clara seems to just be swing with them like she has a weapon, but doesnt lol, all done in close up cos nothing is actually happening, droids from close range with sword hands dont hit a thing, then strax is gonna kill himself? wtf?

lol clara suddenly became a school teacher in day of the doctor and with her wibbly wobbly time line ive given up trying to work it out lol, but yeah she was much better here and jenna raised her game too.

i just hope the missy thing A makes sense and B isnt shoe horned into every episode.

• 3 weeks later...

Capaldi was superb as was all of the cast...but the story is of course a remix of the "Robot pretending to be a man" story that Moffat did before (Girl in the Fireplace) with some added dinosaur in London which is also recycled (Invasion of the Dinosaurs) and annoyingly, the story spends a good bit of time reminding us about that. Another reuse of the "You've redecorated" line which was unneeded, the larder fight was weak and then there's Matt's cameo...sorry but Clara has met older incarnations of the Doctor already so there shouldn't be any need for reassurance. Some of the dialogue was brilliant, Missy seems interesting, the Paternoster gang were actually bearable for me and the music score was wonderful.