discrete post

So my parents found out that showmasters = convention and they get don't get that this is what I do for fun and what makes me happy so I get a rant every time something arrives in the post, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get discrete post. Like in an unmarked brown envelop or something. I wouldn't mind paying extra for it and all.

I just hate getting lectured every time I order tickets :S

So my parents found out that showmasters = convention and they get don't get that this is what I do for fun and what makes me happy so I get a rant every time something arrives in the post, so I was wondering if there was anyway to get discrete post. Like in an unmarked brown envelop or something. I wouldn't mind paying extra for it and all.

Tell them it's better you being into something harmless like this than going out on the streets robbing or mugging people (assuming you don't do that !). That might make them see your hobby differently!

Does going to a con involve them having to do anything for you? Are you spending your own money not there's? If not they have no reason to complain. I know my mum rolls her eyes when I mention comicons but then I'm an adult now so she can think its silly if she wants. I do it all with my own energies so there. ;)

• Like 2

Does going to a con involve them having to do anything for you? Are you spending your own money not there's? If not they have no reason to complain. I know my mum rolls her eyes when I mention comicons but then I'm an adult now so she can think its silly if she wants. I do it all with my own energies so there. ;)

this :) there's no harm in them...you're (most people are) meeting up with friends...it's something not many people do or understand so their reaction is somewhat understandable... we get mockery all the time but we're above that, frankly LOL

it's really no worse than creating stuff out of papêr mache or flower arranging... and far less prickly with the thorns

I agree, my mum asks me every time if I haven't gotten enough sigs now and if says she thought I wasn't going to go to any more. If she finds out how much the con tickets are she screeches 'how much?' I simply tell her that I don't drink, don't smoke ect and i'm not spending silly money and this is what I like doing. She can't argue with any of that.

As long as you aren't spending money you shouldn't then let them know that politely, ask them that even if they do not get why you enjoy going to respect that you do and you are being sensible about it and not getting yourself into financial difficulty to be able to attend (Assuming you aren't that is). It's a hobby like any other and hopefully they should respect that.

With respect, attending these events is a totally respectable thing to do and if you are having to resort to hiding the fact that you are attending I think you might need to have a calm chat with them.

• Like 1

My mum doesn't object to me going...she just makes 'are you sure' comments about my cosplay outfits. lol! I think she thinks its a waste of time and money to make something I'll only wear once a year. I had to explain its improving my sewing skills so its not a waste.

I'm 52 and still enjoy going to these events, my mum, when she was alive, was the same and the wife lets me do what I want - as long as the bills get paid. Most of us put money away for these events to cover our costs so as long as its your money they shouldn't complain - would they much rather you be a drug addict, alcoholic or addicted gambler or would they much rather you go to these events (you could always tell them its an investment) where you meet people with similar interests . At the end of the day its harmless (but, at times, can be expensive) and where else would you meet big names from films, tv, sport etc. Enjoy yourself!

:thumbup::vader::cylon::yoda::hathor:

Have to agree with this. If you are spending your money, you are not spending more than you can afford and paying bills or anything you need to without problems, then quite honestly it is none of their business! I am 31, married with four kids and I love going to conventions, red carpet events or to the stage door after theatre shows. I have been called a stalker and I have been told I meet celebs for the sake of meeting them, but quite honestly I don't care what people say because I only do what I can afford (even it means saving all year) and I always take one or more of my kids. None of us are harming anyone by doing this and it makes us happy. My husband hates going to conventions but loves that I go as I will always make sure I get him an autograph if there is someone he admires there, especially this year when Carrie Fisher was there and I managed to get it signed with his name on it despite the signs saying no to that!

Have to agree with this. If you are spending your money, you are not spending more than you can afford and paying bills or anything you need to without problems, then quite honestly it is none of their business! I am 31, married with four kids and I love going to conventions, red carpet events or to the stage door after theatre shows. I have been called a stalker and I have been told I meet celebs for the sake of meeting them, but quite honestly I don't care what people say because I only do what I can afford (even it means saving all year) and I always take one or more of my kids. None of us are harming anyone by doing this and it makes us happy. My husband hates going to conventions but loves that I go as I will always make sure I get him an autograph if there is someone he admires there, especially this year when Carrie Fisher was there and I managed to get it signed with his name on it despite the signs saying no to that!
My parents are exactly the same, I'm 16 and I hate sport etc but the one thing I do love is Star Wars and for me being able to meet the actors who portrayed characters in some of my favourite films and tv shows is just amazing, they rant and moan at me for doing this sort of thing " it's so silly the amount of money you spend for some ink on a picture, I can't believe you would spend that much to get a picture with someone who doesn't even look like the character in the film" or something along those lines. But I tell them it's my money that I've been given from grandparents and family etc and that I've saved up from various little jobs I've done along the way so why should they care? They don't have to go out of their way to do anything for the shows I attend unless they feel it better to accompany me in which case I pay for them too. This year I got the biggest bollocking of my life for saying that I spent £60 on one autograph from Carrie Fisher, but they don't understand that it's my money and what I want to do nor do they understand that how rare the opportunity is to meet somebody like Carrie. Anyway back to the point descreet post would be something to consider as it would save a lot of hassle for some attendees

Lol, you've just reminded me of another thing my mum says - in the past I've brought screen used tshirts and costumes from stargate. My mum knows and is horrified that I paid xxxx for them and kept telling me that she has a shirt she can sell me for £200. I just roll my eyes at her :rolleyes: and remind her that they mean something to me and I'll keep them forever. I'd frame them and put them up if I had enough room.

Lol, you've just reminded me of another thing my mum says - in the past I've brought screen used tshirts and costumes from stargate. My mum knows and is horrified that I paid xxxx for them and kept telling me that she has a shirt she can sell me for £200. I just roll my eyes at her :rolleyes: and remind her that they mean something to me and I'll keep them forever. I'd frame them and put them up if I had enough room.

In the same way mothers keep their kids baby stuff...you see no different.

My mums response to telling her I was paying for a photo...'you can invite them back for tea for that price'. lol!

• Like 2

I get the same thing, usually when I mention how much signatures cost - "They charge money?" "I wouldn't pay X to meet THEM" etc, usually accompanied by comments like "How do you know they're genuine" "You can't get them over here, they must be fake" and "You're wasting your time with that rubbish."

The problem is that these people just don't get the hobby and never will. If I followed sport it would be acceptable, travelling hundreds of miles to meet film, tv and comics guests is just weird. Although on the occasions that I've mentioned football club reunions they soon change their tune.

• Like 2

I get the same thing, usually when I mention how much signatures cost - "They charge money?" "I wouldn't pay X to meet THEM" etc, usually accompanied by comments like "How do you know they're genuine" "You can't get them over here, they must be fake" and "You're wasting your time with that rubbish."

The problem is that these people just don't get the hobby and never will. If I followed sport it would be acceptable, travelling hundreds of miles to meet film, tv and comics guests is just weird. Although on the occasions that I've mentioned football club reunions they soon change their tune.

I have to say though my mum has had similar reaction to all my hobbies. lol! I just take it as normal now. ;)

Just reading this thread after my tickets arriving on Saturday. As the tickets are sent out by recorded/special delivery Royal Mail request/expect such items to have the sender's address on the back. That aside I think the stamp on the envelope they use is fairly discrete unlike ten tonne of the junk mail that comes through the door (and plenty of normal mail too) where it's artwork is plastered all over the envelope.

You're doing something you enjoy, it's something a bit different and sometimes people don't understand that. I used to get at work 'are you going to one of those Doctor Who conventions again?'... no I don't watch Doctor Who, I am going to a comic con which has allowed me to not only meet a diverse range of celebrities which let's face it, you would never have been able to do before, but also it's enabled me to make a lot of like-minded friends who enjoy the same thing. It's not harming anyone else and in my case I come to work every day so if I can't have some pleasure out of life, what's the point? I think I'd just sit down with the parents and explain all the positives of such an event, plus going somewhere like that, you're also being independant which another plus. Some people are happy to stay at home and watch people on the TV, but for me, if the opportunity arises, I like to take the opportunity to meet them in person and these events enable that to happen. There are just so many positives. It's a whole great community.

Have to agree with this. If you are spending your money, you are not spending more than you can afford and paying bills or anything you need to without problems, then quite honestly it is none of their business!

I suppose the problem might be if you are younger and have all this spare cash 'to waste' then the house owner might decide you should be paying more them housekeeping - you can clearly afford it after all.

I also get remarks like you must have met everybody by now, or get a little grief if I have too many parcels arrive at once.I just get stuff sent to work if expecting too much, sneak it in.

And I'm sure plenty of us tell white lies to parents or partners about how much we spend at these things. Fortunately most pricelists aren't in print. I remember when Mark Hamill was £85 and listed on a flyer. Oh that was just a typo I said.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I was lucky because when I lived at home my parents didn't care. I didn't smoke, drink, do drugs, spend money on the gym or follow any sports teams or go to much live music gigs. All of my spare cash was (and still is) spent on cons and it amused my dads work mates as they were into sci-fi and seemed impressed I'd met a load of guests. When you look at the fact that some people follow a football team around the country and spend a large amount on travel alone for that let alone the cost of matches that only last 90ish minutes or most recently that people were spending £150 for a Kate Bush ticket in London that to me seems crazy but it's each to their own and people can spend money how they like. If your parents only complain because they don't get the hobby then that will never change unfortunately because some people just don't get it. On the plus side over time some autographs will increase in price so they can be a good investment really, how about saying that!