Sci-Fi Speed Dating

SirGeeksalot

Oh you have to share with us what your job is now!!!?!!

I'm one of those 'special' butlers, I'm still pretty new at it. Sometimes I'm topless and sometimes I'm just wearing the apron/bow-tie/cuffs. I get £25 p/hr for working on parties and some corporate events. I even got a tip for £20 last Saturday so I made £80 for just 2hrs. I'm not embarrassed about it but I know it might put some potential employers and some girls off but I know not to bring it up right away. Same with cons although I don't go to them as much as I used to.

In my flat I used to have a display cabinet full of my model-kits and 1/6 action figures from Hot Toys which I loved (had to sell it all). I also had framed signed posters on my walls of my favourite movies like Aliens, Predator, Robocop etc. I wouldn't tell girls about it on our dates until we got outside my door. When I did I brought it up jokingly saying "hey check out my toy collection" so it wasn't a shock when they saw it. When they did see it though they were amazed more than anything at how cool it was and my paint skills - this always surprised me. I think its just the way I communicated it to them by presenting it as something as not a big deal and also they knew I had other interests too and they'd spent enough time with me to realise I was more than just a geek. For real though, walking into my living room was like walking into Forbidden Planet.

Awesome!!!!! 😃

nobody would want a load of people moping around a con because nobody chose them at the speed dating

But they wouldn't know about their lack of success until after the con. The usual way its done is that the speed-dating host will collect each attendees scorecard at the end of the event and then email the attendees later to let them know who they matched up with.

That particular girl sounds a bit childish herself - she's probably never experienced a con for herself so how can she even judge like that? She'd effectively dissing you and your passions too.

But like I said, people will have their pre-conceptions - they're only human so it doesn't make them bad or not right for you, they just don't understand. I'm not saying you should lie or hide things completely but just don't go into too much great detail. You have other interests so talk about them too. I have a fun interesting part time job that would put off a lot of employers or potential dates - I like doing it and it pays really well but I know I have to be subtle and calibrated to avoid people getting the wrong idea.

I'm afraid she isn't an unusual case for me (and for a couple of my friends apparently). There seem to be a lot of people out there that cling to the old stereotype that someone into sci-fi at all is someone that is embarrassing to be around or to be looked down on in general.

The last 3 dates I've been on have all reacted the same - one sent me a text after and told me that it was a pity that I was into 'that kind of thing' as I was "such a lovely bloke". It was like she'd discovered some terrible secret about me! lol It isn't just dates either - I was in a relationship with a girl last year that lasted 6 months and she initially tried to make out she was into Star Trek TNG. I gave her the whole show on DVD as I'm replacing them with the blu rays and suggested we watch a couple of episodes when I was over her house one day. She fell asleep during the first episode! When I (jokingly) said that I thought she liked it - she confessed she found Star Trek boring. She still kept the DVDs though! lol

She came with me to a con and seemed to really enjoy it but when I invited her to come with me to another, she agreed but then cancelled at the last minute (after I'd paid for the ticket! Grr!) and told me that she'd done one and that was it for her. Well, fair enough, but I still went by myself and that seemed to trigger a whole load of resentment towards sci-fi on her part and later on me. One day, she asked me when I was going to "put the toys away" and I told her that I love this stuff. At which point she threatened to come over and smash the lot! I pointed out to her that if she felt that way about it then she clearly didn't like me for who I am. She then gave me an ultimatum - I either choose her or the Daleks (my collection that were living on my book shelf). I went with the Daleks as they have a much better temperament!

It's sad but there's still a lot of feeling like that about. The right person for me will be someone who either says "cool!" or "Pfft. Wait until you see MY collection!" ;-)

- G

It's a funny thing that, some years ago I was seeing someone, I'd established early on that she wasn't remotely interested in sci-fi or anything much like that but I did mention that I attended cons etc. Figured there was no point hiding it as it was something I did so it was bound to crop up sooner or later. I got the impression that she was initially a bit funny about it but a couple of months later when I had been to CE, she told me that some of her friends had also been to that show and it suddenly seemed a lot more positive about it!

The funny thing was when we broke up we were joking about the things we wouldn't miss about each other when she said she wouldn't miss " hearing about all that Star Wars crap", the weird thing was having established that she wasn't keen on it I never really bothered talking to her about it (lets be fair even for a fanatic its hardly the sort of chat to set a mood!).

The weird thing was I can be a real bore on the subject of football and will chew anyones ear off on the subject whether they are interested or not (and she wasn't!), but that was never mentioned at all. Could never quite understand why my interests in two different things which she found equally boring inspired such different reactions, particularly when the one she directly referenced was the one that probably impacted her the least!

...Of course thinking about it, it might not have helped that she turned up unannounced one day and found me prancing round my living room dressed as Princess Leia with 'Wild Thing' playing in the background...

My wife has never been to an event , but when we first met and she came back to my flat which was full of DVDs, Action Figures, Autographs etc she couldn't have failed to notice !

She's not interested in going to events or meeting celebs, but it works fine, because we do lots of other stuff together. Sure it would be great if she shared the same interests, but I think sometimes it can actually be better when you don't necessarily do everything together, because then you appreciate the time more when you are together and can go for a lovely meal or perhaps go to the Theatre or a Museum and you can chat about what you have been doing.

Plus now we have kids and have been married for 13 years, she quite likes me taking them to events I think so she can get a bit of piece and quiet ! :smile:

• Like 1

The last 3 dates I've been on have all reacted the same - one sent me a text after and told me that it was a pity that I was into 'that kind of thing' as I was "such a lovely bloke".

I was in a relationship with a girl last year that lasted 6 months and she initially tried to make out she was into Star Trek TNG.... when I was over her house one day. She fell asleep during the first episode! When I (jokingly) said that I thought she liked it - she confessed she found Star Trek boring.

She came with me to a con and seemed to really enjoy it but when I invited her to come with me to another, she agreed but then cancelled at the last minute (after I'd paid for the ticket! Grr!) and told me that she'd done one and that was it for her. Well, fair enough, but I still went by myself and that seemed to trigger a whole load of resentment towards sci-fi on her part and later on me.

You should have told em all to sling their hooks. That just reeks of selfishness.

Sounds like those girls liked you and wanted to try and see if they could get passed the geek part of you but in the end they realised they just couldn't do it. I think that although some girls (like in your case) might be kind of OK with it at first, the thing that worries them the most is, "what will my friends think when they find out I'm dating a sci-fi geek/convention go-er?" Many girls of a certain age really care what their friends (and family) think of the guys they date. For example can you imagine how hard it would be for her to tell her girlfriends that you went on a date to "a Star Trek convention"?? Peer pressure and social standing can play a big role here. Being a sci-fi geek just isn't sexy to most girls; a sf geek is asexual in their eyes. If you're full-geek you have no chance....but if you're part-geek and can still present yourself as a sexual man then I think its more manageable to them as you're "balanced out".

I've never made a secret of any of my interests and people have to take me as they find me.

OH does enjoy some of my TV programmes (Who, Farscape) and dislikes others (Stargate, Babylon 5). I did find it bizarre that although he's into Egyptology he found SG1 boring when he watched the first few episodes when they originally aired and only watches it because I do.

He also doesn't do "celebrity" and thinks that they should be treated as just an ordinary person and not be paid to attend conventions (e.g. there is no such thing as conventions) or autographs because they shouldn't be hunted for them either.

I did strongarm him though for my birthday this year as I've said part of it is that he has to attend Sheffield in four weeks' time and have a photograph with "a celebrity". I've not actually told him which celebrity but I know it's one he will like :angel:

As for asking a girl "would you like to see my toy collection" is just asking for trouble in more ways than one :whistling:

Edited by Knitty Fred

I'm afraid she isn't an unusual case for me (and for a couple of my friends apparently). There seem to be a lot of people out there that cling to the old stereotype that someone into sci-fi at all is someone that is embarrassing to be around or to be looked down on in general.

The last 3 dates I've been on have all reacted the same - one sent me a text after and told me that it was a pity that I was into 'that kind of thing' as I was "such a lovely bloke". It was like she'd discovered some terrible secret about me! lol It isn't just dates either - I was in a relationship with a girl last year that lasted 6 months and she initially tried to make out she was into Star Trek TNG. I gave her the whole show on DVD as I'm replacing them with the blu rays and suggested we watch a couple of episodes when I was over her house one day. She fell asleep during the first episode! When I (jokingly) said that I thought she liked it - she confessed she found Star Trek boring. She still kept the DVDs though! lol

She came with me to a con and seemed to really enjoy it but when I invited her to come with me to another, she agreed but then cancelled at the last minute (after I'd paid for the ticket! Grr!) and told me that she'd done one and that was it for her. Well, fair enough, but I still went by myself and that seemed to trigger a whole load of resentment towards sci-fi on her part and later on me. One day, she asked me when I was going to "put the toys away" and I told her that I love this stuff. At which point she threatened to come over and smash the lot! I pointed out to her that if she felt that way about it then she clearly didn't like me for who I am. She then gave me an ultimatum - I either choose her or the Daleks (my collection that were living on my book shelf). I went with the Daleks as they have a much better temperament!

It's sad but there's still a lot of feeling like that about. The right person for me will be someone who either says "cool!" or "Pfft. Wait until you see MY collection!" ;-)

- G

After reading this, I'd just like to say not all women are like that, I love sci-fi, collectables and attending conventions and see these as positive qualities and things to look for in a partner.

I seem to experience the opposite reaction, where I'm looked down on by guys for being into things like this, not because they're not into it themselves, but because a girl "can't possibly" like this kind of thing, so therefore I must be fake and an attention seeker. Can't win lol.

- G

After reading this, I'd just like to say not all women are like that, I love sci-fi, collectables and attending conventions and see these as positive qualities and things to look for in a partner.

I seem to experience the opposite reaction, where I'm looked down on by guys for being into things like this, not because they're not into it themselves, but because a girl "can't possibly" like this kind of thing, so therefore I must be fake and an attention seeker. Can't win lol.

That is so true, I have no end of fellas telling me that I can't possibly understand or get certain films or tv shows etc because only men can be geeks BUT there are a few out there who seem to relish the idea of a sci fi geek girl and I've met a few decent guys through and because of it so it can be a fickle double edged sword :D

As for asking a girl "would you like to see my toy collection" is just asking for trouble in more ways than one :whistling:

I call it "an action figure collection". Toys doesn't come into it. I deliberately say it in a way so that they're not sure if I'm joking or not. I'm really blase about it like its no big deal. So I show to to them, they bend over to look at the bottom shelf and then I 'accidentally' bump into them.... :whistling:

Edited by nicky
  • Like 1

- G

I don't understand why some people are like that - I've seen a lot of stuff online about that sort of thing and I know a couple of friends who have also experienced that... It's always great to meet anyone who share my interests and, personally, I'd love to meet a girl who shared them! :-)

That is so true, I have no end of fellas telling me that I can't possibly understand or get certain films or tv shows etc because only men can be geeks BUT there are a few out there who seem to relish the idea of a sci fi geek girl and I've met a few decent guys through and because of it so it can be a fickle double edged sword :D

I hope you laugh at the daft guys that say only men can be geeks! Surely the only requirement to be a geek is to be passionate about something that a lot of other people only have a casual interest in at best. That's why I like geeky women as I really like it when someone is very passionate about something. A lot of my friends laugh at me because there are a couple of female presenters on The Sky At Night that I really like because they're geeky and their intense interest in space and astronomy really comes through when they're talking. I find that really attractive plus I could listen to them talking all day because while they're talking I'm also learning! So fun and educational too! lol

- G

Edited by SirGeeksalot

Trust me not all girls are like that. Some men are too. The moment I mention any thing geeky they back pedal and do the old it's not you it's your interests line. And I'm nowhere near as geeky as I could be ;-)

I know - I'm not lucky enough to have met a girl that isn't like that yet though. If a girl mentioned something geeky to me, I'd be saying "Cool! Tell me more!" lol It would be great to meet someone who you couldn't be too geeky with! :-)

- G

One of my best friends at work is turning into a bit of a nerd, asking me about comic book films, Big Bang theory etc. and my best mates girlfriend used to be a closet Trekkie until she found out I liked it and she's more open about it now and I think we're going to DST in October.

It is difficult to change someone's mind about comics etc, I met a girl last year and she kept referring to them as cartoons, and my explanation was cartoon are on screen like Tom & Jerry, and comics are on paper like Spider-Man. She couldn't grasp that, although she seemed interested in my collectables like my statues and memorabilia and watched Captain America and Thor, but upon me explaining parts (which she asked to have explained) she was amazed how I knew it and why I knew it.

Again, can't win.

Not the end of the world though, I've moved in from it and it hasn't had any impact on what I like.

I'd love to meet a girl at a Con though, I did start a thread in the LFCCW topic not knowing this was here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"I have gotten talking to lots of people at these things but unfortunately I never seem to meet any single women there that live anywhere near me. They all seem to be from up north, Scotland, Ireland and places like that. Nothing wrong with those places of course, but too far from me in the south!"

Took the words right out of my mouth! :)

Edited by Radio_Jim

• 3 weeks later...

I went sci-fi speed dating last year in the US and it was a bit crazy! :D didn't help of course that nearly every single person there was from the surrounding area oops also I didn't realise that they made the guys pay like $25 each and let the girls in for free :o only went cause I was wandering around and it happened to be on when nothing much else was happening and wanted to see what it was like

I was a little put off by all the people that were talking comics and asking me what my favourite comics were and authors and characters and a few seemed genuinely horrified that I said I don't really do comics but yet was there :unsure:

always thought it would be epic to meet someone that does the shows and/or Red Carpets/Premiers as I seem to spend most of my days off crewing/attending these things :smile: so it would be great as otherwise there is even less time to spend time with them :WINCE:
but if they weren't into premiers/theatre/stage doors/cons/shows, they should atleast understand/accept that I AM into that and it's a huge part of my life :coolthumb:

funnily enough, still single :lol:

surfy sah xx

also, I saw the guy doing sci-fi speed dating again and just curiously enquired about him coming to a UK con, he gets paid an appearance fee of what sounded like 1000s of $ AND the $25 from each male attendee of each session AND hotel, transport etc paid I think urg! but apparently he just con-hops and does it at all the cons and it's his business :huh:

• Like 1

I went sci-fi speed dating last year in the US and it was a bit crazy! :D didn't help of course that nearly every single person there was from the surrounding area oops also I didn't realise that they made the guys pay like $25 each and let the girls in for free :o only went cause I was wandering around and it happened to be on when nothing much else was happening and wanted to see what it was like

I was a little put off by all the people that were talking comics and asking me what my favourite comics were and authors and characters and a few seemed genuinely horrified that I said I don't really do comics but yet was there :unsure:

always thought it would be epic to meet someone that does the shows and/or Red Carpets/Premiers as I seem to spend most of my days off crewing/attending these things :smile: so it would be great as otherwise there is even less time to spend time with them :WINCE:

but if they weren't into premiers/theatre/stage doors/cons/shows, they should atleast understand/accept that I AM into that and it's a huge part of my life :coolthumb:

surfy sah xx

also, I saw the guy doing sci-fi speed dating again and just curiously enquired about him coming to a UK con, he gets paid an appearance fee of what sounded like 1000s of $ AND the $25 from each male attendee of each session AND hotel, transport etc paid I think urg! but apparently he just con-hops and does it at all the cons and it's his business :huh:

Not sure I'd pay $25 for a speed dating event - especially if it's so difficult for them to find women they're letting them in for free! lol

Same for me really - I spend a lot of time at cons and similar things (as an attendee) and that seems to be a problem to a lot of people. I get a lot of enjoyment out of going to conventions and events like that so they'd need to at least be ok with that but I admit it'd be really great if I met someone who actually also got enjoyment from going to them as well.

- G

surfy sah xx

Not sure I'd pay $25 for a speed dating event - especially if it's so difficult for them to find women they're letting them in for free! lol

Same for me really - I spend a lot of time at cons and similar things (as an attendee) and that seems to be a problem to a lot of people. I get a lot of enjoyment out of going to conventions and events like that so they'd need to at least be ok with that but I admit it'd be really great if I met someone who actually also got enjoyment from going to them as well.

- G

Have any of you guys thought about going to another country and bring back a bride? She will attend all the events with you... :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

surfy sah xx

- G

Have any of you guys thought about going to another country and bring back a bride? She will attend all the events with you... :whistling:

Nope. Not thought about it. :-P

- G

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

SirGeeksalot, you don't want a 'geeky' girl. Trust me. You'd find yourself constantly having to compete with the likes of Nathan Fillion or whoever she had a fan-girl crush on at that moment. Would you want that? True 'geeky' or 'nerdy' women are not interested in relationships. They don't fit into society's norms. They'll take an evening alone with a box-set of Firefly or Game Of Thrones any day over a date with you. They'd rather lock themselves away for a weekend with Kingdom of Hearts than take any interest in your heart.

Take this thread for example. How many women have posted in here? Have you had any contact you from here? I'm willing to bet not. I've read some of your posts and you sound like a very smart and funny guy. Those snotty girls you talk about in your post sound like idiots but don't let them put you off. Don't fall into the trap of thinking another geek will be your match.

• 4 months later...

Wow Sisterof_CMarcus that sounds rather rude!! :thumbdown: especially as I would call myself geeky and I am a girl :poki:
and FYI, I'm not a huge fan of boxsets, unless watching WITH some one :P

I'm not sure why they made the guys pay, like I said, didn't realise!
I guess it's like to make sure they aren't "creepy" or something and are genuinely looking for someone and not just oogling the girls? especially as a lot of them had skimpy costumes on :lol:

surfy sah xx