Scottish bank notes questioned

I didn't have a problem in the venue either actually. Here in Scotland we don't really bother about all this Royal Family stuff, it's a bit hokey and so we don't have any Queens on our currency lol. I guess that gives it away right? When they don't see one of the Queen Margarets smiling on the note lol.

I'm very confident we will go independent in September. The American and Canadian dollar have a slight difference in value, i'm sure the same will be said for our pound.

TBH I really don't think it's worth anyone getting "offended" over.

Having handled Pounds Sterling 99.9% of my life, I could no more tell you if a Scottish note was any more authentic than if someone shoved some Australian dollars under my nose for the first time. Just because Scotland is a stones throw from England doesn't mean anything.

And I say this having worked in retail, having handled Scottish notes once every blue moon!

I have to say when i worked in retail we would get the odd Scottish note.

I personally would always be a little skeptical as i had no way of telling if they were real or not (not like with English notes)

I would say next time it might be worth exchanging them for English notes or getting some extra cash out at a cash point.

But the whole point of the original post is that we Scots shouldn't be treated any differently since we are all part of Britain. We shouldn't need to get English money out. Admittedly I do do this, ever since my Scottish money was refused at a signing table (really embarrassing with the actor looking on at me being refused service).

As for not being able to tell if they are real - you do it the same way you do with any British money. Check it against the light and also look for the metallic strip. No different. Working in retail you must know that.

the biggest mugs in retail are the ones that check it against the light and look for the magnetic strip as a way of making sure its real. thats no way to be 100% sure, counterfitters can do the magnetic strip now (easily).

"Oh look, it's Monopoly money!" Yes, very droll, you are indeed a hoot and not being at all offensive or racist *sigh*

Offensive? Potentially. Unfunny? Almost certainly. But racist? That would kind of require the Scots and English to be biologically different from each other, or at least perceived as such. We may have our quirky individualities, but I don't perceive the Scots to be a different race to me, and so find it difficult to see how it can be "racist".

I would politely express your distaste to the individual, who may not realise just how tedious and irritating they are being:

"Oh look, it's Monopoly money!"

"Oh look, it's a joke that wasn't even very funny in 1954. Are you this rude to all your customers?"

But the whole point of the original post is that we Scots shouldn't be treated any differently since we are all part of Britain. We shouldn't need to get English money out. Admittedly I do do this, ever since my Scottish money was refused at a signing table (really embarrassing with the actor looking on at me being refused service).

In cases like that you should refuse to yield your place in the queue and demand that a pit boss be summoned. (In all fairness, since this is a frequent bugbear, SM really should brief their cash-handling staff about the acceptability of Scottish and Northern Irish currency.)

"Oh look, it's Monopoly money!" Yes, very droll, you are indeed a hoot and not being at all offensive or racist *sigh*

Offensive? Potentially. Unfunny? Almost certainly. But racist? That would kind of require the Scots and English to be biologically different from each other, or at least perceived as such. We may have our quirky individualities, but I don't perceive the Scots to be a different race to me, and so find it difficult to see how it can be "racist".

I would politely express your distaste to the individual, who may not realise just how tedious and irritating they are being:

"Oh look, it's Monopoly money!"

"Oh look, it's a joke that wasn't even very funny in 1954. Are you this rude to all your customers?"

Racist?!?

This is the first time I've been informed the Scots are a different and separate ethnicity! Who knew.

The mere suggestion of racist behaviour based upon refusal of Scottish currency is absolutely ludicrous!

The English bailed out the Scottish banks?? Wasn't it the whole of the UK that bailed out the banks?

You are indeed correct.

Also, what specifically Scottish banks were bailed out?

RBS?

Just because it has Scotland in the title doesn't make it an exclusively Scottish bank though! Also, funny how that Northern Rock was one of the first banks to go belly up but no, lets state that the ENGLISH bailed out the SCOTTISH banks. Pretty narrow minded view.

I have to say when i worked in retail we would get the odd Scottish note.

I personally would always be a little skeptical as i had no way of telling if they were real or not (not like with English notes)

I would say next time it might be worth exchanging them for English notes or getting some extra cash out at a cash point.

As for not being able to tell if they are real - you do it the same way you do with any British money. Check it against the light and also look for the metallic strip. No different. Working in retail you must know that.

I don't think its you being treated differently. Its just a confusion with the money and as we rarely get Scottish notes in London and down south. Plus if they need to give out change etc they need to have enough english notes etc.

I still think getting English money out or exchanging will save from any issues as it is so busy and hetic and if people aren't aware of these notes i would understand their hesitation to take them.

Even though I used to work in retail we weren't shown anything about Scottish notes and I wouldn't accept them most the time.

Actually ... Scottish banknotes are NOT legal tender.

Sorry, but it's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7203378.stm

actually english bank notes are no longer legal tender either, as they can not back the promise of a "pound of sterling" as a replacement for the paper pound which is what they were based on historically.

personally i find it offensive when english people make those stupid monopoly money jokes; i tend to wipe the smirk from their face when i tell them i find what they have just said as racist and point out they wouldnt be making the same comment to someone from say kenya...and then english people wonder why we wont to vote "Yes" and have a republic of scotland and leave the UK!

The English bailed out the Scottish banks?? Wasn't it the whole of the UK that bailed out the banks? Also, what specifically Scottish banks were bailed out?

as far as i'm aware it was British tax payers money that was used to bail out all of the banks that folded

I've worked in retail for years and was never taught about Scottish bank notes. Why would I be? I wasn't shown money from any other country either as people generally pay in the currency of the country they are in.

And as for jokes about monopoly money?

I'm a little confused that people are saying that's racist????

Edited by kitten101

We wont have this problem when we are independant and have our own money and it will be better than any other currency in the world and they say no one can get into Scotland without a visa so paperwork will need to filed for everyone wanting to come here. All we do is look at the applicants paper, hmmm who's this Anthony Head, what he can do for our economy, how he can he benefit our Utopian society for the 3 days he will be visiting? Then a decision will be made. Back to the good old days.The days when you could leave your front door unlocked at night and people helped each other out.

• Like 1

I've worked in retail for years and was never taught about Scottish bank notes. Why would I be? I wasn't shown money from any other country either as people generally pay in the currency of the country they are in.

The currency IS the same as the country you are in - the currency is sterling. At the moment we are all part of the United Kingdom and all use the same currency!

Also, jokes about Scottish notes isn't racist but is very tiresome when you hear it so often!

• Like 1

The currency IS the same as the country you are in - the currency is sterling. At the moment we are all part of the United Kingdom and all use the same currency!

Also, jokes about Scottish notes isn't racist but is very tiresome when you hear it so often!

I stand corrected. The currency IS sterling. Which begs the question why have different notes at all?

My answer still stands though. We were never shown Scottish notes and as I would be held accountable for any notes deemed fake, I honestly wouldn't accept them.

I accept the argument that English people may have never seen a Scottish note before however anyone working with cash for showmasters should be trained as to what is and what isn't acceptable currency.

If you start a job in retail they would train you and let you know that 'this is sterling and acceptable, we don't accept Euros etc etc'

If Showmasters aren't training their cash handlers on what is and isn't acceptable currency then that's just laziness or poor management. No excuses

I think your faith in retailers training their staff in types of money is a tad ill placed. Having worked in some form of retail at one time or another for the past 28 years I have not once been schooled in what is legal tender and what is not. All I have been shown is how to determine if a note is fake or not.

• Like 1

I just make sure to use an ATM machine that gives out English banknotes before I travel down to England.

At the LFCC I found a spare Scottish 20 pound note in my wallet and the staff member standing next to me said it was only worth half as much. I didn't know if he was joking or not so just decided not to spend it and put it back in my wallet.

Working in retail with lots of cash part of our training is to question everything if you're not sure, no one should be offended by it IF it's done in a well mannered professional way. With the amount of fraudulent notes that there are floating around it is only natural to question some things, that goes for £50 notes too.

The English bailed out the Scottish banks?? Wasn't it the whole of the UK that bailed out the banks? Also, what specifically Scottish banks were bailed out?

as far as i'm aware it was British tax payers money that was used to bail out all of the banks that folded

In your haste to point out the difference between British and English you have ignored the contributions of the Northern Irish taxpayers

The English bailed out the Scottish banks?? Wasn't it the whole of the UK that bailed out the banks?

You are indeed correct.

Also, what specifically Scottish banks were bailed out?

RBS?

Just because it has Scotland in the title doesn't make it an exclusively Scottish bank though!

* I never claimed it was an "exclusively Scottish" bank

* You never asked for "exclusively Scottish" bank

* I would note that RBS is a Scottish-registered company, with a Scottish registration number, a headquarters in Scotland, and at the time it was saved from going down the pan, both the Chief Executive and the Chairman were Scots. Doesn't make it "exclusively Scottish", but you'd have a hard job passing it off as Cornish or Welsh. :smile:

But yes, RBS would never have required such a huge bailout (from all of us in the UK) if they hadn't previously been sufficiently successful enough to acquire a load of English, Welsh and Northern Irish money (and overseas money as well) to put with all the Scottish money, which they managed to so disasterously invest.

Actually, if you had read the thread properly I think you'll find that I was replying to a post from 'Indestructible' - it was them who stated that it was the ENGLISH who had bailed out the SCOTTISH banks - I then ASKED what specifically Scottish banks were bailed out and you replied RBS.

Also, it was the whole banking sector that was in crisis at the time (wasn't the first in trouble Northern Rock??)

• Like 1