Scottish bank notes questioned

I'm sure its something like they are legal currency but not legal tender. Whenever I'm down in England shops always do look strangely at them but have never been refused. For things lime lfcc I would usually either use a cash machine in town that I know gives English notes or go into bank.

I lived in Northern Ireland for 8 years and always had the same problem when I visited England. We are so used to just dealing with the same old English currency. I've always dealt with it by pointing out that it says "sterling" meaning that it's legal in English and people have half nodded and accepted it. The currency is pound sterling after all.

They can be forgiven if they've never seen that kind of money before they can think you are having a laugh with them. I had a strong accent at the time and as soon as I spoke they got that I was for Northern Ireland and then saw sterling and were on board.

I've never seen Scottish notes as I've never been to Scotland (yes yes I know, I need to) so would have no idea if they were ok or not if I was handed some. Most English people will probably never have encountered them and wouldn't know whether they'd be ok to accept or not.

• Like 1

Apologies. Ignore the Euro part then. Also I don't know how to quote either. Sorry.

Edited by johnson1970

As a useful point to keep in mind, any company or individual is allowed to decide for themselves what they will accept for payment for things to be provided, be it entry to a show, photo-shoot, loaf of bread etc,

This means that regardless of the actual definition and purpose of 'legal tender' (which is always useful to know when arguing with a picky person like me :smile:) they can refuse to accept Scottish notes, £50 notes etc if they choose to and you cannot insist that they accept them.

• Like 1

I remember years ago when my mum was paying for autos with an English £50 as she had went to bank to get english money but they didn't have anything smaller. Person taking the money wasn't very happy even though she spent £40 and she thought she had done the right thing by specifically bringing English notes.

I have to say when i worked in retail we would get the odd Scottish note.

I personally would always be a little skeptical as i had no way of telling if they were real or not (not like with English notes)

I would say next time it might be worth exchanging them for English notes or getting some extra cash out at a cash point.

But the whole point of the original post is that we Scots shouldn't be treated any differently since we are all part of Britain. We shouldn't need to get English money out. Admittedly I do do this, ever since my Scottish money was refused at a signing table (really embarrassing with the actor looking on at me being refused service).

As for not being able to tell if they are real - you do it the same way you do with any British money. Check it against the light and also look for the metallic strip. No different. Working in retail you must know that.

• Like 1

As a useful point to keep in mind, any company or individual is allowed to decide for themselves what they will accept for payment for things to be provided, be it entry to a show, photo-shoot, loaf of bread etc,

This means that regardless of the actual definition and purpose of 'legal tender' (which is always useful to know when arguing with a picky person like me :smile:) they can refuse to accept Scottish notes, £50 notes etc if they choose to and you cannot insist that they accept them.

Yes you are correct with what you are saying but works both ways, if a Scottish event or shopkeeper decided to not accept bank if England notes then they are within there right to refuse it!

Actually Scottish banknotes are not legal tender - even in Scotland. They are 'legal currency' ie not illegal to produce; but they don't have to be accepted by retailers (although they generally are). Think that this, along with the fact that we don't tend to see them down south, has led to confusion.

In addition to this 'English' banknotes are not legal tender in Scotland either - it is a quirk of Scottish law that no currency has the status of 'legal tender'.

Also, by the time LF&CC 2015 rolls around the Scottish may well be independent and will have to ge their £ at a bureau de change (depending on which polliticians you believe).

Edited by gobo1979uk
  • Like 2

I didn't have an issue in the venue actually, but it's maybe because I was paying with a mix of notes.

I did however, on four seperate occassions have problems spending Scottish notes at other locations in London, including two pubs, a McDonalds and the Science museum.

Unfortunately, the independence thing ain't gonna happen (pretty much every respectable poll has the Yes vote at around 35%), so spending Scottish notes in the south of England is always gonna be an issue.

If they accept Euros without question they should accept ours too. Quite unacceptable. Thankfully did not have this problem myself as all my Scottish notes were accepted. Might just be individuals lacking knowledge.

They accept Euros at SM events?!?! What?!

When I exchange the money, I naturally get 50 pound notes too, but almost every time the crew seems suspicious when I hand them over. Are those notes really that rare in everyday use?

According to my oldest brother who is now a retired Met Police Officer, £50 notes are both the most common forged note and also the least in general retail circulation. At work we recently had notification that certain £50 note designs/numbered sequences were being withdrawn due to counterfitting. To my personal knowledge, the £20 note is the highest available from cash points in the UK.

• Like 1

If they accept Euros without question they should accept ours too. Quite unacceptable. Thankfully did not have this problem myself as all my Scottish notes were accepted. Might just be individuals lacking knowledge.

When I exchange the money, I naturally get 50 pound notes too, but almost every time the crew seems suspicious when I hand them over. Are those notes really that rare in everyday use?

According to my oldest brother who is now a retired Met Police Officer, £50 notes are both the most common forged note and also the least in general retail circulation. At work we recently had notification that certain £50 note designs/numbered sequences were being withdrawn due to counterfitting. To my personal knowledge, the £20 note is the highest available from cash points in the UK.

In what way? In terms of forged to genuine of each note (eg number of forged £50 notes to genuine £50 notes compaired to all other notes issued? Or in total number?

The below link gives an idea of forged Bank of England notes:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/about/counterfeits.aspx#

On Scottish notes I've never had a problem.

• Like 1

In what way? In terms of forged to genuine of each note (eg number of forged £50 notes to genuine £50 notes compaired to all other notes issued? Or in total number?

The below link gives an idea of forged Bank of England notes:

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/about/counterfeits.aspx#

On Scottish notes I've never had a problem.

If you are referring to the £50 notes in general retail circulation, then actual real ones. Many reasons are suggested as to why this is and they range from people not liking to carry them as losing them is a very heavy hit compared to a £10 or £20, or the fact cash machines don't usually dispense them. After he moved to the CID division he obviously did more detective work compared to being in uniform and thus certain trends popped up. I can remember him telling me about 10 years ago that whenever he investigated a shop burgulary or robbery the majority of notes stolen were £20 and £10 due to them being the most in general circulation and the usual denominations dispensed from cash machines.

I persoanlly would not like to carry £50 notes too much as the thought of losing them is horrible.

I accept the argument that English people may have never seen a Scottish note before however anyone working with cash for showmasters should be trained as to what is and what isn't acceptable currency.

If you start a job in retail they would train you and let you know that 'this is sterling and acceptable, we don't accept Euros etc etc'

If Showmasters aren't training their cash handlers on what is and isn't acceptable currency then that's just laziness or poor management. No excuses

• Like 3