Scottish bank notes questioned

First let me say great show showmasters 👍👍

Ok I have a bit of a gripe.

I attend most shows down south and On most occasions when I hand over my Scottish notes I am questioned about this. The staff who take my cash look at it as if it's foreign cash and even ask other staff members is this genuine ??? Thankfully there are some people with the common sense to realise it is legal tender.

I must admit I find this really offensive and embarrassing and I am fed up explaining that it is legal tender.

I have spoke to fellow scots who have had same problem and are are also fed up with this!

I would greatly appreciate is staff are made aware of this if taken money.

• Like 1

If they accept Euros without question they should accept ours too. Quite unacceptable. Thankfully did not have this problem myself as all my Scottish notes were accepted. Might just be individuals lacking knowledge.

• Like 1

Well I bank with Natwest anyway, so I tend to take them out before I leave for London. So the cash I take down with me is English anyway.

I am not saying it's not crap that they question them, we had it done in Nandos when we were there for LFCC lol, it's very annoying. But there are ways around it :)!

if you've never seen a scottish note before (I haven't) I would say it would be normal to question them (didn't even know these was separate scottish money)....but then i'd question euros too.

Edited by LadyDeTemps

If they accept Euros without question they should accept ours too. Quite unacceptable. Thankfully did not have this problem myself as all my Scottish notes were accepted. Might just be individuals lacking knowledge.

Correct, I have to say my money had never been refused but to be questioned is bad enough.

Prob out of the 12 times I handed cash over I was asked about 6 times which is ridiculous.

On one occasion the girl laughed and said oh Scottish money held it up and made a joke about it! Now I have a good sense of humor but I would prefer take my cash and don't joke or question it.

They accept Euros at SM events?!?! What?!

When I exchange the money, I naturally get 50 pound notes too, but almost every time the crew seems suspicious when I hand them over. Are those notes really that rare in everyday use?

• Like 1

When I exchange the money, I naturally get 50 pound notes too, but almost every time the crew seems suspicious when I hand them over. Are those notes really that rare in everyday use?

I've used £50 notes to pay for stuff at shops before...yes you do get a double take (followed by good service...I think they think I'm rich. lol!). Not a lot of people use them...the B&B I stayed in once however didn't even blink. (I just find it easier paying accommodation bills using higher denomination money than carrying round lots of £20 notes.)

Edited by LadyDeTemps

they do not accept Euros at SM events. trust me, I would know.

50 pounds notes are pretty rare, I often get that look too. same thing when I was in Disney World in May and made the mistake to show up with crisp 50 dollars notes. ><

Yeah also had this problem many off times. The thing is if your spending alot of money at these shows and attending for one day, you can only lift out a certain amount per day so I usually need to take money out the day b4 then more when arrive in england. This can be very embarrassing!!

• Like 1

I've been going to Showmasters shows in London & Milton Keynes for years and never had a problem with them accepting Scottish notes. However, this has happened to me at a rival show years ago and I just took my money back and walked away. If they question your money don't give them your business!

This won't be an issue post Independance anyway - we'll have the Irn-Bru bottle as our currency!!

• Like 1

Actually ... Scottish banknotes are NOT legal tender.

Sorry, but it's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7203378.stm

Ok sorry my mistake on notes being tender but neither is Bank of England notes legal tender here in Scotland but we never question it

Came across this in my research

Are Scottish bank notes legal tender? No, not even in Scotland, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be used. It simply means most people don't understand what legal tender is (see below). Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales, meaning there are no legal tender notes in Scotland at all.

• Like 1

Think about it from the crew members perspective, they are being presented with what is likely to be unfamiliar looking currency knowing that if they accept it and there turns out to be a problem they will be the ones getting it in the neck. I know in every place I've ever worked where I have had to handle cash I was always told that if you're not sure about something then check. Admittedly there is a right and wrong way of doing that but I don't think you can blame someone for asking when they are not sure.

• Like 3

I've used £50 notes to pay for stuff at shops before...yes you do get a double take (followed by good service...I think they think I'm rich. lol!). Not a lot of people use them...the B&B I stayed in once however didn't even blink. (I just find it easier paying accommodation bills using higher denomination money than carrying round lots of £20 notes.)

In one of my previous job we weren't aloud to accept £50's. That caused a few arguments for sure. The reason was, firstly, that we rarely had the change in the till for a £50, and also those notes are a lot easier to forge so you can't be 100% it's real.

I have to say when i worked in retail we would get the odd Scottish note.

I personally would always be a little skeptical as i had no way of telling if they were real or not (not like with English notes)

I would say next time it might be worth exchanging them for English notes or getting some extra cash out at a cash point.

• Like 1

Wait until there here in August in Glasgow. Bet the crew accepts our money then. I'm sure we wnot have a problem.

• Like 1

I'm Scottish, and so sick of having the discussion about notes that I change them to English ones, but I shouldn't have to.

Apparently it's that we have many different kinds (Bank of Scotland, Clydesdale etc) whereas the English only have the one. It's claimed it's to cut down on forgeries, but I work in a cash office and have seen English note forgeries too.

I don't know why Scottish banks do their own notes and English banks don't. But I really can't be bothered with the whole thing anymore.

"Oh look, it's Monopoly money!" Yes, very droll, you are indeed a hoot and not being at all offensive or racist *sigh*

• Like 3

Actually ... Scottish banknotes are NOT legal tender.

Sorry, but it's true.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7203378.stm

When I was being trained at a retail job years ago, I was told that I could take Scottish notes as they were legal tender as they were part of our Sterling. So I have always taken no questions asked when I had retail/pub work, checked them (as they are possible to see if fake) and given the change in sterling.