Motion Capture:Are they Actors?

mflowers

So I was reading recently with Andy Serkis and him not getting Oscars because Motion Capture isn't seen as acting.

With Dawn of the Planet of the Apes out it got me thinking and I wondered what you all thought, are the people who are motion captured actors or not?

I personally think Motion Capture is acting as their facial expressions etc.) are important in making you feel more for the characters.

What do you all think?

Edited by mflowers
  • Like 1

When I saw Serkis performance again I really felt in with him, the performance was spectacular, I really hope SM can bring some of the Actors in the motion Capture from the Planet of the Apes films.

I think the Oscars should start recognising it, I agree with Bumper tha perhaps it should be a seperate category, but should it be? Is motion capture right to be in regular acting? After all what do we class as an actor?

So I was reading recently with Andy Serkis and him not getting Oscars because Motion Capture isn't seen as acting.

With Dawn of the Planet of the Apes out it got me thinking and I wondered what you all thought, are the people who are motion captured actors or not?

I personally think Motion Capture is acting as their facial expressions etc.) are important in making you feel more for the characters.

What do you all think?

What is the definition of acting? Who decides what is acting?

Lillian Gish saddled both sides of the fence with regards to silent films and talkie films.

Charlie Chaplin dabbled in the silent films.

These two and many others were honoured for their acting yet did films with no talking.

What Andy Serkis does is acting in my personal opinion. Motion captor is used to capture natural movement and then that is used

to have a character (Cesar in the Apes films) act as normally as possible. As mentioned in a previous post, his facial expressions are

done by Andy Serkis and used for Cesar. These bodily and facial movements are carrying out a role...acting a character.

So, if actors/actresses like Gish and Chaplin are recognised as such for silent films, then why not Serkis for his contributions as Cesar?

I'd say that it depends. Some motion capture is just to get basic movements (such as for Sport games). To me, thats not acting. However, if an actor is trying to portray dialogue and physical expressions, then I'd personally class it as acting. I guess the issue is things like facial expressions and eyes are part of traditional acting and they are not directly in the control of the performer.

• 4 weeks later...