Thoughts about the Sherlocked talk at LFCC ?

robertderidder

I was at the Sherlocked talk at LFCC and was quite unimpressed with the answers of the writer-producers of the show. "Watch season 4" seemed to be the clever answer.

When asked any in depth question there really rarely was an in depth answer. In fact, what I got from the writers, was that everything that isn't obvious from the show, they haven't thought about themselves.

It makes me wonder if at an official Sherlocked convention, this might not bring disappointment, as people will not get the answers they are hoping for.

Anyone else have feelings about this?

• Moderators

Not in the slightest. I thought it had a great energy, they're clearly big fans of the characters and have been for many years, and it was very enjoyable to be a part of.

As with Doctor Who, I would not expect anything to be given away .. in fact, even moreso than Who. They've always been very secretive about the show and to the benefit of it. Nothing worse than spoiling everything.

So no, for me it was a pleasure to see those involved and I don't regret going to it. I only managed this and Stan Lee really, and both were great.

• Like 2

Not really, the talk was free so they were under no obligation to put on some sort of all singing and dancing mega event. With regards to the "Watch Season Four" comment, I certainly wouldn't blame them for not giving away any plot points for the next season, in fact from a viewers perspective I'm glad they didn't. That said, I was sat near the back so it wasn't always possible to hear everything that was asked or the answers. I have to say though, I wasn't overly concious of questions not being answered properly.

As for this being an indication that the Sherlocked event may be a dissapointment, I suppse it depends what you expect to get out of the event. Personally I didn't come away with any concerns and found the talk very enjoyable, if I did have a dissapointment it was only that no firm information about the event has come out yet.

You had to deduce the answers. ;)

People kept asking about future episodes when from the first time they said watch season 4, I would have changed tack and come from different angle. Asked about through processes..which would then lead you to the answers you seek by extrapolating what they would think to do.

For example ask them what their fave stories in the books were.

I wasn't at all disappointed, I didn't expect them to tell us anything about season 4, especially since they may not even have started writing it yet, and they've always kept things very close to their chests so people asking the questions should have known they'd not be told anything. I found it quite enjoyable and made me look forward to the convention even more. Now we just need to know when and where :)

What worries me more is the lack of solid info. If it could happen and day now with no notice, does that give enough notice for a (good) convention to come together? They don't even know where it's going to be (cities) so how can anyone involved i.e. Vendors etc. get prepared with no notice? They may pull it off, who knows! I've been to a stellar convention and an incredibly disappointing and lackluster convention and the bad one was way too expensive and hyped to have been so slapdash and unorganized. I do hope that they can pull off what we are all anticipating. I was not at the preview but have heard a lot if folks were disappointed. I myself don't want spoilers, but do hope to have a memorable time. That is IF I can go based on dates once they're solidified.

I'm not fussed about vendors personally, I think they are a harder fit at cons rather than the massive signing shops - as the cons are generally smalled at the ones I've attended you generally only get a handfull of stalls.

The talk was good what I heard of it as the sound was terrible but I'm sure the majority of us were happy with the "watch season 4" replies I personally hate spoilers and wouldn't want to know anything about the new series until it airs!!

What worries me more is the lack of solid info. If it could happen and day now with no notice, does that give enough notice for a (good) convention to come together? They don't even know where it's going to be (cities) so how can anyone involved i.e. Vendors etc. get prepared with no notice? They may pull it off, who knows! I've been to a stellar convention and an incredibly disappointing and lackluster convention and the bad one was way too expensive and hyped to have been so slapdash and unorganized. I do hope that they can pull off what we are all anticipating. I was not at the preview but have heard a lot if folks were disappointed. I myself don't want spoilers, but do hope to have a memorable time. That is IF I can go based on dates once they're solidified.

I think there were some crossed wires when the word preview was used I read it as it would be a preview of what happens at a con and that's what it was a Q&A I never read it as we were going to get any info about the actual event itself but I believe there were quite a few who did so I'm guessing they would be the disappointed ones.

It did what it said on the tin and to be honest I do hope we get some info soon as I still maintain the original announcement was when it was to poke at another con organiser rather than give people and fans any actual information.

I think what SM are doing with this one is making sure there's a time period, eg next year, where all the guests they want are free. Then book venues around that. I would have thought London for this since it's the first one and where the show is set.

I was near the back so the sound was a bit echo-ey, and I only caught every word in five or so, but it was clear they have a lot of love for Sherlock.

It was great to see Gatiss in the flesh, and I like how they talked about the large gaps between series making it feel like an 'event' :)

• Like 1

I got to sit in a room with Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue. Nah, I'm not disappointed. XD easily pleased I suppose. I mean, the aucoustics where shocking and probably should have been tested more than they apparently were and it would have been nice to have some form of information about the actual conventions (that's what I was expecting, dunno about everyone else...)

Not disappointed, thought it was very good of them to come along and give their time to a fan event. Mark Gatiss was his usual charming self, he and Steven Moffatt are huge Sherlock fans and you need to have read the original Sherlock books to catch everything they said in relation to the show I suppose. I wanted to ask them what they talk about on train journeys now as that will give us some idea on the next successful show. LOL

• Like 1

I was more disappointed with the questions being asked. When Steven Moffat, Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue actually had a question they could answer, I thought their answers were amazing. And very insightful. And interesting to listen to. The acoustics/sound was horrendous so no one could hear anyone else and the management of the queue was a tad shocking, but the content was great.

• Like 1

I wasn't at the show the day of the talk, but I wouldn't have wanted to find out much about the new series, if anything. There seems to be some fans now that want to know everything about a new series, which for me takes away the fun of watching the new series, if you already know what's coming.

• Like 1

I just have to say I loved how they did that scene :) How they made it seem initially like they might be a client and he ends up shoving them out the door like an embarrased teenager.

Same here, even though I'd been spoiled for the casting choice. It was all the more hilarious because I'd never seen pictures of the actors, so it took me almost the whole scene to catch on! :D