Organization of Stan Lee events at LFCC 2014

I only went to LFCC 2014 because of Stan Lee. I bought a Comic Gold ticket for this. As I was also at another event for Stan, I really can say that the LFCC 2014 was less satisfactory in almost every way for me. No misunderstanding here: Stan himself was absolutely amazing!! It is fantastic that he came to London at the age of 91 and he worked very hard to please as many fans as possible with signings, photo shoots, etc. The reason I am disappointed is because of the way Showmasters has organized the events:

- "Stan Lee talk (Audience)" and all other talks at Super Stage: The sound system was really bad. Much echoes, often the speakers on stage were difficult to understand.

- "Stan Lee Meet & Greet": The event was planned in this way: There were several tables (maybe 8-9?). No chairs, so all people standing. Showmasters planned that Stan walks from table to table so he talks with the fans. To be clear: A 91 YEAR OLD MAN WAS SUPPOSED TO WALK AND STAND FOR 30-45 MINUTES WITHOUT ANY POSSIBILITY OF SITTING DOWN!!! That's completely unacceptable and would have been an impertinence for Stan. Luckily for Stan this plan was changed last-minute and instead it was a Q&A on stage where he could sit while talking to us. Luckily for Stan, but unfortunately for the fans. This way it was no real "Meet & Greet". The Meet & Greet elsewhere was much more personal with much less people. I hoped to say some sentences to Stan, but it was not possible. Why couldn't Showmasters simply organize that we meet Stan in a room, he would sit in front of us and speaks with a small group (or several small groups one after another)? Someone wrote there were 150 people, this could be an exact estimate and 150 at the same time is way too much for a Meet & Greet.

- The air conditioning was not good, in EC1 (Brompton hall) as well as in EC2: I feel sorry for Stan. When I with my 30 years had problems with this, then Stan with 91 years also had.

- "goody pack with some exclusive items" & "private gold chill out room": As other people have already described on this board, the items in the goody pack were garbage and the gold room was pathetic.

The only Stan event which was really better than at another event were the photo shoots with Stan. I have a picture with him from both conventions and the picture from LFCC 2014 has clearly better quality (much better illumination).

Stan was absolutely great, he is the nicest guy and what he did for his fans at this convention was incredible, especially at his age. But the organization from Showmasters is the reason why I left the convention unsatisfied, mainly because of my missed opportunity to speak for some seconds with him at the "Meet & Greet". And now I wonder if this thread will be deleted.

Edited by 1of2
  • Like 1

I can only comment on the Stan Lee events I went to, but here's my thoughts:

Friday additional signing

- This was a great opportunity to meet Stan in what was a relatively short queue. I spent around 45 mins outside the Brompton Hall having arrived about 2.00 p.m. I had brought some items with me for Stan to sign, but it was a little disappointing to be given in the queue a flyer for Stan Lee exclusive items to then find that inside they weren't available for this signing. There seemed a fair amount of pictures provided but decided to get my own signed in the end. As soon as I walked into the inner signing area and saw Stan there my excitement went up, I really just wanted to keep shouting "It's Stan Lee !" The queue moved along quickly and I don't think the items were treated quite as well as they could have been, I had brought comics with me that were between 40 to 50 years old and really would have preferred some better treatment from that perspective, but for the main a lot of people seemed to be getting pictures signed as far as I could see so it is difficult to cater for all. Stan was taking good care to sign items in good places and using the right pens and I said a big thank you to Stan , and he looked him and gave me a great Stan Lee smile and nod.

Sunday Photoshoot

- It was a bit chaotic on arrival at the photoshoot area, seemed to be a lot of people with high number tickets just milling about and had my two boys with me on Sunday, the younger one was getting quite hot as well as he wanted to wear his spidey outfit for the shoot. Finally worked out where we needed to be and at what end and then joined the queue relatively quickly when things started to move as we were in the early 300s. Queue lines were pretty tight though and people generally were finding it pretty hot. We all had individual pics and I said to my older son make sure you say Hi to Stan, and he did and Stan replied with a big smile and Hi right back at him. The little one was up next and was a bit confused bless him with the whole thing but then Stan popped a reassuirng arm around him and told him where to look at the camera, got a lovely photo, probably one of my favourites ever, then finally myself and I thanked Stan for being so great with my boys and got a big Stan smile again , then went for the spidey webshooting pose and Stan shot out his hand as well. One final big thank you and another big smile from Stan and 3 very happy Stan Lee fans left the area clutching our pictures.

Considering his age, the journey he had made, the heat in the hall and hearing afterwards how he had not been feeling that great, I think the mans a Marvel !

Edited by GoldenGreen

Meet and Greet, Private ... standing arround a table in a group is far from private to begin with. I do agree with the comments made about the Comic Gold Pass here!

It was never going to happen, oh and don't forget the VIP Drinks reception how was that VIP! Not a single VIP in sight, and as for the lack of drinks and the plastic mini whine glasses.

VIP

DRINKS

RECEPTION

PRIVATE

MEET

GREET

all these did not happen, or were far from the expectation set!

• Like 1

On a personal level I think Stan was AMAZING to do what he did this weekend as were Showmasters. The most popular guest ever I would say and the organisers did a good job managing the unknown.... Besides which, do you really think that Stans management team would possibly allow him to be in uncomfortable positions like air con or crowds so it MUST have been a perfectly normal situation he faces regularly.

• Like 2

It was great that he agreed to do an extra signing friday afternoon but the room was really small and the air was a little bit bad. The room was small for all those people queuing. But otherwise it was good that he did sign in a extra room/hall.

Otherwise without that extra signing I wouldn't have the chance to get his autograph I think. Incredible that amount signatures he did - and this with 90+

STAN IS THE MAN

He crossed then later my way (i think for the photo shooting) in the big hall. He saw me, I went to side and the bodyguard smiled back and said thanks