glasgow guests

I don't do Glasgow every year and at the moment I am torn ian hanmore (GoT & The fades) hasn't been too any of the other conventions I have attended. Katie Dickie ( Prometheus & G oT) was at LFCC but it was too busy and her queue was enormous so I missed out on her so to me thats 2 guests 4 autos

Okay, do you know when you've been filling up your sticker book and you get down to the last two spaces that you need to collect, that's me, I'm there now.

What I'm talking about is photo opportunities with the classic series stars.

Sure I've never met Bill Hartnell, Pat Troughton, Jacqueline Hill, Adrienne Hill, Michael Craze Ian Marter, David Brierly, Gerald Flood and worst of all Mary Tamm (She was in Glasgow in 2009 and I never went and I'll never forgive myself for it).

A couple more I'm still due to meet over the next couple of months for that all important photo to show the Grandkids.

That leave two names both with the same initials, JL?

So imagine my excitement when I saw one of those names down for two guest appearances at Showmaster events.

Sure, I'm guilty in the past of may be making the odd constructive point about events but when I saw this I nervously clicked the button to see which ones he would be attending.

London and Cardiff, it's not nice watching a forty-something bloke welling up in disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, you've handed Bonnie Langford on a plate to me here in Glasgow and I am so grateful but now I'm on my knees again, go on Showmaster, give Richard Franklin some company on the train up, please, please, please get John Levene up to Glasgow on the Sunday.

If you don't I know that due to finances I'll end up driving down overnight to one of those events just for that one photo opportunity.

Go on, just for me, just this once .......

P.S. Have you figured out who the other JL is, now if you could this guest, well heaven knows what I'll do?

I'm beginning to accept the fact that the Glasgow guests this year are not going to be my cup of tea, however, I am still really looking forward to coming along. At least the money I'll save on auto's and photo-shoots means I'll have more dosh to spent on the stalls :thumbup:

Still got my fingers crossed for that 1 big guest announcement :unsure:

• Like 2

The guests this year aren't for us but they will know what the situation is with the turnout this year. I think we know that it will be nowhere like last year but that means for next years show at least there will be definitive proof that horror guests do work, big name guests do work in Glasgow. Good guest list if you like your TV shows though.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The guests this year aren't for us but they will know what the situation is with the turnout this year. I think we know that it will be nowhere like last year but that means for next years show at least there will be definitive proof that horror guests do work, big name guests do work in Glasgow. Good guest list if you like your TV shows though.

I do wonder who you mean by 'big guests' as I don't think there's been anyone hugely bigger than anyone attending this time really. It's all down to personal perspective.

I do wonder who you mean by 'big guests' as I don't think there's been anyone hugely bigger than anyone attending this time really. It's all down to personal perspective.

I wasn't in any way putting down the guests already attending Glasgow and never will, In fact I'm really looking forward to coming along and I fully appreciate that everybody's tastes are different and that SM can't please everybody.

However, everybody has dream guests for these events and having watched some of the names confirmed previously for the events down South, I just can't help but be a little jealous.

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 1

The show is aimed at people who love sci-fi, fantasy tv shows. Which is fine. Maybe next year the show will be for people like myself who like different things. I do think there will be a noticable difference this year in attendance, I just hope it does well. Apparantly last year on the Saturday was the busiest Glasgow has been and I know the two people that most came to see are not part of any TV franchise. I only attended on Sunday. I just as hope it as busy this time round and people have a good time at the show.

Edited by thewizard

Personally I'm really looking forward to this years event, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and there are 9 guests attending on the Saturday. I have decided to start a Star Wars poster so I'm really excited to get so many at the same time :). Also looking forward to meeting Quark! He was always one of my favs on ds9....and who could resist meeting face! I have never watched game of thrones but I'm obtaining autographs for a few US collectors who would give their left nut to get a few cast members under the one roof.

Less than 2 weeks away now!!! Can't wait :D

Edited by dodef

• 2 weeks later...

I should have read this before making my own (now locked) post lol.

Yes for me not my cup of tea.Not trying to be a party pooper-i know the line up would appeal to a variety of people but last year was my first event-The headliners were Robert and Lance-huge names to me.

I remember reading the showmasters guys saying they were going to make it bigger and better-and a to me i dont feel the guests are as big as those two?To me personally,im not a dr who or star wars fan-so Kristina from t3 would be about it for me

Just would like your thoughts,and on a side note would have loved kane hodder(seen he done a mk showmasters earlier ths year)

• Moderators

It's always going to be difficult. Robert AND Lance have done a number of SM events over the year, and so to many they're not 'huge' names. I imagine they are to new attendees, and in fact Robert was the reason I first attended an event back in 2003 - but that shows you how long he's been doing them! So it really comes down to not only personal preference, but how long you've been doing them etc too.

• Like 1

In my opinion, the guest list this year is SO much better than the guest list last year. I am super impressed by the quality and quantity of guests this year and they appeal to me and probably the "general public" a lot more than Lance and Robert. There's a lot of GoT, Harry Potter and Doctor Who type guests which are way more mainstream.

I'm very happy!

I'd agree i think the range is overall better,and yes when i think about it face from A-team is pretty huge!Just personally i think the volume of movie work Lance and Robert have between them i think it would be pretty hard to surpass it no matter who you got.Even though the guests aren't to my taste ill still bring my boys along as there is so much other fun stuff to check out inside and outside the arena area.

Edited by da_paul_bd

This year is the cheapest for me regarding Guests. Maybe I have been attending far too many shows in my time! LOL!

:no: absolutely gutted now with Dave and Kristanna cancelled. I know these things can happen and that a guests personal life will/should always be their priority. Just devastated its two of the 3 I was going for.

So sad to hear about Kristannas friend and respect her desicion not to leave.

I don't suppose any last minute replacements will be announced, as to me, she was the star of the show.

Edited by Matthewman
  • Like 3

Would be great if they could pull an ace out of their sleeve. My heart goes out to Kristanna and Dave has obviously encountered some kind of issue but the event has been diluted significantly by their absence.

• Like 2