Con cold - who got one? Thank you inconsiderate people

I did my best to keep sweat free, hands clean and drink plenty of water.

I had a shower early Monday to clean of sweat and grime from the crowds.

Today I've got a runny nose and a sore throat.

I had people breaving over my neck, caughing without covering there mouths close by and hoards of people to walk past which involved a lot of people brushing my arms.

YUCK!

Now I've got this and 30*C temperatures to deal with this week, thanks! :spew:

Anyone got advice on how to avoid the con cold? :borg:

I almost always seem to catch one whenever I go to these things. I had something yesterday but I seem to have more or less beaten it off already. Obviously my immune system says "look out, he's off to another convention - alright lads, everyone on standby!".

- G

Unfortunately I had a horrible cold the week before.

First time i have been poorly for a con.

However i do make sure to cover my mouth and carry tissues, keep hands washed etc!

Ended up with an ear infection on Monday though :grump::no:

Sore throat and bit blocked nose. Got one last year and one lad reckons its down to different germ pool down there OR am allergic to London :P

Though this year ain't helped by fact where work I'm feet away from a vent. Couple days and be totally fine.

Sore throat and bit blocked nose. Got one last year and one lad reckons its down to different germ pool down there OR am allergic to London :P

Though this year ain't helped by fact where work I'm feet away from a vent. Couple days and be totally fine.

I live only 30 minutes from the venue, nothing to do with different germs either that or earls court is its own island ...

I'm with DavidB on this - if you don't want to risk germs, stay home.

I can sympathise with being sneezed or coughed on, as that is just plain gross, but to complain about people brushing your arms as they walked past is frankly ridiculous in such a packed venue.

Maybe you should cosplay as The Boy in the Bubble next time.

Edited by timpe
  • Like 2

It's the same as starting University "freshers flu" with so many people there and from all over the place even travelling from a different country and then breathing the same air it all gets mixed in together.

I've gotten sick coming back to university after every single break away it just happens

I think it is true that this is one of the reasons that you tend to get more colds with events like this. There are over 200 different cold viruses, and the way it works is that once you have caught one you develop an immunity to it. If you travel to different areas you are more likely to come in contact with a virus you do not have an immunity to, and hence will suffer symptoms from it.

With cons like this not only do you have a lot of people in a confined space increaseing normal transmission rates, but you also have people coming from different areas (even different countries) bringing in different cold viruses, and it is even worse if you are travelling there as the local cold viruses have a higher chance of being ones you have no immunity to.

Every year I get one. Thankfully (?) I had a dose of a heavy cold and cough just over a week ago so I think I was immune to most of what was going around. So tip for next year. Get a cold a couple of weeks before. :) Saying that, my friend who was in our group was just starting to get a cold by the end of Sunday. The amount of times I got sneezed over or coughed upon was ridiculous and people coming straight out of a toilet cubicle and walking straight out. Come on people...basic hygiene here!

I recommend Vicks First Defence. Use it at the first sign of a cold and stop it in it's tracks. My husband had an awful cold about a week before LFCC. I started to feel a cold coming on and used First Defence. I didn't have it anywhere near as bad as my hubby who didn't use First Defence!!

Lock yourself in a dark room alone. That's pretty much the only way to avoid it, and it's not that fun.

Not fun - you are doing it wrong.

But to the OP there is a way to avoid this but it involves a flight to South America, a few ritual sacrifices, some naked dancing and a magic tonic to drink.