Thoughts about show after our debrief & how to move forward

One problem not addressed here.

An actual 'professional' setup is needed if your going to have venues the size of the Super Stage. The sound system used would have struggled in venues with good acoustics; let alone in that hall. This should all be contracted out to a professional company from the start; this is a necessary cost of putting on a large event; especially when you have paid talks in addition to entry tickets. There seems to have been sound problems all through the weekend for both paid and free talks.

Agreed, had a convention newbie with me who works on such things and was shocked about the sound setup, he mentioned something like the pa system looked like it was put in because it would be loud, would have got a better sound with a cheaper system that had the correct delays setup between the speakers. that said it was the first time they had the super stage would expect it to be sorted for next time.

• Like 1

There is Earls Court 1, with a capacity of 20,000, whereas Earls Court 2 has a capacity of 10,000. It's. right. there.

My big problem was simply the over-crowding. The layout didn't help, that to access the back of the hall you have to push through the dealer's tables, it meant for very poor movement through the room, plus if you wanted to browse the stalls it was too crowded and rushed with people pushing through. To my mind, the simplest answer to 99% of the problems would be to use the larger hall next door.

The other simple change that would have improved the weekend would be to allow the side doors from Earls Court 2 to be used as exit only. They empty out onto the roadway surrounding the building, and unlike *certain other conventions* setting up one-way entrances and exits, it's not a huge chore to walk around. It makes sense to use the main entrance as the entrance, but to have a one-way exit would allow more movement.

Also, above-head height signs are vital.

Bless Stan Lee for being such a trooper! But a lot of people are assuming that the next con, without his presence, will be quieter and changes therefore aren't important. I disagree, geeky events are a hugely growing market and it's only going to get more popular!

The funny thing is..the Early Bird pre paid que snaked round the main floor space inside of EC1 several times in the morning on sunday when I was there...so that space was used for the event in some form anyway.

Edited by benweblight

Thanks Jason for your detailed explaination, much appreciated.

I like the ideas going forward about pre-purchased tickets etc. It all makes perfect sense to me.

My biggest criticsm however is about keeping us informed during the event. You need some kind of announcement tannoy system or matrix signs or something like that.

As soon as you knew Stan was going to be late, we could have been told moments after you were told. I didn't know untill 11:00 that he wasn't there and that was only by word of mouth from another attendee.

Sorry, but there's no excuse for not keeping us informed in my opinion.

I think i'm gonna be odd one out here ... are all the people who are saying make it a pre paid only entry working ? .. as i am not as i have to save up to attend so i can only book about 2 oe 3 photoshoots in advance and pay on the day ...

i like the idea of Photo ops & signing on 1 ticket for certain people ..

i would love to get a gold/ silver pass but as i said due to not working . money is the issue ..

And on the Subject of Stan ... Well Done to the man , his team and of course Jason & the crew.. it was a Pleasure to finally meet the legend on his last ever trip over here .. .

The obvious issues are with capacity and venue. As pointed out, Earls Court may well be closing at the end of the year, is the con still going to be at EC? Has LFCC outgrown it anyway? Opening for a 3rd full day is essential, it will spread the crowds out allowing for a more pleasurable experience. How much money was lost from those who didn't get in or those who didn't even bother trying to?

The other issue has to be real time updates via social media and your website. If the event is full people need to be told, allowing many to wait for hours with little hope of actually getting in was very unfair.

• Like 2

I personally had a great time at the event, was there for 3 days and managed to meet everyone I wanted including getting my photoshoot with Stan but I did have a comic gold pass and without that I think it would have been hard to do this.

In respect of the programmes that were been sold it could have been better organised, I asked a few Showmasters Crew on Friday where the numbers would be and no one could tell me and this was also the same on Saturday. As far as I'm aware the draw was going to be held each day and if no one claimed an item that day then it would go into the draw for the next day. Crew involved should have all known about the draw and where these numbers would be before the Friday when the convention started.

I also thought there were too many passes this year, I had to give advice to a crew member re what a pass does (get on the end of any queue) apart from the Stan one which was slightly different. If people are going to crew they need to take an interest in it and also look at the Forum beforehand to see if any changes are happening. I checked the forum all the time and you did share some great information on there which otherwise I wouldn't have known.

The Stan Lee VIP Meet and Greet did need to be better organised too, I thought the area was too small for the amount of people there and glad for Stan's health he didn't have to come to each table after he'd be signing and having photographs all day. It was definitely a better idea for him to be on stage but it's a shame as would have loved to have just say a thank you to him for what he's done over the years and bring so many wonderful characters to life.

I remember on the Sunday morning for Ian McDermid people were getting virtual tickets for him and it looked like one big group just swarming round the poor lass trying to hand them out. Just want to say Too Tall came along and asked everyone to form a queue in order to get a vitural queue ticket, in these circumstances if you are handing out tickets you need to ask people to do that so at least there is some order.

Apart from those things I had a great time and it's definitley a learning curve for everyone. I just made sure I was organised, got up early and I'm just glad I had the chance to meet Stan as if this hadn't been organised I would never had the chance to meet him so a big thank you for that.

• Showmasters Admin

maybe my timing for getting the pre paid's in on Saturday maybe wrong a little i know i checked my phone and i was shore ? anyway they all got in well before 11am as we had the standard tickets lining up and there was a good gap between the two lots of people i managed that myself. so it could not be past 10,45 but they were in and i asked the last few people how long had they been waiting and they said around 30 minuets, it was a busy day and a lot to remember as many things was going on at once

i will correct the post at the top as i did think it was earlier ?

thank you for reading

Jason

I defintly agree with all those that said E-tickets. I always choose that option for gigs etc. nowdays. It just makes it so much less stressful.... and saves a fortune in postage/admin fees.

It would have saved me standing in a 2hour queue to get one talk ticket that hadn't been released before the shop cut off point...and thus leaving me no time for autos.

• Like 2

Thanks for clearing this up Jason. I do agree that crowds were perfectly fine on the Sunday (busy but just as busy as previous events) but the crowds on Saturday really were a health and safety issue which is my main fear for future events. Anyway, thanks for explaining a few things and understanding that a lot of people were left disappointed. Personally, I had a good time, and I managed to meet some great guests. If the crowding/queuing on the Saturday could've been fixed, I would've enjoyed this past LFCC as much as I've enjoyed every other SM event.

• Showmasters Admin

one last fact that i forgot to put on the post at the top

we killed the EE network from Saturday after 11am till around 4pm and again on sunday as the volume of people phoning each other and sending photos to each other was just to much for it to cope.

also we created gridlocks outside earls court with the volume of fans attending

as i said i think we need a bigger boat.

• Like 4

We are also looking at exclusive ticket packages for bigger A-list guests, where this would be a dedicated ticket that would guarantee you get to meet this A-list guest and guarantee getting the photo op and signing all in the same ticket. These would be a stand alone ticket with all this included. General admission people would get to buy pre-sold photo ops and autographs at the show (subject to availability) but the people who bought the exclusive packages would get priority first. we want to have these big A list guest at our events, but we do not want people upset when they just turn up and cannot get everything they want, so we feel this maybe the way forward.

Wouldn't be any good to me as I wouldn't really want the photograph. Wouldn't it be easier just to sell limited autographs at standard price in advance, the same way photos are now? I'd snap one of those up for the right guest as soon as online.

A combined ticket would mean if it was the only way I felt sure I'd get the guest, I'd have to buy a photo I didn't want, whilst someone begging for one might miss out.

• Like 3

I think i'm gonna be odd one out here ... are all the people who are saying make it a pre paid only entry working ? .. as i am not as i have to save up to attend so i can only book about 2 oe 3 photoshoots in advance and pay on the day ...

i like the idea of Photo ops & signing on 1 ticket for certain people ..

i would love to get a gold/ silver pass but as i said due to not working . money is the issue ..

And on the Subject of Stan ... Well Done to the man , his team and of course Jason & the crew.. it was a Pleasure to finally meet the legend on his last ever trip over here .. .

But isn't that a question of timing? Whether you have to pay on the day or two weeks before just means you think about setting aside that money two weeks earlier than you do now.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Pre selling Saturday. Also do think about changing the name of the on the day queue for Sunday - Something like 'Stand-by Queue' would/may maintain expectations a little better.

Package tickets for big guests are good plan and I look forward to them but I do worry, I know the aim would be to keep it as low as possible but it definitely should be kept accessible to many price wise. Also limited well in terms of availability.

JA

Thanks for this post, it has cleared up a lot of things. I had a great weekend and I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to meet some of the stars I have loved for years. Truly it means the world to me.

The one thing I would really like a response on in more detail is the chaining up of fire doors. Like I said I had a great weekend but when I heard this I felt a little unsafe and unsure the consequences had there been a fire doesn't bare thinking about. I hope that this is something that will be checked at future events. I know it is in part Earls Courts responsibility but it would be nice to know that SM will be looking at this as well.

Thank you

• Like 1

Thanks for this post, it has cleared up a lot of things. I had a great weekend and I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to meet some of the stars I have loved for years. Truly it means the world to me.

The one thing I would really like a response on in more detail is the chaining up of fire doors. Like I said I had a great weekend but when I heard this I felt a little unsafe and unsure the consequences had there been a fire doesn't bare thinking about. I hope that this is something that will be checked at future events. I know it is in part Earls Courts responsibility but it would be nice to know that SM will be looking at this as well.

Thank you

Me too...I'm still a little "leery" re the Health and Safety Issues which at this moment in time would preclude me from attending a Showmasters Event on a Saturday at Earl's Court again...those minutes in that stifling crush are still weighing heavily on my mind and I could not put myself through a crush like that again, knowing that there could be escape routes locked/blocked/chained/non-accessible :(

I have read a lot of the comments on here the past couple of days and can understand some people being negative but for me I had a great time.

Saturday was always going to be a very busy day with people turning up on the day expecting to meet Stan Lee. Perhaps there should of been announcements

outside telling people that they had very little chance of meeting him.

Surely you should not be allowed to buy a photoshoot ticket without an entry ticket as some people on here said the did.

I for one always pre-book the main guests I want to see and then once the schedule is out I can then fit others in as required. On the Saturday I queued for about

30 minutes to book my extra photoshoots for Sunday so allowing me more time on the Sunday.

Perhaps Friday should be a full day now rather than just a preview show. I like the idea of offering exclusive tickets for major guests (ie combined Photo and Autograph ticket) but still allow people to buy a photoshoot if that is all they require.

I personally don't like e-tickets but can understand people preferring this system. I like to keep my tickets to remind me of when and where I met someone.

My biggest gripe of the weekend was people sitting on the floor in and nearby the photoshoot areas so getting in the way. On the Sunday there were a group of people sitting by Area D blocking people from lining up and walking by. Surely photoshoot areas should be roped off to allow people to queue properly?

All in all I met everyone I intended too (even fitting in Ian Mcdiarmid Sunday morning after someone convinced me too) and a few more I decided late on.

Yes it was hot inside but with the volume of people and the warm weather outside this didn't help.

My advice to people is to pre-book tickets as much as possible it makes your day(s) go a lot easier.

Looking forward already to the next show I can attend.

I think pre sold tickets is a MUST. Any other huge events have them so it's a must for this.

I live a 2 hour train journey away, which isn't as far as some, but I wouldn't EVER dream of travelling so far and paying for a hotel, to just turn up on the day at an event that has Stan Lee as a confirmed guest and think i'll be able to get in ok without pre purchasing a ticket... it's ludicrous. But each to their own... I pre plan and panic way in advance to just think i'll be ok without a ticket on arrival.

I don't blame SM for most of the problems.

The pre paid packages for certain guests is a great idea as well.

More crew members are needed... 350 to a venue that holds 10,000 isn't enough.

I salute the crew running the queues for the photos but some just gave up towards the end of the day. Stood in front of signs that said 'Tickets will be called in number order' yet going round and telling people it won't be in number order ? That's just silly.

The only issue I had was the lack of communication between crew members, I understand that these guys are under immense pressure, especially after a day like Saturday. Walkie Talkies or headsets are needed. My tickets were lost in the post (which I bought back in March) and it took me over a hour on Friday night, queueing and being sent from pillar to post just to get some replacements.

All that being said, this was my first ever LFCC and it hasn't put me off attending more so thank you for giving me to the chance to meet Stan and every one else that I wanted to.

• Like 2