Thoughts about show after our debrief & how to move forward

All this talk of exclusive guests .. but what criteria is even used to make one guest more exclusive than another .. I mean in some cases it's generically obvious e.g. actor at height of fame or Hollywood legend , but I don't agree with the approach overall as the stardom of a person is in the eye of the beholder e.g. sports guests to me = yawn , but to a sports fan they would deem them more A list than say an actor from Star Trek ...

It's not prices of tickets or gold packages which will solve the majority of the issues faced at LFCC ( that will just increase profits ) , what will solve most issues is better planning and organisation ...

• Like 4

As I Gold ticket holder I was appalled at the Gold Room, worse then a train station toilet. Also having to queue for autos and photos as not acceptable. It has seriously damaged my faith in the Pass and will have to seriously think about whether to purchase it again. Too many passes sold, exclusivity disappeared.

Did the lost child get found?

In 6 years of going to these shows I have never made use of a gold pass and I have never missed a guest I wanted.

I don't understand the gold passes at all...

It's not all about "not missing guests".

I've gotten several gold passes in the past just because i don't like to queue for a long time. It meant i could just walk up around 8:50 and get in first, and i didn't have to wait to see guests. It's a convenience...well, it used to be anyway...with the amount they sold this year, all that benefit kinda dissappeared

I understand the convenience aspect, I guess I just think that when I'm at a show the day is a 'write-off' anyway (i.e that's my day accounted for). Is the additional time I save worth the additional money?

I think it's a lot of good money that could be better spent on literally anything else, all by having a bit of patience.

As I Gold ticket holder I was appalled at the Gold Room, worse then a train station toilet. Also having to queue for autos and photos as not acceptable. It has seriously damaged my faith in the Pass and will have to seriously think about whether to purchase it again. Too many passes sold, exclusivity disappeared.

Did the lost child get found?

In 6 years of going to these shows I have never made use of a gold pass and I have never missed a guest I wanted.

I don't understand the gold passes at all...

It's not all about "not missing guests".

I've gotten several gold passes in the past just because i don't like to queue for a long time. It meant i could just walk up around 8:50 and get in first, and i didn't have to wait to see guests. It's a convenience...well, it used to be anyway...with the amount they sold this year, all that benefit kinda dissappeared

I understand the convenience aspect, I guess I just think that when I'm at a show the day is a 'write-off' anyway (i.e that's my day accounted for). Is the additional time I save worth the additional money?

I think it's a lot of good money that could be better spent on literally anything else, all by having a bit of patience.

There is one person on here who mentioned in another thread, that he had 30 photo shoots over the entire weekend. Without the gold pass, he would not have managed to get every one of them. It is not just about the convenience, but also for those who wish to meet a huge number of guests which would probably not be possible without the pass.

• Like 1

I thought the showmasters staff did a fantastic job. Something I did notice though. When they're calling out numbers to the crowd or instructions please shout out those instructions to all of the queue waiting and not one fourth of the crowd. A number of occasions the staff would shout instructions out to people right in front of them. Those behind and to the side and those further down the queue couldn't hear anything.

A mexican wave of "what did he/she just say?" then begins and "what number did he/she just shout out?" On a side note, most of the crowd were happy to help. I did laugh when one person thought he was getting an advantage by not sharing with anyone. "What number are we up to please?" His response was "I'm not telling you that." Love it

Rob

• Like 2

I thought the showmasters staff did a fantastic job. Something I did notice though. When they're calling out numbers to the crowd or instructions please shout out those instructions to all of the queue waiting and not one fourth of the crowd. A number of occasions the staff would shout instructions out to people right in front of them. Those behind and to the side and those further down the queue couldn't hear anything.

A mexican wave of "what did he/she just say?" then begins and "what number did he/she just shout out?" On a side note, most of the crowd were happy to help. I did laugh when one person thought he was getting an advantage by not sharing with anyone. "What number are we up to please?" His response was "I'm not telling you that." Love it

Rob

I wouldn't say that the crew has to calling out the numbers loud to the crowd. LOL. In 2010,11 + 12 there was a couple guys who did it and I found it a bit hectic because everything else is loud in the hall.

I think it was sunday in the photo Area D. There was a Crew Member Ashley who sorted out the numbers. He was easy, quiet, relaxed which I found very sweet and good. The "Crowd" itself should take a bit more care. There had been always guys who walked through the waiting line even those who left the area after the photoshooting

I found the Book signing area a little bit weird. But well... This time I found it more relaxed than in 2010, 11 or 12 at all and everyone did an amazing job.

Edited by Swissangel4616

Out of all the photo shoots I attended (about 10 of them), only one was being called out in numbers. That one worked smoothly with a manageable queue. The others I went to without being called in numbers were really confusing with people not knowing where to queue etc.

I think it would make things a lot easier if the crew actually did what we were told in advance would be standard - photo shoots called out in numbers. I also think that would make the queue mess a lot better.

Please, SM, make sure this happens next time.

• Like 2

Out of all the photo shoots I attended (about 10 of them), only one was being called out in numbers. That one worked smoothly with a manageable queue. The others I went to without being called in numbers were really confusing with people not knowing where to queue etc.

I think it would make things a lot easier if the crew actually did what we were told in advance would be standard - photo shoots called out in numbers. I also think that would make the queue mess a lot better.

Please, SM, make sure this happens next time.

I agree if photoshoots getting called by numbers was a certainty at all events, it would reduce the crowd traffic. In my years of attending events I've only ever known it to happen a few times in my particular shoots (I know it happens for others).

That said I think crew members need to be a little quicker on upping the numbers, in one of my shoots (Summer Glau I think) a huge crowd could have easily been ordered, by the crew member asking for tickets in increments of 100, not 50. I understand it was to give people with a low number to get to the shoot, but in the meantime more and more people are joining a pre-queue and blocking the flow of people in the hall!

I actually think reducing the amount of photoshoots taking place at events would make everyone's life a bit easier (although less profitable for Showmasters!) . At this event there wasn't really the space for the areas to all have a decent queue area. I imagine on paper they were all fine but after people have brought tickets on the day for shoots; all that careful planning went to hell :)

. I did laugh when one person thought he was getting an advantage by not sharing with anyone. "What number are we up to please?" His response was "I'm not telling you that." Love it

Rob

There would be a slight advantage in him not telling you though. If he had 306, and you were 275, the quicker the range changes to 301-350 the better. Helping you in your rightful place in front of him doesn't help him.

A decent app or even purpose ran twitter accounts (just for the show in question) would be the ideal way to share queue numbers, last calls, raffles, updates etc.You just need one person in each section to update the info - then everybody with a smart phone knows. You could even have a large screen or two hooked up to display the info for the phoneless. Its better than a printed list on the wall.

• Like 1

As I say, you can have a digital screen with the same info - more use than the printed photo schedule near the front - or just ask a crewmember to look it up for you. Just because 100% of attendees don't have the tech doesn't mean the rest have to go without.

That way each crewmember has all the info at their fingertips,

And for those of us without smart phones?........

You don't need a smart phone for Twitter as it runs off SMS. However, I think TerraHawk is referring to the crew member of each area having a smartphone to keep in touch with each other.

Edited by Knitty Fred

I meant tweets and an app for everyone, if you don't have a phone you ask crew who do.

Bit like a busy train station (there's a system built to cope with changes!) - you look up the info on your phone, or you ask ask member of staff, or you look on the board, or you wait for the announcement. Not relying on one system, but all serve a purpose

Speaking of train stations: why not have some electronic signs listing the guests alphabetically and what number is being called for the queue? Those little wipe off signs are just not good enough. As others have pointed out, you have to actually go into the queue in order to read it, which often leads crew members to snappily tell you to move lol

• 2 weeks later...

When we are buying a 3 day ticket how about one that includes a local hotel with breakfast? I am sure you could book out a local hotel completely and the fan would have a really fun experience all staying in the same place. If it had a meeting rook you could even put on a film or something in the evening.

If you do not have the staff to organise this I am sure it could be organised by someone remote for your office but with a computer we could quickly get numbers together and do a deal with a local hotel. if you are expecting over 130,000 people I am sure you could book out at least one local hotel maybe more.