Thoughts about show after our debrief & how to move forward

I agree with David, While i myself am in education, i have a small part time job. I dont see why prices should not increase on A type Guests, i understand that people want it "fair" but sadly the world doesnt work like that. At the end of the day guests are preferences, for example person X might value Tony Blair's autograph at £100 while B at £50. Attendees can decide who they would prefer but i feel that if prices are higher (although not massive) then perhaps more people could see said guest because Queues are shorter so less time consumed through queueing etc.)

This is my personal opinion and i would support to an extent any decision made if i feel its "in my interest" (after all the changes are only important to how they affect YOU)

I don't think prices should go up, just to limit the number of visitors. That could more easily be done by limiting the number of people allowed a VT.

• Like 2

Can you please view MY opinion as based on my experience and my £££ please? Hey, if SM could lower all the prices so I could get all the photos and autographs I wanted then great! And if the dealers could lower their prices so I could get more merchandise too, that would be fantastic.

My opinion isn't based on being a moderator. It's as someone who has attended these events for 11 years. SM will keep prices where they can for as long as possible, but sometimes things have to change.

But hey I'm just a mod who isn't allowed an opinion right ;)

This is when I get muddled with some of your claims David.

With respect, 99.9% of people here are unaware of the exact costs involved, as we have no access to the fee's that the guests charge.

So how can any of us categorically state that the guests prices are rising, and therfore comment.

I suspect that you too even though you have some status fall into this category.

I also suspect that the profit from last week was huge!. It was a great weekend for Showmasters.

Surly any business in profit could in theory reduce prices?, its just unlikely.

Edited by farmer

I agree with David, While i myself am in education, i have a small part time job. I dont see why prices should not increase on A type Guests, i understand that people want it "fair" but sadly the world doesnt work like that. At the end of the day guests are preferences, for example person X might value Tony Blair's autograph at £100 while B at £50. Attendees can decide who they would prefer but i feel that if prices are higher (although not massive) then perhaps more people could see said guest because Queues are shorter so less time consumed through queueing etc.)

This is my personal opinion and i would support to an extent any decision made if i feel its "in my interest" (after all the changes are only important to how they affect YOU)

I don't think prices should go up, just to limit the number of visitors. That could more easily be done by limiting the number of people allowed a VT.

But a special Ticket like what Jason mentioned would guarantee meeting the guest, therefore I think a ticket like that justifies a higher price. After all for example with Stan Lee, I'm sure there would be less unhappy people if perhaps he had a special VIP ticket that guaranteed meeting him as people would know that if they didn't have that ticket then there is a fair chance they wouldn't be able to meet him.

• Like 1

But a special Ticket like what Jason mentioned would guarantee meeting the guest, therefore I think a ticket like that justifies a higher price. After all for example with Stan Lee, I'm sure there would be less unhappy people if perhaps he had a special VIP ticket that guaranteed meeting him as people would know that if they didn't have that ticket then there is a fair chance they wouldn't be able to meet him.

Also any profit made might be used to improve the ever, eg LED lights or ability to pay A list guests upfront to entice them to attend. I'm sure SM use the profits wisely

Why not look to see how other events are run at Earls Court? The Hyper Japan one is soon - their tickets are £15, if they're all sold online then that's it, none reserved for pay on the day, and the day is split into sections. Not saying it's going to address all the problems here but it might offer some ways to improve

• Moderators

Can you please view MY opinion as based on my experience and my £££ please? Hey, if SM could lower all the prices so I could get all the photos and autographs I wanted then great! And if the dealers could lower their prices so I could get more merchandise too, that would be fantastic.

My opinion isn't based on being a moderator. It's as someone who has attended these events for 11 years. SM will keep prices where they can for as long as possible, but sometimes things have to change.

This is when I get muddled with some of your claims David.

With respect, 99.9% of people here are unaware of the exact costs involved, as we have no access to the fee's that the guests charge.

So how can any of us categorically state that the guests prices are rising, and therfore comment.

I suspect that you too even though you have some status fall into this category.

I also suspect that the profit from last week was huge!. It was a great weekend for Showmasters.

Surly any business in profit could in theory reduce prices?, its just unlikely.

Because it's the case worldwide. It's happening in America, it's happening at other events over here also. Plus it's not just about guest fees - it's everything in general. So many prices are rising across the boards and costs for SM are going up year on year. Flights, hotels, venue costs etc.That's not even considering the guest fees.

So somewhere something has to give.

All I'm personally saying is that I have no vested financial interest in this company, and I struggle to meet everyone I want just like everyone else.

• Like 1

Said it before... will say it again... I think everything worked great for Gold Ticket holders. Just limit the numbers of walk ins and everything will be fine. Everything else was sorted perfectly. I really think so.

Well, great for them. But I wouldn't like to spend the amount I spent on autographs now just on a fancy entry ticket.

• Like 2

guys... i think we can actually be glad that we are all actually able to get in and that it's not like SDCC where you join something resembling a lottery to be in with a chance for a flippin' ticket.... if SM events keep being so successful that how it'll have to be in the future.

• Like 2

Prices go up. I get that and I accept it. The cost of everything is going up all that time, I see it when I go out, shop, do anything. If tickets go up because the cost of setting up the event, cost of guests and what ever else goes into creating a comic con has gone up then cool, there is nothing to be done about it and it is fair.

What I disagree with is the suggestion that tickets should go up purely to keep visitor numbers down. That doesn't seem fair to me.

• Like 5

Because it's the case worldwide. It's happening in America, it's happening at other events over here also. Plus it's not just about guest fees - it's everything in general. So many prices are rising across the boards and costs for SM are going up year on year. Flights, hotels, venue costs etc.That's not even considering the guest fees.

All I'm personally saying is that I have no vested financial interest in this company, and I struggle to meet everyone I want just like everyone else.

It’s a myth that American prices are higher.

In many cases they are consistently cheaper. For example Stan is 15-20 pounds cheaper during an appearance in the next couple of weeks, and the volume of autographs sold will be vastly smaller than it was in London.

You claim it’s because of airfares, but an airfare between 2,000 – 3,000 people really isn’t that much of a difference.

Airfares and hotels are also fairly consistant, year on year. (Again, you and I have no knowledge of how much it costs to rent an arena)

Please back up your claims with some figures.

Edited by farmer

• Moderators

I'm not going to 'back up my claims' because quite honestly (a) i'm too busy and (B) it's a pointless argument because people think 'he's a moderator, he'll say whatever he has to!' so there's no point me even having an opinion or contributing to the discussion.. so, as some famous people once said.. I'm out ;)

• Like 3

It’s a myth that American prices are higher.

In many cases they are consistently cheaper. For example Stan is 15-20 pounds cheaper during an appearance in the next couple of weeks, and the volume of autographs sold will be vastly smaller than it was in London.

You claim it’s because of airfares, but an airfare between 2,000 – 3,000 people really isn’t that much of a difference.

Airfares and hotels are also fairly consistant, year on year. (Again, you and I have no knowledge of how much it costs to rent an arena)

Please back up your claims with some figures.

back up your myth theory with numbers Stan Lee was way more expensive in the big apple in October 13. $75.

He lives in LA so the reason he might be cheaper at that show is there are no international flights to factor in. however he is $65 for autograph which is £41.60 Hardly any difference!

Have you actually attended a US con? if not you have no idea!

I have attended 11 in the last 2 years in the states. They advertise prices far lower than they end up being.

one example Dean Cain at a recent US con in April: $40 autograph on 10x8. $60 on larger item. $80 on a premium item such as a cape or statue. Photo op (TAKEN WITH YOU OWN PHONE/CAMERA) at his table $60!!!

SHOWMASTERS PRICES ARE FLAT WITH NO EXTRA FOR DIFFERENT ITEMS.......we are far far better off here at UK conventions.

I have said all I can on these issues, if people don't understand and just want to make stuff up then I am also OUT. I have nothing further to say on the whole issue other than I hope everyone gets what they can afford.

Edited by phillycheesesteak

Said it before... will say it again... I think everything worked great for Gold Ticket holders. Just limit the numbers of walk ins and everything will be fine. Everything else was sorted perfectly. I really think so.

You say that but I've read numerous posts where the gold ticket holders felt less valued than normal - no doubt due to the increased availability of such passes and apparently the gold room was a shambles as well.

I agree the number of entrants on the day needs to be capped as well though. SM seem to be labouring under the impression that a good percentage of attendees get what they want from the show, then leave, thus leaving room for new entrants. I'd suggest that the sheer size of the show and number of activities throughout the day means that a good deal of visitors like to make a day of it, as it were, so would suggest that entry to the event should be pre-sold only.

• Like 1

guys... i think we can actually be glad that we are all actually able to get in and that it's not like SDCC where you join something resembling a lottery to be in with a chance for a flippin' ticket.... if SM events keep being so successful that how it'll have to be in the future.

already with chevron i buy my tickets on advance so i could easily buy my tickets for the next one at the current one theoretical speaking of course. but i agree i dont want the events to get to the same difficulty of getting into as SDCC especially when we aren't even at the size of SDCC yet.

I haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone has mentioned this before, but it would be a good idea to have staff members at frequent intervals of the queues to explain which queue is which. I arrived on Saturday at 10:10 and got into 2 wrong queues before finding the right one (pre-paid standard).

• Like 1

You can hold whatever opinion you want but every opinion you seem to hold is the opposite of the overwhlming majority on this forum but coincidentily all those opinions favour showmasters. and when those opposing opinions are hid from view it is hard to think we are being heard. Of all the problems last weekend do you not notice that i am not criticising sm, big cons beget big problems and i have said multiple times that i give the benifit of the doubt that sm will get it right in the future. Plus i have always stated that i enjoy the events. but you argue that censoring the views of sm customers is right, you state that raising prices and creating new tiers of tickets is right, you continuingly state that having concerns and criticisms is "making trouble" that repeatedly asking for clarification to questions that go unanwsered is "making trouble" and grounds for post removal and even account banning. How can any free thinking person think that is a corect strategy for any company to take. I have never, not once swore or insulted anyone on these forums and yet the other day you refeered to me as "peope like yourself causing trouble" just because i thought customers deserved to have their concerns left in view. Is anything i have said to you that bad reeally? i think no yet you are continuously sly and dismissive to me in your anwsers. I can tell that you think i am "making trouble" when all i am doing is ssupporting what 100s of thousands af men and women died fighting to give us- a free country with right of reply and yet that will no doubt end with my account being suspended because sm don't want to hear it.

Actually, at the current rate, that is GBP 43.85, so still cheaper.

Thanks Robert.

The price is $65 which is £38.02.

This is their autograph service, so perhaps the show fee will be even less.

Edited by farmer

You say that but I've read numerous posts where the gold ticket holders felt less valued than normal - no doubt due to the increased availability of such passes and apparently the gold room was a shambles as well.

I agree the number of entrants on the day needs to be capped as well though. SM seem to be labouring under the impression that a good percentage of attendees get what they want from the show, then leave, thus leaving room for new entrants. I'd suggest that the sheer size of the show and number of activities throughout the day means that a good deal of visitors like to make a day of it, as it were, so would suggest that entry to the event should be pre-sold only.

Quite frankly I have no idea what their problem was. I was a gold ticket holder and i was treated with "priority" wherever I went. Maybe people need to smile more and learn to be friendly and respectful to the staff or something... i was always friendly polite and gave everyone a smile and i had no issues whatsoever. Quite the opposite. People were absolutely lovely to me. Respectful, friendly, caring... anything I could wish for. So yeah... i have no complaints except that it was too full on Saturday and therefore too hot. i really just think people need to be a bit realistic. What did they expect? A red carpet and a margarita on arrival and someone to carry them to the autograph session on a golden throne? Sorry I know i am getting sarcastic now but neither me nor my friend had ANY hassle at all and i am finding all this really ridiculous at this point. Poor Dave and Jason...

Quite frankly I have no idea what their problem was. I was a gold ticket holder and i was treated with "priority" wherever I went. Maybe people need to smile more and learn to be friendly and respectful to the staff or something... i was always friendly polite and gave everyone a smile and i had no issues whatsoever. Quite the opposite. People were absolutely lovely to me. Respectful, friendly, caring... anything I could wish for. So yeah... i have no complaints except that it was too full on Saturday and therefore too hot. i really just think people need to be a bit realistic. What did they expect? A red carpet and a margarita on arrival and someone to carry them to the autograph session on a golden throne? Sorry I know i am getting sarcastic now but neither me nor my friend had ANY hassle at all and i am finding all this really ridiculous at this point. Poor Dave and Jason...

Seriously? "Poor Dave and Jason"??!?- is that the sarcastic bit you were referring to?

• Moderators

You can hold whatever opinion you want but every opinion you seem to hold is the opposite of the overwhlming majority on this forum but coincidentily all those opinions favour showmasters. and when those opposing opinions are hid from view it is hard to think we are being heard. Of all the problems last weekend do you not notice that i am not criticising sm, big cons beget big problems and i have said multiple times that i give the benifit of the doubt that sm will get it right in the future. Plus i have always stated that i enjoy the events. but you argue that censoring the views of sm customers is right, you state that raising prices and creating new tiers of tickets is right, you continuingly state that having concerns and criticisms is "making trouble" that repeatedly asking for clarification to questions that go unanwsered is "making trouble" and grounds for post removal and even account banning. How can any free thinking person think that is a corect strategy for any company to take. I have never, not once swore or insulted anyone on these forums and yet the other day you refeered to me as "peope like yourself causing trouble" just because i thought customers deserved to have their concerns left in view. Is anything i have said to you that bad reeally? i think no yet you are continuously sly and dismissive to me in your anwsers. I can tell that you think i am "making trouble" when all i am doing is ssupporting what 100s of thousands af men and women died fighting to give us- a free country with right of reply and yet that will no doubt end with my account being suspended because sm don't want to hear it.

Seriously, when things end up being referred back to war and stuff like that, don't you think they might be getting a LITTLE out of hand? Let's get a bit of perspective on all this please.

In the end, it's an Internet message board. Plenty of stuff is still on this forum that if we were such 'Nazis' or whatever else we get called would have been removed instantly. Whether you agree with the other removals is irrelevant, but please don't make us out to be the most evil people on the planet. Like I said - it's an Internet message board and not worth all this hassle in the end.

Increasing costs as a way of crowd control is both lazy and unethical. It would be a shot in the foot and the final nail for some. Do people not keep up with current affairs? This way of thinking is outmoded and is failing across the globe. SM don't want to increase cost, the fans don't want increased cost so hey, how about not increasing the costs?

Of course people pay only what they can afford, not sure that is the issue here. Bigger boat, more people, same price but still more profit, everyone is happy. Jeez, it's not rocket science!

• Like 2

Why do people need to bring up the "I have a right because people died for it". It seriously takes things too far, this is not some Nazi forum or some pro-political forum. This is SM forum, they can do what they want in regards to censorship you make it sound like they have no freedom of speech here, yet there are complaints unbanned on the forum's still, sure we may not like all of how they censor but if you don't like it either make your own forum or accept SM forum. I may be going off topic but it seriously grinds me when people use the soldier excuse in an argument. Rant Over

• Like 2