Thoughts about show after our debrief & how to move forward

I would like to hear:

"We are sorry that many of you who travelled far and wide did not get to see guests they wanted.

Next time...

- We will NOT hand out several VT tickets to one person at the same time. One per person.

- We WILL take take VT tickets from you when you join the queue.

- We WILL limit every attendee to a maximum of 5 autographs, whether an attendee, a dealer, a gold pass holder, or regular ticket. If you want more autographs you will have to get another VT ticket or join if/when the guest becomes open queue."

I agree with all of these. they are fair and will get lines moving quicker, mean more people are seen and prevent as many people getting annoyed with VT control.

Edited by stargate geek emily
  • Like 3

Much to what people think I have done sound professionally before and understand the issues with the super stage - believe me I tried everything to try and get it right, I have made suggestions about how the sound is set up in the future, it also doesn't help when some guests hold the mic to their mouth and others at waist height!

As for makig the event longer, bear in mind that most of us are volunteers and by the end of Sunday are completely burnt out, some of us work from 7am on the Thursday until late Sunday ( and some even longer than that). Maybe having a few of the bigger guests signing outside of show hours would work.

Cheers

Even when my football team were in the non-leauge they had a better sound system for their fans forums, than multimilion pound Showmasters have for paid talks - and believe it or not fans hold their microphones in various ways too.

With no disrispect intended. Isn't it time they employed full-time professionals to do things like this, as opposed to running it on a shoe string with volenteers.

It's time to get a bit more professional, and invest some money into some serious kit.

Intended or not I am a professional and have been doing this for years. I agree that some of the kit could be better (it belongs to sm not to me). But if there is to be a super stage again I'm sure things will be different.

One suggestion I might might make is to have a dedicated Showmasters Info twitter feed. David does a great job of covering the event for social media, but having a feed just for the duration of the show that gives updates on queuing times, timetable changes etc would be a cost-effective way to disseminate info a little more widely. Although I guess that wouldn't have been much help this weekend to those on EE ;)

I had a great time (despite the heat, which was no one's fault) as all the guests were brilliant and I got everything i wanted with no difficulty. However, I do think a little thought needs to be given to the layout next time. Having one of the ladies' toilets blocked off was just daft! Also, if there could be some way to find a dedicated space for people just to chill and chat (and thereby take people out of the areas of main activity) that would be great. As it was, many people started sitting on the floor, or hanging around near queuing areas, which made crowding and queue management problems worse. Usually crew are able to shoo people whose VQ numbers haven't yet been called away from the autograph areas - but in this case there was not really anywhere else for them to go!

I look forward to next year's LFCC - although I may give the sat a miss and just go Fri/Sat. But if I do, that will be my choice and my preference, and not in anyway a condemnation of how things were run this weekend.

• Like 1

Much to what people think I have done sound professionally before and understand the issues with the super stage - believe me I tried everything to try and get it right, I have made suggestions about how the sound is set up in the future, it also doesn't help when some guests hold the mic to their mouth and others at waist height!

As for makig the event longer, bear in mind that most of us are volunteers and by the end of Sunday are completely burnt out, some of us work from 7am on the Thursday until late Sunday ( and some even longer than that). Maybe having a few of the bigger guests signing outside of show hours would work.

Cheers

Even when my football team were in the non-leauge they had a better sound system for their fans forums, than multimilion pound Showmasters have for paid talks - and believe it or not fans hold their microphones in various ways too.

With no disrispect intended. Isn't it time they employed full-time professionals to do things like this, as opposed to running it on a shoe string with volenteers.

It's time to get a bit more professional, and invest some money into some serious kit.

Intended or not I am a professional and have been doing this for years. I agree that some of the kit could be better (it belongs to sm not to me). But if there is to be a super stage again I'm sure things will be different.

What I don't understand is that if the equipment was not fit for purpose, why you didn't just hire a suitable rig for the weekend. Being at a venue in London,it would have been quick and easy and not too expensive!

Having done both the Bass Show and NAMM, I don't think your problem was the super stage at all, it sound more like your mikes were not working correctly and the feedback to the speakers was wrong.which made the sound garbled and unclear. With the Super Stage your problems would have been boom and echo working with such a large space and I didn't hear that at all.

Placement of handheld mikes should not have been a problem if they were of good quality like an SM58 for example. However for these type of presentations you should have been using clip on mikes which are pre-checked for levels.

Hi Jason and all,

Sorry for getting this to you so late but only really had time to sit down now.

First of all I would like to thank you from the absolute BOTTOM of my heart for putting on such a wonderful Convention. My friend Mark and I travelled over from Dublin to attend it and we were DEFINITELY NOT disappointed. On the contrary. We both got to do stuff we really enjoyed. Mark is big into his comic books and got a few first editions signed. Me on the other hand I am a big fan of Doctor Who and Star Wars so for me this event was just absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Now I should probably mention at this point that both Mark and I (my name is Nadine *wave*) had Gold Passes which were worth their weight in gold (no pun intended!). Due to the fact that we had those passes we got into the Con early on all days, were always first in the queues (well I was. Not much queuing for Mark) and I had most of my photo shoots booked before I arrived. It was totally and utterly hassle free. The only tickets I bought on the Friday were Carrie Fisher and Anthony Head (because they were added after the shop closed for me outside of the UK) and I upgraded my Paul McGann ticket to a prop shoot (and thank GOD I did. What an experience!!!) . So that was really the only type of queue I was in (except the entry queue because we wanted to be there early).

Beside Anthony, Carrie and Paul I got to meet Colin Baker, Michael Madsen, Kenny Baker, Billy Dee Williams, Lena Headey, Stan Lee and Jenna Coleman. I was absolutely thrilled of course to get the opportunity to be close to all those heroes of mine and I have NOTHING bad to say about any of the organisation and I perfectly understand that we were requested to not hug Stan (which is the only time we were told not to) as he’s an old gentleman and had a couple of very long and tough days ahead of him and so of course we wouldn’t want to expose him to all our germs and touches. Perfectly understandable.

I also did not even notice the batmobile was dusty… that comment really made me laugh. Seriously whoever complained about that… have some bloody COP ON!!!

Mark was actually there to assist the lady who stepped on the glass. s*** happens. She’s grand.

So I really want to say that I thought the organisation was outstanding and I really think you should leave it the way it is in terms of Gold Passes and then additional passes for photo shoots and VT ticket queues. I think it all worked very well. If people really want to meet an A List guest they should understand that there will be a big demand and they need to either queue up early or get a Gold Pass. That’s what they are there for after all. So yeah I think you should leave that as is just sell less tickets next year like you already took onboard. The place was simply too crowded on Saturday which is one of the only three pieces of feedback I have. So yeah… my constructive comments are that it was too crowded on Saturday, the 2nd is that it was too hot and I almost fainted at one point cos I was sweating, hadn’t eaten (my own fault I know lol) and was stressed and tired (also my own fault…). But yes guys it was too hot! The aircon was blowing air out at some point and it was lovely for about 10 minutes and then it stopped again and we almost died again… so yeah… that wasn’t great.

And my last constructive comment is around the acoustics at the Super Stage. It was fine if you sat in the back rows or even a few rows in. 4th Row Jenna talk: grand, 10th row or so Stan Lee= perfect accoustcs. But I was in the first row for both Doctor Who talks and I didn’t understand a word and I wasn’t the only one so… yeah… please try to sort that out for the next time.

Other than that I thought it was a perfectly organised event that was enjoyed by all the people I speak too (bar one who was an annoying w*nker who complained about eeeeverything). You really have outdone yourself and I actually had a better time at LFCC 2014 than I had at SDCC 2013 and that is saying something.

Thank you so much to all of you guys you really created an experience for me that I will never ever forget (Paul and I in the TARDIS being the highlight) and I thank you so so much for it…. Seriously… thank you… I will definitely be back next year! *squeezy hugs*

Yours with love,

Nadine (aka Sheldine Cooper :) )

https://twitter.com/SheldineCooper

https://www.facebook.com/nadine.schulz

http://instagram.com/sheldinecooper

• Like 1

One suggestion I might might make is to have a dedicated Showmasters Info twitter feed. David does a great job of covering the event for social media, but having a feed just for the duration of the show that gives updates on queuing times, timetable changes etc would be a cost-effective way to disseminate info a little more widely. Although I guess that wouldn't have been much help this weekend to those on EE ;)

This is a brilliant suggestion. Other places do it, too - eg the Natural History Museum has a dedicated twitter feed *just* for queueing times, as well as a regular feed (like David's) with news, great photos, etc.

• Like 2

" With the Super Stage your problems would have been boom and echo working with such a large space and I didn't hear that at all."

I did! In fact that's all I heard. Too boomy too much echo. Some fire proof blacks around the stage and seating would have sorted that! Along with a pa suitable to the space.

I can't say I heard any feedback in the 1 talk I was in (I didn't go back as the sound was so bad). Indeed better mics would have helped, and would also have solved the issue with where the guests held them. Although if a professional sound crew was running the stage they would not have had these kinds of issues as it's all part of being a Sound Engineer!

• Like 3

Jason, well done for this post & for putting on a great show. Every right thinking person would only ever want the best for Stan Lee so the tough decisions that had to be taken were the right ones, even if it meant many people missing out. I am glad to hear Stan had an amazing, if not tiring, time.

Moving forward I do like the idea of the 'Stand alone combo' ticket & I'm looking forward to see which A-list stars you can attract for future events. As always you & the Showmasters team continue to learn & grow bigger events.

• Like 1

So suddenly everybody's a sound engineer and I'm not professional. Can I just say I have worked in the events industry for 20 years and yes that includes as a sound engineer. I agree that some of the equipment could've been better but I'm pretty sure SM (of which I do not work for) are not going to spend out on a bigger rig so it can be used for 2 days in the year!

I attended on the sunday, owing to previous knowledge of how busy the Saturdays can get. I was hoping that thanks could especially go to the staff at the Carrie Fisher and Ian Mcdiarmid lines. The blue shirt staff were really knowledgeable, more than some red shirt staff, and helped me with clashes and organizing parts of my day. Also Photoshoot D had great staff for the same reasons, as I could only attend the Sunday (really for Ian Mcdiarmid) I had to fit in a lot in a day so huge thanks to staff for that!!!

• Like 1

The event certainly had its problems, but I think that overall, the conference was amazing and congratulations to Showmasters for bringing so many huge stars to the event.

I've read most of the rants, but I feel the biggest issue is mainly information flow.

Information : We absolutely require some kind of realtime information. I don't care if it's scribbled on a whiteboard or whatever. The schedule posters can't be updated centrally since there's so many scattered around the venue, so when a change happens, there's just no way to know about it in advance. An app would've helped. I found myself looking at other people's tickets held in their hands to figure out if I was in the correct queue at the correct time.

Information : You crew members aren't very well informed at all. Most of them don't know the answers to basic questions. For instance, there was no information about what talks were free and incredibly, the people at the ticket sales desk didn't know the answer. I asked for a ticket for the Star Trek talk. "Oh, there's none left", was the reply. "That means it must be a free talk", they continued. Facepalm.

Photo Queues : The crew members in general did an awful job of controlling the queues and giving out information. The two I'd like to commend was the large fellow who ran Photo A. I've seen him at DST before and he always shouts out the VT numbers and controls the queue. Well done to him. He should be a team leader. The fellow running Photo D on Saturday was very similar. He stuck to the VT system and did a great job of telling people to move back and help the queue flow. He's another team leader you should consider.

Crowding : Also, in terms of overcrowding (and this happened at DST too), you didn't have open arterial routes. The walking zones between the sales stands was the same regardless. It's obvious that the two closest to the doors should be twice the width since that's where the majority of the foot fall lands.

Queuing : you need queue polls! Not for the entire spiral queue, but certainly to control the queue area itself and to reduce queue jumpers.

Queuing : You need waaaaaay more sales desks. The queue for tickets inside the venue was insane. It takes about 80 minutes to get from the grey information board to the front of the queue.

Smartphone App : Please make one. It'll make your job much easier to have a central source of information to share. When a schedule changes, it'll make it much easier for everyone to see. Availability of tickets, expected queue times etc... all of that information is utterly invaluable to your customers.

Tickets : I personally had little problem with ticket availability. I purchased most of tickets on advance on the website and I was able to get tickets for the bigger stars like Biehn and Kebilli mid-day Saturday. I don't think you need to make a change to that system other than allow online orders closer to the date. If people weren't able to get tickets then frankly, that's their own fault for not being prepared. Although, as I mentioned earlier, more sales desks are essential.

Rest Areas : We certainly need more rest areas and seating. I know this is something you want to reserve for Gold members, but all we need is some central open seating where people can relax for a while after standing for hours in queues.

Anyway, it was still an awesome event, and you're only a few tweaks away from making it truly untouchable.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

The post talking about people getting more than one virtual ticket, and tickets not being taken - I had forgotten about this. I don't think ANY of my virtual tickets were taken when joining the queue. I was really low with my ticket numbers, so could easily have passed those on to someone else after I was done. The issuing of tickets was a bit rubbish too. I know they are fiddly, trying to rip the ticket off, but some people were unbelievable slow at issuing them. Some were happy to give out 4 or 5 to one person, while others stuck to the rules. But the one thing that really bugs me is this; every single time I go to get a virtual ticket, the person in front starts asking a question, and the person dispensing tickets spends the next couple of minutes answering and not giving out tickets. Fair enough if someone has a question, but DON'T stop giving out tickets to those reaching out their hands. With such a mad rush at the start of the show, spending two minutes waiting for ever ticket you want is a waste of precious time.

So suddenly everybody's a sound engineer and I'm not professional. Can I just say I have worked in the events industry for 20 years and yes that includes as a sound engineer. I agree that some of the equipment could've been better but I'm pretty sure SM (of which I do not work for) are not going to spend out on a bigger rig so it can be used for 2 days in the year!

Don't think I said that SM should buy new equipment or that you were not professional, what annoyed me was the phrase "I am just a volunteer" being used as an excuse. But as a sound engineer you should know that it often better to hire to suit environment and that's what they should have done. And if we are doing the whole "I' have worked in the event industry for XXX years". I have been running events for over 10 years and worked in the industry for over 20 across corporate, entertainment, music and promotional events.

I found it very interesting to be on the "other side of the fence" for once and had to actually stop myself from stepping in to help when one volunteer just upped and left the programme stand because "she had to get a picture" leaving it unmanned.

Thank you for the update Jason

My thoughts are if you are going to be using earls court one and two next year???

Why not have the gold room in earls court one instead of two. As there was lots of room over there and maybe use the conference rooms on level 3 for small talks and gold room ??? Or for the guest so they have some quite time for there breaks ???

Unless you have to pay for that then use some room on level two as it was cooler over there and people won't be taking the seats out of it ????

Also I think an app would be a great idea as everyone would cheek there phone to see if anything had change over the day. Plus if you did a raffle again you could but it on the app to cheak you numbers . It would also mean one person could be in charge of this and save time for your staff running around trying to find out stuff when all they would have to do is look at there phone and if out???

I AM a sound engineer! And all I was saying was that set up was NOT professional.

SM don't have to buy the system. That's what PA companies are for! I know a few that have worked that room many times who would hire them the system for a couple of days, set it up and operate too if they wanted.

Edited by Wrong Name
  • Like 1

Have to say, I use and visit alot of forums and this is by far the most bizarre in terms of what you arent allowed to mention or talk about.

Me too, i've never seen anything like it. Of all the problems on saturday i can cut them alot of slack, great guests equal huge queue and i will give them the benifit of the doubt that they will fix those problems at future shows and in the end they host great shows but i will never understand or except the censorship of their customers views, its ludicrous and wrong.

after friday and saturdays fiasco of trying to gain access and gold tickets we talked to a another couple staying at the hotel we were based out of and they had warned us of all the negative comments that were on this forum and that they were being deleted as fast as they were being posted. they told us if we wanted the truth we should check out facebook and twitter as Showmasters couldn't control or censor those.

after reading through 21 pages of negative comments on facebook, i went to bed dreading sunday would be like at LFCC

• Like 1

Hey Jason,

first of all: it was a great, great show! I had a fab time and my two "comrades" as well. I had a gold ticket which made it possible for me to get everything I wanted out of this weekend, and my friend with the early bird entry ticket on saturday stated queueing at 8 and was inside by 9.30, so no complaints here.

Yes, it was very crowded, but it did not feel worse than last year.

Yes, you had some bumps along the way, but you guys did an amazing job, seriously! You helped wherever needed. We had some minor problems on Friday getting our gold passes (wrong list, or something like that).

At one point on saturday I got a pit boss for a girl sitting next to a guest (I did crew for you last year and she looked quite stressed so I offered my help), so it might be helpful (as you already mentioned s well) to get more helping hands in, even if they "only" play runner between people, it might be beneficial (at least for saturday - whenever you need me ... :) ).

The A-lister combo (photo, autograph, talk) sounds like a good idea, I had a very upset german in front of me who understood the virtual ticket system too late and couldn't meet Bernard Cribbins.

One minus point you might want to change for next year: I am very fluent in english, but I had major problem understanding anything coming through the speakers on the super-stage, the accoustics in that hall are not made for something like that, Could help to set this stage up on EC2 and put something else there that doesn't need speakers - photoshoots perhaps?

In any case the running between the halls on saturday was risky and after I nearly missed a shoot I decided not to go back into 1, although my friend texted me that I won an autograph with Moffat. It was either getting to the autograph or a photo shoot ... Photoshoot won.

Having said this, there is always something to complain about (dirty cars apperently included) - I loved the event, and will be back next year, come what may! (So say we all!)

:)

Smartphone App : Please make one. It'll make your job much easier to have a central source of information to share. When a schedule changes, it'll make it much easier for everyone to see. Availability of tickets, expected queue times etc... all of that information is utterly invaluable to your customers.

Something like this: https://guidebook.com/

• Like 1

I've just remembered something; that enormous skull at the front, while cool, was one of the main causes of congestion. People were trying to go AROUND it but realised you couldn't so people double backed right into the fresh influx of people coming in. It'd be better to keep that area clear in future, it would really help.

Edited by stevie_g
  • Like 1

I am ways grateful for Jason's involvement on the forums but sometimes we could really go with some more concrete promises "for next time "

I would like to hear:

"We are sorry that many of you who travelled far and wide did not get to see guests they wanted.

Next time...

- We will NOT hand out several VT tickets to one person at the same time. One per person.

- We WILL take take VT tickets from you when you join the queue.

- We WILL limit every attendee to a maximum of 5 autographs, whether an attendee, a dealer, a gold pass holder, or regular ticket. If you want more autographs you will have to get another VT ticket or join if/when the guest becomes open queue."

I did read prior to the event that a VT was to be given to each person in the queue irrespective of whether or not they wanted an autograph but then also heard at the event that it was supposed to be one VT per autograph sought but that could be mixed up with the likes of John Hurt et al where they had dedicated 1-5 tickets indicating how many autographs you wanted when you paid.

First I would like to say thank you to Jason and the Showmasters crew for putting on such an amazing event over the weekend. Something that will stay long in the memory.

There were many positives from the event, but, in my opinion, there were also things which SM can learn from, from the experiences that people had.

E-Ticketing - this is a must. Sooner the better. I've been to cons in N.America and buying these tickets prior to the event makes it much less stressful for when you turn up on the day. Also, this allows entrance tickets to be bought up until opening time. When you get to the queue at the con, your e-ticket gets scanned, you get a coloured wrist band, dictated by the type of ticket you hold (1,2,3 or 4 day). When it's time to open the doors, everyone just walks in.

Entrance tickets - these should be limited to x amount per day. I would definitely stop pay on the day on Saturdays to avoid excessive queuing (and it could get worse if the event gets more popular).

The queues outside - these were highlighted within the forum days before the event so it would be easier for people to know where to go to when they arrived. I had no problem finding the gold pass queue.

Exclusive tickets for A class stars - great idea! Works in America. They have 'VIP tickets' for all major stars. The VIP e-ticket is bought prior to the event and includes 1 photo op (priority queue), 1 autograph (priority queue), guaranteed seat at the talk (if applicable) and getting into the con 1st for every day (sometimes prior to opening). This might make Gold passes redundant though as 'Gold' will not be priority at autograph and photo op queues.

AC - with the amount of people at the event, it was clear to me that the body heat in the arena was going to control temperature in the place. I didn't even feel the AC all weekend.

Silver tickets - should be scrapped. You either have Gold/VIP exclusive tickets, or general entrance tickets.

Autograph queues - VQ does work, but when you are handing out number 1,000 on Saturday at 11am is not right because you're getting people's hopes up for no reason. Again, this should limited to say 500 VQ tickets per star per day considering most if not all stars have 2 photo shoots and a possible talks to attend. Add in lunch etc and 1,000 isn't happening. If it exceeds, open the queue up, but limit it to 20 in a queue.

Barriers at Autograph queue - to limit the length of queues when obtaining autographs, have a barrier all the way across next to where the VQ numbers are to stop over crowding and having excessive queues. I believe SM will have more control on the length of the queue.

Photo op queues - Zig-Zag Barriers are required here because of the amount of people getting photo ops now. the photo ops ticket numbers are not being adhered to as much as they where a couple of years ago. Again, this would give SM more control by only letting in the people within the barriers with the correct op number.

Gold pass holders @ Photo ops - the queue needs to be marked clearly. Again, because of the amount of people around the area. This can be done by a separate barrier at the side where the few can queue.

These are only my opinions of what I think could work in the future. Feel free to discuss and for Showmasters to use at their next event.

I'm already looking forward to the LFCC Winter! Bring it on!!

• Like 1

How i think things could be improved for next year----

1 VT= 1 autographs and no-one should be allowed more than 5 VT's no matter if they have early bird, silver, gold tickets or are dealers if they want more than 5 autos from someone they need to get a 2nd lot of VT's and join the back of the queue or wait till the queue has dies down to get more.

VT's should be taken from you when you get your autograph.

more staff.

wider corridors between the dealers stalls especially near the front exit.

the staff need to go up an down the queues giving out info on how long thing will be and if any changes or delays are happening.

tickets should only be available on line for sat & sun prevents crowds of thousands waiting at the door to get in.

autograph queue's possible need to be in a separate space to the dealers or the whole layout need a re-jig it was really difficult to find anything.

there need to be more floor plans and time tables posted around especially round the edges of the building inside next to the loo's and café's that's where many people were sitting and going to so to have floor plans and timetables on the edge walls would be a big help.

an app with real time info would be good especially for knowing when high num VT's are being called, when changes to time tables are made and when guests unexpectedly have to cancel.

posters of x person photo's has sold out need to be stuck higher up above head hight so they can be seen further back in the queue so people near the back don't wait in the queue for 60 mins then get to the front only to find what they had been waiting for has sold out.

staff need to be better informed of what talks there are, there the photo sections are and what is free/ what is paid for.

e-tickets people so people can print their tickets off on-line. it would save showmaster a lot of time and means they could shut the shop closer to the shop 2 days rather than 1 to 2 weeks before the event. Even if you still sent out some tickets to people who book early you could make do print your own e-tickets optional for those who buy their tickets within a week of the event.

better signage outside showing where queues start ( when i arrived i asked one of the showmaster people i had a pre bought ticket where do i queue. i was sent all the way round the building and almost back to where i had started. if someone had just said yet its just there on your left it might have saved me 1/4 hour talking trying to find it in the sweltering sun.)

somewhere to sit inside maybe along the edge of the walls where everyone crowds. i know you want to keep a place with chairs for gold tickets but us regulat ticket holders when the temperature is sweltering can feel faint too and maybe even just the addition of a few benches along the edges of the building might help especially if there was a staff member making sure people got their sit down then up and left for someone else to take a quick sit down.

more of the side doors open to let the air in. i know you don't want people going in and out the fire escapes and blocking them for in an emergency but if the doors were open but red tape was across them saying no access and someone (earls court staff) guarding them to make sure people didn't just duck under or remove the tape then more fresh air could get into the building making it cooler.

hope some of these suggestions can be of use and be used for next year.