Thoughts about show after our debrief & how to move forward

Thanks for this response Jason, I think it has cleared up some things but not all. Like others above have said, I'd really like an explanation for what went wrong with the GoT screening as many people are disappointed. I'd also like to know why the fire exits were closed, creating both a big safety issue and not making use of a good exit point - and also why the women's toilets were blocked off on one side. I think I spent longer queueing for the toilets than I did for the guests! Please consider guests with chronic illnesses etc for whom access to toilets, seating and water is even more important.

Having redone my fire warden training recently at work I can comment on this. Fire exits are supposed to be kept closed at all times EXCEPT in the event of a fire to allow emergency egress from the building.

Sorry, I don't think I was very clear, I was referring to people saying the fire exits were chained up or blocked off. Not just closed. There were exits at the side opened to let people out at night, not sure if they were fire exits or not but it seemed silly to not use them throughout the day.

i can say 100% there was no chained up or blocked off active fire exits.

all light fire exits we unlocked and open that is 100% and the venue keeps records of this and the fire officer was there all day every day and we would not be aloud to open if it was any other way.

​i hope that clears this up for you

jason

Saturday morning in Stan's hall the doors leading to the stairs were inaccessible - signs saying you couldn't use them; they weren't fire exits, but the only way up to the 1st floor was via escalator, and the only way day was a single lift that maybe held 12 people......How in the world were people expected to get out of that building after getting VQ tickets for Stan? Later in the day the stairs were opened, so why not in the morning? There was a crush of people trying to exit the building so they could get over to the other one for VQ tickets......

I've much preferred Olympia to EC2, not sure if that's considered too small now, but it at least has the balconies to retreat to.

You could probably get more people in at Olympia, but you would probably need to take 3 venues looking at this. I suspect that the logistics (and cost) of that would be too problemmatical. (The same considerations probably also rule out them hiring the conference centre there for decently-staged talks).

Looks like they've taken Olympia 2 out of service as that was on the front and spread over three levels.

OK, this is the thing...

In the past, Gold Passes gave the advantage to get autos and photos faster than others. I started getting them when I began to go with my 8-year-old son; although enthusiastic, it would be tiring for him to spend 8 hours at any venue (Earl Court, Milton Keynes etc.), so the sooner we collect our stuff, the better. Previously, I used to pay on the day (how adventurous of me!) and get virtual queue tickets, spend the whole day at the con and, in the end, get anything I needed (including a Elijah Wood auto at 5.50 pm, whose virtual ticket number was above 1200). The atmosphere was more relaxed, more time to go through stalls etc.

So, basically, by buying a Gold Pass you would essentially buy time.

Nowadays, owning a Gold Pass makes the difference between meeting the guests or not. Even with a Gold Pass you have to rush continuously and relentlessly from one photoshoot to another and then to a talk and then to another photoshoot etc., fighting the always increasing amount of clashes. Going through the stalls is no longer a feasible experience - lack of time and people all over the place. The atmosphere is no longer relaxed.

Selling more VIP tickets will not improve anything on the "overcrowding" side of the problem. You may sell as many "exclusive" tickets/package as you deem right (and I am not necessarily against them) but if you don't sort out the "crowd and crewing" issue, you are not going to solve the problem.

I think the only way to make a productive step forward is to sell IN ADVANCE (e-tickets would be a good idea) as many tickets as the venue allows (including enough space to walk and breath comfortably - you should have plenty of experience, by now). If there are any left, communicate on the website AND at the venue exactly how many are still available to sell on the day - people paying on the day would come at their own risk, served on a first comes first basis. Once all tickets have been sold out, please tell people to leave and go home - leaving them outside for hours with a vague hope to come in if someone comes out, just to cash in a few pounds more, doesn't sound right.

AND... certainly limit the number of autos per person to a reasonable maximum (very busy guests shouldn't do more than 3-5 at a time) - when a person is allowed to get 20 autos, that means that, automatically, 20 fans are not going to get anything.

• Like 3

I actually had a good weekend, even with all the bad stuff, but I have to say, being on the forum in the aftermath has changed my opinion of Showmaster more than any problems at the con ever could!

Seing the way they have deleted or hidden any negative posts, especially those mentioning the programme raffle fiasco has really offended and upset me! Most of them were not 'getting out of hand' as previously stated. And Showmaster deleting them has just made me feel that it really was a scam, especially when I read their comment defending themselves on one of the threads where they made statements that I knew from my own experience weren't true!

It's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by kitten101
  • Like 6

Why are all the raffle threads being deleted? There wasn't any rudeness? And I was trying to answer a statement that Showmaster submitted. ??

I didn't see kitten's post, but I'm disappointed that all the raffle threads have been deleted without a replacement post from SM explaining what went wrong, and what they plan to do to fix it.

I do understand that SM are only human, and it's easy for something to go wrong with a new venture such as the raffle (especially with so much else going on), but, as I've said before, pretending a problem doesn't exist very rarely makes it go away.

• Like 2

Indeed, someone posted this morning a new topic about the game of thrones screening and it was deleted as well. I read the topic before it got deleted and there was nothing bad in it at all, just questions. Really doesn't help when this happens

Edit - never mind, I see that hasn't been deleted yet

Edited by Gordon The Gopher

Why are all the raffle threads being deleted? There wasn't any rudeness? And I was trying to answer a statement that Showmaster submitted. ??

I didn't see kitten's post, but I'm disappointed that all the raffle threads have been deleted without a replacement post from SM explaining what went wrong, and what they plan to do to fix it.

I do understand that SM are only human, and it's easy for something to go wrong with a new venture such as the raffle (especially with so much else going on), but, as I've said before, pretending a problem doesn't exist very rarely makes it go away.

But it will make it go away in this instance. Threads and posts will be deleted until no one is bothering anymore then all trace of complaint will be gone and newer expensive "packages" can be sold. Remember what DavidB said "this is not a place for free speech " this is not a democracy" but it is a place where the solution to the weekends problems is more tiers of tickets and does anyone think those tiers will be cheaper.

Have to say, I use and visit alot of forums and this is by far the most bizarre in terms of what you arent allowed to mention or talk about.

Me too, i've never seen anything like it. Of all the problems on saturday i can cut them alot of slack, great guests equal huge queue and i will give them the benifit of the doubt that they will fix those problems at future shows and in the end they host great shows but i will never understand or except the censorship of their customers views, its ludicrous and wrong.

• Like 1

It's really gone beyond a joke now... :(

I've been around a long time in the fandom and this place, the company & it's owner seems to have changed a lot since the day I first met him when he put on a really good show and had nothing but the fans' interests at heart... :(

There are other alternatives but they are costly...I now limit my expenses for the Showmasters and Massive Events to the bare minimum & spend on only one or two particular guests from the Stargate Fandom if they appear anywhere and save my money for other "adventures".....had an amazing one 2 months ago where I got to realise a wonderful dream...sadly I don't think it will ever happen at a Chevron so I took the opportunity where I could... :D

Vote with your feet and purse is the only way to make a protest these days I find...money is tight thanks to years of recession, I mean to make sure I get full value from my hard earned & saved up pennies.... :D

Edited by discodiva

Have to say, I use and visit alot of forums and this is by far the most bizarre in terms of what you arent allowed to mention or talk about.

Another forum I'm on was like this, it's pretty dead these days & the event has sadly seen attendances drop in the past few years.

I appreciate this response from Jason. There is useful information there.

But I don't feel like it's quite enough to give me confidence that the problems I experienced this year won't be repeated. So I look forward to further similar updates in the future, if at all possible.

There is little attention to the issues inside the venue on Saturday (aside from Stan Lee) regarding overcrowding, poor layout causing difficulties getting around the venue and out, poorly run autograph lines e.g. Summer's - where VTs weren't used properly for at least some of the day and the queues that just went on and on back into the hall from the guest table, lack of information regarding changes to times or even which numbers were being called for photo ops for anyone not at the front of the queue.

I feel that only pre-selling tickets for at least Saturday, if not the whole event, is a good way forward. But I also feel that a more comfortable cap on the number of people who actually get in the venue is needed. A bigger venue may very well be needed, but not if it's just going to be filled with more people and more activities so we're faced with the same crush of people we had this past Saturday.

I also feel that the pre-paid queues outside need to be better managed by more of the crew (rather than relying on the venue staff) from well before the event opens. This will be particularly important if all entry tickets are pre-sold as that will likely lead to a longer early bird queue. It took 1 hour 15 minutes for me to get into the venue after opening for the early bird ticket on Saturday, and I really feel that's too long. It used to be that you could arrive at 9.30 and walk straight in because the whole early bird pre-paid queue had gone in. So I think this will need to be addressed, maybe with more than one door available at 9am. Maybe something like, early bird tickets 1 to whatever queue at this door, then the next batch at a second door, simply to split the queue roughly in half and so people know which queue to join. If there are no buy on the door tickets then maybe half the early bird queue could queue there, which should speed up entry when the doors open at 9am. This might not be practical, but I would like to see the entry process less onerous and sped up somehow.

• Like 2

Some people on here are nuts....simply nuts - why argue with each other over something you will not decide upon and have neither the experience nor industry knowledge to say who is right or wrong.

We are all fans and the last thing we should do is turn on each other.

FYI - American cons are far - FAR more expensive....I should know I attend at least 5 a year in the states. We are lucky at the prices we get here....very lucky.

VIP individual guest passes work....simple as that and they always sell out in the states so clearly there are enough people willing to pay to guarantee the experience they want - as with everything in life / you get what you pay for. No one is entitled to see the guests for free etc or to still pay cheap prices. The only way you control numbers is simply price people out of the market - seems harsh but I think it's at least a way of not giving false hope and people will know where they stand.

I feel for anyone who can't get everything they want in life - but there are plenty of things I can't get and I never ever begrudge people who can.

As far as cons go I have a large budget and would be able to finance more expensive experiences so I am in favour of restricted ticket packages with auto/photo/meet and greet.

Please don't think I'm being a smug fellow here I am just being honest.

Us fans shouldn't turn on each other but you think that SM should price some of us out? Nice, real nice!

• Like 3

Thanks for this post, it has cleared up a lot of things. I had a great weekend and I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to meet some of the stars I have loved for years. Truly it means the world to me.

The one thing I would really like a response on in more detail is the chaining up of fire doors. Like I said I had a great weekend but when I heard this I felt a little unsafe and unsure the consequences had there been a fire doesn't bare thinking about. I hope that this is something that will be checked at future events. I know it is in part Earls Courts responsibility but it would be nice to know that SM will be looking at this as well.

Thank you

And yet after this has been stated many times on different threads on the forum there is still yet to be proof of a photo???

In a nutshell: The system works, it's just that too many people were in a venue that was too small for the event and there weren't enough trained staff. That's it. An exclusive ticket etc is only going to confuse people further and put up prices. Get a bigger venue, get more staff, train them better, job done. If you can't get a bigger venue then spread event over more days or let less people in, which ever is easier and more realistic. I will repeat, SM you were so lucky there wasn't a serious incident on Saturday, very lucky indeed!

Before anyone says, yes, some of the staff were as great as always but many of them were far from professional or competent.

• Like 2

Prepaid auto's also rule out the option to "ooh....I fancy an extra auto" when you arrive....

it doesn't have to. Say you preorder a £30 auto, they post a numbered voucher out to you that secures your place in the queue. At the guest's sales desk, you exchange that voucher for your first autograph and buy any extra you require at that time.

. No one is entitled to see the guests for free etc or to still pay cheap prices. The only way you control numbers is simply price people out of the market

Oh, thanks for that. That's real nice of you.

• Like 4

I've not read all of the comments on here so apologies if some of them have already been addressed:

EC1 was out of use for Thursday - Saturday as they were doing maintenance on the lighting rig, I would suspect this would have been used otherwise.

Believe me the fire and safety marshalls at EC are hot as hell so at no point would they have chained up fire doors, several times over the weekend we had dealings with them in EC1.

Much to what people think I have done sound professionally before and understand the issues with the super stage - believe me I tried everything to try and get it right, I have made suggestions about how the sound is set up in the future, it also doesn't help when some guests hold the mic to their mouth and others at waist height!

As for makig the event longer, bear in mind that most of us are volunteers and by the end of Sunday are completely burnt out, some of us work from 7am on the Thursday until late Sunday ( and some even longer than that). Maybe having a few of the bigger guests signing outside of show hours would work.

Cheers

Edited by dazzlerjames
  • Like 1

. No one is entitled to see the guests for free etc or to still pay cheap prices. The only way you control numbers is simply price people out of the market

Yeah let's just have a con for top hat wearing elitists. That'll make everything better.

• Like 2

Yeah let's just have a con for top hat wearing elitists. That'll make everything better.

Why not? When I was queuing in the gold pass queue, I didn't recognise anyone from my days at Eton College or Cambridge University. I stood next to someone who drove a BMW and not a Lamborghini. Horrible experience. Put me off completely when meeting Stan Lee. Someone told me (definitely went to a comprehensive in Peckham) that they're going on a cruise. Seriously, you can get a yacht for £30 million - they're not that expensive.

• Like 7

I'm not too sure about these "exclusive" packages. What will these do to us average joe's who can't afford the regular gold pass? These guest exclusive packages would really limit the chances of someone like me and I'm sure that of many others who can't simply afford to shell out £200+ on a VIP pass :(

• Like 1

Having had time to sit back and think I perceive the problem was basically you had 3 cons in one. The YALC stuff should have been its own con, the stan lee and comicbook area could have been a con on its own. Then you had all the other guests signing and photos and stalls which was your third con.
So next time don't cram everything into one weekend. Spread it out a bit. To use an illustration. Its like having three roast dinners in one sitting…causes integestion, and stomach pain. ;)

• Like 3

Why not? When I was queuing in the gold pass queue, I didn't recognise anyone from my days at Eton College or Cambridge University. I stood next to someone who drove a BMW and not a Lamborghini. Horrible experience. Put me off completely when meeting Stan Lee. Someone told me (definitely went to a comprehensive in Peckham) that they're going on a cruise. Seriously, you can get a yacht for £30 million - they're not that expensive.

Oh man, you just gave me a terrifying vision of the future.

• Like 1

Some people are on here saying that these new packages will only be for the super rich, but that is not what I took from Jason's comment. It sounded to me that it would be something like £50 for a VIP ticket for a guest that gets you a photo and auto. Ok, i made up that figure but it'll probably be a bit more than the cost of both if you bought on the day, which seems right for the guarantee that you'll get them. I can't see it being too expensive and as long as they limit the amount it should still be possible for people to buy tickets the normal way. Personally I think it's a good idea.