Smoking electric cigarettes inside

I don't think smoking e-cigarettes should be allowed in a crowded event like LFCC, simply because I believe it is inconsiderate to smoke them around people who don't.

I don't have a problem with people trying to quit smoking using them if it helps, just do it away from people who don't smoke.

i with you on all of that.

Surprised that there was actually a e-cig company with a stand in the dealers area. Seemed a very odd thing to have...

I have worked the craft show circuit since 2005 and over the years they've had some weird stands which I don't know whether they are actually booked or if they're a "oh we've got a stand space to fill who can we call from something else". I've seen magnetic bracelets, leather goods, £200 polyester rain ponchos, secateurs....

There were two girls going around outside asking people to try out an e-cigarette when I was out the front of EC2 chatting with a mate... She came up and asked if we smoke (I don't), my mate does but he declined the e-cigarette as she'd been offering it to other people and they'd tried it out... and it didn't look like they were even giving it a wipe after! Yuck!

- G

Call me a party pooper, but I think smoking electric cigarettes INSIDE EC2 was disgusting! I saw several different cases. Even if it isn't so smelly than ordinary cigarettes, it's still smoking. Shouldn't smoking inside be forbidden by now?

I use an e-cig and I always leave the venue to use it because I prefer to be outside.

I don't really know what you mean about the smell though because mine has a slight fruity scent, but it's very slight you would need to inhale deeply right in the vapour.

Secondly it's not smoke it's water vapour.

It is not classed as smoking because smoking is defined as burning a substance. This is vaporising.

The reason many people use them is because you can get your nicotine fix without the hundreds of other chemicals and the tar and ash.

Edited by Stevo23

Call me a party pooper, but I think smoking electric cigarettes INSIDE EC2 was disgusting! I saw several different cases. Even if it isn't so smelly than ordinary cigarettes, it's still smoking. Shouldn't smoking inside be forbidden by now?

i think alot of e-cig smokers would have prefered to go outside, my friend certainly does, but the situation became complicated when some smokers were not allowed to get back in the venue, many were told go to the back of the queue and who's going to want to do that.

Surprised that there was actually a e-cig company with a stand in the dealers area. Seemed a very odd thing to have...

I was waiting for someone to mention this as I've just read the thread, I guess if they pay they can do what they like lol

• Like 1

Well I quit smoking several years ago, with chewing gum.

I know how hard it is to quit, and I do get a little bit annoyed about how people give those a hard time that are really trying to quit with e-cigs.

Saying that, of course they shouldn't be puffing it in anyones face, but if they get out of peoples way, then it's fine imo.

• Like 1

Many places of work, and public places like arenas, shopping centres etc have BANNED these things.

At the end of the day, nobody knows for sure about the risks they carry.

Do Earls Court themselves have a policy? Do Showmasters? Are either entity worried about lawsuits down the line if these things are in any way harmful to non-users? All that profit blown in legal pay outs!

I personally think anything blowing out smoke/vapour odourless or not, should be stopped. I go to a convention to get photo-ops and signatures, not to wander through a hazy cloud.

Come on SM, time to deal with this one!!!

• Like 1

I personally think this is more an Earls Court issue than a Showmasters one. Until it is banned or signage put around the building forbidding it (which would be up to Earls Court) I don't think Showmasters could stop anyone doing it.

I am a non smoker and have never even touched an e-cig, and I didn't have a problem with people smoking them there. I think this was the first time I had even been near them, and I didn't notice any particular unpleasant smell over and above the general mass of people smell. E-cigs don't give off any of the toxic chemicals that are produced by burning a real cigarette, the only thing they release in common is nicotine which is in far lower concentrations than from a real cigarette, and the nicotine is not the most dangerous par about second hand smoke anyway.

I think the more unknown factor with these is whatever the chemical is that is used to produce the vapour is (I forget its name). However, this is the same chemical that is used in smoke machines which have been around for years and haven't been banned and cause no ill effect even in a room that is saturated with it to the point where you can't see your hand in front of your face. Particularly in a space as large as a conventional hall I do not think the would ever causing a legitimate health problem. I think more of the problem with e-cigs is that people do not like them from an emotional standpoint as it is still viewed as smoking and people just don't like it.

Regardless, I imagine that the vast majority of people who attended the event inhaled far larger amounts of toxic chemicals on their journey there than from the e-cigs in the hall so it pales into insignificance from a health standpoint.

I personally see no difference at all between a normal cig & an e-cig. They both smell and as a non-smoker I don't want to be inhaling the smoke. A couple people in my office started smoking them inside until they were banished to smoking zone with the other smokers. Public places should be smoke free in ALL its forms.

• Like 1

I personally see no difference at all between a normal cig & an e-cig. They both smell and as a non-smoker I don't want to be inhaling the smoke. A couple people in my office started smoking them inside until they were banished to smoking zone with the other smokers. Public places should be smoke free in ALL its forms.

You see no difference because it looks the same. There are far more toxic fumes being thrown out of the back of bumblebee as they revd the engine.

I understand some people don't like it and that's why I choose to go outside and since there isn't enough data to prove they are not harmful then I will continue to do so.

• Like 2

Not all ecigs have nicotine. They have grades of it to ween you off nicotine. Not that I'm dismissing your claims (I don't smoke either, never have) but to declare they are 100% spreading nicotine is a bit misleading.

Besides the nicotine isn't the deadly thing in cigs, it's the tar etc.

Fantastic i am a non smoker yet over the course of the weekend i must have had about 20 cigarettes. So thank you guys for increasing my chances in getting cancer look forward to my first session of chemotherapy. I did complain but as usual as they were foreign made out they didn't understand me. Could have left my place in the queue yeah like that's gonna happen after getting up at three am Sunday.... People say its hard to quit but it baffles Me why they START in the first place.

• Like 1