Comments

Apart from bad language .. and name calling .. for which individual threads can be edited to remove those words ( which I do agree with ) .. why not just have an open and honest forum leaving all the positive and negative comments from customers ? It is a forum at the end of the day

i agree. or showmaster should at least create a good and bad comments thread and make everyone stick to commenting in that 1 area so they can keep track of what is being said. comments both positive and negative help to improve things for next time. we learn form out mistakes that's what makes us grow. you can go forward without listening to what went wrong. this is an open forum and people should be aloud to post how they felt the day went minus rood and inappropriate language and name calling.

If nothing else, would it be possible to have a (locked if necessary) repost of the original post? As it was done from the Showmasters account, I think it essentially counts as the first official comment on the event, so it would be nice to still be able to see it.

• Like 1

Saturday was just like newcastle film and comic con but on an even bigger scale in terms of queues, demand and issues of people being like sardines. Actually it was worse but there were similarities. I generally had a good time but the atmosphere wasn't as much fun because of everyone being wound up. I really enjoy these events so I hope things are seriously looked at.

They guy running photoshoot A on sunday for stan lee did a great job, full of praise for him. Unfortunately he had to try to be heard over the YALC talk going on and that must have been difficult. So give these guys a megaphone or a mic or something.

The photoshoot layout was wacky. C's queue meshed with autograph queues, and rather than following D, E was the other side of the hall, so it went A,B,C,D,F then E right off into the distance. This confused a lot of people.

Some of the congestion might have been eased a bit if space was better used. The drawing tables, and big cardboard standees for turtles and transformers took up a lot of useable room. I know a lot of people like to draw at cons but maybe those could have gone in brompton hall?

You need to buy rope for queues inside, and hire barriers for outside. And handle the ouside queues more. I almost accidentally queue jumped myself on sunday because I thought I reached the end of the queue till a woman yelled at me (I can't say I blame her but it was an honest mistake).

Signpost everything better. Better visibility and more of it. Not just at the stations themselves but more 'this way to' signs.

Your crew work extremely hard. Give them all the info they need. I felt bad for them this weekend.

Don't promise things we aren't getting; apparently the game of thrones talk's special guest was a pinata (a practical joke on the audience is fine if it is free but not if it's paid) same goes for the comic awards. People understood it to be an evening celebrating comics with guests. It only ran an hour and thank god for Antony Head, he really should be greatly praised for making it entertaining. I kind of feel bad for the people organising, they probably had grander hopes for it too, but for everyone who spent 20 quid on it, we were a little shocked at the brevity of it.

Trailer fest was only 3 looped trailers. Though in all honesty I was glad of the seat.

The programme raffle was a bit off. Maybe in each programme there should have been a detachable number than upon purchase you put that number into the hat. The programme itself was really nicely put together.

I enjoyed the talks, Stan Lee knocked it out of the park. Although at first we almost didnt get in as we were told it was over capacity in the building.

Loved the greenscreen photos. Keep em coming.

Same goes for the old arcade machines. These were super popular (especially the star wars one) so please, please bring them back.

Over all I had a good time but in some cases small revisions on showmasters part could have really helped. So I am hopeful that these will be seriously taken into account.

Ah the comic book awards. I shall never forget them : p

It really reminded me of the Bi-Mon-SCI-FI con from that simpsons episode

• Like 1

Great post David, you are correct that people shouldn't be arguing with each other. It's up to SM to defend themselves not other people who had better days.

All I'll say is that SM has already formally responded once, so I don't think it's fair to be locking threads related to it.

The "facts not fiction or drama" post was insulting. So I think an apology is in order. Something along the lines of "sorry for my previous post, it was written in a hurry with little time to collect all the facts" would do, but there does need to be one.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Moderators

People don't like stuff being deleted, so I've tried to lock with a comment so we don't keep having the same discussions. That's all :)

If something was removed by SM then that's up to them.

• Like 1

Wow! there are so many threads that have been deleted, or are now 'missing'.

I can't help but think that this is the start of some kind of cover-up.

Soon there will be only positive ones left, no need to comment.... :eek:

• Like 2

Theres so many topics saying the same issues over and over which obviously do need to be addressed. But it is sad because any positivity that some fans have had from this weekend is disappearing.

I really enjoyed myself despite the problems and I can't wait for next years

Seeing it from a Mod (on another forum) POV. I think perhaps its more housekeeping. So everyone posts comments in the same threads rather than having to search a million different ones to find all the comments.

I would like to echo many people's sentiments and pass on my utter admiration for the crew - they did a sterling job under tremendous pressure. :thumbup:

Positives:

• 99% of all the guests I met this weekend were amazing, really engaging and happy. Stand out moments were Milo, Edward, Juliet & Carrie - The other 1%... well most people will know...
  • The crew's almost enduring sense of positivity - was quite infectous.
  • Photoshoot results - I'm no photographer so can't really comment on the exposure or what not, but I'm happy with all my photos (Well there are two but it was my own fault for not checking the pics and commenting about my eyes being half closed... I had a reshoot with Milo, guess I need to be more picky - then again I said the same last year...)
  • All the photo oportunities - Sherlock set, Transformers, Dragon skull & Batman cars... plenty to see
  • Green screen stuff - Good to see that coming on, love my emperor's throne one.
  • The Cosplayers - There were some absolutely amazing costumes out there this year. I spent some time in the Jeremy Bulloch costume shoot on Sunday talking to a Mandalorian merc. Big props to everyone who cosplayed in anyway.
  • Chatting to fellow queuers about things and making con-friends - I met some really nice people throught the weekend in the various queues, we shared in each others pain and joys and enjoyed the company of likeminded souls.

Negatives:

• Too many people - there's no way round that. On the Saturday I steered clear of the area south of the autograph section, it really was pandemonium. Simply getting down the side of the autograph section to shoot E was difficult and I dreaded having to go from there to F...
  • Air conditioning - Either it wasn't on, wasn't cranked up enough or just couldn't cope... It was stifling on Saturday and warm on Sunday. From what I've read this isn't the first time but seems to be the worst time. I know it is related the proportion of people in the area, but just looking at the massive vents on either side, they should be able to cope... Maybe having fans around or something else to help would have been useful.
  • Queueing - As others have said there needs to be better demarcation zones... tenser barriers would be great...They could be used to not only keep the queues contained and organised but then used at the sides of autoareas to stop people just plowing through and causing chaos. This is just for the inside as I had no problems outside the venue at all and so cannot comment on that aspect of the event.
  • Signage - though I had spent time before hand planning, better signage at a higher height would have helped to identify areas. Attach poles to the corners of the photo areas with signs on them; for the side shoots then poles with signs that jut out so people can see them too...
  • Photoshoot areas - C & E were my problematic shoots simply because of the chaos that surrounded them. There wasn't anywhere to queue propperly at E (I don't even think there was floor tape there) and at C I either couldn't see the staff to find the priority queue or the queue was jumbled with the auto queues. There wasn't any specific priority queing area except for F I think...
  • Programme - The raffle was in my opinion misshandled and unfairly run. I never had any expectation of winning anything and enjoyed the details and information provided inside, it was well put together and worth the £5 as a memento of the event. But there was an utter lack of information of the whereabouts of the draw results with conflicting information given by those who thought they had the right info. As to the draw itself... Seeing a staff member just simply picking random numbers herself and writting them down is not a fair way of doing it. Especially when it seems she is chosing sonsecutive numbers and numbers that haven't actually been sold and people were going through the unsold ones to find winning numbers... not good.
  • Autograph item limit - My understanding of this from multiple postings here by mods is a 5 item limit for guests who are still under a VQ system. Once they go open then anything goes - I was behind dealers and others who got double digit posters signed by the star wars guests over the weekend and at the times all 3 guests were on the VQ system. Although I did get their autographs the time spent behind these people contributed to me not getting other autos. Better signage of the rules and staff's understanding of that would help.
  • Space - The stalls were congested and I steered clear of them all morning and afternoon Saturday and Sunday, only going shopping either first thing or just before leaving... Either widen the aisles and thus shift 1 row to EC2 or make the flow 1 way only alternating between the rows so there are no jams or head ons this way people who need to get out can pick the right rows...
  • Exits - I would have seperate exits so there won't be any jams at the entrance.
  • Talks - I only went to the freebie talk and although entertaining, it was farsical. As other's have stated the draw for the big prizes resulted in no winner's being called due to what I can only imagine to be the very small selection of numbers in the hat. The other prizes were just left over goodie bags I believe... the sound system wasn't appropriate for the area and they apologised for that - it was very very entertaining though...
  • Lack of communication between halls as to the status of guests - Due to my own overburdening schedule on saturday, the masses of people there and everything else I was unable to get Stan to sign my photoshoot. When I went on Sunday there was no details of when or even if he was coming... Knowing he was unable to make it till 10 on the Saturday and that the meet and greet and awards had happened the night before I figured it would be even later on Sunday so I decided to come back later and get it then ( I should point out that I had a SL Priority standard gold pass.) I returned just before 3 to discover that stan wasn't signing anymore - fair play to the legend, he did as much as he could and I can't fault his tenacicty in wanting to meet everyone. I'm not sure I could have coped with his schedule and I'm 60 years younger. The problem I have is that I now find out that he did infact continue to sign for the select few gold / silver passes who had bought tickets to see his talk as they were unable to get his auto earlier in the day. If this had been communicated to EC2 hall (not widely broadcast but via radio to a pitboss who could then come to the gold room to relay the message,) as I'm sure I wasn't the only gold / silver who missed him and missed his talk... I know it may seem petty but it just doesn't sit right with me...
  • Dave Gibbons - Not sure what happened here... It was advertised that Dave would be doing 2 talks from 2-3 and 3-4 then signing until closing... after the 'freebie talk' I wandered the BH area for 45 minutes meeting other artists and writers but couldn't see Dave... I spoke to the comic organisers team and they said he had already left... If a guest changes their scedule then it needs to be disseminated to the crowds somehow... communication is key.

All in all now I'm home from the weekend I did enjoy it - The Friday and Sunday were fun, the Saturday was very hardwork and I almost jacked it all in... I had planned on spending nearly £xxxxxxxx at the con (the exact figure will remain a mystery as it seems to cause friction) but I came home with a wedge of cash and vouchers which felt strange... I do indeed hope that SM take on board our feedback and don't just try to placate the people who genuinely seem to have had a really bad time at LFCC. When he informed us in Stan's little area about his issues, the team did seem genuinely sorry - So here's to the future and to a more productive con for everyone. I would also like to apologise to anyone I may of offende over the weeknd, the heat and crowds got to me on the Sunday and I may have been a little to stubborn whilst navigating EC2... :blush:

TL,DR = some good, some bad... lots of memories to look back on...

Edited by Zahariel
  • Like 5

Seeing it from a Mod (on another forum) POV. I think perhaps its more housekeeping. So everyone posts comments in the same threads rather than having to search a million different ones to find all the comments.

I'm just concerned that house keeping only seems to happen on negative threads, not positive ones...... :BRUISED::clap:

Edited by farmer

Not the case.. we often house keep on guest suggestion topics and stuff like that too :) plenty gets moved around etc.

I would like to argue that this is not the case on this ocation, but I'm now fearful I'll be dispatched for daring to complain.

So lets agree to disagree.

You have the power to delete threads, and because of your profile you see the event from a different perspective than most attendees.

If it's the one we also have in common I am very biased towards the way that forum is set up for topic threads/posts/history/connecting with fellow members to establish chats etc.

• Like 1

People don't like stuff being deleted, so I've tried to lock with a comment so we don't keep having the same discussions. That's all :)

I understand that you do the best you can and Sm can do what they want but the deleting of post they don't like is very poor and something that annoys me with this forum. It does not show them in a good light at all.

I understand that you do the best you can and Sm can do what they want but the deleting of post they don't like is very poor and something that annoys me with this forum. It does not show them in a good light at all.
I believe DavidB at least is trying to just lock them now.

Shame about the ones that have gone MIA though. There was a ton of valid feedback good and bad on there. I hope they still read them. SM shouldn't censor people.

Edited by Xchasingtailsx
  • Like 1

Wow ! So many posts deleted !

Okay, so we are waiting for a statement from Jason. That's cool.

Things need to be addressed and sorted soon. Remember that there is another event in a couple of months and it's going to take the right reply to recover from this mess.

Saturday was chaos. I have never seen or spoke to so many angry and distressed people.

It was just awful.

LOL...

Seems like all you need to do to get some personal time with a guest is turn on the waterworks... must remember that next time!

https://imgur.com/gallery/4lG9G/new :crying: :crying::crying:

LMAO!..Clever clever lady.....mind you I've heard worse....feigning illness, charging at a guest and kissing them without even asking permission, groping at photo shoots, stalking them round hotels....the list is endless...

She done well...I salute her...;)

OK David, thanks for stepping in, and being the calm voice.

I've posted on a couple of threads about the situation and my experiences on both Friday and Saturday. I'll wait for the official line, but as with all feedback, it's important that it's listened to and responded to, not fobbed off, or erased. The sweary comments I get, but the others, are valid no matter how uncomfortable they make Jason, or the organisation feel.

A basic rule of dealing with feedback from customers, is that if dealt with properly (and that means honestly and quickly), those customers who complained can become your biggest fans and advocates, there is a real opportunity here to do that. If you do you'll end up with a better reputation and stronger fan base than before.

Over to SM I guess......

• Like 5

• Moderators

You have the power to delete threads, and because of your profile you see the event from a different perspective than most attendees.

Correct, however:

1. I haven't deleted any topics. Only locked with a comment.

2. I deliberately made this topic to encourage reasonable and fair dialogue.

3. I've chosen not to reply to most so people can have their say without feeling jumped on.

• Like 1