Dealers getting multiple autos

I think the idea of set times for dealers getting things signed is great, but I think there perhaps should be say, half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the afternoon during which they can get things signed, limited to 5 per dealer, and outside these 30min gaps, there should be signs up saying "no dealers until *time*". The rest of the day's signings (amongst photos, talks etc) given to the fans as per usual.

• Like 1

I recall contributing to that thread and getting a sense of reassurance when I read that Stan Lee would have the 5 item limit in place!

It is a problem that needs to be sorted - at the last Autographica I had to wait around several more hours because a dealer was getting 30+ autos from Barbara Bain and then she was going to lunch. I also agree that the guests see it for what it is and this can detrimentally affect their mood

I don't argue with the fact that dealers get signed items and then flog them on at an increased value, but I agree they should also keep within the same item limits as the general public.

Yes, Diabolik, the problem needs to be sorted out. Let's hope SM give some official directions here. Autographica is the only con I attend at the moment and I wouldn't want it to get "intoxicated" by the same problems there are at LFCC. Actually, I would like a "detoxification" therapy for London too, because I really would like to go back.

I've been behind dealers whilst they're getting multiple items singed, usual sports guests so football tops ect and once spotted am waiting, or the crew or even guest them,selves mention it the dealer has either moved away to allow me in or got x number more done finish then leave Though being sports guests this can happen unlike Carrie Fisher, Stan Lee ect

• Showmasters Admin

Some points i would liked respond to

1. The 5 item rule is there for when a guest we feel will not get to see everyone .

2. The 5 item rule can be over ridden by the guest or management. Something to be aware of.

3. A trader, or dealer, getting 5 items signed will take less than two members of the public getting what they want, as they do this all the time and are fast and care less about the moment.

4. We allow traders as some of the bigger guests need the sales over the weekend so that their costs and the money the guest needs to earn is covered. It's the traders that do bring in some of the numbers of sales we need to get some of the bigger guests to the event.

5. One other thing to remember if a trader is buying lots then it must be a great price we are managing to provide for all the fans as they do not buy anything they cannot make money on and most try to double their money.

6. Our crew are just like you fans and when they are not working they go into the lines just like you but they have less time to do it so they get this one privilege of being able to get into the back of the line if they need to .

7. We provide pre-order services to the people that cannot attend the show. These sales help cover guests costs in the same way as the traders do and are an important aspect to the show and thats what some of the crew are doing getting autographs in the lines.

8. We also have agreements in place where we have to get some things signed for a production company or a film company, and this sometimes also has to go through the line also.

We do as much as we can for all fans as we are fans ourselves. We also know the guests have to do well and the events and there are needs to keep up sales of autographs to cover what a guest need to earn so its a balance. This year I do not think there were many more traders going in and it was more that there was so many more fans at this years event wanting autographs.

We keep an eye on the traders going through at every show and we do try to make it fair for everyone to have a good chance to get what they want. Many 10's of thousands of fans managed to get what they wanted from most of the guests.

Edited by 1of2

So everything's fine then?

I'm don't mean to speak for anyone else but I certainly don't mind pre-orders getting fulfilled, crew members having the perk of joining a queue (especially seeing as they are volunteers!), gold people joining when they like etc., and I have nothing against dealers trying to earn a living.

I'm sorry but what I do have a problem with is when the likes of Carrie Fisher seem to come and go as they please throughout the day and there is not enough time for everyone and those dealers with 40 odd items do mean other fans miss out. U imagine the situation was much worse with Stan Lee.

Neither the guest or Showmasters would be losing money by capping autographs dealers (or anyone) can get with guests like these, the same money would just come from more different people who wanted to see them. Just because many people got everything they came for (myself included) I will still say that the system could be improved so that more people get to see their idols.

Edited by 1of2

Is there no way a pre order system can be put in place for dealers? They don't seem to bothered about meeting the guest (if they are they can join the queue with their 5 items) so it takes them out of the queue

It is disheartening when you are queueing and you see people in front of you with well over 5 items.

I know the system worked in the preview signing for Stan Lee on the Friday because a private dealer (no stall) was saying that he had only been allowed a few items to be signed and so was queueing up again.

• Like 3

Thank you for your honest answer, Showmasters. This clarifies a few things.

I agree with most of the points you made and I understand the reasons behind them. The key point is number 4: "We allow traders" - now we know it.

Although I appreciate that some dealers try to get what they need as soon as possible, they sometimes spend a lot of time (unfolding/refolding posters many times, etc.) Indeed, it would be useful to encourage the dealers to contact you beforehand and pre-order their signatures.

As far as I am concerned, crew members are more then welcome to skip the queue and get their auto, no problem with that. But, please, instruct them to deal with fans who attempt odd, time-consuming requests, such as asking the guest to copy long quotations from a mobile phone or asking him to talk via skype with their family in New Zealand.

If the star can only autograph a number of items during a day, and all that time is spent meeting the 'public'.

I can't honestly see how dealers (buying 5 autographs as quoted), are so important to make or break any deal.

I also would assume that these dealers weren't paying the same prices at the public either. If I was buying in bulk, I'd want to negotiate a deal.

So when a guest is high profile, and guaranteed to sign all day. Why are we giving them preferential treatment?.

I think that we've been told only half of the 'facts'.

Edited by farmer

I don't mind dealers from getting their signatures if the guests actually want to cooperate with that. (Personally, as a guest, I'd be appalled by dealers who just want to make a buck out of me, that's not why I'd go to a con, I'd go for a good time with the fans, along with making a decent buck, but hey, that's just me and unfortunatly for the world, I'm not famous :crying: ).

Wouldn't it be an idea to have some pre- or post signing sessions for dealers before or after the con? This way the dealer gets their signatures, they get them fast and the guest gets that nasty bit of work out of the way fast too, they don't cause resentment among the real fans for giving the feeling they are stealing time from the real fans and SM and the guest get the money they want/need from this source of revenue?

• Like 1

I can't honestly see how dealers (buying 5 autographs as quoted), are so important to make or break any deal.

As Jason says

3. A trader, or dealer, getting 5 items signed will take less than two members of the public getting what they want, as they do this all the time and are fast and care less about the moment.

It's quicker for one person to get 20 things signed, than for twenty to get 1 each. Every autograph can count when it comes to making back the guest's fee.

If one person in front of you puts down 20 items and isn't interested in small talk with the guest, it can be a good chance for you to steal a few words.

Edited by TerraHawk

As i said i have no idea what kind of room it was but i saw alot of people with lanyards with passes of some sort going into them carrying loads of posters and then returning empty. There where one or two in blue showmasters shirt but the absolute majority was in normal clothes so to speak. The door was right beside where kenny baker and David prowse where sitting.

Dealers had wristbands, so if the people you saw were in lanyards, they were more likely crew, staff or VIPs. There was definitely no side room/store room for dealers.

As Jason says

It's quicker for one person to get 20 things signed, than for twenty to get 1 each. Every autograph can count when it comes to making back the guest's fee.

If one person in front of you puts down 20 items and isn't interested in small talk with the guest, it can be a good chance for you to steal a few words.

So they sell 3 extra autographs, at a lower cost.

I very much doubt that the margins are that tight, to be commercially viable.

I'd perfer them just to be clear and say its all about making more profit. (as with everything else seemingly in LFCC)

For most 'big guests', the general public on the whole don't get a handshake, or anything other than 'hello'.

It's over in a few seconds.

A dealer to move through multiple prints would warrant interaction, and some care taken so not to damage any of the prints.

I bet that it actually takes longer than two regular people.

A dealer to move through multiple prints would warrant interaction, and some care taken so not to damage any of the prints.

I bet that it actually takes longer than two regular people.

Maybe we should time it, one day. :geek:

However, it also depends on the guest. As an extreme example, I remember a dealer, right in front of me, got some 25 autos from Karen Gillan; fortunately, they were normal pictures at the table that Karen signed very quickly (45 seconds or so). When it was my turn I made a joke about her being so quick and we had a laugh together and chatted while she was signing my (only) picture, more slowly; she also chatted with my son. In the end, I think I spent more time than the dealer. But obviously that was a one-off situation. Older guests take usually more time to sign.

Edited by Bergman

So they sell 3 extra autographs, at a lower cost.

Has that been proven?

If said dealer wants 20 of the same photo, not a lot of instruction required. And as I say, if guest is signing 20 identical photos without exchanging a word, nothing to stop you asking what they thought of the role, working with so and so or how they've found the visit to the UK. You might not get a reply, but you've not lost anything. They might appreciate being treated as more than just a signing machine. It's actually your best, and perhaps longest chance to get a few words in. I'd rather be directly behind a dealer that right in front of one, or ten behind.

I also would assume that these dealers weren't paying the same prices at the public either. If I was buying in bulk, I'd want to negotiate a deal.

Your deal is that if you want more than 5 things signed, you can get them all signed at once, reducuing your time spent doing this rather than having to queue up endlessly at 5 items per time.

If 3 dealers between them get say 50 items signed, they've probably done that in the same time that say 10 ordinary folk will have got maybe 20 items signed. So those dealers have effectively bought an extra 30 autographs in their time, which is significant in paying for the guest.

So when a guest is high profile, and guaranteed to sign all day. Why are we giving them preferential treatment?.

(1) in terms of "income per minute of guest time" the dealers contribute more. (2) I think you'll find a dealer's ticket costs a little bit more than early bird admission...

Edited by TommyT

• Showmasters Admin

I don't mind dealers from getting their signatures if the guests actually want to cooperate with that. (Personally, as a guest, I'd be appalled by dealers who just want to make a buck out of me, that's not why I'd go to a con, I'd go for a good time with the fans, along with making a decent buck, but hey, that's just me and unfortunatly for the world, I'm not famous :crying: ).

Wouldn't it be an idea to have some pre- or post signing sessions for dealers before or after the con? This way the dealer gets their signatures, they get them fast and the guest gets that nasty bit of work out of the way fast too, they don't cause resentment among the real fans for giving the feeling they are stealing time from the real fans and SM and the guest get the money they want/need from this source of revenue?

The guests get paid for each autograph sold so why would they be appalled by traders buying autographs from them ? It's better then hitting them up at the back door or a theatre for free ? i know thats who some of them look at this .

As to doing a private signing it would cost more money to book a guest to do a private signing and if a guest starts to prefer doing this in a room with say 20 traders they may find it easier than attending a show so its not something I would encourage ?

At the end of the day we are not talking 100s of dealers here , we are talking around 20 and sometimes only 5 so its not really an issue and many 10s of 1000s of fans get their autographs. They are needing busy guests normally who are busy with fans, not traders, so I think we need to keep this in perspective.

We are here to provide fans the chance to meet and get autographs from the guest. We also appreciate traders also buying autographs as they sometimes help cover our losses. You will never know how much we have lost on some of the A list guests at the end of the day. We do not always cover the expenses. Traders sometimes help get us close so we can keep doing this and risk bigger and bigger guests .

Everyone has a place in the show and traders are needed just so you all know, it's not that simple.

One last thing what is a trader? Someone that has a shop or someone that buys two and puts one on ebay after the show or sells one to a friend to help cover the costs of their autograph or trip ? Many traders are collectors trying to help cover the cost of their collection.

Again something to think about ?

Jason

Edited by 1of2

Most dealers won't bother with the majority of guests so won't be in anyones way.Most conventions they won't bother getting anyone at all. Stan lee got their attention because of who he is, his rarity and the fact he was billed as doing his last ever appearance. None of the dealers got a special price on the autograph. I guess at most conventions they would be hardly noticed or bothered with by the public but the fact that so many people missed out on Stan proberbly caused some friction seeing people with wristbands or passes head to the front of the queue.

A dealer friend of mine didn't even make his table money at the convention especially after expenses (trade was slow despite the crowds)so the only thing that kept him ahead was the 6 Stan lee's he sold to order.personally i think for the big guests it should be one per person but i can see the other side of it.

How much signed stuff from the weekend is on eBay today?

LOL, i thought the same.

I would NEVER sell my autos I got from the past weekend. The maximum i let sign was 4 (3 different DVD Covers + 1 photo) of a guest: Glen Morshower: 2 x "Dallas" DVD Covers (Dallas Cover Season 2 from the original show, and the Dallas Cover Season two of the new one), + 1 x "X-Men: The First Class" Cover. And nobody was behind me.

Also David Wenham signed 4: 1 Blu-Ray Cover LOTR, 1 DVD Booklet LOTR, 1 Blu-Ray Booklet LOTR, + 1 Pic. - nobody was behind me.

Dealers pay the same price for their autographs as everyone else. It is then up to them what they do with these autographs. they can ask whatever price they want (whether folk are prepared to pay their asking price is another matter!). For some folk, ordering through a dealer and paying their markup is cheaper than traveling to the show itself (travel cost, accomodation, entry fee, food - it all adds up).

I don't really see the issue here. They pay the same fee as us and the guest benefits from their fee. If I were a guest and someone handed me 30 things to sign then I would happily do it.

Without dealers, I wouldn't be able to get half of the autographs I want. I don't have time to hang around at stage doors or stand in the freezing cold rain at a premiere all day. More than happy for these guys to do the leg work for me for a small premium.

I do agree that traders should be limited to the number of items they get signed, IF everyone is limited. If a guest is quieter, then I don't care if someone gets 25 items, whether a dealer or a paying attendee.

That said, dealers could just join the queue multiple times, so in some ways, its better to get them sorted in one quick hit.

Just to note, I had a stall at LFCC and I was away from it for about a total of 2 hours across 2 1/2 days. Dealers really don't get much time away from their stock, which to a lot of them is their livelihood (thankfully not mine, or I'd be bankrupt!)

If a dealer has many multiples of items to be signed though and you have a situation like on Sunday where Stan Lee's time to sign was limited, potentially a good deal of fans miss out on meeting the guest/getting an autograph.

Ok, a dealer may be processed more quickly than an average Joe, but in the time the guest takes to sign the 30+ items for a dealer, how many regular punters could have been seen and potentially miss out on the experience? This is surely the more important point, isn't it?

• Like 4