TrailerFest

Can I ask what happened the advertised 'TrailerFest' ? So disappointing.

This was the thing I was most looking forward to in the event when advertised so booked my tickets for the Sunday (as originally advertised) and was happy.

Joke Number 1 - Last week when the schedule was published the Trailers were moved to the Saturday. Train ticket from Scotland wasted

Joke Number 2 - decided at the cost of an extra £100 for train fare and £80 for accommodation to make it down for the Saturday and catch the TrailerFest. Made it to it yesterday and it was such a letdown. ONLY 3 TRAILERS PLAYED ON LOOP?

Joke Number 3 - The three trailers had already been released on YouTube ages ago.

Everyone there was livid. Felt sorry for the staff. I appreciate it was a 'free event' but still think it's wrong to advertise it as something it's not and for something so poor. It was the reason I had gone down and feel so disappointed.

I didn't see the post about what the Trailerfest was, can someone post a link or copy/paste the info. Did SM really say these were previews/premieres of exclusive trailers that hadn't been seen anywhere else?? To my knowledge only the Super Bowl does that and the trailer premieres on YouTube.

I've seen trailers shown at previous SM cons and yes, they've always been trailers that have already been doing the rounds online. AFAIK they've never been granted exclusivity so I'm curious as to why people here thought they would be exclusives?

There were standees for the new Planet of the Apes, Transformers and Ninja Turtles films. My guess is that the PR/marketing teams for those films' had a deal with SM to show the trailers too.

Here it is: http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84605

And only a month before the event as well. I mean it's ridiculous.... secret trailers.... just another con to attract people.

To be fair it does say, there may be...

Its more of an issue of HYPE which I notce happens a lot on here.

Whether it be a feature of a guest announcement tease, its HYPE.

SM didn't promise anything in that thread. They just said there may be some secret trailers. They then go on to say they have been dealing with some film companies so its really down to them. But I guess SM should have highlighted that this was a "maybe" situatiuon.

No offence to the OP but I don't understand why a trailer fest would be the main reason to attend a show like this?

Even if there had been several more or exclusive, is the time and money worth seeing them before they make the rounds in cinemas or on YouTube.

Seriously, not a dig, and disappointing that a trailer fest was 3 trailers but I don't get how this was a big draw for anyone.

• Like 1

No offence to the OP but I don't understand why a trailer fest would be the main reason to attend a show like this?

Even if there had been several more or exclusive, is the time and money worth seeing them before they make the rounds in cinemas or on YouTube.

Seriously, not a dig, and disappointing that a trailer fest was 3 trailers but I don't get how this was a big draw for anyone.

It could be lots of reasons-an interest in film, a desire to see trailers on a screen bigger than a laptop/phone...also there was a hint at exclusive, never before seen trailers which excited film fans. Not everyone comes to the show for autographs :)

It could be lots of reasons-an interest in film, a desire to see trailers on a screen bigger than a laptop/phone...also there was a hint at exclusive, never before seen trailers which excited film fans. Not everyone comes to the show for autographs :)

I understand that, being an enormous film fan myself and appreciate a good trailer is an art form in and of itself.

I just don't get spending all that additional money to see them on a bigger screen. I'd rather see any trailer at the cinema where it's not as hot, cramped, and loud as at LFCC, plus you can screen YouTube on your massive TVs these days.

I get being passionate: after seeing the comments on here about Saturday's pandemonium I booked a last minute hotel and travelled down Sat night rather than coming Sunday morning. I spent another 100 quid because the likes of Carrie Fisher, Ian McDiarmid, Michael Madsen etc might not ever appear again and I was not going to miss them. A trailer on the other hand will always make it's way into the public domain to be viewed anytime, anyway you want - there's nothing truly exclusive about it.

Anyway, the OP still has my sympathies.

Perhaps I'm passionate about trailers and upcoming films? I'm not into getting autographs but I wouldn't come on and say "why are you spending all that time and money for a squiggle on a piece of paper"

Lots of people attend conventions for all sorts of reasons - this was my main one

Edited by Gordon The Gopher