Volunteers

Nightcrawler - I'm glad you knew where Madsen was, so by all means come and be part of the crew. Then just maybe you might understand that we don't have time to wander the building finding out where everything is, and that referring to maps when you're trying to deal with organizing people in photoshoot queues while simultaneously trying to answer questions from others about a photoshoot that's happening over an hour later isn't possible. The only places I knew on Saturday were the talk area near the entrance, photoshoot A, B and C (but only because I'm tall) and the stage that was between A and B. I did not leave photoshoot A at all from getting there early in the morning until the last Stan Lee shot was taken at around 6pm, not even to go to the toilet. And no, I'm not looking for sympathy, some pithy sort of response or a well done. We're volunteers, we know what we sign up for, and we're human beings, not Superman or some sort of genius. Sometimes I think people forget that.

• Like 2

I printed out the maps & the schedules & all the info I could which was on here and the main website

It wasn't clear where the raffle prizes were being given out or winning numbers announced - I asked pretty much everywhere including the main Organisers Booth - not one single person knew the answer

Remember a lot of people don't access the forum and a lot of people can't or don't print things out

At the end of the day it is the responsibility of the organiser and the crew to help all customers at the event - not the customers to fend for themselves

I didn't meet Madsen ( actually not a fan myself ) by at least I knew where he was lol maybe I need to become a crew member ;-)

I know people don't always have internet access thats why we have an information desk, all the details are placed on huge wall posters around the desk and also the photo timetables are up at each photo area. I managed to find the showmaster merch and programme at the silent auction kiosk as I asked at the information desk by the entrance. Can't say why they gave you the runaround and then gave me clear directions on how to get there. Don't know why the system worked for me and not you. All I can say is sorry. Please do crew next time.

lets face it the event is now just too big for volunteers to be mostly running it .It needs more professionally trained staff.If showmasters can't afford it then they have to bite the bullet and scale down the size of the event. Some of the volunteers even with the best intentions in the world are just hopelessly out of the depth. I gave up on most of them on saturday because they just didn't have the knowledge or the know how.Not their fault if they haven't recieved more than a few hours instruction on the previous night on what to do.

Taking your slightly insulting comment about hiring 'professionally trained staff' (the crew may not be professionals but they are trained and not in the way you have stated). If that were to happen it is quite likely that the additional costs would result in an extreme increase in the costs of entry/auto/photo/talk prices. Far more than the average attendee would be prepared to pay. Especially considering people complain about the current pricing.

• Like 2

As always the Crew do an excellent job and I wouldn't be sure that paying people to come in would improve this, in fact I would be tempted to say it would actually make the atmosphere worse.

All of the people who crew are fans just like us, they are excited to be crewing and contributing to such a great event.

In may ways similar to the Gamesmakers approach at the Olympics.

Bringing in a group of low paid security people who have no interest in the event or appreciation for the issues would be in my view the wrong move to make.

There were a lot of Earls Court security staff around over the weekend and a lot of them looked pretty disinterested to me and I got a much better level of input and information from the volunteer crew.

Banished - at the end of the day you must agree that the Ticket Sales Office or the main / only Organisers Booth should know the answer to a question like " where are the raffle prizes being announced and handed out " as nobody on fri or all day sat knew .. not one single crew member , which is crazy

Yes I can well imagine you were busy but hey you signed up for it - sorry but that's just how it is - I don't blame you or any individual crew member for not knowing things , if you have a role and only need to know about that role fair enough as you would or should just tell customers that fact and explain they should visit the Organisers Booth ... that booth should be the hub of all answers , it's for SM to better organise that ... and hey if you don't know or that organisers booth don't know how do expect customers to ?

In other threads I have said about certain crew being helpful etc - I have good and bad about the whole weekend overall and am trying to post in the relevant threads about it where I can

There were a lot of Earls Court security staff around over the weekend and a lot of them looked pretty disinterested to me and I got a much better level of input and information from the volunteer crew.

To be honest in my mind the venue staff are there to ensure the venue is being managed properly and prevent visitors from harm, e.g. "get out the road" means "get out the road so the vehicles coming through don't run you over and we get sued". The crew and SM management are there to manage the actual workings of the show.

Like so many others I've noted my good and not so good experiences on Saturday elsewhere. However I've only just seen this thread and wanted to say that I was very impressed with all the crew members I had contact with. Thank you for helping!!:)

lets face it the event is now just too big for volunteers to be mostly running it .It needs more professionally trained staff.If showmasters can't afford it then they have to bite the bullet and scale down the size of the event. Some of the volunteers even with the best intentions in the world are just hopelessly out of the depth. I gave up on most of them on saturday because they just didn't have the knowledge or the know how.Not their fault if they haven't recieved more than a few hours instruction on the previous night on what to do.

I've been to big music festival 99% staffed by volunteers before and they seem to do ok. I don't think its the case of needing professionals, more about increasing the volunteer staff and improving the communication via radio etc. (I'm imagining a secret bunker with a map and someone pushing models of people and stalls across it relaying instructions with military precision.)

I've crewed at a different types of events before and I sympathise with the volunteers. I know how easy it is to find yourself out of your depth due to a domino effect.

I assume that because of the size of this year's event there were a lot of new crew members, certainly there were some that seemed a little overwhelmed. All in all, I felt they all did a fantastic job in a difficult situation.

I don't quite get how a big paid for event of this nature seems to be run by volunteers? Even the one photographer I talked to was a volunteer and not a professional photographer as I think is advertised?

Not saying that in general they don't do an excellent job, just wondering why they aren't paid a proper wage for an honest days work?

probably because the cost of employing several hundreds of staff to man the event on even a minimum wage would be extortionate and they'd have to raise prices. This way the crew are all fans like everyone else and therefore are more likely to be able to help you rather than some random paid person who may not even care about the show, the guests or understand what it's like for the attendees.

• Like 1

The following comment is not aimed any/all of the volunteers.

I have run and managed a stand of volunteers at various shows up and down the country. IIRC the last set of figures for the four days was 45,000 - 50,000 over hours similar to LFCC. Now admittedly it was only the one stand but I ensured that every single volunteer was fully briefed on what was expected of them as well as the general health and safety, i.e. fire escapes. Now I did hear crew members talking with one explaining to the other something that she had made a mistake on which is in the crew member handbook that each individual crew member has to sign to confirm that they've read. Perhaps having a few on hand for when the crew arrives to refresh themselves with as well as pit bosses bringing them up to speed on anything else may help?

probably because the cost of employing several hundreds of staff to man the event on even a minimum wage would be extortionate and they'd have to raise prices. This way the crew are all fans like everyone else and therefore are more likely to be able to help you rather than some random paid person who may not even care about the show, the guests or understand what it's like for the attendees.

haha you say this but the girl on Friday morning in the Stan Lee area controlling the queue told me and my friends she didn't know who Stan Lee was until earlier that day but he seemed kinda cool .... don't get me wrong she was lovely, chatty, friendly, kept control of the queue but unfortunately your idea of volunteers being better maybe isn't always the case as she didn't know the main guest

I am totally happy with volunteers and would rather a fan of the event be there but at the end of the day SM need to ensure all volunteers have the info especially the Organisers Desk who should have every answer - they don't and that comes down to SM training ? not the individuals ... that's what I think is important - I would never have a go at an individual as they can only do what they have been told by the company they represent

haha you say this but the girl on Friday morning in the Stan Lee area controlling the queue told me and my friends she didn't know who Stan Lee was until earlier that day but he seemed kinda cool .... don't get me wrong she was lovely, chatty, friendly, kept control of the queue but unfortunately your idea of volunteers being better maybe isn't always the case as she didn't know the main guest

I am totally happy with volunteers and would rather a fan of the event be there but at the end of the day SM need to ensure all volunteers have the info especially the Organisers Desk who should have every answer - they don't and that comes down to SM training ? not the individuals ... that's what I think is important - I would never have a go at an individual as they can only do what they have been told by the company they represent

Perhaps you should read the info on the crew page to see what is actually expected of people considering volunteering. It does say in essence that you could be placed anywhere and be expected to do "anything" and not to get your expectations up of being married up to a name for the event. Personally if I had volunteered and got placed with one of the wrestlers that were there then it would have been the same position as this other volunteer you've mentioned. I hate sport with a vengeance and have absolutely no interest in it. The only American wrestling I ever got involved in was watching the WWF cartoon series that was on Sky c. 1986/87.

ETA: I am not a crew member nor affiliated with any or with SM staff..

Edited by Knitty Fred
  • Like 1

bandwagon much

I don't need to read a crew page as I am not crew, I am commenting about my experience as a paying customer in reply to the comments here " This way the crew are all fans like everyone else and therefore are more likely to be able to help you " being not exactly the case

and your reply goes to show my reply to be accurate as of crew can be placed anywhere , even with a guest they have no knowledge of such as you with a wrestler ...... need I say more

The pit boss for Stan Lee on Sunday was sh..shocking. Seemed completely spaced out and couldn't be bothered. One poor young fella went up to him at about 11.30 to ask if Stan had arrived/was signing and was simply told "yes" and the pit boss just stared at him. I jumped in to elaborate and asked him what VQ number he had, to be told it was in the high 200s, so I told him not to waste his time and he appreciated this.

I can't believe that for such an important guest, such a poor pit boss was in charge. I really felt for the blue shirts on that job, especially the tall guy with the ginger beard who was doing a good job under the circumstances and losing his voice in the process!

We told you (Person who was leading the Edward James Olmos crew on Saturday!) you rock (and we appreciate you!) :clap: The efford you put into getting as many people as possible a siggie after his final photoshoot was phenomenal so THANK YOU!

Just wanted to say a Big Thank you to the Blue/Red shirts who helped me get through my clashes on all three days, and for the old timers who knew me from previous shows and recognised me and said, "Hello" and would chat to me. It was a overwhelming event but those of you as mentioned above were a credit to the show.. You never showed any panic and kept it professional Well done to you.. I hope all the new staff that were employed on the day take note of how Professional you guys are..

I was allowed into the Stan Lee shoot to wait for my son, but was told in no uncertain terms if I even touched my camera or phone, I would be told to leave...

I turn around as my son is going through the queue, people are poking their heads round the exit barrier to get a glimpse of Stan, & a guy is snapping away on his iPhone RIGHT BEHIND ME!!!

I have supported SM events for quite a few years now, but at least be consistent with the rules please!!! Also, please educate the crew properly on how VT's work, some just shrugged or hadn't a clue!!!

• Like 1

Hi guys - I'm Rachel, it was me doing Stan Lee's queue on Friday afternoon.

I stay off the forum after events because frankly I'm too exhausted not to take all the negativity personally so I'm sorry I haven't read the whole thread. But my friend told me this post was here and if I can just clarify one thing before it escalates - I did know who Stan Lee was. I didn't know of him before he was announced for the event, because I don't watch many films or read any comic books, but the entire crew has been mocking me about this for months because they were all desperately excited to meet him. We've been building up to this event all year, I am aware of his general career trajectory!

I think I only mentioned it to one or two people who asked me specific questions about his work, because I had to fess up that I wasn't familiar with it. We're not all into everything - I spent Sunday working at the YALC and could've told you anything you wanted to know about any of the writers there. I am a massive geek, I attended for years before I started crewing so I know exactly what it's like to come into an event like this as an attendee. We all do this because we love it, I can completely 100% assure you of that.

Thank you ever so much for the kind words though, it really does make the tiredness and sore throat worth it. I get my kicks from helping people have the best possible experience at our events and it is deeply lovely to be remembered positively, when I was essentially background noise at the beginning of what I'm sure was a very busy weekend for you all!

And now I'm off if that's okay...

• Like 2

The girl doing the Stan Lee preview signing Friday morning is probably the most enthusiastic crew member I've ever met. Think her name was Rachael.

Agreed Murph she was friendly and in control - a nice girl

I did find it funny though she told me and my friends while in the queue she had no idea who Stan Lee was as hadn't heard of him before but she said he seems kinda cool

Thank you very much to you two as well, reading things like this really does make it all feel worthwhile! :smile:

The girl doing the Stan Lee preview signing Friday morning is probably the most enthusiastic crew member I've ever met. Think her name was Rachael.

Agreed Murph she was friendly and in control - a nice girl

I did find it funny though she told me and my friends while in the queue she had no idea who Stan Lee was as hadn't heard of him before but she said he seems kinda cool

Thank you very much to you two as well, reading things like this really does make it all feel worthwhile! :smile:

Hey ! yeah don't get me wrong I only found it funny you didn't know Stan but only in a " but that's Stan Lee " way so you could say the same for me about an author as I only really read books with pictures lol but deffo you were so polite and friendly and chatty you made our group very welcome when in the queue inside that Friday morning and you certainly had crowd control under your belt ! We all agreed on this ...

You were one of two crew members I could say were very good over the weekend so thanks :-)

( I do have a gripe generally about how little everyone I asked about the raffle / prizes but for that I blame SM in that they didn't train staff enough so you can ignore that if you see it , the main Organisers Desk should have known everything I feel )

If there was a crew school you'd definitely be top of the class.