Ian McDiarmid - Sunday

What a nice guy!

I had queued since 8:15 to get his autograph (the only thing I had today) and made it out at about 2:15.

I know he had a talk to do and a photoshoot, along with lunch and I had number 201 in VQ tickets so knew I wasn't going to have an overly short day.

Have to say its a tie between Ian and Summer for guest of the weekend for me! He had a lengthy queue and he had time to shake my hand twice, ask if I wanted him to write 'Emperor' on his sig and had a joke about Dave Prowse signing where Ian's Emperor quote was on my metal poster. Had a chat about his upcoming West End show too.

What a nice guy!

Hope everyone else who got the chance to meet him had such a good experience!

He was Awesome! I had a photo and got him to sign a poster for me. He commented both times about how great he thought my t-shirt was (although so did quite a few other guests and attendees!). For anyone who saw me today I was the guy in the 'Ewoking Dead' T shirt.

Ian is one of the most lovely people you could ever meet...I've met him twice after plays he has been in and always seems gobsmacked anyone is remotely interested in saying "hello" and if you haven't seen him (and can get a ticket) do see him in his current play Bakersfield Mist...it's amazing seeing the odd Emperor like tick come through in his performance...though it's deffo NOT the Emperor on stage in most of his performance! Do see, he is quite funny arguing with Kathleen Turner!

• Like 1

I remember he was signing pretty slowly; I had almost reached the front after about 45 minutes-odd when he stopped for a break. I had to dash off to a photoshoot starting in the next five minutes, but fortunately was permitted to come back to my previous position. The pit boss was just leading me back around the corner to where his desk was when he returned from his break - no-one had moved, so I ended up in the exact position as when I left! He was polite, had an impressively firm handshake and I was lucky enough to get a personalization, so was very happy with the encounter.

Having been a fan of his work for over 30 years I was so excited to meet him for the first time. You never know upfront what your favorite actors are like in real life, but he exceeded all my expectations! He took his time to personalize my photos, have a quick chat and ended with a friendly handshake! A perfect gentleman!!

LFCC051_zpsbd3dd964.jpgLFCC050_zps44e176e6.jpgLFCC052_zpscda07fc4.jpg

• Like 3

When in his queue he was signing very slowly which I thought was down to age:(

However when I got closer and saw his arguably autograph it all became clear....

...to anyone who knows what an 'Ian McDiarmid autopgraph' looks like, whilst he always joins up, he is always nicely legible, but with his autos at the show it was clear to me that the autos I have seen previously of his were all rushed affairs. At LFCC he took great time and effort to sign slowly and super legible, with every single letter separate and visible.

Knowing all this made me very impressed with him. It is the kind of effort 99% of fans would not even realise he gave them. As I did, you'd just think he was a slow signer. But I've never seen as perfect an Ian McDiarmid signature as the ones I saw yesterday.

Credit to the man. He was very polite and pleasant too, words for everyone and handshakes all round.

• Like 3

sorry mate, no disrespect to you but i pissed myself laughing at everyone who paid £70 for Ian's autograph as there was a vender selling it for £30 and it was framed to boot !

You could probably buy that on eBay without bothering to come to the event.

Part of the attraction is getting to meet the guest...however brief that meeting may be. You can't get that from an autograph; even if it's framed.

• Like 6

sorry mate, no disrespect to you but i pissed myself laughing at everyone who paid £70 for Ian's autograph as there was a vender selling it for £30 and it was framed to boot !

You could probably buy that on eBay without bothering to come to the event.

Part of the attraction is getting to meet the guest...however brief that meeting may be. You can't get that from an autograph; even if it's framed.

after the way this event was run, i wish i had bought it on ebay, would have saved 3 hours of my life in a queue for a gold pass on friday

• Moderators

Hardly see what's funny about people paying - if they want to meet him and make sure 100% they're getting a legit autograph on whatever they choose, then that's up to them. Far better for most than buying off eBay etc.

• Like 11

It's possible that you may have missed the point of a signing event, PhantomMajor.

or it could be more likely yellowmarlin that you missed my point that there was an option for people to not stand in line for two hours, save money and still have his autograph.

hope you had a nice time btw

If I'm getting an autograph from someone, the actual autograph is secondary to me, I'm paying to "meet" the guest as far as I'm concerned, even if I only exchange a couple of words. I never do anything with my autographs afterwards, they're just a means to an end.

• Like 1

Ian was fantastic when we met him at 5.30 on Sunday... I had thought we would miss him, but luckily they did first come first served after his last photo shoot.

I wanted to get him to sign something in particular so didn't mind the cost.

I had heard he was a bit of a misery, but he was still smiling and happy to chat and sign even at that time.

image.jpg image.jpg

• Like 3

I understand the whole "no personalisations so we can get more people through", but that does kinda suck.
Had his and Dave Prowse's autos on the same page, and by comparison, Ian's looks inferior simply because of the lack of personalisation and at the same time, emotion put into it.

sv1mc3.jpg

Carrie Fisher's on the other hand was great! She was just as busy and yet she still carried on! Also, even late in the day she still seemed charming =]

svqp3d.jpg

"For the other Luke"