Stan Lee - Signing no more...

you know the age and health concerns of someone who is 91 years old and you ignored them to make money. you knew he would a large draw for numerous people, so why didnt you take the option of making of making the friday an all day event.

I'm not sure that adding even more to his workload on the Friday would have helped on the Sunday, it might even have risked Saturday.

Or if he hadn't done the extra sessions on Friday, perhaps he would have been alright for Sunday.

So why did they not put the stickers on things at the Friday signing? Jeez...

On a picture fine, but I wouldn't have wanted a hologram sticker put on my comic he signed, it's 46 years old and who knows how it would have reacted or potentially damaged the comic.

For an extra £5 I may have gotten the authentication sticker, but as I was at the early Friday signing they weren't available (why?).

Even though I know it's the real deal, does not having the sticker effectively make it worthless? I'm not looking to sell it, but still.

I had a Friday photo-shoot ticket with Stan and got turned away because there were too many people apparently so I had to go back on Saturday which then impacted on my other photo-shoots. George A. Romero who I was supposed to have one with at half six, was late so I had to go to his, then Helen Slater, then to Stan's and that's when I was turned away, I have to be honest, that annoyed me since I'd purchased my tickets carefully spanning the three days so I could attend the shoots in the order I'd bought them. I understand changes are sometimes unavoidable, but it was a headache. I'm grateful however, that unlike many, I did first of all get into the event and secondly I did manage to get all my photo-shoots done.

Stan's auto queue on the Sunday was one of the hardest queues I've had to work on. Not because of volume and demand, but because all of us in the area knew how much you wanted to meet him.

Up in the area, we had not been told what time he was due to arrive, but he may have started signing from 9, so we had to give out vq's. Additionally, we didn't know he was not feeling 100%. We knew he had signed up to 400 the previous day, and so, from 350 I tried as best as I could in a raised voice to tell the queue approaching that we could not guarantee an autograph and that the chances were uunlikely. I apologies if I was not heard, but I'm sure many can testify to my claim. When we found out that Stan was not due to start signing until 11, we had to reevaluate as we had lost roughly 2 hours of signing time. I am not blaming Stan or anyone for this. We were told as soon as we knew. Given Stan had the photo shoot at 12, we knew he wouldn't get through as many as we had hoped before this time. Queue priority was given to those with priority passes (comic gold, silver etc) and they could all join the queue including those with a number up to 25. I was enforcing the number up to 25 vehemently, requesting to see every persons number. I did kick some people out of the queue.

We needed to close the queue not long after he started signing as he needed to make his scheduled photo shoot. I stood at the end of the queue and made sure no one else joined.

At this point we were expecting Stan to return between 2 and 4 at some point, but we didn't know when or for how long. Based on this, we started telling people that we hope to get signings for up to an hour and didn't expect him to get past the 100 mark. We tried to be open and honest based on our understanding. We tried very hard to leep people informed and also to keep the area safe. Large crowds blocking the concourse are a safety risk and your safety is important to us. We started loading up priorities again... but we stopped as soon as we had confirmation that Stan wasn't coming back. I'm not going to lie, we had to pause and think, because we knew what this would mean to all of you. Jason delivered the news (as many of you know) and as far as we were concerned, there would be no more autographs. This was confirmed later for all those who had already paid. We discovered that Stan was coming back to do the signing for golds not too long before you did. I hope you can see we tried to manage expectations as best we could. We understood the severity of the situation and can only apologies for the situation, I am sorry, and thank all those who see that this was a situation outside of our control. I don't know what happens behind the scenes, but wanted as many of you as possible to have the chance. The pit boss in the area had a lot of tough messages to deliver and calls to make over the day to keep you informed and he did the best job. Safety and information management was our priority.

I hope you come to future shows, the organisers see all this and i am sure they are taking it on board.

Thanks for reading

Luke, blue shirted tall ginger guy with beard loosing his voice

Well you did damn good job considering the circumstances. I was in the gaming zone around the time it was announced Stan was taking a rest and I saw the hordes of people around his signing area. I do feel very sorry for you having to deal with that!

This comment is not aimed at Stan Lee but the organisers:

you know the age and health concerns of someone who is 91 years old and you ignored them to make money. you knew he would a large draw for numerous people, so why didnt you take the option of making of making the friday an all day event.

i tried to get Stan Lee's auto on sunday and arrived at queue at about 8:15 and there was already several hundred people in the que, at that point i realised along with my partner that there was really no way of being successful in obtaining his signature.

i feel that this event has probably jeopardised his health and this is coming from my partner who works in the health care community.

And I said before, and others did agree, but it is not SM'S fault. They asked and Stan's team could have said no, but chose not to!

Jason has posted an official response to the Stan Lee events of the weekend. Please do read the full post here.

Stan wasn't the problem that people are complaining about though. Everyone appreciates how old he is and the care needed to be taken with him. None of the guests were an issue from what I can gather either, I'm reading amazing stories of encounters with every one. It's more basic stuff like queuing, having barriers, crew directing people, signs along the queues showing which is which, inconsistent communication amongst crew etc etc. Same things that crop up year after year and are never fully addressed. I've been attending SM events since 2003 and there are still things that were problems then that still crop up now. That's what people have issues with and none of that is spoken about. Personally I know how things work and just go where I know I need to go and do my own thing so it rarely impacts me.

I had a Friday photo-shoot ticket with Stan and got turned away because there were too many people apparently so I had to go back on Saturday which then impacted on my other photo-shoots. George A. Romero who I was supposed to have one with at half six, was late so I had to go to his, then Helen Slater, then to Stan's and that's when I was turned away, I have to be honest, that annoyed me since I'd purchased my tickets carefully spanning the three days so I could attend the shoots in the order I'd bought them. I understand changes are sometimes unavoidable, but it was a headache. I'm grateful however, that unlike many, I did first of all get into the event and secondly I did manage to get all my photo-shoots done.

Sorry SilvaNemesis. I remember having to turn you away and felt bad. I'm glad you got the shoot done eventually.

I've just read showmasters response to the shows problems. What gets me is that you say you carried out more photos so that Stan could meet more people , but forget to mention that he didnt really meet people because they were rushed past him in a terrible manner. I understand the no physical contact but no talking to Stan ? You havent addressed several staff were rude and the fact that when several people had photos with Stan as he was dozing. I have sent you an email which you have failed to answer and have tried to ring the phoneline all day but it goes straight to answerphone. My and several other peoples photo shoot with Stan turned into a farce on Saturday afternoon and im fed up of you telling people it was efficient. ..it turned impersonal and not how I had built my visions of meeting one of my idols.

Photo shoots are rarely a time to sit and chat with guests, occasionally a guest will interact with you but ive only ever had evyanna lynch have more than a five second exchange.

I dont think anyone wanted to come across as rude, every single person who had a photoshoot where Stan had closed eyes was allowed to go back through. If people had been chit chatting to him it would've prevented a tonne of people meeting him, however brief the interaction.

As jason has said we were briefed by stans people, it was his security who gave us the terms we relayed them

I wasn't given the chance to have my photo retaken and Stan is clearly asleep in it, It would have been nice just to say Hi Stan or Thanks for all your work, no one was expecting a full blown conversation but was ordered not to make any kind of contact whatsoever. My friend had a shoot with John Hurt on Saturday and had a small chat and a really friendly looking photo which took nearly no time at all. As previously said this shoot was a farce. Its just a pity that Showmasters don't reply to your emails or answer your phone ! I saw this as a chance to meet one of my idols and it was impersonal to say the least.

Got to touch him on Friday with an arm draped over his shoulder and exchange a quick hi etc.. no doubt he seemed far happier, active and enthusiastic (obviously the weekend tired him out, it tired me out on Saturday and i'm 25!!) than by saturday where he was struggling to stay awake.

Living legend and thank you showmasters for giving me the opportunity to meet a person who has had such a huge impact on my life.

As I didn't meet Stan the Man (never intended to) I can't comment on people having missed meeting him other than to sympathise with them. Still, I am astonished at all Stan did over the weekend for his fans. The guy is 91 and puts some other guests half his age to shame.

• Like 1

I wasn't given the chance to have my photo retaken and Stan is clearly asleep in it, It would have been nice just to say Hi Stan or Thanks for all your work, no one was expecting a full blown conversation but was ordered not to make any kind of contact whatsoever. My friend had a shoot with John Hurt on Saturday and had a small chat and a really friendly looking photo which took nearly no time at all. As previously said this shoot was a farce. Its just a pity that Showmasters don't reply to your emails or answer your phone ! I saw this as a chance to meet one of my idols and it was impersonal to say the least.

If you had raised it we would've let you back through, I'm not sure if this was your first con but it's a Showmasters rule, if your photo is dodgy such as closed eyes (yours or guest) etc...they will let you retake it as long as you give them back the original.

As you previously aware at the time of collecting my photo a member of you staff was scolding my child for no other reason but walking towards me, so that distracted me. I also see that several of my posts have been erased raising my concerns. This is not aimed at you personally but pictures were being taken as he was asleep. I have emailed showmasters a few times and tried to phone them to no avail. Is it policy as well to turn the shoot impersonal. I can see that many people had great experiences with Stan but mine was not. If I had known before hand what it entailed I wouldn't have entertained having all my visions of this moment crushed. Even though we have had our disagrements about this Talie thankyou for your replies. Even though this was my first LFCC I have attended several shows before but never actually had a photoshoot before, I usually go for autographs, this has made me think I made a mistake changing my usual routine.

Many photoshoots are impersonal for big guests, especially older guests, that's just the nature of events of this type and something you come to expect after doing them for many years. Personally it doesn't bother me, I still like doing them, whether I get a full body hug or a pose or just get to stand next to them for 5 seconds.

• Like 1