Stan Lee - Signing no more...

Those saying he only signed up to VQ 400-something are forgetting the 800 gold pass people he also signed for that didnt require VQs, so he probably ended up signing about 1000 yesterday by my calculations.

and add to the total the many dealers and their helpers with wristbands who also got mulitple items signed and didn't need a VT ticket.

I had several chats with people yesterday about Stan Lee. One thing I was told (not sure whether it is true) but that he had only flown over and arrived in London Friday morning and essentially come straight to the show. Now if that is the case then he is most likely to have been hit by jet lag and combine that with his age then it really is going to be having an impact on what he was going to be able to do.

I got the impression from how he described it at the talk that his plane landed on the Friday, he went straight to the film studio to film his cameo for Avengers 2, then went straight from there to the pre-signing on the Friday.

So having worked flat out for two days since he arrived it's no wonder he was wiped out by the Sunday.

Edited by MLP*

Stan did soooooo much this weekend so really think the Stan bashing needs to stop... How many of us will still be around at 91? Let alone still signing 1000's of autographs and doing 1000's of photo shoots? And a talk? An awards event? A meet and greet?

Is anyone actually bashing Stan ? :BRUISED:

I'm sure he wanted to do as much as he possibly could for his fans for his last UK appearance.

Looking at the schedule he was on though, I'm not sure it was ever realistic that he was going to be able to do it all. He would have been working flat out for three days, including Fri and Sat evenings. That would be a tough schedule at any age.

I had a great experience start to finish. Yes there were mishaps. Arrived just in time for the pre signing on Friday to get through the door and be told it was cash only. Show masters fault for not having chip and pin? Or mine for not thinking about this and checking first?....I'd have to go with the latter.... Because these forums have been an excellent source of information pre show and every question asked was answered.

Silver comic pass got me to 7th place in the first queue on Friday..., so yes my stress was over. Had I thought til this point I was stupid for spending so much on a pass? Absolutely. Did everything after that point make me think it was a shrewd move? Absolutely.

Before anyone says "lucky you if you can afford it" .... I work full time and this trip was my annual holiday for the year....and cost me a lot less in than an overseas holiday would have. So no I'm not loaded.... I just make my choices where I spend my money and holidays.

Stan did soooooo much this weekend so really think the Stan bashing needs to stop... How many of us will still be around at 91? Let alone still signing 1000's of autographs and doing 1000's of photo shoots? And a talk? An awards event? A meet and greet?

All this he did to ensure his last European con appearance was memorable for us and probably for him too. So let's give the guy a break eh? Leave with a great experience not a whole load of criticism. Remember the reasons we wanted to go in the first place and what the guy means to us for us to queue so much.

Now show masters....

1)Did they try and make as much money as possible? Well yeah...they're a BUSINESS. Of course they did. They have to recoup their outlay

2)!Did they make errors that annoyed me? Yeah....are they gonna learn from these? ..... I would think more than likely yes. Will they make more in the future? ... You betcha they will.

3) Are they any different to any other business? No.

All in all I guess I. Saying I'm glad I had a pass, I feel for those that did not pre book, but we all make our choices

Well said people who buy passes inc myself have saved a long time for these gold and silver passes, because this event means a lot to them/us. I think it's unfair people assume they can just turn up and expect to see Stan at anytime, and then bash the organisers who gave us this opportunity in the first place as being a joke and un-organised. Saying that I truly feel for those who qued first thing in the morning and had a low enough vq ticket to be seen and was left heart broken! but leaving the event late afternoon on sat and sun I saw ques snaking round earls court for entry and people still expecting to meet Stan Lee at that time of day need to blame their own organisation skills! Personally I think showmasters do the best they can to put on a great show and give you the options months before the event to inform people of what to expect and what would be most beneficial to us ticket wise.

• Like 1

when we went in there was a blonde with her hair down and a brunette guiding people to Stan. I should have added the the brunette just gave orders not politely to not touch or talk to Stan. I felt like I was back in school. You surely realise people have been excited about this for a while but to be treated in the manner we were is unacceptable. But the main point has been that Stan whether he said or not should have had a lesser work load and too much was expected of him. But in all fairness to do as much as he did in that heat was amazing

• Like 1

when we went in there was a blonde with her hair down and a brunette guiding people to Stan. I should have added the the brunette just gave orders not politely to not touch or talk to Stan. I felt like I was back in school. You surely realise people have been excited about this for a while but to be treated in the manner we were is unacceptable. But the main point has been that Stan whether he said or not should have had a lesser work load and too much was expected of him. But in all fairness to do as much as he did in that heat was amazing

This is something I didn't experience, which day was this?

I was at the event yesterday and missed out on seeing Stan Lee.

I don't blame Stan Lee one bit, it was amazing of him to do the 3 days and sign and do so many photos.

So we had early bird tickets for the sunday got there ay 730 and the queue was right around the building and into the hall but we got through quick enough. We got our VQ tickets for Stan Lee and they were like the 780's etc now at no point did anyone say there was no chance that we would get to meet him, they kept on handing out the VQ's and there was a massive queue behind us. This was around 9.30-9.45 ish

So we went off and looked around etc came back around 10:30-10.45 just to see what the numbers were up to and was told Stan had only just turned up and they hadn't even started the VQ's yet and they'd be lucky to get a few hundred signed from the VQ's.

I Know someone above said they had VQ number 26 and couldn't get a signature.

So my point is it was before 11am that they knew Stan wouldn't be basically signing anything, did anyone tell the massive crowd that was gathering awaiting to BUY standard entry tickets that they had no chance to meet Stan (unless they had pre bought photos). I feel that they wouldn't have told people incase they left the venue and not buy tickets. All the advertising was Come Meet Stan Lee etc but on Sunday, there was no chance

although disappointed that I didn't meet Stan I still had a great time and must say alot of the cosplayers were awesome, posing for pictures and very friendly

So not having a go at Stan, he did what he could in the time allowed. Stan you're still a legend :)

I imagine I was the only blonde in there though I didn't have my hair down long as I was hot lol. If it WAS me who seemingly snapped at you I can only apologise and say a) I don't remember and B) it is NOT my usual manner at all, in fact I had conversations with little girls about Elsa, with another child that it was his birthday, I was instructing where people could leave gifts etc....

Stan was phenomenal and kept going because he knows this is the last time he is here.

• Like 2

TBF that's ONE person lol who got an out of this world experience. I bumped into my hero JK Rowling in the street once and she hugged me, personalised for me and was PHENOMENAL. Similarly at a JK Rowling signing for Casual Vacancy, I like everyone else was pushed through, no touching, no photos, NO cameras, NOTHING. However a girl I know had nearly the exact same thing happen as to what happen with the girl, she was crying, taken into a room, got a photo with JK etc...

Sometimes an out of the world experience will happen in a normal situation

• Like 1

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here by gloating in the way that you are. No one from showmasters told me no touching or no photos, it was definitely people from his team! So not quite sure what you think has been let out of Pandora's Box, cos honestly I was quite happy just to get an autograph, bein a photo and be acknowledged by him when I said thank you to him after each one!

Edited by MrsEllacott

One guy (the ONLY person who was in front of me in the queue) had simply not left the venue on Saturday night and had instead spent the entire night (10pm to 7am) waiting at the gates (I had appeared at just before 1am, just for the fun of it, and was second in line all night :D).

Where I was at the west Brompton entrance, the day began disastrously for the Stan Lee people because although they had been queuing since the night before, the security guards opened the main Earls Court gate first, then proceeded to very very slowly wander over to our gate, not opening it until about ten minutes later. This meant that the poor guy who had been waiting in line since 10pm was not in fact first in the Stan Lee line, he was more like 30th-40th place, forced to line up behind the Earls Court gate crowd even though they had arrived at around 6am-8am and he had been there since 10pm!.

I'm not sure whether he and the other Stan Lee fanatics just behind me ever got to see Stan, but I really hope they did. If Stan only signed up to number 25 though, I think the security guard's selective gate opening procedure might have been the random act of accidental injustice that prevented those guys from hitting the required 1-25 ticket number :(.

Sorry to say, the guy in question left empty handed. A lovely fella who was there as much to meet Stan rather than get anything signed.

You're also right about the gate opening, I may have been amongst the first 25 as well had they opened the gates at the same time!

It's not the first time this has happened though so I should have learned from before and dwelling on the ifs and buts can drive you potty!

The gate opening is down to the EC staff though not SM. They also ballsed up the queue move downstairs - initially telling the front of the queue to back up with nowhere for us to go and then when they moved us inside downstairs, the queue got all mixed up again.

Very frustrating, more so when you get minimal sleep to ensure you get a good position in the queue...

I just don't understand if the crew could see how fast/slow the signing was going, why didn't they stop handing out VT's???

My friend got one for my son (numbered 700+) & I have seen comments from people that had numbers over 1200+ who had no chance!

What 90+ yr old is honestly going to sign 1200+ autographs in a 2-3 hour session??? Ridiculous.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here by gloating in the way that you are. No one from showmasters told me no touching or no photos, it was definitely people from his team! So not quite sure what you think has been let out of Pandora's Box, cos honestly I was quite happy just to get an autograph, bein a photo and be acknowledged by him when I said thank you to him after each one!

I was specifically told by Showmasters crew 'no touching, no physical contact' in the photoshoot. His own team however, were nothing but brilliant the entire weekend. I can only be positive about them; a great bunch of guys and a credit to Stan.

I was specifically told by Showmasters crew 'no touching, no physical contact' in the photoshoot. His own team however, were nothing but brilliant the entire weekend. I can only be positive about them; a great bunch of guys and a credit to Stan.

No I agree, they were fantastic. Especially during the autograph session. Maybe I am wrong and it was someone from Showmasters, but I don't think it was. But I had my two children with me, so I was more concerned about making sure they went the right way.

This is something I didn't experience, which day was this?

This was the Saturday third photoshoot which I also experienced. Talie (I think it was; blonde hair, stood next to/nearest to Stan Lee) was very friendly and approachable. The other SM crew/staff inside the shoot however were not...

EDIT: the guy organising the queue in Photoshoot A area also did an outstanding job!

Edited by keithporter23

Reading all these posts is making me feel that I was very lucky to get a look in with Stan. I queued up Friday morning for the earlier signing at was 16th in line, even had a tiny chat with him. Also had my photo on Friday evening and seemed in very good spirits. I really hope that the guy whom waited during Saturday night/ Sunday morning got what he wanted, but I have the unfortunate feeling a lot of people were left heart broken

• Like 1

Reading all these posts is making me feel that I was very lucky to get a look in with Stan. I queued up Friday morning for the earlier signing at was 16th in line, even had a tiny chat with him. Also had my photo on Friday evening and seemed in very good spirits. I really hope that the guy whom waited during Saturday night/ Sunday morning got what he wanted, but I have the unfortunate feeling a lot of people were left heart broken

I think people would have been left broken hearted even if everything ran perfectly, because there was never guarantee even with the Friday preshow signing, that everyone would have got that much wanted meeting with him! I was lucky to get both photo and auto but was prepared to accept the auto might not happen!

Neither anyone from Showmasters or his own people said anything about no touching when I went for my photo. It was only when someone I know from both here and twitter mentioned my arm around Stan that I knew anything.

One guy (the ONLY person who was in front of me in the queue) had simply not left the venue on Saturday night and had instead spent the entire night (10pm to 7am) waiting at the gates (I had appeared at just before 1am, just for the fun of it, and was second in line all night :D).

Where I was at the west Brompton entrance, the day began disastrously for the Stan Lee people because although they had been queuing since the night before, the security guards opened the main Earls Court gate first, then proceeded to very very slowly wander over to our gate, not opening it until about ten minutes later. This meant that the poor guy who had been waiting in line since 10pm was not in fact first in the Stan Lee line, he was more like 30th-40th place, forced to line up behind the Earls Court gate crowd even though they had arrived at around 6am-8am and he had been there since 10pm!.

I'm not sure whether he and the other Stan Lee fanatics just behind me ever got to see Stan, but I really hope they did. If Stan only signed up to number 25 though, I think the security guard's selective gate opening procedure might have been the random act of accidental injustice that prevented those guys from hitting the required 1-25 ticket number :(.

Sorry to say, the guy in question left empty handed. A lovely fella who was there as much to meet Stan rather than get anything signed.

You're also right about the gate opening, I may have been amongst the first 25 as well had they opened the gates at the same time!

It's not the first time this has happened though so I should have learned from before and dwelling on the ifs and buts can drive you potty!

The gate opening is down to the EC staff though not SM. They also ballsed up the queue move downstairs - initially telling the front of the queue to back up with nowhere for us to go and then when they moved us inside downstairs, the queue got all mixed up again.

Very frustrating, more so when you get minimal sleep to ensure you get a good position in the queue...

Seriously gutted for this guy. I cannot imagine how he must be feeling :no:

• Like 1

I feel exactly the same. I was fortunate to be able to make the Friday afternoon signing session and so got a "fresh" Stan Lee. Good session & I got a smile and fist bump from Stan The Man. Managed to get a low photoshoot number for the first session on Saturday and so got a "fresh" photo with him as well with both of us doing the Spiderman shooting web pose. I just noticed in our picture that our shoulders are touching! Shhhhhh don't tell anyone!

In all seriousness I feel VERY lucky that I was able to get the above great experience with Stan and I genuinely feel bad for everyone who missed out. Unfortunately a friend on mine was one of the thousands outside Earls Court on Saturday with no hope of getting in so I'm very sympathetic to you all.

• Like 1

I don't want to slag off Stan, his people or the team who ran the event, but I just need to say that having got up really early early Sunday, and managing to get VT 41 to get an autograph for a poster I bought specially for the occasion, I was very disapointed to leave without a signature.

I had a great weekend with some awesome memories, and a photo with Stan that will take pride of place, but this tasty cake is missing a very large cherry,

When I went for the 12-2 photoshoot on Saturday, all I heard from the crew was "no touching stan, no talking to stan" and the like, I think I got 2 seconds with him but did manage "hi how you doing?" To him, didn't hear a reply as I had to go and my photo isn't my proudest moment, but you couldn't ask for a retake.

I met him at the early Friday signing and it was a fairly quick affair while he signed my item, he complimented it, I thanked him and said "have a good weekend" to which I think he said "you too" (can't remember exactly, but it was quick). Even in the signing there was "no touching stan" being shouted around, although he was quite happily giving fist bumps, although I didn't get one or attempt it.