Stan Lee - Signing no more...

The talk was great. Stan was just amazing! So funny!

I left the con at 6pm and the photo shoot was still going on, so yeah, I think he did do it.

What a good guy!

Edited by Elspeth
  • Like 2

Those saying he only signed up to VQ 400-something are forgetting the 800 gold pass people he also signed for that didnt require VQs, so he probably ended up signing about 1000 yesterday by my calculations.

Aww bless him - I can't fault Stan at all - he did the best he could with great spirits :)

Edited by angelstorm
  • Like 1

Less photo op's, more autos please!!!

It takes a lot longer to sign something than it does to get a photo. So what you're basically saying is "fewer fans should have the chance to meet Stan on the last/only opportunity they're ever going to get".

SM obviously had to make a choice, schedule-wise, between autographs and photographs. Given that (a) people had already forked out money for the photos and (b ) it was easier to get through several hundred of them rather than fifty or so autographs, they made absolutely the right choice about which to prioritise.

Edited by sebpatrick
  • Like 2

I think people would mostly prefer to get autographs. I don't believe the photo shoots should have had priority. I do believe showmasters had marketed this unrealistically - surely Stan should have been aware of the plan to move between two halls and periodic times. 91 or not - he too had a choice to be realistic and set any limitations before hand to cut expectations. Sunday was practically a no show and I do wish Stan and Showmasters were realistic of sunday. Its not unheard of - to have stars sign for just 1-2 days - instead of 3. It would have been a rational choice and a fair choice for the fans and for Stan to have made realistic expectations early on. Saturday was brutal - and Sunday was hard in its own way. I was one of the 6a.m bunch and I got a virtual ticket of 132 but I didn't hold my breath.

Can't showmasters create an app - that allows you to login - list your favourite stars - see what status/number they are up to - or if they decide its all too much for them to sit one last 2 hour round. I must have ran between both halls for Stan, Ian and Carrie at least 10 times.

I think people would mostly prefer to get autographs. I don't believe the photo shoots should have had priority.

The problem there is that the photoshoots are prepaid, so to not fulfill those while taking money for autographs would have been completely wrong.

Even so, they sold too many and they really needed to have a photo area for just Stan Lee in the same hall.

Perhaps they could also do a limited number of prepaid autographs tickets, which would work similar to gold tickets (except that gold ticket holders would still get priority).

• Like 1

I was a little upset when i arrived this morning and got in at 11am to be told they werent giving out VT for his Auto :( i only came for him but on the plus side i did get my picture with him but yh an auto would of topped the day off for me but like i said im Happy with the fact i got his photo

• Like 1

Stan did not like doing the photo shoots he felt like a shopping centre santa claus...

How do you know that?

he did not look pleased after his last photoshoot on Saturday. He made it out of that hall very fast and looked very grumpy, but I got to see him! If I hadn't I would have been very very upset
  • Like 1

As someone that got to meet stan on Saturday and get what I wanted signed I have to say for a 91year old he worked bloody hard to satisfy his fans! Let's not forget on Friday he did a signing session between 11-4 then was back at earls court for 6pm, then back again on Saturday at 9am! For those of you that didn't get to meet him I feel your pain...

• Like 3

I think at the end of the day this was a massive example ( all three days ) that too much was planned in & expected ( of crew & guests ) and in the future a limit ( a low limit ) needs to be set for all ticket sales & autographs / photo shoots should be pre sold and again limited to a much more reasonable number - if guests then get through all those pre sold items you have an open queue so anyone else on the day can just queue and grab a signature - I loved the comic con & the guests I met but I can easily see from an organisation point of view this just failed massively in many areas - including health & safety for EC1 where all but two small doors that were an entrance & exit had padlocks on them to keep them shut - with around 2500/3000 people in there during the Stan Lee talk what would have happened if there was a fire ...

Overall I had positive / good things happen as I say the guests were amazing ... the comic artists drew me & friends some awesome stuff ... and I managed to buy some cool things from the stalls ... oh and Cosplayers thanks for always letting us take your pic and come up with some cool costumes ! but yeah a lot of the crew ( red & blue ) had little to zero knowledge when asked questions ( not their fault ) and so the key organisers and owners of Showmasters really need to focus on how to change things for the better as if the con is to continue to grow things need to change sorry - too much was expected and Saturday especially was an utter mess from an organisational perspective

• Like 3

I will say I thought the photoshoots were the most professional aspect in organisational terms. Fast, clearly regimented, if from what I gather, a little lacking in the personal touch and a bit condescending to visitors.

Just a massive shame that so many people who had planned to get a Stan auto over the weekend didn't get one.

Yes, the Friday pre-signing was a good idea but too short notice for many people especially those who travel from further afield and, oh yes, have to work for a living to pay for their demented autograph collecting hobby!

• Like 1

I read this and just had to post it here - There isn't anything else to say really. Taking time out of his own breaks to make someone's whole year feel special...I feel if Stan could have seen everyone he would have, but for reasons already explained by Jason at the event he couldn't. The man's a legend and will continue to be so in my eyes for many a long year to come.

Edited by Zahariel
  • Like 6

I read this and just had to post it here - There isn't anything else to say really. I feel if Stan could have seen everyone he would have, but for reasons already explained by Jason at the event he couldn't. The man's a legend and will continue to be so in my eyes for many a long year to come.

Lovely story! She was very lucky!

I'm thanking my lucky stars I was not after Stan 'a autograph. For those who were, I really feel fur them. Photoshoots are great but 2x 2hr blocks per day? IMO that is just too much time away from the signing table for any guest but especially for one Showmasters knew would be mega busy.

If a guest can't even get through a couple hundred VTs then there is something swiped my wrong with the organisers planning.

• Like 2

Stan did not like doing the photo shoots he felt like a shopping centre santa claus...

I worked his photoshoot on Saturday and we were explicitly told by him it was the most efficient one he had ever seen

Edited by Talie
  • Like 3

Lots of unhappy people, Jason's response to them -"he's 91 what do you expect?!"

Gosh..that almost sounds like Jason is blaming someone else for perhaps his own shortcomings and oversight of the situation.... :o

Actually, and I don't how much crap I get for this, it is his team's fault! Jason asked THEM if Stan wanted to do all three days, all these signings and all these photos and all the extra ones added and THEY said yes. They could have and quite honestly should have said no! But they didn't! That is not Jason's or Showmasters' fault. They asked for extra due to the demand they got, they knew they may have said no, but they took that chance. His team still said yes! I commend Stan for doing as many autos as he could (which they were getting through very quickly when I got mine Saturday) and doing so many photos plus talks! I am not surprised he was tired come Sunday! It was obvious to me that Stan truly values his fans and did the best he could to meet every one who turned up to meet him!

• Like 4

I'm with Mrs Ellacot on this. All the Photoshoots and talk were to give as many people as possible the chance to meet their idol. It is never guarenteed at these events that you will meet everyone you want to as there is not enough time in the day. It was hard on Stan and I do feel bad for him and the fans it was awful on Sunday but he still did as much as he possibly could and did An awesome talk.

I just don't think it is fair to lay the whole blame on Showmasters. Clearly Stan wanted to meet as many of you as he could so he agreed to do the extra stuff. No one could realistically predict how he would be by Sunday

• Like 3

Lots of unhappy people, Jason's response to them -"he's 91 what do you expect?!"

Gosh..that almost sounds like Jason is blaming someone else for perhaps his own shortcomings and oversight of the situation.... :o

Actually, and I don't how much crap I get for this, it is his team's fault! Jason asked THEM if Stan wanted to do all three days, all these signings and all these photos and all the extra ones added and THEY said yes. They could have and quite honestly should have said no! But they didn't! That is not Jason's or Showmasters' fault. They asked for extra due to the demand they got, they knew they may have said no, but they took that chance. His team still said yes! I commend Stan for doing as many autos as he could (which they were getting through very quickly when I got mine Saturday) and doing so many photos plus talks! I am not surprised he was tired come Sunday! It was obvious to me that Stan truly values his fans and did the best he could to meet every one who turned up to meet him!

Couldn't agree more with this post. SM knew there was massive demand for Stan so all they can do is ask if he is available for more stuff giving fans more of a chance to meet him. It is down to Stans management to say this is not possible for him to do etc...

• Like 2

Can't blame Showmasters on this one, they did everything to make as many as possibly meet Stan Lee, but they can't do anything about a 91 year olds stamina.

I had a Friday preview ticket and a Staurday Early bird ticket, and honestly, I was fully expecting this to be INSUFFICIENT to meet Stan, and had already resigned to this. If I really, really needed to see Stan, I would have gotten a gold pass, as a knew that for all intents and purposes would be the only way.

That Showmasters then announced a pre-event signing of Friday was a huge bonus and something I did not expect, and that is what allowed me to meet him after all.

Thank you Showmasters for making it possible.

Edited by norse_sage
  • Like 4

I had several chats with people yesterday about Stan Lee. One thing I was told (not sure whether it is true) but that he had only flown over and arrived in London Friday morning and essentially come straight to the show. Now if that is the case then he is most likely to have been hit by jet lag and combine that with his age then it really is going to be having an impact on what he was going to be able to do.

If the above is true what a better plan to have been to do was (a) fly him over several days before in order to get over the jet lag, freshen up and recuperate; (B) have realistic expectations/agreements in place as to what he would be doing; i.e. sign for an hour, have an hour off, then photo for an hour, have an hour off etc. etc. and have advertised this to be the case.

I personally am not much of a comic person and will freely admit it. I used to love Spiderman & His Amazing Friends when it was broadcast here in the UK back in 1982/83 and loved Spiderwoman and possibly the 1970s Spiderman but other that not really a lot of it appeals to me. I can however appreciate what Stan means to a lot of people and I believe that he is a gentleman who knows and appreciates what he means to his fans and with his decision to no longer come to Europe wanted to be able to fulfill the wishes of as many of them as he possibly could but unfortunately his frailities worked against him. (As an aside Christopher Lee refused to go to New Zealand Hobbit filming due to the same reason.)

I personally would like to thank Stan Lee for all the work he has done over the years and the resulting happiness he has spread and hope he lives for a healthy life for many years to come.

• Like 1

I had a great experience start to finish. Yes there were mishaps. Arrived just in time for the pre signing on Friday to get through the door and be told it was cash only. Show masters fault for not having chip and pin? Or mine for not thinking about this and checking first?....I'd have to go with the latter.... Because these forums have been an excellent source of information pre show and every question asked was answered.

Silver comic pass got me to 7th place in the first queue on Friday..., so yes my stress was over. Had I thought til this point I was stupid for spending so much on a pass? Absolutely. Did everything after that point make me think it was a shrewd move? Absolutely.

Before anyone says "lucky you if you can afford it" .... I work full time and this trip was my annual holiday for the year....and cost me a lot less in than an overseas holiday would have. So no I'm not loaded.... I just make my choices where I spend my money and holidays.

Stan did soooooo much this weekend so really think the Stan bashing needs to stop... How many of us will still be around at 91? Let alone still signing 1000's of autographs and doing 1000's of photo shoots? And a talk? An awards event? A meet and greet?

All this he did to ensure his last European con appearance was memorable for us and probably for him too. So let's give the guy a break eh? Leave with a great experience not a whole load of criticism. Remember the reasons we wanted to go in the first place and what the guy means to us for us to queue so much.

Now show masters....

1)Did they try and make as much money as possible? Well yeah...they're a BUSINESS. Of course they did. They have to recoup their outlay

2)!Did they make errors that annoyed me? Yeah....are they gonna learn from these? ..... I would think more than likely yes. Will they make more in the future? ... You betcha they will.

3) Are they any different to any other business? No.

All in all I guess I. Saying I'm glad I had a pass, I feel for those that did not pre book, but we all make our choices

• Like 4