Stan Lee - Signing no more...

1.55pm - I have VT 160 for Stan. Just gone to join queue only to be told Stan has yet to sign a single VT number and the chance of me getting is auto is VERY slim. Absolute joke.

Stan arived late, signed Gold and Silver, then went off for a 2 hour photoshoot (££££) and then will be signing Vt's from 3 to 4, when he will then be going to do more photoshoots (££££) and then his talk.

There is going to be a whole lot of disappointed and angry fans later. Less photo op's, more autos please!!!

• Like 1

1.55pm - I have VT 160 for Stan. Just gone to join queue only to be told Stan has yet to sign a single VT number and the chance of me getting is auto is VERY slim. Absolute joke.

Stan arived late, signed Gold and Silver, then went off for a 2 hour photoshoot (££££) and then will be signing Vt's from 3 to 4, when he will then be going to do more photoshoots (££££) and then his talk.

There is going to be a whole lot of disappointed and angry fans later. Less photo op's, more autos please!!!

Stop throwing the ££££'s around!

Stan Lee is 91 years old, show him some damn respect!

• Like 16

As disappointing as it is, with Stan Lees age and condition, it was going to be inevitable. No one can be angry or fault him for that. If anything the photoshoot works in the fans favour, as he can at least sit there instead of over exerting himself signing thousands of autographs for hours on end. I hope he doesn't over do himself this weekend.

• Like 5

The pounds are not aimed at Stan, they are for SM. They are the one's who have massively oversold this event unfortunately.

You want more autos and less photos, but have you considered which out of the two is better, health wise, for a 91 year old?

• Like 5

If I was Stan I would rather do photos than autos. It doesn't matter how many tickets are sold he is no way going to do everyone. If he said he would do 300 a day do you think sm would only sell 300 entrance tickets?! I went with this all in mind and hoped for the best if not at least I tried, fortunately I was one of the last few to be signed.

• Like 2

The disrespect for Stan is horrendous. The guy is 91. As soon as I saw how much time he would be signing for, doing photos, PLUS the talk THEN the added signing I felt concerned.

I am absolutely exhausted at aged 24 from spending a hour or so trying to navigate the congested areas so imagine how he feels ?

Yes, you are going to be entirely disappointed that you didn't get his autograph but at least you got a VQ and hadn't actually paid for one.

Some people outside had £65 photo shoots that they never made it to...

But in argument of that, why pay that much for a photo but not pre pay for a ticket ? Can see the argument on both sides.

Better ticket and queue organisation needed for next year.

• Like 12

I'm on my home now completely dejected at having queued from 5.30 am, getting a VQ ticket of 69 and not having got an autograph from Stan.

Gold, gold comic, silver bands got seen,everyone else over ticket 25, yes you read that right 25!!! we're not seen.

Stan doesn't turn up until gone 11am, so the 3 hour morning signing window is reduced to only 1, then goes off for a 2 hour photoshoot at about midday.

It's ok though because Stan will be back at 2 pm and they are hoping to get about100 signings done.

Jason tells us all at 2.30 that Stan is having a sleep and may do the afternoon talk and photoshoots but no more autographs!

Lots of unhappy people, Jason's response to them -"he's 91 what do you expect?!"

I must say the pit boss for Stans signing was useless- couldn't form an orderly queue, left everyone clueless about what was going on and left the poor blue shirted staff to sort things out and take the flak. He should have taken the bull by the horns and did his job.

I only came for Stan and thought such an early start would be sufficient.

Show masters arranged too many photoshoots and must have realised this by then arranging the extra Friday signing- great if you could make it at such short notice, I couldn't having booked the Sunday back in January when I booked my train and hotel.

We all know the bit that comes next-"we've learnt the lessons, blah, blah, Stan was a one off as he's 91, blah blah"...

I don't care, I won't be going to any more SM events as it's not worth the stress...

• Like 2

They didn't arrange to many photoshoots, if anything it was good for people who saw him, if he did more autographs I would be surprised if he did more, he's 91 as you said he "went for a sleep" If he was signing more autographs he woul be even more tired...

• Like 1

Stan has his own team that arrange his schedule and I assume agreed the amount of time he'd spend, the talks and the photoshoots. It's easy to blame Showmasters but it would have been agreed with people who are supposed to be looking after Stan, maybe they should be blamed rather than always assuming Showmasters are the bad guys?

• Like 5

I do feel really sorry for people who were there on Sunday for Stan Lee. First of all, there were people with me who had arrived at between 2am-4am in order to rush in early and not be caught out like they had on Saturday. One guy (the ONLY person who was in front of me in the queue) had simply not left the venue on Saturday night and had instead spent the entire night (10pm to 7am) waiting at the gates (I had appeared at just before 1am, just for the fun of it, and was second in line all night :D).

Where I was at the west Brompton entrance, the day began disastrously for the Stan Lee people because although they had been queuing since the night before, the security guards opened the main Earls Court gate first, then proceeded to very very slowly wander over to our gate, not opening it until about ten minutes later. This meant that the poor guy who had been waiting in line since 10pm was not in fact first in the Stan Lee line, he was more like 30th-40th place, forced to line up behind the Earls Court gate crowd even though they had arrived at around 6am-8am and he had been there since 10pm!.

I'm not sure whether he and the other Stan Lee fanatics just behind me ever got to see Stan, but I really hope they did. If Stan only signed up to number 25 though, I think the security guard's selective gate opening procedure might have been the random act of accidental injustice that prevented those guys from hitting the required 1-25 ticket number :(

I was lucky with Stan, I saw him briefly and had two books signed during the private showings earlier in the week, just to make sure I wouldn't miss out.

Edited by casbyness
  • Like 1

I wandered past the Stan Lee area just before leaving for the day on Sunday and observed a standstill queue, with lots of miffed-looking people asking questions about what was going on. I didn't realise at the time that the situation was as bad as people are explaining here though...

• Like 1

Yes they did in my opinion, far too many. So what, a VQ up to 25 is normal is it?

As I understand it he did up to 400 yesterday, hardly the huge numbers he was said to sign at events like this!

Bottom line, I'm not having a dig at Stan- "he's 91, what do I expect?!", no SM we're happy to welcome visitors to "the biggest and best" event ever, travelling from far and wide, eagerly clutching their marvel comics and canvasses, which are now unsigned.

I'm happy for those who got an autograph from Stan but I'm not going to forget about the many who didn't, me being one of them...

• Like 1

Those saying he only signed up to VQ 400-something are forgetting the 800 gold pass people he also signed for that didnt require VQs, so he probably ended up signing about 1000 yesterday by my calculations.

• Like 2

Damn. I really feel for the guy that waited all night. I really hope he got what he wanted. That's conviction rarely seen. Best wishes to him.

• Like 2

I sent a poster down to be signed by Stan Lee so just hope and pray he has signed it. but I feel really bad for him this weekend after hearing all this stuff just hope he can now relax

Edited by malky
  • Like 1

Me and my partner got at the 'stan lee' hall on Friday 5pm was in and seen stan by 6.30 VQ 15 + 16 TOTAL FLUKE ! He looked absolutely shattered (from the early signings) - saw him today at his talk (WHICH WAS CRAMMED IN LIKE SARDINES) he looked in good spirits. hope he's not been badgered into this huge workload - he's a true gent

• Like 1