Troubles at London Film and Comic Con- an open letter:

Someone should answer the question why the fire exits were chained up. Pretty sure that's illegal as it has a massive health and safety risk

That is down to the venue not event organisers.

I didn't attend this event (thankfully as I have Asperger's Syndrome and major crowd anxieties and would never have coped) but I am pretty sure that if an emergency situation were to arise and people died as a result, both the venue operators and the event organisers would be held accountable. That would mean facing charges of manslaughter.

Saying that the fire exits being chained up is down to the venue and the organisers simply wouldn't hold up from a legal standpoint. It is the responsibility of both parties to ensure that everyone is safe and, in this situation, both parties are undoubtedly cupable for the debacle that arose.

Both Showmasters and the management at Earl's Court should consider themselves lucky that no one did get seriously hurt as a result of this and ensure that necessary measures - namely ensuring all fire exits are NOT chained up, thus allowing people to escape in an emergency, and also limiting the number of people allowed in period - are put into place for future events. Otherwise, it is very likely only a matter of time until someone does get hurt and, at that point, all the excuses they can conjure up will not protect them from the consequences of their actions (or should that be inaction).

Well if this one aspect of the horrendous experience on Saturday is brushed under the carpet by Jason & his crew then I for one will be very very angry.....and I shout at lot at people when I get angry....online and elsewhere...

:saiyan:

Do you turn super saiyan? ;)

Someone should answer the question why the fire exits were chained up. Pretty sure that's illegal as it has a massive health and safety risk

This is quite concerning. Are you saying that in the event of a fire & the escapes being locked you believe that Showmasters would have no responsibility for any loss? Have you checked this with your lawyers? Especially with all of the social media reports of overcrowding that would also be your responsibility?

• Like 1

I still can't understand all these selfish people still sticking up for Showmasters,I've been doing LFCC for a few years now and each year I've come there's been issues,be it with majorly rude staff,long queues,overcrowding,or the fact you can't breath once you're there.I don't think e-tickets or any more advance tickets would cure the problem as it's a problem on the door in general.These Showmaster sympathisers are just showing themselves up as being the selfish ones,that want to turn a blind eye to the farce they are financing.As I said before advance tickets aren't an option for everybody due to life commitments and living day to day.And I stand by my comment that I shall never be back

I still can't understand all these selfish people still sticking up for Showmasters,I've been doing LFCC for a few years now and each year I've come there's been issues,be it with majorly rude staff,long queues,overcrowding,or the fact you can't breath once you're there.I don't think e-tickets or any more advance tickets would cure the problem as it's a problem on the door in general.These Showmaster sympathisers are just showing themselves up as being the selfish ones,that want to turn a blind eye to the farce they are financing.As I said before advance tickets aren't an option for everybody due to life commitments and living day to day.And I stand by my comment that I shall never be back

How are we selfish? Because we had a good time, because we got in, because we can actually see the positive side of the event, because we didn't experience any of what you do did? I encountered only well mannered, polite and helpful staff! Queues are expected at any event like this. Overcrowding was to be expected too and it felt worse because of the way people just randomly stopped and not thinking about those trying to move past them. I am not selfish because I enjoyed myself, nor because I had minimal problems. I had to suffer my son have two major meltdowns in front of everyone, while attempting carry numerous bags, drinks and dealing with my daughter, while he ran off and I couldn't catch up to him but I am not blaming anyone else or calling them selfish for not helping me!! If anything it is you being selfish, by acting like a child who didn't get the toy they wanted for Christmas! I went with a stinking cold on Sunday and I was able to breathe just fine, thank you very much! No one is turning a blind eye to anything that happened, but we are sticking up for them because we actually managed to see all the positive things about this event, that people like you are turning a blind eye to! I shall be returning and I plan to again and again as they have provided me the opportunity to meet people I never would have otherwise and at a reasonable cost!

• Like 3

I have no beef with those who enjoyed themselves - good for you - but what I have a beef with is PROFESSIONAL care for ALL fans, not just those who are having a wonderful feckin' time but those who are scared, hot, & ill which if you look around between some of the angry posts are very very valid - myself included.....

The only thing I will keep going on about and I REFUSE to be shouted down by those who had fun is the Health & Safety aspect for ALL people there on Saturday...Fans, Guests, Crew, Owners, Police, Volunteers from Earl's Court, Staff etc....if Fire Exits were indeed chained up and someone is to blame - who depends on whether you are 1 of 2 or me I guess - then these are the IMPORTANT things that MUST be answered...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time....I didn't, I was scared and panicked and had to leave...my day wasn't ruined but if I had been trapped in that place due to a serious emergency I know darn well I probably would not have had a very good chance of getting out if indeed any FIRE EXITS were chained shut!!!

I hesitate to say it but it does indeed sound a criminal offence if this is true.... :(

Editing to add that I am very "hot" on this due to an experience of a fire in a venue I attended in London a few years ago...I was at the front barrier of a gig when under the stage caught fire....it was a small fire but I couldn't believe how quickly it escalated and the heat and smell from the smoke was horrific!!...everyone got out safely but there was panic and many people were traumatised over a very "small" incident...

This is NOT fun folks, trust me....I remember that smell and that heat now ..which is why I'm so adamant on knowing that if I return to another crowded venue like this I can trust Showmasters 1000% ....at the moment, and after Saturday I don't...:(

However I am sure this one aspect that Jason will want to give a true and honest answer to us all... :D

Edited by discodiva
  • Like 2

I do think Health & Saftery were compromised this weekend - particularly Saturday. Less is more I think and if we have fewer tickets available and have to pay more at both door and for signings and photos then so be it.

I had a great weekend, as many people did, but that should not cloud the fact that making money appeared to come before personal safety - one for SM to respond to and refute if they can.

• Like 1

But surely a company as professional as Showmasters would have checked that ALL aspects relating to Health and Safety were in place and working before they dared let anyone in the room?....:(
Once again, as an event organiser- it's equally the responsibility of the venue.... And the events company who contracted them and should be policing them.

And as people seem to insist on harping on about the sunburn issue- I had both drinks and sun lotion guys- as did most people- but when you stand and cook for 4 hours , you kinda run out of drink and lotion kinda stops being helpful. Which you just don't expect in the 30 ,impute queue you were told about. If they had at any point told me it was 4 hours and we'd be lucky to get in... I wouldn't have been there. fact. How can I know what to do for my own health if I've been lied to about where my expectations should be.

Edited by Xchasingtailsx
  • Like 3

I have no beef with those who enjoyed themselves - good for you - but what I have a beef with is PROFESSIONAL care for ALL fans, not just those who are having a wonderful feckin' time but those who are scared, hot, & ill which if you look around between some of the angry posts are very very valid - myself included.....

The only thing I will keep going on about and I REFUSE to be shouted down by those who had fun is the Health & Safety aspect for ALL people there on Saturday...Fans, Guests, Crew, Owners, Police, Volunteers from Earl's Court, Staff etc....if Fire Exits were indeed chained up and someone is to blame - who depends on whether you are 1 of 2 or me I guess - then these are the IMPORTANT things that MUST be answered...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time....I didn't, I was scared and panicked and had to leave...my day wasn't ruined but if I had been trapped in that place due to a serious emergency I know darn well I probably would not have had a very good chance of getting out if indeed any FIRE EXITS were chained shut!!!

I hesitate to say it but it does indeed sound a criminal offence if this is true.... :(

Editing to add that I am very "hot" on this due to an experience of a fire in a venue I attended in London a few years ago...I was at the front barrier of a gig when under the stage caught fire....it was a small fire but I couldn't believe how quickly it escalated and the heat and smell from the smoke was horrific!!...everyone got out safely but there was panic and many people were traumatised over a very "small" incident...

This is NOT fun folks, trust me....I remember that smell and that heat now ..which is why I'm so adamant on knowing that if I return to another crowded venue like this I can trust Showmasters 1000% ....at the moment, and after Saturday I don't... :(

However I am sure this one aspect that Jason will want to give a true and honest answer to us all... :D

Sorry to moan the way I did, but starting to feel like I am wrong to bring anything positive to these forums and being made to feel I should only have bad things to say. People forget that the positive stuff is just as important as it means Showmasters are more likely repeat or get a guest back and so on! Everyone has a different opinion and we should be allowed to have one, whether it is negative or positive so Showmasters can learn from all of it. No one should make out that their opinion is more important than someone else's because they are ALL important!

Edited by MrsEllacott
  • Like 2

Not a complaint just a curious question

My ticket wasn't checked on entry so I just walked in I wonder how many did that with no ticket

I did, both days! I tried to show it but no-one seemed interested, then I just walked through a door because I couldn't see anyone checking tickets, just stamping people's hands.

• Like 1

This event truly wasn't without it's flaws.

Luckily, no terribly bad things happened to me, just a bit of rushing and confusion due to the bad organisation. My girlfriend and I still had a great and successful day, and will definitely be back in the future. But, like everybody else, we just hope the creases are ironed out by then.

Edited by TrinityKiller24
  • Like 1

I didn't attend this event (thankfully as I have Asperger's Syndrome and major crowd anxieties and would never have coped) but I am pretty sure that if an emergency situation were to arise and people died as a result, both the venue operators and the event organisers would be held accountable. That would mean facing charges of manslaughter.

Saying that the fire exits being chained up is down to the venue and the organisers simply wouldn't hold up from a legal standpoint. It is the responsibility of both parties to ensure that everyone is safe and, in this situation, both parties are undoubtedly cupable for the debacle that arose.

Both Showmasters and the management at Earl's Court should consider themselves lucky that no one did get seriously hurt as a result of this and ensure that necessary measures - namely ensuring all fire exits are NOT chained up, thus allowing people to escape in an emergency, and also limiting the number of people allowed in period - are put into place for future events. Otherwise, it is very likely only a matter of time until someone does get hurt and, at that point, all the excuses they can conjure up will not protect them from the consequences of their actions (or should that be inaction).

Finally, Thank you!

I fully understand..I've been doing Showmasters events since GMEX Manchester 2006 as well as Chevrons as well as visiting "other places" all over the world to attend "things" - you know the rules here....

Positives are great.....and I salvaged my day by having a wonderful time away from the venue...

I will only go on about the Health and Safety aspect....this to me, is important....and deserves the correct input, answers and if change is needed, changes made...

And I did meet Robert Hays and get to shake his hand....I have seen Airplane at least somewhere in the 50-100 times including the cinema when it came out so that's a real hero of mine to make the journey up to London worth it.....it was trying to get out of the place after this happy moment that terrified me....

• Like 3

how odd that some people think everyone is in the same situation when it comes to being organised. how can you buy tickets in advance and be prepared when they are still announcing new guests up to the last 48 hours including popular new GOT guests and the website has been shut for ticket sales for 2 weeks or more. of course many people will make an unexpected decision to turn up last minute having not planned to come at all especially when you see the website saying there are still plenty of tickets available for 'pay on the day'. and separately in my daughters situation she gets paid once a month and it fell on the friday of the convention. so she had no option but to do things last minute. I'm guessing plenty of people were the same.

The way we did it: buy silver passes and as many tickets as we wanted online. Queue early on Friday and get in, head straight for the sales desk to buy any tickets issued after the online store closed, but you still wanted. Rest of the friday we spend browsing the stalls and checking where most guests would be seated for their autographs. Saturday, again queue early, get in (silver passes were definatly worth their money for this, reading the horrorstories of others), head straight for the autograpssection and get in line for the most wanted guest. After the first autograph is scored, you check the queues which have formed in the meantime and pick the shortest from the rest of the people you want to meet and work your way up until its time to go to your shoots. Silver passes give priority, so even if your shoot has already started, head to the front of the line, show your ticket and pass and ask about the priority. Worked like a charm every time. Even Stans shoot only took us no more then 3 minutes queueing. Rest of the afternoon we spent at the talks on the superstage. Queue on time again for decent seats, Just wished the sound was better.

Sunday pretty much the same routine, autographs first before the crowd arrives. Scored everyone left we wanted except Stan. Took a risk with him, but had other autographs we wanted too and Stan was signing alone in the other hall. After that, raced to court I for that last, but so important Stan autograph, got in line, while the crew announced only silver/golds could still get in line and no more vqs were handed out. Loved my silver pass even more at that time and were one of the last to get an autograph done. Spent the rest of the day getting the last of our shoots done and saw Stans talk.

All in all going home extremely satisfied and with a small treasure trove of autographs and shoots.

Edited by Vhiper
  • Like 1

I was talking about the people having a constant go at others for not buying advanced tickets..Showmasters are just lucky there wasn't a replay of Hillsborough on Saturday,I'm done anyway with the whole thing,as I say this has been years coming and not just this year's farce,every year for the past 3 years there's been issues ...the fact that people on here cannot see what's infront of them,by the fact you are being fleeced by spending your money at every turn...with no concern for your welfare?Good luck to you,if you are truly happy being treated this way in life...I have never known a company (if you can even call it that) that is so quick to take your cash...for little return and no customer care.They have also got a logistical nightmare on their hands refunding people who didn't get to their photoshoots. And just for the record...It IS all Showmasters fault as they are the ones hiring the hall,the staff etc...contracts usually dictate that responsibilities then pass to an organiser,not a venue.They should have been managing queues,aware of the capacity and turned people away sooner...not 4 hours in! Oh and as for being called a child? I spent over £100 getting to London for nothing...I think that entitles me to throw my toys out of the pram....nice personal insult,I see people on this forum haven't changed over the years either...still brown nosing and aggressive! None of this matters anyway as Moderators will delete this whole thread soon anyway...as they "Don't like negativity" good bye

I have given SM an awful lot of my money over the years, going back to meeting Lou Ferrigno at CM3.

I don't post on any internet forum at all. I don't have The Twitter. I don't have The Facebooks. On the whole I do not see the point of sharing everything with everyone.

However, this weekend's disgraceful display by SM has forced me to change a personal policy. I genuinely think it needs to be said how badly managed, with little to no regard to the public's enjoyment and most importantly safety, this event was. Also reading through these posts it also sounds very much like a nice man in his 90s was rinsed out for as much profit as they conceived possible ahead of time, without much thought to how this would actually play out in reality.

The fact that SM carried on selling tickets on the door all the way through till very late afternoon on Saturday is simply irresponsible.

And whilst of course it's great that people are so keen into this nerd culture we all love, that they are willing to volunteer, that doesn't help the thousands of people who are looking for someone with some actual knowledge passed down from those in charge, to tell them where the back of a queue is.

I saw someone mention in an earlier posting that they saw Jason out the front on Saturday telling people where to go. Well I saw him too in his black flowery shirt. He was stood by the entrance waving in the people at the front of the queue through the door. He should have been down at Earls Court tube saying, 'sorry we're full'.

Unfortunately he wasn't still in the same position when I eventually snaked back up from Brompton Road tube (before going on back round the building obviously), to see the poor girl get clipped by the idiot driving the white van, who'd got frustrated that we were being forced to queue across the car park ramp.

I was talking about the people having a constant go at others for not buying advanced tickets..Showmasters are just lucky there wasn't a replay of Hillsborough on Saturday,I'm done anyway with the whole thing,as I say this has been years coming and not just this year's farce,every year for the past 3 years there's been issues ...the fact that people on here cannot see what's infront of them,by the fact you are being fleeced by spending your money at every turn...with no concern for your welfare?Good luck to you,if you are truly happy being treated this way in life...I have never known a company (if you can even call it that) that is so quick to take your cash...for little return and no customer care.They have also got a logistical nightmare on their hands refunding people who didn't get to their photoshoots. And just for the record...It IS all Showmasters fault as they are the ones hiring the hall,the staff etc...contracts usually dictate that responsibilities then pass to an organiser,not a venue.They should have been managing queues,aware of the capacity and turned people away sooner...not 4 hours in! Oh and as for being called a child? I spent over £100 getting to London for nothing...I think that entitles me to throw my toys out of the pram....nice personal insult,I see people on this forum haven't changed over the years either...still brown nosing and aggressive! None of this matters anyway as Moderators will delete this whole thread soon anyway...as they "Don't like negativity" good bye

I am the first to complain at anything that annoys the hell out of me so please don't label me how you see fit. But if you spent that amount getting to London with no prepaid tickets, then sorry it is your fault. I have traveled to Cardiff from London twice now and made sure I prepaid tickets I needed as not to risk not getting in!

• Like 1

Showmasters do say online when the shop will be closed so you are told when ticket sales finish. Don't think you can blame showmasters for a broken air con that is the venues fault and people selling drinks outside for high price that is the normal for any event in this country.

But I can blame them. They are the events organisers and I know what that means. It means you are responsible for the running of the event and the attendee experience. If they had been visible and monitoring the queue the touts wouldn't have been able to do that. If they had recced the venue appropriately they would have had a back up plan. Like. I said- I do their job.

Additionally I'm criticising their whole ticketing system which is outdated and clearly doesn't work. People don't know months in advance if they will be free that weekend in this day and age - weirdly people work Saturdays a lot now.

Yep I work all weekends except when I book this off as holiday aproximately six months in advance, I'm not stupid. I purchased my tickets three weeks prior to the event, usually I get standard but they had stopped selling them. Realising that meant capacity had been reached if I hadn't managed to get earlybird tickets I wouldn't have bothered turning up on the day. But then I use common sense such as bring my own bottled water that has been in the freezer all night so it defrosts throughout the day and makes an excellent cold compress when you are stuck in a queue.

Showmasters warned us time and again that this was going to be big but demand obviously overtook all expectation and results in people accusing the Showmaster team of being all about sucking money out of customers and then moaning that Showmaster's didn't take your money for autographs or photos, ie they didn't deliver what you wanted. They also get accused of not training crew enough, my answer to that is for you to go work for showmasters if you think things need changing. The crew is primarily people who used to be customers like you, and at least you get into the event for sure then.

Yes I am being cheeky but really you should email and volunteer to crew. You sound like the type of person that Showmasters needs.

I am glad that you are able to book time off that far in advance. However in my lime of work and I am sure in others, we could be required to change days off last minute due to events coming that need experienced staff to be on site- and we know that, I also have other commitments in life that aren't up for discussion but mean every weekend isn't my own and that again is a situation many find themselves in.

Be cheeky, that's fine to do, I could do it better, by the sounds of the people here most of you guys could do it better too- however- I can't- because of the above. I'd love to- really- and if my company was allowed to help them run this event I would do it like a shot- but showmasters would rather run off free volunteers than a paid members of staff. (And I'm sure a lot of them are more than capable too! I didn't see any but others have mentioned them and showmasters lucked out with such good free support- I commend them!)That's their business decision and I'm sure it's a nice thing for volunteers to put on their CV. However there comes a time when corners shouldn't get cut like this-morally if not legally- if they aren't briefed, if they don't know what they should be doing, or what the crowd should be doing- then not only are they the face of showmasters bringing it into disrepute with bad behaviour, but they are a danger in an emergency situation. How half this stuff passed risk assessments I don't know- I fill those damn forms out all the time and it would be on me- the event organiser- if something was overlooked and people got hurt.

• Like 1

It was a complete shambles this weekend but it all comes down to greed - making as much money as possible within a short time knowing that you have no intention of dealing with any comeback from bad organisation.

I only come to LFCC to see my friends, but I always buy a ticket in advance because there no guarantees of getting in. On Saturday I lasted 20 minutes before I gave up and went to the pub, I tried to spend as little time as possible in the venue. In previous years I have spent an absolute fortune on autographs and photos but this year it was so chaotic and crowded that I just didn't bother. I got one autograph which cost £20. Usually I come with a shopping list from my friends that can't make it - I am NEVER doing that again! In future years I'm going to make sure to limit the time I am forced to spend in the centre queueing to the absolute bare minimum. I actually enjoyed this year more than any other because I opted out of interacting with Showmasters as far as possible,

As long as they are making money, that is all they care about. Don't expect apologies, or even explanations. I think anyone who has ever complained to Showmasters will tell you you are wasting your breath. There's a scene in the Simpsons where Homer is trying to tell Moe that he has just 'lost himself a customer'. He yells it half a dozen times but Moe can't hear him over the clamour of other people trying to give him money. That's what complaining to Showmasters is!

• Like 3

The weather isn't SM's fault. But its the fact that health and safety was a big issue outside and inside. If it was going to be so hot, SM maybe could've thought about handing out water to people waiting in the queues, or had bottles of sun cream. maybe unrealistic but surely some of the crew could have been going up and down the queues with that as well as the programme?

I don't think you can reasonably expect Showmasters to do this. As the counter argument, if it was going to be so hot then people should have bought their own water and sun cream. It would have been a massive expense and logistical problem to have people carting thousands of bottles of water and sun tan lotion up and down that queue, and also a big drain on their already stretched personnel numbers. It is like when it is hot on the London underground they do not go around handing out free water, they tell you to bring your own water.

It was just a suggestion. The fact that people were left outside not able to get in at all it would have been helpful.

Yes we know it will....I have screencapped a couple of things re Health and Safety that concern me...it's all I can do atm....however when I go to other "places" and meet "other people" I will tell them all about my experiences...I've done it before ... ;)

Edited by discodiva

So it's my fault I have responsibilities?sorry I don't fit into your little life ideal. Sometimes,just sometimes...when you have kids and a fulltime job,and you have to wait for a weather forecast etc etc,and you are assured of "enough tickets on the door" ...you don't prebook...again with the "it's your fault" and the "I told you so" attitude... forum aggression and cliqueness again...I rest my case!

• Like 1

This is NOT fun folks, trust me....I remember that smell and that heat now ..which is why I'm so adamant on knowing that if I return to another crowded venue like this I can trust Showmasters 1000% ....at the moment, and after Saturday I don't... :(

Sorry to moan the way I did, but starting to feel like I am wrong to bring anything positive to these forums and being made to feel I should only have bad things to say. People forget that the positive stuff is just as important as it means Showmasters are more likely repeat or get a guest back and so on! Everyone has a different opinion and we should be allowed to have one, whether it is negative or positive so Showmasters can learn from all of it. No one should make out that their opinion is more important than someone else's because they are ALL important!

I absolutely agree- by the very definition a forum is a discussion- no one should be totally shut down for their opinion. And when people speak eloquently and back themselves up as you have I appreciate it- it's the other side to the argument and there always is one. I think the issue some of us have is the people who are basically saying "shut up- your stupid- I got an early bird ticket and all the stuff I wanted so pipe down". I mean that's a very negative way of backing SM which actually just makes no helpful point right? Other than to run everyone else down. At least we're voicing concerns they can fix?

It's just not constructive, I hope you can agree. You didn't do that- you made valid points- others on here haven't and just stoke the flames of discontent. I'm not stupid- I took showmasters at their word when they said they had plenty of tickets after I finally got the day off agreed by work and realised there was no EB tickets left. I took them at their word when they said it was a 30 minute queue. I now know never to take them at their word. I certainly won't ever go without an EB ticket again, wasn't my intention to this time either really- but perhaps now I just.... Won't ever go again.

I hope you know- I hope you all know- I really wanted to love this event. If everyone would stop focusing on sunburn and start focussing on the real issues that... As far as I can see reading back- no one has addressed yet.

Thank you mrsellacott for you positivity :)

Edited by Xchasingtailsx