Troubles at London Film and Comic Con- an open letter:

You, my friend, should really have read what ypu get better. VQ tickets for example: you did NOT need them with a silver pass! You could just have joined Stans que and get your autographs in front of everybody else! I got all i wanted and more. Chaotic yes, but if you had a silver pass you could have easilly done everything you wanted with little stress. I'm very happy with how this con turned out, great job SM, although i agree organisation can be improved.

Maybe my English is not good enough and I wasn't clear enough for you to understand, but I tried to get there with my silver pass and they told me I still need the VQ. Yes, the staff didn't let me there with my silver pass.

Edited by jademara
  • Like 1

You, my friend, should really have read what ypu get better. VQ tickets for example: you did NOT need them with a silver pass! You could just have joined Stans que and get your autographs in front of everybody else! I got all i wanted and more. Chaotic yes, but if you had a silver pass you could have easilly done everything you wanted with little stress. I'm very happy with how this con turned out, great job SM, although i agree organisation can be improved.

Maybe my English is not good enough and I wasn't clear enough for you to understand, but I tried to get there with my silver pass and they told me I still need the VQ. Yes, the staff didn't let me there with my silver pass.
Which goes back around to the fact no one at the venue representing the event had any idea what was going on... Edited by Xchasingtailsx
  • Like 1

There needs to be a limit to the number of tickets, and NO pay on day. That way the event will be more controlled, will be bearable for the attendees and will surely ensure that all visitors have a great time and get to do most of what they want. Yes Showmasters is a business but if half of the attendees are coming away p**sed then is that good for them in the long run - is it worth 5000 disappointed people for the extra ticket sales?

The range of guests this year was TOO much, the event was simply TOO big. It's all great when more and more big guests are announced but clearly the venue cannot cope with an event as big as it was this weekend.

For London, a ticket limit should be set and all of the tickets should be sold online. I'm guessing, and hoping, that SM learnt a lesson this weekend and that they will apply the nessecary changes to future LFCCs. I love SM events and did still enjoy yesterday despite everything, but some changes are clearly needed, I think most will agree. Not a complaint, just some constructive criticism :)

Edited by laurence1956
  • Like 2

There was a mum shouting for her kid as she obviously lost her but none of the crew could move away from their posts to help.

I'm sorry but if I was part of the volunteering crew I would have left my post to help. What could SM have done if I left my post to help... not pay me.... fire me? Oh wait.... I was volunteering.

How anyone, paid or not could not leave their post to help a parent who had clearly lost their child is shocking, absolutely shocking! This is not at SM but at those that didn't help, regardless of whether they were crewing or not.

I'm sure it all turned out well in the end, but shame on anyone that didn't help.

• Like 3

Someone should answer the question why the fire exits were chained up. Pretty sure that's illegal as it has a massive health and safety risk

If only someone had taken photographs of it as evidence.... did anyone? hint, hint?

Hint hint yourself, I did take photos and they've been included with a formal letter of concern, I was also speaking to other guests who have done the same.

• Like 2

Someone should answer the question why the fire exits were chained up. Pretty sure that's illegal as it has a massive health and safety risk

If only someone had taken photographs of it as evidence.... did anyone? hint, hint?

Hint hint yourself, I did take photos and they've been included with a formal letter of concern, I was also speaking to other guests who have done the same.

Ah i was hint, hinting in case you hadn't.... :smile:

Ah i was hint, hinting in case you hadn't.... :smile:

Fair does :)

Then they misinformed you. If you read this before leaving the con, rush to the autograph area of Stan, he's signing for gold and silver who hadn't had the chance yet right after his talk, but you have to be really quick.

Then they misinformed you. If you read this before leaving the con, rush to the autograph area of Stan, he's signing for gold and silver who hadn't had the chance yet right after his talk, but you have to be really quick.

Sorry to hear that :( Since yesterday I almost got a panic attack trying to get out of the building, I decided not to go today. During the afternoon it was nearly impossible to get out from the people wanting to get inside. Except Stan I got everything else I wanted yesterday.

It was like a oven in their yesterday ! When i got to meet Stan Lee for my autograph . The auto was slid under his nose and i said i had been waiting 45 years to meet you . He never looked up and i only saw the top of his head ! Couldn't believe the q outside ! But got all who i wanted and was very happy but not as relaxed as previous events .

Well i think the blame can be put on you as well. If you truly wanna go you buy the tickets. And as mentioned above. If you couldnt buy tickets online, you probably where Out to late. You snooze you lose. But e-tickets should be a good optin. But then they need other thing to check that your tickets not a fake.

• Like 1

Well i think the blame can be put on you as well. If you truly wanna go you buy the tickets. And as mentioned above. If you couldnt buy tickets online, you probably where Out to late. You snooze you lose. But e-tickets should be a good optin. But then they need other thing to check that your tickets not a fake.

Not if they have barcodes and just get scanned at the door- simple and really easy. Exactly what they do at A rival comicon.

I also- once again- repeat that I tried numerous times to get a ticket and it didn't ever work. How am I to blame for that? When I tried for the last time( of 5 attempts) I realised they had been taken off sale. Drat! However not to worry- they have PLENTY on the door ! Hmmmm

Edited by Xchasingtailsx

Well That was an abomination.

I attended the London film and comic con at Earls court on Saturday ... Well no , that's not strictly true. I tried to. What I actually did was queue around the entirety of the perimeter of earls court in the baking 26 degrees direct sunshine for 4 hours with NOTHING but sunburn and sunstroke to show for it.

I imagine that you think that I'm just another complainer, and yet I have NEVER written a complaint email in my life, and as I sit here nursing my pasty British skin now with added 3rd degree burns, I fear having a British stiff upper lip about this would do me no good.

Why are you fearing complaining?

People forget that this is a pay for event and we have a right to complain. If it was free then I'd understand but I think people need to start having some more respect for themselves and appreciate how hard they work to get their money to spend on this hobby.

• Like 7

You are right of course... I just didn't want to be abrasive for the sake of it. Why shout and be ignored when you can speak and have a conversation, and talk it out ya know?

But they are the ones who should be apologising. I wasn't going to post on here at all until I saw their thread about facts, fiction and dramatisation. That just put my back right up! Thanks :)

Edited by Xchasingtailsx
  • Like 1

I have been attending Showmasters conventions for many, many years but I stopped going to London two years ago because of the huge chaos that comes with the event. And it is really excruciating, as there have been many guests I wanted to meet but the idea of facing long (and often disorganised) queues everywhere (outside, autographs, photshoots, stalls) is stronger than my will to attend. The last convention I attended I had a golden pass, so I got everything I needed but moving around was really difficult and when I left, about 3 pm, there were hundreds queuing outside and I felt sorry for them. I read the forum and the relative comments and I understand that this issues keep resurfacing all the time (all recent London cons, Newcastle, Star Trek). It doesn't seem Showmasters is taking on board any of the criticism/advice we provide.

The "people not knowing which queue to join for lack of information" issue has been going on for years but you do nothing to rectify it.

The "photoshoot clash with talks or other photoshoots issue" has been going on for years but you do nothing to rectify it.

The "lack of well-trained staff in key positions" issue has been going on for years but you do nothing to rectify it.

The "the dealer chap in front of me had 35 posters getting signed" issue has been going on for years but you do nothing to rectify it.

However, the "I can't get out of the venue because there are hundreds of people at the entrance preventing that" thing is a novelty (with some serious health and safety issues, I believe). I hope this doesn't happen again.

I only attend Autographica at the moment, as it is more relaxed but I really would like to come back to London. As someone said, the show is getting bigger and bigger (good) but the organisation standards are not catching up (this is fact... not fiction, dear Showmasters). A real change of pace is needed here; either you get fewer guests (and take back the show to dimensions you are able to afford) or you organise the event at Wembley stadium and with more staff, next time.

• Like 2

I got there at 8:30 am and was still out there queueing at 1pm. I have never ever burnt in the sun in my life due to being naturally olive skinned but I BURNT WHILST I WAS IN THE QUEUE. I brought three bottles of water and guzzled them all in the queue as well as offering them to others who hadn't got any drinks. They were letting people re-enter whilst people who hadn't even got their tickets were frying in the sun outside, which was completely unfair. LET PEOPLE IN WHO HAVEN'T BEEN IN YET BEFORE ALLOWING RE-ENTRY! When I eventually got in I fought my way through the insane crowd and went straight to get a VT for the only guest I was there to see, Bernard Cribbins. The attendant tolf me they were only on number 100 (my ticket was 418) so I should come back at about 4. I did just that only to be told that he was going home and no matter how much I begged and pleaded the answer was no. And the board said tickets 1-450 which couldn't have given me a big time-window anyway. I wouldn't have been as disappointed if the autograph was for me, but it wasn't, it was to be a birthday present for my baby sister. I went home in tears because I had let her down. Since I got home I have been constantly drinking water and sleeping due to heat stroke, dehydration and exhaustion.

This was such complete and utter bulls***. I went for a day out to enjoy myself and got disappointment, anxiety, heat stroke and sunburn.

• Like 1

as a Gold pass holder i was distraught by the whole experience. Too much queuing and not enough priority. The DST VIP experience was much better managed but I am put off paying £3k again this year.

Edited by GodAtum
  • Like 1

Why do people keep bring up the weather in a way that sounds like SM fault? I know the queuing was bad for people I myself was there at 7.30am in the early bird pre paid queue, but paying on the day has its risks. While people complain SM were bad as get got sunburn etc.) it's unfair to hold SM accountable for that.

• Like 2

I got there at 8:30 am and was still out there queueing at 1pm. I have never ever burnt in the sun in my life due to being naturally olive skinned but I BURNT WHILST I WAS IN THE QUEUE. I brought three bottles of water and guzzled them all in the queue as well as offering them to others who hadn't got any drinks. They were letting people re-enter whilst people who hadn't even got their tickets were frying in the sun outside, which was completely unfair. LET PEOPLE IN WHO HAVEN'T BEEN IN YET BEFORE ALLOWING RE-ENTRY! When I eventually got in I fought my way through the insane crowd and went straight to get a VT for the only guest I was there to see, Bernard Cribbins. The attendant tolf me they were only on number 100 (my ticket was 418) so I should come back at about 4. I did just that only to be told that he was going home and no matter how much I begged and pleaded the answer was no. And the board said tickets 1-450 which couldn't have given me a big time-window anyway. I wouldn't have been as disappointed if the autograph was for me, but it wasn't, it was to be a birthday present for my baby sister. I went home in tears because I had let her down. Since I got home I have been constantly drinking water and sleeping due to heat stroke, dehydration and exhaustion.

This was such complete and utter bulls***. I went for a day out to enjoy myself and got disappointment, anxiety, heat stroke and sunburn.

Before someone jumps on here and tells you the sunburns your fault for not having a ticket or that you should have drank more or any of the other things people without a clue what it was like say. Thank you... For being honest and I'm sorry it happened to you too :(

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you're okay!

Why do people keep bring up the weather in a way that sounds like SM fault? I know the queuing was bad for people I myself was there at 7.30am in the early bird pre paid queue, but paying on the day has its risks. While people complain SM were bad as get got sunburn etc.) it's unfair to hold SM accountable for that.

They could have done more to help. Simply giving out water or even umbrellas for shade would have been a MASSIVE help.

I believe the sunburn is a collateral damage and it is not obviously Showmasters' fault. But it is their fault if people were outside for so long, no matter if there was sun, snow, rain or a perfect fresh weather: standing in a queue for so many hours IS bad enough! It is NOT attendees' fault if they want to buy a ticket on the day if the organisers state on their website that there are plenty. If, for whatever unforeseeable reason, you can't let anymore people in for a few hours, you really need to get out there and tell them to go home or stay and wait at their own risk.

Edited by Bergman
  • Like 4