How about some positive comments?

well i got to meet Stan lee and will never get the chance again so that balances out all the negatives (well allmost) . knowing what i do now about the weekend would i do it again...yes for Stan lee so thats a positive. but Showmasters really need to up their game in future. They lost a lot of good will over the weekend.

Sunday.

Photoshoot area 'A'

Bloke in glasses and blue top operating the queue.

A complete legend.

He was fighting a losing battle during the Stan Lee shoot (primarily getting himself heard over the

adjacent lecture/talks, next door.)

He did his job with humour, common sense and humility.

After I had negotiated the photoshoot I went over to him & shook his hand. I regret not getting his name.

• Like 1

oh and a positive about the guy who was trying to organise Stan lee's photoshoot area on saturday morning in area A a big positive about him and a big thank you.That guy worked hard getting things in place ,battling against a sound system next to him for a talk, and loads of people just wandering through the area. He got there in the end and i hope his voice recovers soon. Don't know your name ,but i know he's a regular , first class job matey.

see above post too i just noticed it leacroft

Edited by loveamyadams
  • Like 1

Hi guys! I had a very tiring but very satisfying weekend! The three if us managed to meet about 45 different guests between us!

Highlight of the Friday was the afternoon signing of Stan. He signed my Avengers boots and thought they were beautiful! The artists from Canvas Warriors were very happy with that comment :)

Saturday one of my favs was Anneke Wills. She was just lovely, and told us her mother was Dutch as we are, so asked if we would say her first name. We did this, and she commented that it sounded just as her mother said it. Very touching moment for us, with a genuinely friendly person.

Sunday my favourite was Ian Beattie. This being his first convention, he was so excited! He sweated like nothing I've seen, but he was just wonderful! We came back later because we'd forgotten to give him stroopwafels (Dutch caramel waffle cookies) and he saud it was the first gift he'd gotten and we got a kiss and a hug. I sure hope hecomes back sometime, he was so wide-eyed with excitement!

Kate Dickie was really sweet too, she responded really nicely to my comment about loving Pillars of the Earth, and she looooves stroopwafels too ;)

I also met lots of friends this weekend. I'm fortunate to count Guy Siner in this group, and got justabout hugged to death after not seeing him for over 3 years!

(Sorry, I posted accidentally before finishing)

Special thanks to the blond gold ticket holder that insisted we got back in the queue where we wete before being asked to leave as the queue was being cut for the moment.

And hi to the Swedish guy dressed as 11th doctor! We keep bumping into each other ;)

Edited by Liessa
  • Like 1

I attended on Sunday only and overall i would say it was a positive day. We arrived at around 5.45am to make sure we got everything we wanted. I was actually pleasantly surprised with both Ian McDiarmid and Carrie Fisher. They were both very busy and although the autographs were quick i didnt feel rushed, both were personalised and they both took the time to say something. Carrie was great in the photoshoot and it was a nice touch her having her dog there too lol. Im not saying that the event was perfect (far from it) but i came away with no real dissapoinments and happy.

I had such a wonderful weekend!! I'm truly sorry for those who struggled on Saturday and didn't get what they wanted, I can understand how disappointing that must have been.

We had early bird tickets for both Saturday and Sunday and wouldn't have it any other way!

Saturday

We arrived at Earl's Court at about 10:50am and could see the humongous queue that was going around the building and onto the street! Due to our early bird ticket we were able to stroll straight in. Yes, throughout the whole day it was crazy busy and very hot, however away from the stalls there were gaps for people to sit (granted on the floor but at any convention that's good enough for me!) to have a break or something to eat and was a little cooler. The prices for food and drink in there is steep however I can't believe that has anything to do with Showmasters but rather the venue. We had no problems getting any of our autographs, who were David Wenham (dreams made), Lawrence Gilliard Jr and Vincent Ward, all of which were so so lovely. We also didn't have to wait long to get to our David Wenham shoot. My only gripe with that one was that the photographer really didn't make the effort to get the best picture. Due to the camera being on a rather tall tripod everyone I saw had huge amounts of background in the picture rather than the majority of it being the people. Later we went to the GOT talk in the other building. They took a little too long to start getting people in there but when they began doing so we got in there swiftly. The sound could have been better (which it seems they corrected for the Sunday) but all the guests were fantastic. After this we had absolutely no problem getting back into the main building. In the evening we went to the GOT screening and commentary. Again, they took too long to start moving people inside but once they began we were in quickly, but there were not enough seats in the designated rows! The crew were very helpful in getting that sorted however. As others have mentioned, the surprise guest was an issue. I was not disappointed with the evening, I really enjoyed having Finn, Kristian and Daniel doing the commentary and I thought the host was great, but don't say that there will be a surprise guest if there isn't going to be. Even if there was someone and they unfortunately cancelled, just explain that that is the case! Do not tell people it's a pinata, that makes people p****d.

All in all, brilliant day.

Sunday

We arrived at about 9:15am, found the end of the queue at 9:25am, was in the building at 9:40am. Can not make a single complaint. A lot cooler in the building which was muchly appreciated, and as always with a Sunday, a little quieter. Busy around the stalls again but lots of space further towards the back of the hall. Again, we had no problems with queues for autos or photoshoots with all of them going down swiftly. Milo Ventimiglia, Gethin Anthony, Finn Jones and Kristian Nairn were all fantastic. So approachable, really chatty and friendly, more than happy to take pictures at tables (some of the guests over the weekend were offering the photo themselves which was really nice as I do not tend to ask for them). The GOT talk on Sunday was brilliant. As mentioned previously the sound was much better and the selection of guests were great. As I'm sure people will have mentioned somewhere already, Lena Headey and Kate Dickie, who were announced to attend when the tickets had been sold, never arrived. I can understand that there will have been a reason as to why they couldn't attend, but as mentioned with the commentary, tell people! Things like that shouldn't be ignored. Just explain the situation so that we know. I don't think that's asking too much. The bonus of the day was going to the FREE LOTR talk which included Philip Grieve and David Wenham. Thank you, thank you, thank you Showmasters. I couldn't have asked for more than that.

Was the whole weekend ran perfectly? No. But in all honesty, not a single aspect put a downer on my weekend. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Thank you Jason and crew.

I really enjoyed it this weekend, it was my first Showmasters event for a long time and it was certainly alot better in my opinion.

All staff were very helpful and polite, the guests were fantastic and the costumes were incredible.

Well done to Showmasters for the event and to all the staff and attendees for making it such an amazing event :)

• Like 1

Some of my positives.

Showmasters, for attracting a very large range of guests. Impressed with the variety and the prices were very reasonable.

The dedicated crew, in particular some of the guys/girls manning the photo areas - stressful situations, but seemed to deal with it well.

The photographers (in particular A/B/C/D) who had to get through an absolute ton of photos.

The Cosplayers for taking the time and effort to make and show off their costumes.

And once again, for Carrie Fisher's dog...who on Sunday decided he wanted to be in all the photos aswell.

I had a brilliant time. Got 22 autographed pictures plus 2 signed books, had 3 photo shoots and attended 7 talks.

Thanks Showmasters for making my weekend as I got to meet David Hewlett and Joe Abercrombie and you also made my Mum's day, even though she wasn't even there, as she now owns a signed photo of Jamie Bamber.

Hi,

Yes myself and my party had a fantastic weekend, mostly due to one thing planning.

For a couple of us it was not our first time, we had one newbie and one occasional con goer with us.

Things we knew before hand we were going to spend a large portion of the weekend in one queue or another, there were going to be lots of people, it was going to be hot and smelly, and the food in the venue would be over priced. So we planned around this and as such had a good time.

Gotta say well done to SM for getting the extra signing with Stan on the Friday, im sure a lot of people would have missed out if it wasn't for this.

The lack of air con on sat was a bit of a pain but then, as planned ahead had plenty of water and a handy can of lynx no problems.

The location for this con is spot on and shouldn't be changed, this is just because there is a tesco down the road (cheap food) and a quick stop on the underground is Hummingbird bakery which we managed to do one day during a quick stop for lunch. That's right we left the hall and then went back in with out any issues.

Every guest we met was relaxed and having fun, only one down side is not meeting Ben Aarnovitch as we rocked up a bit later on Sunday (yeah i had a lie in) and he had scampered.

Gaming zone was cool, from my time over there didn't look like anyone was hogging the machines and we all managed to have a play on our favourites.

Over all good time, met some nice people, bought some cool stuff, won a couple of the auctions.

Only down side is going to be my credit card bill at the end of the month! (however not as much as the person in front of me when i was paying for my auction stuff they had a £1700 bill for the auction)

• Like 1

For me and my friend the trip was for one thing and one thing only, get Stan Lee's autograph and against all odds we both got it on a fantastic print which will soon be mounted and hung on our walls.

The Battlestar Galactica talk was also something we thought about and after queuing for 30 minutes to buy tickets and moving maybe a meter we had come to the conclusion we wouldn't be getting in then a hero wearing blue asked what we were waiting for, we said to buy tickets for the BSG talk starting in 20 minutes and he directed us to another blue shirt down near the front who got us the tickets we needed and very shortly there after we were sat down waiting for the talk to begin.

So overall me bad my friend had a very good day.

Well my weekend was for the most part very unenjoyable and stresssful, for the same reasons that everyone else is saying, so I won't go into details, but my positive comments are as follows:

The last 3 hours of Sunday were much better. I was panicing that I wasn't going to get any of the autographs I wanted due to so much time being wasted with the Stan lee fiasco etc, but then it suddenly all came together.

The queues died down for the other big guests for whom we were told there was not much chance earlier, and we suddenly got autographs for Summer Glau, Ian McDiarmid and Carrie Fisher :-)

Time went on, and Stan Lee was late for the final photo shoot, I was worried as my son and I had to leave at 18:00, so I spoke to a crew member who was so helpful, and ensured that we got our photo with Stan just in time before we had to leave. That crewman has my sincere thanks, he saved the weekend for us and we finally left the event with smiles on our faces. He's a legend.

I only attended on Sunday but had a fantastic time! As I've stated in another thread, all the guests I met, including Carrie, were really welcoming and friendly. And I'm so happy with my personalised Carrie auto!

I'm glad I chose Sunday to attend rather than the Saturday as it seems that Saturday was chaotic and very hot! All of the SM crew were incredibly helpful and informative. There was only one exception (and my only issue on Sunday) where I had a photoshoot clash. I asked the SM lady at the front of the Robert Knepper queue if she could get me through quicker so I could get to the Finn Jones shoot and her response was that she couldn't do anything so I might as well go ask for a refund or exchange. Glad I didn't take her advice as I went straight over to the Finn shoot, got that done then rushed back over to the Knepper shoot and managed to get in just before he left! Other than that, the day went smoothly.

Just want to say a big thanks to the guy who was in charge of the Photo Area A queue on Sunday. I was there for most of the afternoon as I had three shoots there one after the other, and he was really helpful and answered everyone's queries. He was really friendly and managed to handle the huge queues with what seemed like ease!

Thanks once again SM for an incredible event! Cant wait til the Winter con and I hope you guys go from strength to strength! :)