Hygiene ( or lack of)

I was so sweaty too but as I bath regularly I wasn't stinky, there is a difference between clean sweat and stinky sweat and that's just old fashioned soap and water if everyone just washed themselves and their hair and clothes on a regular basis and used a good anti perspirant these things would be a far sweeter affair!!! :)

There were some serious body odour problems with people this weekend. I was forever spraying my perfume, not because I was smelly but to help my nose from the stench of some of the attendees :BRUISED:

Its not as if soap/deodorant is expensive...please use it people...nobody else wants your stinky bits to violate their nostrils. Eeewwww!!!

And deodorant people, it's not expensive!

Yes, it was particularly grim-smelling in there today... Ergh...

I (luckily in this case!) have no sense of smell but my boyfriend did mention a few times that it was rather smelly in there.

I know I had to disappear off to the toilet several times for a thorough spraying of deodorant of Lynx Dry which is supposed to be super-efficient but only had limited effect. A late old dear friend of mine who has HIV/AIDS+ used to shower several times a day but one of the medication side-effects meant that he used to sweat for England and frequently honked.

I for one always wash my hands regardless of what I am doing and also carry around a pack of wet wipes.

Re the argument about urine being sterile. Personally I can't see how it can be but even if it is you still get remnants and sweat around the necessaries which will be bacterial-prone hence why it's potential cause for thrush.

i agree when it comes to sweaty noone can be blamed. we all get hot and sweaty at theses events especially when the air-con doesn't work. i don't complain about people smelling because i know as much as i cleaned myself with wet wipes and put clean clothes on in the morning an so in with the temperatures that were in that building and the crowds however much you wipe yourself down and use deodorant it just doesn't work you will sweat yourself silly. I have come to find over the years of coming to cons you just have to block out the smell of sweaty people and think of other things.

• Like 2

I was browsing some comics ... suddenly realised someone had dropped a bomb so swiftly I moved on lol

well I say swiftly .. this was Saturday so you can imagine how quickly I managed to get away from the stink

{ eww }

I found that that happened A LOT. Gross

I couldn't get over the basic lack of personal hygiene the smell of one particular person had me physically gagging as I walked past. Deodorant isn't optional it's no wonder some guests get so fed up and don't want any contact!

All the deodorant in the world wont work if you haven't bothered to have a wash first :( I know I was sweaty but I brought deodorant wipes and extra deodorant with me and made sure I had a thorough shower before setting off in the morning, even if it was 5am.

• Like 1

This is what people forget it's not actually your sweat that smells its the unwashed skin that it accumulates onto so people just need to wash, quite why bathing seems an alien concept to some people I will never know.

I kept having to move away from people in queues for their stench. I mean, seriously people, you're either in a hotel or in a house, WASH A LITTLE. PUT SOME SPRAY ON. Told a staff member I wouldn't "step up close!" To the guy because I'd pass out at one point. He didn't get my hint.

• Like 2

I still don't get why so many men don't wash their hands after using the toilets, is it some sort of macho thing ?

As for body odour generally, it was hot in there so I doubt there were many people who weren't sweltering in the heat !

Autograph collecting does seem to attract a small group of people though who don't seem to have had the pleasure of meeting Mr Soap and Mr Deodorant any time recently !

• Like 1

I brought deodorant, antiperspirant, aftershave, hand gel, face wipes (a godsend in keeping cool), mint, and couldn't imaging being there without those things.

It's not just respect for yourself (which is important) but also respect for other people to keep fresh and clean and have good hygiene.

I have a theory as to why you may have observed so many men who weren't washing their hands. The way the toilets are layed out in EC2 is that in one half there is all the urinals, and in the other is the stalls and the sinks. Quite often you would have people queueing for the stalls which meant it was sometimes hard to get to the sinks so I imagine some people decided they just couldn't be bothered with the hastle. I remember the first time I went in there when I arrived on the Saturday morning, after squezing my way in and using the urinal, it took me a minute to actually find the sinks, and then another minute to get to one.

Also, just by the way as people have been talking about the temperature being mainly to blame for the smell, heat induced sweating does not really produce body odour. The kind of sweat that reacts with bacteria is produced by glands sensitive to adrenaline, so it is "stress sweating" that makes the odour worse.

Its the lack of washing hands which does my nut in..queuing to use the toilet, people who had just done a Pee AND those coming out of the cubicles who did a lot more than pee, all walking straight out without going near the sink or anything..disgusting..

Pee is not sterile..Pee is the waste product of you're kidneys flushing out waste and toxins from your blood/body and thats how you get rid of it..The other end of the spectrum, I guess you'll be saying fecial matter is sterile too, which people no doubt have on their hands after wiping themselves. Its not a case of they cant find the sinks, or dont have time, id say 99% its because they just cant be bothered..

I work in a supermarket, but the amount of staff alone I see who dont wash hands, or better yet, a couple (though not sure who) dont even wipe their backsides and will leave the toilet unflushed..and these people are handling food every day..

The human race can be pretty disgusting in general and theres really no need for it. People call me paranoid that I carry 2-3 bottles of anti bacterial hand gel around on me.

BO on a hot, crazy day can't always be helped, and i'll say I didnt notice that problem over the weekend. However on my coach home Monday, someone on there reeked of BO and it was actually rather sickening having to smell that for over 4hrs...on that occasion, whoever it was had no excuse..

Edited by crippsy_99

When the venue gets that busy, sometimes the BO can't be avoided, but seriously I walked past one guy and the absolute stench suggested to me that he hadn't had a wash for about 4 years!

Thinking about it, if he had a photoshoot with Stan Lee between 12 and 2 on Sunday, we have a possible reason why Stan didn't return to signings that day...

Its the lack of washing hands which does my nut in..queuing to use the toilet, people who had just done a Pee AND those coming out of the cubicles who did a lot more than pee, all walking straight out without going near the sink or anything..disgusting..

Pee is not sterile..Pee is the waste product of you're kidneys flushing out waste and toxins from your blood/body and thats how you get rid of it..The other end of the spectrum, I guess you'll be saying fecial matter is sterile too, which people no doubt have on their hands after wiping themselves. Its not a case of they cant find the sinks, or dont have time, id say 99% its because they just cant be bothered..

I work in a supermarket, but the amount of staff alone I see who dont wash hands, or better yet, a couple (though not sure who) dont even wipe their backsides and will leave the toilet unflushed..and these people are handling food every day..

The human race can be pretty disgusting in general and theres really no need for it. People call me paranoid that I carry 2-3 bottles of anti bacterial hand gel around on me.

BO on a hot, crazy day can't always be helped, and i'll say I didnt notice that problem over the weekend. However on my coach home Monday, someone on there reeked of BO and it was actually rather sickening having to smell that for over 4hrs...on that occasion, whoever it was had no excuse..

Steve, I need to know where you work - just so I can avoid shopping there!

• Like 1