Press interviewing guests at signing tables

I'm really looking forward to next weekend. Just one point I'd like to raise, having been caught out a couple of times before.

Picture the scene, you've got a little bit of time before your next talk/photoshoot and there's only about 10 people in the queue for a signature you want. You're almost there, then the couple in front of you produce a video camera and microphone and start interviewing the guest. From past experience, these interviews can go on for 10-15 minutes.

What is Showmasters policy on press interviews at signing tables?

• Like 2

The rule is as stated on the website

If you require access to any of the celebrity guests in attendence please be aware, that while we will do our best to supply all reasonable access, sometimes access will not be possible due to personal preferences or time restraints.

Yes! I get caught like this at least once at every convention! I remember being at one where the guest looked ill at ease and didn't really seem to want to do it, but clearly to avoid a scene agreed and it went on and on and on...

I was seriously losing the will to live, so I can only imagine how the guest must have felt being on the receiving end of the Spanish inquisition!

It can be very annoying yes, just like being stuck behind a dealer at a sports guest getting 100 boxing gloves signed but it is allowed by Showmasters and we sadly have to deal with it.

Although I am sometimes caught behind it and it can irk me...I don't let it bother me too much. It's similar to those who moan and whinge about my Gold Pass benefits without really knowing that its a privilege that we pay for.

The interviews are allowed by Showmasters as far as I'm aware so it's more than fair for them to do them from that point of view.

Edited by jonathan

• Moderators

As the guests are pretty much signing throughout the day, there's not really that option. Therefore press are allowed to talk with crew members and at their discretion do it when it's a little quieter.

• Like 1

Ha ha - very good - I was hoping someone would pick up on the Python reference!

Incidentally, I should add though that the occurrence I was referring to, the interviewers weren't even press - just some Joe Bloggs who had his own website.

So, do the rules extend to non-press? If not, what's to stop anyone from bringing along a dictaphone and conducting an unofficial question and answer session?!

Normally I wouldn't really be so bothered but at this con, I've got a lot to see and do - something I have in common with, ooh 80,000 other visitors!

• Like 1

If it was not someone with an official press pass crew should have stopped them when a line started forming. My apologies if that didn't happen. If this happened repeatedly with the same "interviewer" then they likely had a press pass anyway. Press passes aren't only granted to print media and TV stations.

• Like 1

Wherever I stand in line be it at the back in the middle or about two other people away from the guests table at least one person would want to go THROUGH the line and its always right past me sometimes I get asked others just brush past in typical ignorant fashion.

Also I have been caught with press interviews and dealers who want 500 photos signed which TBH is pretty bloody annoying. But as per nothing can be done about it. Time is not on our side at the best of times at these events even more so now at this one where you got to be in two halls at the same time.

Still wont have to put up with it again after Sunday.....