Budget Problems

Help!

There are so many great guests I want to see this year, and I'd like to say that I appreciate all the work that Showmasters have put in to finding these fantastic guests!

I'm coming to London from Glasgow to come to LFCC, so I want to get lots of autographs since I'm making a 5/6 hour journey just to get there.

Only problem is, I'm currently unemployed and the cost of the trains, hotel etc. have left me skint! There are about 15 guests I want to see at the moment, but due to budget constraints I know I'll never be able to get them all.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend who would be great to see. I love Game of Thrones, so Lena and Pedro are definites, and I was also strongly considering Stan Lee since it's his last Europe signing.

Thanks in advance.

When I started going to these events I could only afford to meet maybe one person, sometimes two or three at a push. It's just a matter of asking yourself what's your favourite show/film that you'd like to meet people from.

While there's no guarantees, the GoT guests are always very popular and there's a fair chance they will be asked back in future. Also consider the age of the guests and how rare they are at appearing. I've missed quite a few over the years who've not been back but you just have to prioritise and accept you can't see them all. I've already cut my list by a lot and still looking at spending more than I originally intended thanks to Carrie being added and I've cut the GoT guests I've not already met and a few others I'll only get one auto from instead of the 2 or more I was looking at like Stan and Summer. But if I had the money I could probably spend twice what I'm considering as it's such a good lineup.

It's obviously the last appearance for Stan and he's like 91 so if you want to meet him, you won't get another chance in Europe. Edward James Olmos doesn't come over very often and is getting older so may cut back even further but Jamie Bamber spend a lot of time in the UK and will likely make another appearance somewhere before too long. Beyond that it's comes down to how much you can spend and who your real priorities are. No-one can make that decision for you.

I'm travelling down from Glasgow aswell with some mates, I'm currently going through my list to see who I definitely want to see.

I'd reccomended you write a list of who you want to see and how much they cost. After you've wrote your list tally up the cost. Say it comes to £500 but you have a budget of £100 or £200 etc go through that list and put a yes/maybe next to the guests that you really want to meet and a no next to ones that you are only writing down because would like to meet them! Then do the same again with your new list and repeat until you cut it down to people you really want to meet from shows etc that you are really interested in (game of thrones) this will let you set a good starting point and let you work within your budget.

Then if you have some extra cash with you on the day you could always meet a few of your maybe guests that you cut on a spur of the moment

On the Stan Lee note, it depends how you view his work and contribution to comics, tv, film etc..., if you don't read comics or like the marvel cinematic universe then I would say have a good think about it!

There is no point in meeting a guest just for the big name if their work is not something you enjoy, that £45 could go towards 2-3 guests that you really want to see!

Enjoy the con whatever your budget, take in some free talks if all your money is going on guests as they are a great insight into some peoples careers!

• Like 1

How about you list the 15 people you want to meet and perhaps give us your budget?

Ok, the guests I want to meet are:

• Lena Heady
  • Pedro Pascal
  • Ellie Kendrick
  • Ian Beattie
  • Gethin Anthony
  • Paul McGann
  • Carrie Fisher
  • Stan Lee
  • Kate Dickie
  • Kenny Baker

Maybe not 15, then. My budget would be around £150 and £200 at a push, but I wouldn't like to go beyond that. I don't know how much these guests total in at, but I think it's maybe about £300 or more. It might be worth noting that I'm only going on Sunday.

I have 19 20 if I include Carrie Fisher my budget is 320 but if I add Carrie wouldn't be able to afford her id say that's a crises

Wow, I'm looking 13 which would cost me £460 as getting more than one from some. Originally I was looking at around £350 but Carrie being added has thrown that out. And I could have another 9 on my wishlist if I wanted. Could be spending up to £780 if I got everything I'd like and that's not including the gold pass and 11 photoshoots. May still need to cut it down further but some I just don't want to miss.

How about you list the 15 people you want to meet and perhaps give us your budget?

Ok, the guests I want to meet are:

• Lena Heady
  • Pedro Pascal
  • Ellie Kendrick
  • Ian Beattie
  • Gethin Anthony
  • Paul McGann
  • Carrie Fisher
  • Stan Lee
  • Kate Dickie
  • Kenny Baker

Maybe not 15, then. My budget would be around £150 and £200 at a push, but I wouldn't like to go beyond that. I don't know how much these guests total in at, but I think it's maybe about £300 or more. It might be worth noting that I'm only going on Sunday.

One autograph from each of those would total £220

• Like 1

Well if this helps you could cut fro the list kenny baker and paul Mcgann because they are regulars but I would choose stan lee and carrie fisher because they are very rare and if you are a fan of them then definitely. Lena headey is a good guest but she was at london last year and collectormania a few years back so she would make an appearance again soon

• Like 1

No offence to Kenny but he's not getting any younger and while he is a regular guest I wouldn't risk putting him off until next time. Just in case.

Agree. I'm going to get him finally. Always been one of those I'll get next time but not putting it off any longer.

I reckon a lot of people are having challenging budget decisions this time around with so many great guests !

I would tend to agree with some of the other posters, whilst it might be tempting to get Stan as it is his last European appearance, if you are not particularly a fan of Marvel Movies, Comics etc then you may well be best to direct your funds elsewhere as you could well be able to pick up two, possibly three autos from others on your list for the price of one Stan.

My list has been even more of a movable feast this year and I've still not completely finalised it, although I have booked my photo shoots, I could still add one or two on the day depending on finances right up to the day.

Also think about whether autos or photos are more important to you as well.

• Moderators

What I always try to work out is who I'll regret missing. There are always loads that I think would be cool to meet, but I can never afford everyone, so I'll decide 'well, if I miss them will I mind too much?'

That normally helps, as a lot are just meets I'd do if money wasn't an issue, rather than must-meets.

Hey there!

The best advice I can give is mentally prioritise your top 5 guests and stick to them. Stan Lee & Carrie Fisher are 100% going to be the busiest guests, but it's £110 if you met the both of them so i'd say maybe choose 1, that way you don't completely skint yourself for other guests. Also, ask yourself if you REALLY want to meet them, because it's a s*** ton of money just to say" I've met Carrie Fisher", also they won't really be talking in depth to people since they're arriving a little later and have so much to get through, so if you're ok with just getting a signature then go for it ! The Game of Thrones peeps will be varied. Lena Headey and Pedro are there all weekend and it's £45 for the two of them ( I'm meeting them ;) ) so I would say make at least one of them a priority. Kate Dickie is like Michelle Fairley in which she rarely signs/attends fan events , so if you want to see her then I'd recommend that too. Everyone else is fair game and so it'll just be a case of whatever change you have left over or who else you want to meet.

So just for Stan,Carrie, Lena,Pedro and Kate..youre looking at £170, so maybe pick one big star of each..i.e Stan & Lena or whatever so you'll at least get half of what you want.

Another thing to do is assess the situation once you get there, e.g most of the GoT people will be sat next to each other, so you'll see who has the major queues and such.

At the end of the day, you yourself know who you're most eager to see, don't doubt yourself with it..but whatever you do..run straight up to the Virtual Ticket booth as soon as you get there, so at least you're guaranteed to meet the guests you want !

Best of luck !

:)

• Like 1