Help us to make Sheffield Film and Comic Con a really big first event

Basically, if Showmasters don't get a few more big name guests, then people will not attend. But they've already said that they won't take a chance as this is a first event for Sheffield, so its difficult to see how this event will get off the ground

Basically, if Showmasters don't get a few more big name guests, then people will not attend. But they've already said that they won't take a chance as this is a first event for Sheffield, so its difficult to see how this event will get off the ground

There will be a lot who would go just for the exhibitors and the con floor. I've met people (obviously locals) who went to LFCC not for the guests but for the stalls to see whats there to buy. Hopefully that brings in enough to warrant a second con and hopefully get more guests.

That said, SM is asking too much of it's fans by pushing the responsibility of getting bigger names on to us. We can only do so much with word of mouth without something to show and point at. We can't say "Yeah they are the ones who organise LFCC" because that creates the idea that SM puts in as much effort in getting quests for their non london shows (sorry SM but to be frank you don't) We would have to say "Yeah they are the ones who organise LFCC.... but we will never get a fraction of the big guest they get but you should totally come along anyway" as you can imagine, thats a big turn off.

Like I said before SM needs to take a leap of faith on this one and try to secure 2/3 big names at the very least instead of us taking the leap of faith that our word of mouth will allow SM to secure bigger names as I just don't want the con to arrive and have SM say (obviously in a nice way) that we are at fault for not getting big guests in because we couldn't get the word out and have more people pre-book as thats obviously not fair on us when we don't have much to work with.

Like I said before SM needs to take a leap of faith on this one and try to secure 2/3 big names at the very least instead of us taking the leap of faith that our word of mouth will allow SM to secure bigger names as I just don't want the con to arrive and have SM say (obviously in a nice way) that we are at fault for not getting big guests in because we couldn't get the word out and have more people pre-book as thats obviously not fair on us when we don't have much to work with.

Why should anything be our fault? We don't work for Showmasters, we're not being paid by them to provide PR.

This is their event, advertising is THEIR job, not ours! We are the customers, not staff!

TBH I can see both sides in the argument as I've got a potentially unusual situation of having been involved in shows as (1) a vendor, (2) an organiser, and (3) a normal punter.

Spreading the news of the event by word of mouth amongst your friends means that there's more potential of reaching those people who don't access the normal routes of advertising done by SM. I, for one, don't read any of the sci-fi mags and have never been a comic book fan. I also can't remember how I became aware of LFCC except by potentially having done an internet search for something and it happened to have popped up. That said when I was talking to the guy in work's post room about my tickets coming in the post for LFCC he mentioned this one because he'd seen something in the paper.

I can also see the argument for SM to bring in big name guests to attract visitors but then if it's not being advertised fully would anyone be aware of their attendance?

To make this a really big even, how about having the sort of people we would only see in London, such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher. The Cast of Firefly, John Hurt, Mr T T, Dwight Schultz.

I know this is Sheffield, but shouldn't the fourth biggest city in the country get big names too. come on Showmasters its not all just about London. The North exists too

Names that would make people WANT to go to Sheffield Film and Comic Con, because so far, there are no major names

To make this a really big even, how about having the sort of people we would only see in London, such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher. The Cast of Firefly, John Hurt, Mr T T, Dwight Schultz.

I know this is Sheffield, but shouldn't the fourth biggest city in the country get big names too. come on Showmasters its not all just about London. The North exists too

Names that would make people WANT to go to Sheffield Film and Comic Con, because so far, there are no major names

Sorry but what's the difference between Mr T/Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict?

I also think Carrie Fisher did London purely on the basis that they're currently filming Ep. 7 just outside.