Dave Scott attendance moved to April Autographica in London

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

Hello everyone

Due to an increase in Dave's busy workload and schedule we have had to move his attendance to the April 2015 Autographica in London on April 17th-19th at the Radisson in Heathrow.

Dave Phillips

Hi, Dave,

please now all forces on a Apollo highlight:

John Young (I think all Apollo-enthusiastic had this desire)

it is not easy, certainly not, but he would be a worthy highlight

Or Harrison Schmitt, Michael Collins, Ken Mattingly, Jim Lovell, Frank Borman...

Farmer,

In Dave Scott's absence, Ed Mitchell is still worthy of headline status in my opinion.

Although you might not go for 'any' Apollo astronaut, I would certainly value the efforts of any of the surviving legends making the trip in September. Not all of us have seen the 'same names', so the prospect of Charlie Duke, Al Worden, Richard Gordon e.t.c suits me very nicely.

As for the guys on your wish list, although I would love to see them too, they are all non-starters. Young & Collins don't do these events, Schmitt probably similar and as for Mattingly, if you were'nt at Pontefract in April, you've missed the opportunity there too. My idea of Apollo heaven would have been to meet Bill Anders. I saw him flying his Mustang in 1999 at the Mustang & Legends Airshow in Florida and even then he didn't put in an appearance at the autograph marquee.

So in essence, as long as there are astronauts (Apollo or not) in September, I will certainly be there.

• Like 1

You are correct, Ed is a truly giant name in modern history.

I however feel that colleting Apollo autographs with Showmasters is almost similar to joining a club. As soon as you get one, you’re in, and you’re then committed and therefore determined to complete the entire list before they all sadly pass.

Although I’ve never discussed this with any other Autographica fans, I’d assume that the majority who have started this journey – take advantage of the few opportunities that we get. Even if we can’t be there in person, there’s always the mail in service, or friends who’ll get them for you.

I therefore feel that with time now running out, the repeated names should be combined with a new or harder name, to keep both older and newer fans contented. As at these prices, I'd guess that sadly most of us can't afford to buy multiples of the same person.

Solely relying on (recent) repeated names could therefore be commercial suicide, as the demand (for the above reasons) would surely be far less.

Perhaps if there are some of the names on the list I quoted are totally non-negotiable at any price. Perhaps it’s time to think outside the box, and consider a mail in options or something similar.

Edited by farmer
  • Like 1

There's nothing in Upcoming Events about an Autographica at Heathrow in April. Is it somewhere else?

The April section will be added once the September event is over, sometimes a little earlier than that. Two Autographica sections at the same time will lead to confusion. The posted data are straight from Dave, so they are correct.

• Showmasters Admin

Hi Everyone

Having read all the posts on this forum it is quite clear we have two camps. The ones that have been with us for quite some time and the newbies who are just starting out.

Therein lies the problem. Collecting astronaut autographs is unlike any other collecting sphere. There are a finite number of moonwalkers and apollo astronauts that are available. Farmer is correct in that time is most certainly running out and in some cases has run out. A mail in signing is not an option as it does not allow you to meet the person and we will not move down that route.

Many of you have not yet met a number of "repeat" guests so are happy with those guests but some of you still crave new blood and we will of course continue to try for those elusive guests who have never been over.

I remember when we first started the show all those years back, Buzz aldrin was a guest who you would never see do an event, Same for Jim lovell and Jim Mcdivitt. There is a first time for everyone and we will continue to try.

One thing to remember for all you guys.

Time is against us so take every opportunity you can to meet these legends and pass those stories onto your children and grandchildren.

Dave Phillips

• Like 1

• Showmasters Admin

There's nothing in Upcoming Events about an Autographica at Heathrow in April. Is it somewhere else?

The next show is scheduled to be at Heathrow April 17th-19th 2015.

Dave Scott will headline so far.

Dave Phillips

Just to give it another angle.....

29 astronauts flew on Apollo 7-17.

9 have since died.

Of the 20 left the average age is 82 or 3. The youngest are 78. Incredibly (to me) people like Dick Gordon are going to be 85 this year.

Dave Scott has just turned 82. Ed Mitchell will be 84 just a few days before Birmingham.

I personally don't mind if it's the same names, as time isn't on the astronauts side anymore. Look at their ages. Buzz Aldrin 84. Jim Lovell 86. We have to enjoy them while we can because, and sorry to sound macabre, the sands of time are trickling.

This also struck me watching the recent d-day celebrations. All those old boys are in their 90's now. How many are going to be around in 10 years for the 80th anniversary? A handful? Any? When Milvena Dean came to autographica I think there were 4 Titanic survivors still alive worldwide. Then in the blink of an eye she was the only one left. I heard people say 'oh she doesn't really count, she was only a baby at the time', completely missing the point. She was on the Titanic, became the last survivor, then left us. We don't think about it, but time is relentless.

Make the most of any Apollo astronaut that comes along. There's 7 billion people on the planet. against 20 Apollo astronauts still alive. 20 against 7 billion! That's all there is, 20! It's a cheesy cliche but in years to come you'll be able to say you met a moonwalker, so take any chance you get, with whoever you can get, whilst that clock ticks away.....

Cheers

As I have already declared, any Apollo astronauts would be greatly received, but the man I would also like to meet is another Apollo legend that never even went into space,Eugene Kranz. I'm sure a lecture from him would be amazing, in addition to any signing.