What has your experience been like when attending LFCC alone?

I have travel from Belfast and have attended LFCC and Collectormania con's for a few years now on my own and I can honestly say, hand on my nerdy heart, that i have never felt "alone" ever! I have made numerous friends from attending the various shows, simply by talking to someone in a queue to having a chat in a small group.

For me, that is what keeps me coming back to these shows, not just the guests, but the chance to spend time with friends who i wouldn't have met otherwise. True, i may be quite a jovial chap, but then again, who isn;t when they have just met someone they have admired for years, or got a photogrpah and a smile from a hero of theirs.

I know that everyone may not be as "welcoming" as me, but in a hall full of thousands of like minded individuals, trust me in that you will never be "alone":)

I've been always alone since 2010 (wasnt there 2013). Its a little bit easier when I'm alone because when you're in a group i find it a bit difficult to organize meetings. I hate those talks "What should we do as next?" etc.

Of course Im happy to meet new friends or talk with guys while queueing... but sometime its boring to be alone.

Only 2012 at the Trekkie event I wasnt alone. And it stressed me really much. My partner came to late to breakfast, came to late to the event... booh

But well: it has pro and contras :thumbup:

• Like 1

I've never been to a comic con or gone on my own to an event as I am still quite young. However I have been to a Sherlock filming day (or as many call it, setlock) and I have to agree with everyone on here you will never be lonely. I met a lot of people on that day who shared a lot of similar interests as me and we had a great time, even if we did get a bit sunburnt. Just be open to talking to a lot of new people and you will definitely find some cool people to talk to at the con.

I've been going to these type of events (not just Showmasters) for years now and it's often the case that I'll be alone than with someone. Going alone has never bothered me because you're going to be surrounded by like minded people and if you're queuing up to meet some you can just turn to someone in the queue and strike up a conversation. You've got something in common to start with with the person you're meeting. After a few years you'll see familiar faces.

Of course it's nice being with friends at these shows but sometime I prefer to be alone especially if I've got a lot to do or lots of people to meet. I can do things at my pace and take a break when I want and not when somebody else wants to. That probably comes across cruel but it's not meant to be. It can be so much easier when you only have to worry about yourself & not the people you're with. :smile:

It will be my first time at LFCC and I'm going alone I'm use to doing stuff alone (recently done the Coronation Street tour) I was abit worried about LFCC as there will be actors/actresses I've not heard of but people on here said just go for what you want to see so I will go with the flow. I will be wearing a grey Back to the Future t shirt as it's my fav film ever :)

Welcome to LFCC, you will have a great time :) I just wonder why would you be worried about guests You don't know?

I Will also come alone, My first time ever in London to. Hope I find My way haha :)

Ooh how very exciting. Dont worry as long as you plan your journey you should be fine. If you get stuck and you're around earls court station just follow a cosplayer to the con. They will probably know where they are going. Unless its me.

• Like 1

I think it depends on your personality. None of my friends are into sci-fi/cons so I kinda have to go on my own. Personally I prefer to go alone anyway because I have the freedom to do exactly what I want, when I want. I tend to do other stuff during the weekend also (e.g. James Bond exhibition is on at London Film Museum and might be worth a look) so gives freedom to do this.

I do chat to the occasional person in a queue - but I'm not the most chatty person so tend not to initiate this. If you cosplay and you costume is cool people will chat to you a lot more (Or if you're a girl and your costume is skimpy ;-)

It is a bit boring after the shows in the hotel but that would be my only gripe. I normally buy plenty of comics to read.

As I'm sure others have said, you could find friends to meet up, with on the showmasters forums or other independent forums, if you prefer company.

I started off going to cons by myself but have made lots of friends since I really started going last year. I'm going by myself again this year but a number of people I know will be there and I know at least one guest knows me by name... I guess I'm building a reputation for myself! ;-) There's so much to see and do there that there's no danger of you feeling lonely! lol When I've gone with friends in the past, we usually split up and do our photo shoots, autos, etc. and then meet up later on.

People are generally very friendly and it's easy to make new friends - I'm not the loudest of people but often end up chatting to people either in queues or just around in general. We all have something in common at these things! If you see me - feel free to say hello! :-D

- G

I think gobo is right. It depends on your personality and some people aren't chatty people or they'd like to be but they don't like approaching strangers first. When you think of conventions I think the impression most noobies get is that everyone is really outgoing and talkative and everyone gets along but there's a lot of people who are just as excited to go to these shows but they do go alone or they are quiet by their nature. I know everyone says you'll get talking to people while you are queing and while this is true it can be lonely wandering around yourself all day and especially going to a hotel room alone at night. Then there is the autograpsh and photoshoots, if you're already a quiet person, that alone can be daunting even though you really want to meet them, it's a big thing to really get yourself in that frame of mind to go and meet this person that you really respect and like whereas for chatty people it means nothing, they can chat for ages to strangers. It's a big thing that a lot of people don't seem to notice.

Then again most people don't go alone to anything. Many people can't go to cinemas on their own, they can't go to concerts on their own. They always need someone there. the other side of it is if you don't go you miss out and life is too short to miss out on things. That's kind of when you can really relate to the guests that you are meeting because what they do, they do alone. They need to generate their own work as actors and writers and directors, it needs to be done alone. That's why they are successful, or millionaires and household names. You do it on your own, if you go through life waiting on others it just keeps you down, in all your cases it would mean you don't meet anyone or have any experiences but since you made the leap of faith now you have all these experiences and memories.

It's just by chance in a way that I'm going alone this year. I used to go with my girlfriend (we found out about these things when looking to see what was on), and last year a friend but she is due a new addition to her family around that time so can't make it this year (she vows to return though). But no way am I going to miss it! A lot of my mates can't afford the trip to London so will probably be heading to NFCC again next year. But for me, I'm treating it as a holiday and packing the weekend with as much fun as possible! I have friends down south so may see some. Doing stuff off your own back is character building I think, too.

Hi,

I usually go alone coz I like my own company. I don't get to worry about what my friends are upto. I can chat to people in a queue for a guest and know we have something in common.

Due to having Aspergers I can go at my own pace and leave when it gets too crowded or noisy!

Annaxxx

• Like 2