Printing your own 8x10s for autographs..

ok thats great, thanks alot for this info!! REALLY helpful!!

ill go through some pictures and look at that snapfish to have them printed then :)

thanks alot!!

thanks guys. would you say its better to use these rather then buy some photo printing paper and print them on a home printer?? would the quality for signing on be better?

DO NOT DO IT !!!!!!

Even modern home printers are NOT archive Safe and will fade over time. Its worth spending out a few quid to get photos printed via say Snapfish as they are done Optically and not via Ink Jet.

Optically means its all done by exposing photo paper to light like you used to do before digital and there for a Hellva lot safer for archiving.

Theres a big difference

I'm thinking about getting a screen grab printed online as a 10x8 but can anyone tell me what's the best way to get a good clear print? Don't want it to turn out like some I've seen where the original image wasn't big enough, and it looks out of focus as a 10x8, so what sort of size original image should I be looking for?

Geoff

For a 10x8 I'd go with something larger the 2MP - If you upload an image to the printing sites they will let you know if it's appreopriate for the size you want, you can preview and crop accordingly if necessary.

• Like 1

So how big is that in terms of KB, or pixels (height & width)?

Only suitable image I've found so far is 1280 x 720 pixels & 181KB in size. Would that be okay for a 10x8?

Geoff

Edited by Magpie Electricals

• Moderators

I think absolute minimum they recommend is about 900x720 or something like that. I quite often do fairly well out of google's 'search by image' function when I'm trying to find the biggest version of a photo I can.

Edited by etmuse

Pixels - If you go into google and search for whatever you want, one of the options is to refine the search by image size. Increase to either Greater then 2MP which is usually 1600 x 1200.

The greater the image the sharper the print, for some of the A4 ones I had done for multi-autos they were 12MP, but that may just be me... Upload it to snapfish, photbox or whoever you want and have a look to see if they recommend - Photobox say for a 10" it should be a minimum of 900 pixel to 3MP for the largest side... your '1280' may be enough.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Have searched with Google, using the 'greater than 2mp' but can't find the image I want, probably because what I want will have to be a screen cap, rather than a promo image. I'll try uploading what I've got & see how it goes.

Geoff

I've found a couple of suitable images, but I'm just wondering if the online printers will have a problem with the fact that it's a image taken from a BBC programme (Doctor Who)? Will they refuse to print it? Has anyone else had screencaps from TV programmes with/without problems from the online printer?

Geoff

I used to get yelled at when i had them printed in places in person. I just tell them it's for a young family member and they simply must meet this person and they can only do it today because we can't afford to go the other days and it's fine honestly..........i know you're only doing your job, it's ok, i just thought i'd take them out for the day that's all. It's my fault, i really should have asked for permission to use the photo and usually by that point they feel sorry for me enough to give me them.

Legally you are supposed to get permission from the owners but then again this is 2014. We all do plenty of things we aren't supposed to do.

I always take my own photos as I have been dissapointed with the ones on offer on some occasions. If the showmasters 8x10 turns out to be better than yours then you have only lost the £1-2 cost of printing your photo - better than being dissapointed. I would particulary consider this if you are a fan of a certain actor in one of their smaller roles and want that an anutograph from that show/movie (e.g. Dave Prowse in Clockwork Orange rather than as Darth Vader)

If you don't want to print your own there are normally 2-3 large stalls selling alternative 8x10s if you don't like the ones offered by showmasters.

If you do print I go for snapfish.com can prnt either matt or gloss but sharpie pens will stick to either so you dont have to go for matt finish.

I've only used a SM 10x8 about 4 times, when I had nothing else for the guest to sign, but in this case I need a particular screencap for Jemma Redgrave (& Ingrid Oliver when I get the chance) to sign, as I'm in the background of the shot.

Geoff

The greater the image the sharper the print, for some of the A4 ones I had done for multi-autos they were 12MP, but that may just be me... Upload it to snapfish, photbox or whoever you want and have a look to see if they recommend - Photobox say for a 10" it should be a minimum of 900 pixel to 3MP for the largest side... your '1280' may be enough.

Actually, if the resolution is too high, photos usually print out a lot darker as there is too much detail for good colour gradation. A resolution of 300 DPI is best for most photographs.

I don't use one site I just google the guest and go through the pics till there is one i like and has adequate resolution. You will come across sites with high res images doing this - many sites that offer desktop wall papers have high res images.

Does anyone know a site or where to download / buy high-res pictures (movies and tv shows) ?

Awesome thread, just found a nice image I'm going to get signed for a game :) was thinking about using the cover that comes with the game but the picture I've found is personal to the charactor and even includes a quote the file size is betwee 200kb - 400kb but I've checked and the resulution is about a recommended ammount when I checked on google just now.

I've used photobox in the past, not for 10x8 though just normal size prints. I've decided to give Snapfish a go, so the method of printing they use is it the same as those found on the tables next to guests?

Photobox wanted almost £5 just for one print, so I've gone for Snapfish and used the 33% code they have at the moment and the delivery was only £1.49 so I've ordered four in the end for £1.20 less than 1 would have cost. All the same picture mind but I had trouble getting it to fix 10x8 so I've done edits to see what works best.

Edited by GamerGraph