constructive criticism

I went to Collectormania for the first time (one day only) and has a fantastic time. The event wasn't too busy, I got their on time and the guests were all amazingly nice. All in all, I'm very happy with the event.

The only critique I have - and don't take it the wrong way, critique helps you improve the show - is that you should try and improve the quality of the photos. I don't mean those of the photoshoot (which look great), but those that the guests have at their tables. I've come across various photos that were quite blurry when you looked at them from close distance. For Deobia Oparei I was originally planning to get a Doom picture, but had to go for a Pirates one as the quality was rather low. He wasn't the only one to have a few pictures like that (Tim Barlow didn't even have one good one for example). Just saying :)

I know what you mean by the softness of some photos how ever some of them are, to me, Screen Grabs.

The way to sort this is to make the Image smaller with White Boarders and may be a Logo of the Film/Show how ever not every one likes this so you cant please everyone all the time lol.

Screen crabs can be done well if it's taken from a high quality source. I exclusive use 1080p screengrabs when printing photos for the guests I'm going to see and who have done more obscure work.

Perhaps I should start a business selling commissioned 8x10's? :poki:

• Moderators

Depends on what images are available. As they're given away free I doubt they're going to spend ages on high quality screen grabs really. They're just an option for something to get signed. Most are decent enough I find.

Depends on what images are available. As they're given away free I doubt they're going to spend ages on high quality screen grabs really. They're just an option for something to get signed. Most are decent enough I find.

As they're given away free I doubt they're going to spend ages on high quality screen grabs really....if that is the case why bother!!!!!! getting them printed

As they're given away free I doubt they're going to spend ages on high quality screen grabs really....if that is the case why bother!!!!!! getting them printed

Because if there's nothing there for the guest to sign they won't be selling many autographs! As a member of the crew who does sit with guests occasionally you'd be surprised how many of these screen grabs go. Not everyone gets dvd covers or posters signed and, after all, the photo itself doesn't cost you anything. As said above: if you want something specific it's always better to source it yourself rather than hope.

I now always take my own 10"x 8" photographs to be signed by the guests just in case the image I want isnt there on the desk. Had problems a number of years ago getting a Paul McGann on an Alien 3 shot (probably why I have met him so many time and have his signature on so many 'other' shots!) SO now I always bring my own, just in case :crying:

As quality goes, I normaly take the photos supplied by SM as they are a slightly better quality than what I can get my hands on. Saying that, I have left guests in the past due to a poor selection of 10" x 8"s :grump:

I know you're better off bringing your own if you really are looking for a specific role in a specific film. I didn't mind taking the Pirates of the Caribbean photo for Oparei (otherwise I would've taken a look at the photo dealers downstairs), I just think it's a bit of a pity for both the actors and the guests. I'm glad these photos are included in the price though, there are enough conventions that don't do that. But a quality convention like Showmasters, could use some more quality pictures in some instances ;)

Some events charge you additionally for photos and the quality is still poor, so at least these are included.

As others have said, always best to source your own images if you want a specific one or a particular quality one.

I know you're better off bringing your own if you really are looking for a specific role in a specific film. I didn't mind taking the Pirates of the Caribbean photo for Oparei (otherwise I would've taken a look at the photo dealers downstairs), I just think it's a bit of a pity for both the actors and the guests. I'm glad these photos are included in the price though, there are enough conventions that don't do that. But a quality convention like Showmasters, could use some more quality pictures in some instances ;)

You are always better off bringing your own stuff, I do, and for anyone that doesn't then I think they aren't that bothered about meeting X guest. There have been people in the past that I was going to meet until I saw the poor selection / quality of photo so I walked away. And if you can walk away then you are not that bothered about meeting them or you would have gone out of your way to have something specific to get signed. Some guests also bring their own photos as well as having them provided but this doesn't happen so much for the overseas guests in case they get stopped at the border.

Also, although it's just a slight distinction my OCD about such things wishes to point out that Collectormania is not a convention, it's a signing event. And most signing events I've been to do provide something to get signed.

You are always better off bringing your own stuff, I do, and for anyone that doesn't then I think they aren't that bothered about meeting X guest. There have been people in the past that I was going to meet until I saw the poor selection / quality of photo so I walked away. And if you can walk away then you are not that bothered about meeting them or you would have gone out of your way to have something specific to get signed. Some guests also bring their own photos as well as having them provided but this doesn't happen so much for the overseas guests in case they get stopped at the border.

Also, although it's just a slight distinction my OCD about such things wishes to point out that Collectormania is not a convention, it's a signing event. And most signing events I've been to do provide something to get signed.

Well, everyone has their own opinion but I've never walked away from a table because the photos were terrible. Going out of your way to get something specific, as you put it, doesn't make you more of a 'fan' (so to say). I don't because I'm already quite on budget when it comes to these events. I'm always very excited to meet quite a couple of guests and if I'd have to spend money on an item for each of them to sign (even if it's only 4 pounds for a photo), it'll quickly add up and I might have to drop a guest for something like that. I'd rather not get something specific and meet the 10 guests I wanted to meet or do get something and only meet 7 while having to drop others. Don't take it the wrong way, I know it sounds way more harsh than it's supposed to be but I kind of wanted to point that out.

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what the small difference is between a signing event and a convention? Is it the lack of Q&A's, because I find most other things represented on Collectormania are also on the London Film & Comic Conventions (dealers, photoshoots, ...)

Out of curiosity, I would like to know what the small difference is between a signing event and a convention? Is it the lack of Q&A's, because I find most other things represented on Collectormania are also on the London Film & Comic Conventions (dealers, photoshoots, ...)

With regards to SM/ME events the ME conventions are focussed on one show, in most cases, unlike the SM events. They have a much smaller number of attendees (up to 1000) and guests (normally 4-6). They are designed to be a three day event. The activities and pricing structure (higher, with no one day entries) reflects this. Only a handful of dealers are present.
  • Like 1

I agree that some of the quality is poor.

But it confuses me how some of them ever get printed. Surly you'd do a test print to make sure its suitable, before printing hundreds.

Many are poorly cropped, out of focus, or the source image is just too small for 8 x 10 photographs.

Why would anybody want any of those on their wall?.

As this was your first time to Collectormania, you probably weren't aware that you could take a long a photo (image within reason of course) to be signed.

I always take along my own photograph, which I usually find by doing a search and then filtering it by size so it's in ascending order by resolution. I then save it and upload it to www.snapfish.co.uk who charges 99p for 8*10 (far cheaper than buying a photo from the stalls who I'm guessing go through this process anyway).

The lesson from this for future conventions you may wish to go to is, if there is a guest you would like to see go to ebay to see if there is a unique item that could be signed or use the internet for images you like to sign.

As this was your first time to Collectormania, you probably weren't aware that you could take a long a photo (image within reason of course) to be signed.

I always take along my own photograph, which I usually find by doing a search and then filtering it by size so it's in ascending order by resolution. I then save it and upload it to www.snapfish.co.uk who charges 99p for 8*10 (far cheaper than buying a photo from the stalls who I'm guessing go through this process anyway).

The lesson from this for future conventions you may wish to go to is, if there is a guest you would like to see go to ebay to see if there is a unique item that could be signed or use the internet for images you like to sign.

Oh no, I've been doing conventions for I think 7 or 8 years or so but this was the first time I attended Collectormania (attended the two previous LFCCs for example). Does it ever get you in trouble? I know some conventions are very difficult and that they may refuse your photo as it's not 'official'.

Now ive started bringing my own stuff to get signed as I like x guest for somethig specific thats not always the most popular role. So rather than risk it etc. Also if you want to get multiple guests on a photo etc, its better to bring your own as a bigger photo is generally better han the 10x8 s showmasters have as it doesnt look so squashed. Also show masters tend to have solo shots only.

but generally before I started taking my own I thought the quality of showmasters 10x8s very pretty good. Thry eveh have posters on occasions c(flash gordon for sam jones and brian blessed last year). Of course there's going to be an odd dodgy one but with the selection each guest has thats a lot of photos to sort out.

I never really minded the slightly blurred photos. The reason they use those is because not all the roles the guests were in have a professional photo.

This weekend I got a screen grab picture of Jeff Kober, I was just glad they had a photo of his role in Buffy. Many of the guests had been in multiple roles and it is good to provide the biggest choice possible for customers. Screen grabs may be the only way to get photos for some roles.

I never really minded the slightly blurred photos. The reason they use those is because not all the roles the guests were in have a professional photo.

This weekend I got a screen grab picture of Jeff Kober, I was just glad they had a photo of his role in Buffy. Many of the guests had been in multiple roles and it is good to provide the biggest choice possible for customers. Screen grabs may be the only way to get photos for some roles.

There's nothing wrong with screen grabs, and if done correctly they can look great - with no blurriness, or faults at all.

Who ever does this for Showmasters needs extra practice, or there needs some serious quality control.

I'd rather not meet the guest, than have a horrible picture I can't display, or do anything with.

It's just something that needs improving.

Farmer is completely right. Some of the prints should not have been printed. What's the point in spending money on an auto and having it on a photo that looks blurry and pixelated. Some of these 8x10s are poorer than a dvd grab, they look like already compressed 500px images blown up to 8x10s!

Well, everyone has their own opinion but I've never walked away from a table because the photos were terrible. Going out of your way to get something specific, as you put it, doesn't make you more of a 'fan' (so to say). I don't because I'm already quite on budget when it comes to these events. I'm always very excited to meet quite a couple of guests and if I'd have to spend money on an item for each of them to sign (even if it's only 4 pounds for a photo), it'll quickly add up and I might have to drop a guest for something like that. I'd rather not get something specific and meet the 10 guests I wanted to meet or do get something and only meet 7 while having to drop others. Don't take it the wrong way, I know it sounds way more harsh than it's supposed to be but I kind of wanted to point that out.

I didn't say anything about being more of a fan by bringing your own stuff, it's about meeting the guest and value for money, because at the end of the day you are a paying customer and the object you take away with you should be of a decent quality!

Simple answer, conventions are residential events, signing events are weekend events like Collectormania & London Film & Comic Con! You pay a ticket price for a convention which includes other things , you only pay an entry fee for a weekend event.

Simple answer, conventions are residential events, signing events are weekend events like Collectormania & London Film & Comic Con! You pay a ticket price for a convention which includes other things , you only pay an entry fee for a weekend event.

Also conventions quite often centre on one particular genre or franchise - Such as Eternal Twilight, Chevron (Stargate), The Hub (Torchwood) etc.

If ya wanna be technical, they are all conventions just of different types:- (and before any comments, I have been attending cons of ALL types since the late 80s)

convention (kənˈvɛnʃən)

n
a. a large formal assembly of a group with common interests, such as a political party or trade union
b. the persons attending such an assemble