Parking Nightmare!

We arrived at the show on Friday morning at 9.30 am. There were plenty of stewards and signs directing us to the designated car park. We parked the car literally a few yards from the entrance and a great day was had.

However this was NOT the case on Saturday morning!! When we arrived at a similar time it was complete chaos to say the least!! There were no stewards to be seen, and the maze of roads leading to the car parking were bewildering beyond belief. After following what seemed to be the correct route to the car parking, we were led through a building site which turned out to be dead end!!!

We finally found a parking space off site, not from want of trying...and made it into the venue about an hour after arriving at the stadium. I think this needs to be addressed before any further chaos ensues and peoples weekends are ruined through bad organisation :thumbdown:

Apart from that, both my fiancé and I had a great weekend and we are very relieved that this incident did not sour our experience at this years show :thumbup:

• Like 2

Must agree, We followed the road round the stadium and al the entrance in to each car park was coned off, no stewards around absolute chaos. eventually saw a parking space and had to manoeuvre around the cones to get to it. All in all, unless it is for someone I really want to meet, I don't think I will be going back to Collectormania at the stadium.

The various under 16 football games on throughtout both saturday and today probably contributed a bit to the extra traffic on site. That said, I had no problems with parking on either day and I arrived around 9:30am on both. Today it was much quieter and I could park closer, but there were stewards about yesterday (on the side where gate 4 is). I think there were only a couple though, so if you came in whilst they were looking for a spaces you could end up driving around.

However, for those complaining they wouldn't come here again, you need to remember this is a football stadium and not a convention centre It has limited parking on site. There are, however, many free parking spaces in the surrounding industrial estates over the weekend (which those of us who live local and attend the football use). I guess SM may not know/promote this but if you look you will find it, and it is only a 5 minute walk to the stadium....hardly an inconvenience if you don't want to navigate the car park.

• Like 2

LOL!..the last time we went to that stadium more than half the car park was a building site!.. :thumbdown: it was the most horrendous place to park .. :crying: ....must have been 2 or 3 years ago...we've not been since...too much hassle at that Stadium every visit we've made....I used to love it when it was at the Shopping Centre though...never been the same for me since it moved....thankfully I can get up to London easily for the LFCC's though...

Edited by discodiva
  • Like 1

The various under 16 football games on throughtout both saturday and today probably contributed a bit to the extra traffic on site. That said, I had no problems with parking on either day and I arrived around 9:30am on both. Today it was much quieter and I could park closer, but there were stewards about yesterday (on the side where gate 4 is). I think there were only a couple though, so if you came in whilst they were looking for a spaces you could end up driving around.

However, for those complaining they wouldn't come here again, you need to remember this is a football stadium and not a convention centre It has limited parking on site. There are, however, many free parking spaces in the surrounding industrial estates over the weekend (which those of us who live local and attend the football use). I guess SM may not know/promote this but if you look you will find it, and it is only a 5 minute walk to the stadium....hardly an inconvenience if you don't want to navigate the car park.

Or... you can park at Asda....

I'm baffled by the complaints, what other event has a large amount of free parking? If you go to the Centre at Milton Keynes now, its pay and display almost anywhere and at the NEC its about £6 to park a half mile away!

• Like 1

No problems here, parked outside the main doors yesterday and today. Saying you won't come again coz you couldn't park is just daft. No where else that I can think of would even offer free entry and parking to start with.

• Like 2

The actual show was brilliant, the guests were friendly, and the queues/photo booths all staffed by polite, top-quality people.

But the parking was a shambles. I saw two parking stewards all day on Saturday. I arrived shortly before 10am and I just went into an area that was supposedly "reserved".

I laugh at people saying we shouldn't moan because entry is free, and that there are lots of spots on nearby industrial estates.

In the case of free parking, if the venue has somehow outgrown its usefulness, Showmasters should come up with an active strategy to get people into the show from other locations. Not a flaky/unreliable bus service.

In the case of spots on industrial estates etc, Showmasters need to do more to promote the alternatives - it's only good customer service. This would link into the strategy I just mentioned.

In closing, don't get me wrong. The show was amazing - and the concourse finally felt adequately temperatured. That's probably because it was boiling outside!!! I don't fancy another show there when it is freezing, now I have enjoyed a pleasant climate there!!!

• Like 1

No problems for me - arrived at 9:45 this morning and got parked right outside gate 5, with direction from stewards. Much better than going to events at the NEC (I'm from Bham) and having to pay to park and then walk for 10 mins to the building.

I'm baffled by the complaints, what other event has a large amount of free parking? If you go to the Centre at Milton Keynes now, its pay and display almost anywhere and at the NEC its about £6 to park a half mile away!

Lol..... £10 at the NEC now... has been for a couple of years.... They also removed free parking for disable badge holders as well.....

I laugh at people saying we shouldn't moan because entry is free, and that there are lots of spots on nearby industrial estates.

In the case of free parking, if the venue has somehow outgrown its usefulness, Showmasters should come up with an active strategy to get people into the show from other locations. Not a flaky/unreliable bus service.

You wouldn't expect free parking at Earls Court for LFCC would you? Or a free bus service from Kings Cross to the venue? You'd buy your underground/train ticket and make your own way there. So why do you expect any different here? There is ample free parking at the venue and around it (and you can always just google the parking situation at the stadium - the MK Dons website makes it clear where you can park around the venue - its just common sense to look it up yourself if you are driving and want to be sure of an area). As for the free buses - that is a bonus which SM are not obliged to provide considering there are paid for buses that come to the stadium frequently. They do this as a courtesy to try and make things a little easier for those who come into the train station.

People aren't happy unless they are complaining about something!

• Like 2

People complain too much.

I arrived at 8.45, there were enough stewards and signs saying "event car parking" to follow. So therefore I parked right outside of the main entrance and just had to walk a bit around the stadium to join the back of the queue.

Parking is FREE, the event is FREE to get in. What more do you want? Valets to park for you?

• Like 1

Got there at about 10:50 today and while it was pretty full, got parked straight away without problem. Plenty of signs to follow but having been going to the event since well before the move to the stadium, I know where I'm going. Guess if it's fairly new to you, where to go can be confusing but there are signs and it's not down to SM to tell people where to park. It's just lucky that there's quite a bit of free parking at this venue.

• Like 2

We arrived from South Wales at 10 o'clock following a 3 hour drive and were lucky enough to get a space outside Gate 5; the car park was pretty full however i did see a parking steward directing traffic.

I think the parking at the stadium is much better than parking at the MK Centre in previous years; my advice is to get there early and you should have no problems.

I agree it can look a bit daunting for first-timers when you're greeted by what looks like a jam-packed car park as you enter the stadium (and can't park in the hotel guests only-spot). However, there are signs directing attendees to the parking areas near Gate 5; I went to my usual spot near KFC circa 9:15 on Sat and 10:45 on Sun and had no trouble parking either time. I did see attendants around, so if one does have issues, I'm sure they could assist. I think we're lucky to have so much free parking available, personally.

OK, I get it, FREE parking is always good, BUT, free parking or not, you need a space to park your vehicle when you arrive at a venue. In my opinion the parking situation on the Saturday morning was chaotic at best and the only word I can use to describe it is shambolic!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NOT the kind of guy to moan for the sake of it, and I have been attending the Milton Keynes shows for many, many years and my experience with the parking on the Saturday would never put me off attending future shows. What did annoy me was the fact that I saw only ONE parking attendant (who was clueless may I add) and I ended up on what seemed to be a working building site at the back of the stadium with a dead end :crying:

All that said, once I eventually got inside and met the guests the frustration of the previous half hour seemed to melt away :smile: So, no, the parking situation did not spoil the Showmasters experience for me BUT I do think it is something that may need addressing in future events at Stadium MK, FREE or NOT!

Did none of you see the giant car park right next door at Asda? You know the one, could probably hold another stadiums worth of people

Parking at MK is better than at any event. You are complaining for the sake of complaining

I have no idea where we parked but it was fine not many spaces left but we had no issues with parking, was unsure if we had to pay but we didn't and got away with it so..

It was well sign posted even without staff but I think we may of parked not actually at the event parking in the end but it was close to it either way we didn't find it to be a pain and it was our first time at MK let alone at the event

It was a Sunday too so I suppose the fact that that day is usually less busy at these sorts of things probably helped too

Did none of you see the giant car park right next door at Asda? You know the one, could probably hold another stadiums worth of people

Parking at MK is better than at any event. You are complaining for the sake of complaining

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit my friend and I can assure you that I am not the kind of person who 'complains for the sake of complaining'!!!

There is nothing wrong with a bit on constructive criticism and I assume the SM forum is the place to do it.

You wouldn't expect free parking at Earls Court for LFCC would you? Or a free bus service from Kings Cross to the venue? You'd buy your underground/train ticket and make your own way there. So why do you expect any different here?

Because Earls Court is in Central London and is served by many, various and frequent forms of public transport; it's almost harder not to get there by public transport. Also, being in the midst of one of the world's major cities, there's a plethora of other stuff that I can do there if I need to kill time, or as an adjunct to my day out.

By contrast, the stadium at MK is rather out in the sticks, and I think reasonable parking/transport links are a fair inducement to get me to trek out to the back of not-quite-beyond. I wouldn't expect to have free parking at Earls Court, any more than I'd expect to pay £900k to buy a 2 bedroom flat about a six-iron away from the stadium at MK. It's horses for courses.

I'd be wary. Are there currently any restrictions upon using it? Asda probably paid a fair chunk of cash for that land, and some more to turn it into a carpark, maintain it and even pay public liability insurance on it. If it starts getting used by no end of folk who aren't their customers, they may start putting restrictions on it. There are several supermarkets round where I live that have either started slapping restrictions on use (fines for use by non-customers or long stayers) or charging for their use (the charge will be waived - if you spend at least a tenner in store) after significant use/abuse of the parking facilities by non-customers. One of these is an Asda.

I'd thus be careful about advocating widespread use of their carpark. (I also happen to think it's bad manners as well - would you like it if people parked on your drive at home just because you weren't using it?)

• Like 1

Last time I checked the Asda car park had a maximum 2hr parking time.

Exactly - everyone bashing car parking criticism is clearly happy to get a civil enforcement ticket through the post from Asda PLC.

Not me.

And I totally agree on the point that this venue is out in the sticks (relatively speaking), so more effort needs to be done to PROPERLY publicise on-site AND nearby parking options, with a shuttle bus as a backup from the station or MK shopping centre.

I also love the bitching about the NEC. It might cost a tenner to park, but you get a spot and they offer shuttles in to events.

If I had done my usual thing, getting there at 7.45am, I would have been fine. Problem this year was I had an engagement to meet half of the WWE touring roster the night before, so couldn't leave the location in question, until I had finished my "hobbying" there...so perhaps it is all my fault that I didn't get up at the crack of dawn as usual to assure myself of a parking spot *rolls eyes*

• Like 1