Please sign some more guests!

Ihartdrama

I'm actually currently really annoyed by the lack of announced guests.

Being told that we will find out when contracts are signed doesn't cut it at this point. Sign up some guests already!!!!!! We're paying customers, treat us with some respect.

I feel like massive events/show masters are taking the mick. We've paid for our tickets in good faith and expect guests! I booked right after Hallowhedon 5 based on how good it was. I'm beginning to regret it.

Sorry to moan but I'm really getting cheesed off. I want to be looking forward to the weekend not worrying if there will be any guests

Does anyone else feel like chanting 'why are we waiting?!'

Rant over. ;)

Unfortunately there is no guest supermarket where Mark goes in and tells the cashier: "I'd like Alyson Hannigan from aisle 2 for the Halloween weekend 2014 please." I wish it was that easy. I'd be a permanent visitor of the Stargate department then. ;)

It's not that Mark isn't trying. There will be guests. We have two and it's still over 5 months to go until the show. The usual number is 4 to 6. A lot of the Whedonverse guests are simply very busy bees and can't commit that early. Once we're up to four the last guests are announced in the weeks to the show usually.

• Like 2

Well there clearly should be a guest supermarket. Would madam/sir like to peruse the cryogenically frozen bodies of Wash and Shepherd Book? Or how about taking in the view of sky in the agents of Shield aisle?

I think that some of the grumble comes from Hallowhedon being later in the year so while other cons have their line ups announced earlier we are still months away. The downside is that quire a few people have bought tickets for earlier cons and won't be attending H6 which is a shame but perhaps, as Mark said at H4 it's time to open up to non Whedonverse guests as well (Brad Bell was a delight last year)?

The thing we're wondering is that they told people at HW5 (the Sunday, at the closing ceremony) that they'd have 4 guests announced BY CHRISTMAS...they told everyone this...while they were on-stage...some people (not us, we'd buy tickets regardless) bought tickets based on that announcement... they announced Danny Strong on-stage, Mark Metcalfe like 2 weeks afterwards and it's been a complete radio-silence on anything hallowhedon-related since Mid-November

We can understand how it's still a few months away, but we do understand where people's frustration comes from

ps: we know the whole "you shouldn't buy tickets based on guests and so on and so forth" but everyone knows the reality, for many people is different... and we also know how the whole contract-negotiation works ;)

Edited by twinzz

• 2 weeks later...

Yes anything would be good even a party theme, how difficult is it to give that for Fri/Sun at least then people can start looking for ideas which can take time to construct which would then bring some kind of buzz back to this forum.

Last year we thought things were finally improving with most guests in place early along with party themes and people booked early. This year we are back to the frustration seen in previous years and now some are already saying they are booking other things instead. You really need to have things in place long before now well at lease most of them and ME have been told this so many times before. As the Twinzz have said we were told there would be 4 guests by xmas so this is worrying to have silence for so long.

Come on ME we love these events but lets get the buzz going for this event again and at least tell us you are working on something for us and will have some news shortly.

Edited by buffy2k

• 2 weeks later...

This thread is very similar to the ones that used to spring up for the True Blood events. I completely understand the original posters point and get how frustrating it is to see guests announced for every event but the one you've booked for, and I also get that the organisers can only announce guests when the contract is 100% signed and they have permission to do so. Really the issue is about managing people's expectations. Announcements like '4 guests by Christmas' are actually counter-productive as when it doesn't happen people get frustrated. Surely it's better to just announced when guests are signed up than give people false hope that they will know 60% of the line up that far in advance. Of course the other argument is that announcing guests early is no guarantee they will still be available for the event when it gets nearer the time! Guest cancellations are common, and so by actually not confirming the line up auntil nearer the event there is a greater chance that the guests know their availablity and will actually make it.

• Like 1

The problem is this thread is similar to the True Blood cons because ME clearly either a. can't get anyone or b. don't really want to run it. Just look at last year - they got guests so people bought tickets and people even paid extra for Alexis because he was a sponsored guest. So there is a fanbase for this. The problem is people won't buy tickets when you only have two guests announced for it, and even though they are great guests, I don't consider them to be main cast. It also seems that in the wake of LFCC this is just getting pushed to the side which also doesn't help because the later it's left the more people that won't commit to it because people need to book holidays and travel etc. The only thing I do know is I'm getting pretty fed up of guests being announced for Chevron which is NEXT YEAR when HW needs more guests!

• Like 1

This thread is very similar to the ones that used to spring up for the True Blood events. I completely understand the original posters point and get how frustrating it is to see guests announced for every event but the one you've booked for, and I also get that the organisers can only announce guests when the contract is 100% signed and they have permission to do so. Really the issue is about managing people's expectations. Announcements like '4 guests by Christmas' are actually counter-productive as when it doesn't happen people get frustrated. Surely it's better to just announced when guests are signed up than give people false hope that they will know 60% of the line up that far in advance. Of course the other argument is that announcing guests early is no guarantee they will still be available for the event when it gets nearer the time! Guest cancellations are common, and so by actually not confirming the line up auntil nearer the event there is a greater chance that the guests know their availablity and will actually make it.

thing is...at HW5, they didn't only say "4 guests by christmas" (which isn't a neccesity) but also "create a buzz and brign an extra person"...how can we be expected to create a buzz and convince others to come along if there's 7 months of complete radio silence? (first time con-goers, perhaps?)

we don't mind that they don't have 4 guests by christmas...the only thing that bothers us is that there has been absolutly...nothing, zero

no communication, no hint of the fact anything's being organized at all (yes, we know they are - but paying customers would like to see something happen here)

how does radio silence implore people to buy tickets?

announcing something - a theme... perhaps does not take months of preparation

• Like 1

Totally agreed we had the first 4 HW (3 of which) were organised late and every thread was talking of the lack of communication, guests, updates etc. By the time we got to HW4 everything was so late we only had 3 guests and nothing seems to have been organised till days before, then we lost a guest who was not replaced (when I am sure between the 4 shows someone could have been found, and why was there no plan in place for cancellations anyway?)as it turned out the guests as well as Kristines husband John Pankow were awesome and it all worked out on the day luckily but nos were already down through lack of updates, guests, etc. then last year as if by magic everything was so on the ball as it should be, we had themes and most guests early and good nos so we thought the message had finally got through.

This year it seems we are back to the same old which frankly is not good enough when some people have paid last October for this event, we know guests are attending other events so that cant be the problem, in fact a good few are attending the other similar themed event & that organiser doesn't seem to have any probs signing them up early, and can get last minute replacements if need be as well.

It does seem that with Showmasters going more and more into the conveyer belt signings and less for the conventions we are starting to feel less important, we love this event and the fanbase is loyal but this attitude is not helpful and does not sell tickets either.

As we said before numerous times there should be separate people in charge of the con side so there is someone on the ball and not fully occupied with the signing days so we are not forgotton til its too late.

I am sure by now party themes for Friday and Sunday could have been announced how long does that take all of 10 mins to decide?. This does need looking at if its to succeed you cannot expect people to book when we have just 2 guests and no updates for 7 months. Events are expensive with hotels etc, the days of people booking based on the theme alone are over for all events you need to secure a good no of guests and have things in place early now to sell tickets.

It would be nice if someone in charge can tell us something as silence is definitely not golden!

Edited by buffy2k
  • Like 2

This is true - I'm waiting to see who else might come but currently there are three whedonverse actors going to LFCC so obviously they are keen to do events.

We actually had more people announced at Chervon for their next event than is signed for this event

(I've posted this in the 'Which guests would you like to see...' thread as well)

I took to the twitterverse last night and Miracle Laurie, Enver Gjokaj (both of Dollhouse and are awesome) and JAMES C Leary would all love to come to Hallowhedon 6. Please please please get in touch with them and invite them!!

• Like 1

Possibly, but if that is the case the ME really need to break the deadlock and sign someone (or ideally more than one more guest) otherwise this could be the last HW as people are getting annoyed at the lack of communication. Even if we had the party themes announced that would help to create some buzz and we could start to organise our costumes.

My real worry is that the event will end up being cancelled at the last minute. As I need to take annual leave to do these events, and I decided last year to come this time - I bought my ticket at HW5 - my fear is that I'll book my flights and end up with nowhere to go that weekend and it being too late to organise something else.

I really hope that won't end up being the case as I love coming to these cons, and I was happy to support them by buying my ticket at the con last year as I really want to come. However this is the last time I'll do that as hearing nothing for months does not inspire confidence in me at all.

Hallowhedon is a really fun weekend and I really look forward to it all year. Like Mort says, even party themes, something to keep us going would be good. Hearing nothing is just annoying a lot of us and others will end up booking other things to go to instead. I can't help but think the organisers are shooting themselves in the foot by maintaining radio silence.

We aren't asking for a lot, just something would be good at this point.

• Like 2

I started this thread and then was so irritated by the response by Queen-Sindel that I haven't been back on it since! One of the reasons I had my rant was that the response to people asking about when guests will be announced has been akin to a parent answering a nagging child. Which I find really rude as we are enthusiastic fans and paying customers, not bothersome kids asking 'are we there yet?' I don't appreciate being patronised with responses about there not being a supermarket for Whedonverse actors. I am reassured that others are frustrated and it's not just me being unreasonable. I am just upset that instead of looking forward to the event, like others on this thread, I'm worried it will be cancelled or a damp squib. Also as has been said above, it's radio silence or snarky responses that makes it worse. Well done Mort for being proactive, now let's hope ME take your lead...

I hate being a moanie Minnie about this :( I just want to have a fun weekend!

Edited by Ihartdrama

After seeing the way the Bitten cons went I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens to Hallowhedon, it does seem that the focus is on the signing events and the weekend cons get pushed to the side and forgotten about!

Either give up with them altogether and focus on signing events or give each event equal focus, it's not going to help sell tickets when you only have 2 guests and no communication from the organisers when people are asking questions as to what's happening.

I'm really sorry if I came across as snarky, that most certainly wasn't my intention. You only have a handful of posts and your registration was not very old either. We very often do have new attendees on here who are not used to the way things are being run yet. I was trying to explain how it worked in a funny way. Internet humour sometimes can be a dangerous thing.

I can't really say more than that besides that to the best of my knowledge the event is in no danger whatsoever of being canceled and certainly hasn't been forgotten about. Mark and Jason are trying. When they made the original announcement on stage they were trying to share their enthusiasm about ongoing negotiations as much as they could. Unfortunately it's pretty obvious at the moment things turned out differently than they expected at that point.

I've only been to the last 2 Hallowhedon's and they were great. I didn't know what to expect at 4 and was delighted to meet the guests and enjoyed their talks. Last year was even more impressive and we had a full line up of guests early which combined with the radio silence has led to some booking other events, which is a real shame. Personally if we had the themes for the parties that would be a great help as it's only a few months away and costumes have to be bought/made.

I don't think anyone is of the opinion that you aren't working to get guests but a quick nod to the forums letting us know that negotiate are ongoing etc would help ease the tension somewhat.

@ihartdrama its simply a case of an Orcadian rediscovering his twitter account lol. Would be really cool to meet Miracle and Enver though....

It's always been that way that ME are keeping on working "behind the forum scene" so to speak and don't give updates on the state of contract negotiations.

In case you are following the signing shows areas you probably have noticed those "guest announcement on Friday" topics. Even those were stopped for a little bit after in one case the negotiations had gone so far that SM were only waiting for the signed contract. Everything was finalized, but the contract copy hadn't arrived. Things took a little longer, there were some not so nice comments made on the forum which the guest caught and due to that withdrew from the show. That's one of the reasons why announcements are really only made after the ink is dry. The only reason why this "before Christmas" announcement was made is because Mark and Jason are fans like you and got carried away after seeing everyone happy at the last show.

It's the moderators job to look after the forum, so I was really trying to give everyone a heads up in my first post already. We're here on behalf of ME. I remember the one time Mark asked me to make a guest announcement cause he couldn't get on the forum and at first some attendees thought it was a joke post because the post was not made by Mark. :lol: Maybe next time I should send TooTall over. He seems to leave the more official impression than me. ;)

Queen_Sindel thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it. I was at Hallowhedon 5 and had a wicked time, which is why I snapped up my ticket this year. I guess I was spoilt last year as the guest announcements were done so early and I only had that to compare to...

I certainly don't want to make any one feel crap or come across as a troublemaker, so i hope thats not the case, it's born out of frustration and obviously, from your explanation, the dangers of interpreting the tone of online text. For me personally, i just really appreciate a proper explanation as to what's going on and why, so thank you for giving us one.I think what others are saying sums it up, that really we are all chomping at the bit for some news!

Mort, that's hilarious, I hadn't clocked it was you ha ha! I really got to stop being such a moanie Minnie now! You're on to me ;)

In the past the mods often got complaints when we tried to explain what was happening. "You sound like a broken record." Well that's because the system stays the same. So I tried to make it sound less boring. Which backfired. Thank you for understanding.

We're all waiting for news, believe me on that. Some of the mods are huge Whedon fans too. In the last years I always had personal stuff that kept me away from Hallowhedon - the year has 52 weeks, and my best friend had to choose the Hallowhedon Saturday to get married last year >< - but I am really hoping I can make it this year.