any tips for a first timer :-)

* bring something rigid and compact to carry your photos and autographs.

* rucksacks can be annoying and a burden as some areas are extremely busy, especially the walkways between stalls.

* don't plan your day on the day. Download the map and schedule in advance.

* get tickets early, especially for talks as they tend to sell out pretty quickly.

* pick and choose your favourite talks. Although most talks are free, I've seen situations where the queuing begins up to an hour before the event. You likely won't be able to stroll from one event and right into another (unless your Silver/Gold pass).

* don't be shy! During talks there's often a shortage of people raising their hands to ask the guest a question (especially if they're not well known). I usually do some light Internet browsing on the guest before the talk begins and figure out what I'd like to ask.

* get a hotel nearby if possible! Especialy if you plan on buying merchandise. You'll hate carrying that stuff around such a busy venue.

• Like 2

has anyone got any tips for someone who's slightly nervous but excited about going to the LFCC 2014 :-) thank you xx

dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but bring something to store your photos and autos. . I use Rymans A4 display book folders as they are safe for ink from autographs and keeps them nice :smile:

• Like 1

If for some reason you do forget or misplace your storage then 'Frank's Autographs' has some storage solutions, they always have a stall at every SM event - And just so it doesn't seem like i'm advertising them

"Other storage solution providers may be available"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

was thinking about taking my 4 yr old who is already a big star wars and marvel fan, but in all honesty, how hard would it be? I've never been to a convention. we could go any day or time and at most he'd probably just enjoy soaking in the costumes and atmosphere, perhaps an auto or photo from ian mcdermid or dave prowse. not that he'd fully appreciate it now, but one day. any genuine thoughts/recommendations?

....oh and hello!

My boy is a lot older now, but if I was taking him for the first time when he was that small, I think I'd plan to go Sunday. I wouldn't do the earlybird, as the queueing at the beginning can be long, and I'd avoid Saturday as the busiest day. If you want any autographs, I'd order them online (entry tickets, too), to take any stress out of the day.

I'd really encourage you to let him dress up, if he likes it. Small children's cosplay = ADORABLE, plus (as my kid finds, although he's a lot older), it's an easy entry into having your photo taken with other cosplayers you like the look of.

Have fun! Don't spend too much on adorable geeky t-shirts for your kid in the trading area! (Been there, done that.)

• Like 2

My boy is a lot older now, but if I was taking him for the first time when he was that small, I think I'd plan to go Sunday. I wouldn't do the earlybird, as the queueing at the beginning can be long, and I'd avoid Saturday as the busiest day. If you want any autographs, I'd order them online (entry tickets, too), to take any stress out of the day.

I'd really encourage you to let him dress up, if he likes it. Small children's cosplay = ADORABLE, plus (as my kid finds, although he's a lot older), it's an easy entry into having your photo taken with other cosplayers you like the look of.

Have fun! Don't spend too much on adorable geeky t-shirts for your kid in the trading area! (Been there, done that.)

thanks, after reading some comments above I came to the same conclusion. first conference, no pressure for autos/photos just have fun, although he idolises Bobba Fett, so we'll see. for what it's worth he has a cool clone trooper outfit with pads etc.......will wait for the first "you're a bit small to be a stormtrooper" comments :)

Edited by dannyboy321

I'm just echoing what everyone else has said really.

1. Wear something comfortable - it's a long day with a lot of walking around, you'll be surprised how tired and achey you are at the end of the day.

2. Don't go crazy with photos and autos - most people attend regularly - pick a small handful of your favourites and savour the time otherwise you'll be running around like a headless chicken and won't have time to relax.

3. Get virtual queue tickets as soon as you can. On occasion... even if you have a very bottom end number, if the queue is short earlier on, you may be allowed to join that one :)

4. Don't be shy with the guests you're meeting. Unfortunately, due to popular demand, you really don't get much time with them, especially with the photo ops - make the most of it - it might only be a matter of seconds.

5. Don't be afraid to ask cosplayers for a picture with them - they're generally more than happy to oblige.

6. I suggest taking food and water and making time to eat. It gets SUPER warm in there at the busier points in the day - the food stalls can also be expensive and are small and busy so always worth being prepared.

7. Take some cash with you - you're bound to see something on the many stalls that you want to purchase.

8. Take a folder, or a hardback large envelope... SOMETHING to put your photos/autos/drawings/pictures you purchase in and protect them. I didn't even think about this the first time I attended and I was carrying my Norman Reedus photo around in my hands all day! That was fun...

9. Have fun :)