Best way to get the most out of Stan Lee?

We've all been there at one of these, get to the front of the queue, your chance to meet and idol you've been looking forward to for ages, so many things going through your mind of what to ask, then suddenly your mind goes blank...

So the question is, mainly for any that have met him before, what sort of things have you asked him and got good responses for, or what do you plan to ask?

Just a gentle warning: Stan is going to be extremely busy. It is more than likely you'll not get the chance for a longer conversation or him answering a question with a longer answer in the autograph line. If you have a question that's been on your mind forever your best bet is getting a ticket for the talk and trying there.

• Like 1

Due to the likely volumes, I anticipate one of those impersonal signing events where your items get taken off you by his minders on one side, passed along to him and by the time you get in front of Stan your item has been passed along to his minders on the other side, so you'll be lucky to even say "Hi Stan!" before you're pushed out of the queue!

Hope I'm wrong but, excuse the pun "my spider sense is tingling"!

Yes probably that is the thing here. Its great and all very well to have these guest announcements but when it becomes production line time you think what just happened then? I still feel like i haven't met john simm Norman reedus Alex Kingston Gillian Anderson Jeri Ryan so god knows what its going to be like when i meet sorry i mean see Natalie dormer and the emperor

• Moderators

Due to the likely volumes, I anticipate one of those impersonal signing events where your items get taken off you by his minders on one side, passed along to him and by the time you get in front of Stan your item has been passed along to his minders on the other side, so you'll be lucky to even say "Hi Stan!" before you're pushed out of the queue!

The busiest guests at recent events have had special queues that have been organised far better, and allowed for a very short interaction. Not a production line or items being taken etc.

• Like 2

The busiest guests at recent events have had special queues that have been organised far better, and allowed for a very short interaction. Not a production line or items being taken etc.

Certainly the experience with David Hasselhoff and Norman Reedus last year felt much better.

• Like 1

I think when it comes to guests of the likes of Stan we need to just be grateful to be in the same room as him...I don't think anyone is expecting a 5 minute chat with him. I'm happy just for someone like him to look up and smile as I get there, maybe a "thanks for coming" if I'm lucky too :smile:

I'd recommend to go late on Friday evening. The more busier guests would have smaller queues by then and you'd have time for a chat and even a photo. Happened to me with Norman Reedus.

I plan to go on Friday as well for that same reason. I can usually get most of the autographs I'm after because it's not quite as busy. I think all the queue were open last year as well on the Friday. I'd be surprised if it's like that this year but I would think a lot will be open queues that might not on the Sat and Sun.

I've only ever expereinced the production line thing with Shatner...... had good experiences with other 'big' guests like Hasselhoff, Norman Reedus, Gillian Anderson, Jenna Coleman, Bille Piper, Mike Tyson etc etc so I'm optimistic that it won't be too bad but I doubt there'll be time for him to do any sketches or doodles sadly

Personally I don't think I will be able to utter anything in Stan's presence...Maybe a stupid cheesy grin...That is all. This is going to be such an awesome experience!

See this is why I love having my mum come down with me, she will talk to anyone with no fear at all, me I blush and go bright red and turn into a blithering idiot, so I usually make her go ahead of me in the queue spark up the conversation and I join in once I've calmed down a bit, she gets her stuff signed and the guest usually ends up carrying on chatting to me as she's waiting for me to finish up, she's a brill icebreaker :D

• Moderators

I've only ever expereinced the production line thing with Shatner...... had good experiences with other 'big' guests like Hasselhoff, Norman Reedus, Gillian Anderson, Jenna Coleman, Bille Piper, Mike Tyson etc etc so I'm optimistic that it won't be too bad but I doubt there'll be time for him to do any sketches or doodles sadly

Have to echo this, all of the "bigger" guests I've had really positive experiences with and not felt ridiculously rushed

See this is why I love having my mum come down with me, she will talk to anyone with no fear at all, me I blush and go bright red and turn into a blithering idiot, so I usually make her go ahead of me in the queue spark up the conversation and I join in once I've calmed down a bit, she gets her stuff signed and the guest usually ends up carrying on chatting to me as she's waiting for me to finish up, she's a brill icebreaker :D

Do you hire her out? could do with an icebreaker myself... Can only go so far with asking them how much a wolly mammoth weighs?

no...me neither, but it's just enough to break the ice :no:

• Like 1

You wont know till you get there and see how it is. If luck is on your side, then your VT ticket will allow you to get in line while he is at his photoshoots, try and be one of the first he sees when he gets back, ask him how it went,how he is doing, if he is enjoying the UK, if it's not a cattle line and you're allowed to breath the same air as him and hand him your item, tell him you're a fan of him and whatever it is you are handing him to sign. Don't be scared to talk to the guests. They might be so stressed that they don't look up at you or engage with you but that's not your fault. Everyone has different experiences with guests and the unfortunate thing is you will never know until you see them yourself. No one really knows until the days although Friday is usually the best time to catch any guest, especially if you are willing to stick around till the end.

I hope we're allowed to take pictures of Stan signing our items? I'm not too bothered about getting a picture with me and him (especially as his photoshoots have sold out and I know he won't be doing over-the-table photos) but will we be allowed to take pictures of him signing our items?

That won't be known until the day, sorry. The situation can even change on the day. You can ask before getting in line, but normally there should be a sign.

• Like 1

I hope we're allowed to take pictures of Stan signing our items? I'm not too bothered about getting a picture with me and him (especially as his photoshoots have sold out and I know he won't be doing over-the-table photos) but will we be allowed to take pictures of him signing our items?

That won't be known until the day, sorry. The situation can even change on the day. You can ask before getting in line, but normally there should be a sign.

Ok, thanks for the help. :smile:

Really looking forward to meeting the awesomeness that is Stan Lee, but my sister scared me at the weekend by telling me Stan is sold out. I'm assuming she meant photoshoots rather than autos, but can someone please say for sure?

Really looking forward to meeting the awesomeness that is Stan Lee, but my sister scared me at the weekend by telling me Stan is sold out. I'm assuming she meant photoshoots rather than autos, but can someone please say for sure?

Autos are purchased on day!

Autos are purchased on day!

Thanks, thought so :smile:

I am so going to kick her backside for scaring me.

Similar to Evander Hollyfield but still worth it.

I have no idea what to expect with Stan, but with Gillian Anderson I remember she looked up, smiled and said "We've met before, how are you?" Which was great. I had a little bit of interaction with Jeri Ryan too. David Hasselhoff did speak quite a bit to me, because first of all I'd put together a collage for him to sign consisting of several first season Baywatch photos surrounding the two photo-shoot pictures I'd had done with him, and in addition to that, I was wearing my LA County Lifeguard jacket and carrying his rescue can that was used in the show, so he took time to engage in conversation about both... which made me feel a bit Baywatch-geeklike lol but it was nice at the same time ;-)

Edited by SilvaNemesis