Sign in to follow this  
ST973

Autographs/chat

I was wondering if somebody could help me on the topic of autographs. I hear people say that they have talked with some of the actors after they have gottten their autograph. It sounds very interesting and fun. Feeling jealous, lol. I would like to do do that also (at the next convention), but I have one problem: I am shy. :-( I would probably be very nervous and maybe I won't be able to come up with anything to say, but I want to challenge myself.

How has your experiences with the actors been?

Are they easy to talk to?

When do you know when to "say goodbye"? Is it up to you, or does someone call up the next one?If not, how long have you talked to them? (I'm aware that the most popular guests are most busy)

I want to try this at least once in my lifetime, with my favourite, of course! :-)

yes, most popular are the most busy. its difficult to expect some really relaxed and bit longer talk if queue is HUGE behind you.

however, it also depends on you and your approach. each guest will be more intrigued if you approach them with something interesting and different than most fans. for example I had really nice chat with Karl Urban but mainly cause I brought with me a Dredd helmet that I made myself in order for him to sign. With Tim Russ I had an amazing talk about music, same with Casey Biggs and Vaughn Armstrong. With Armin Shimerman, Rene Auberjonois and Jeffrey Combs I also had "longer" talk than most as well, but thats also due to the fact the lines in front of their tables where small and they seemed to be willing to talk a lot :)

Well, I'm also very shy and still kick my ass everyday, that I didn't prepare some questions. But none of the guests bit me. They were all very kind. My hands were shaking like hell, so Connor just laughed and tried to help me get a bit more relaxed (didn't help much to be honest, but nice of him that he tried).

I took even took my chances to go to my favs again to say goodbye in the evening as they sat there without anyone else around.

When there is no queue you can talk to the guest as long as you feel comfortable. You gonna feel when it's enough. Just prepare a "start question" and the rest will follow. Don't worry too much!

If you and I are both going to attend the next DST maybe we could meet and be shy toghether in front of the guests.

Edited by Jumanji

Thanks for the advice, both of you. I'm even more eager to talk to them now. :-)

It would be nice to meet you there, Jumanji. I imagine it's easier to be with someone there than to be all alone. It sounds fun. :-)

dont worry about that, lot of people also come alone to conventions and its pretty much easy to start conversation with anyone and have few new buddies to spend time with during those 3 days :)

So let's see when and where we'll have DST3. And then we'll team up and rock the house. Days to remember.

It certainly can be quite daunting , but very exciting meeting some of your favourite TV and Movie stars, but don't forget they are only human. Always approach them with a smile, ask them how they are, then perhaps ask them about a particular favourite episode of yours that they have been in, or something else that you have read about them. If the queues are busy, then chances are you'll only get a quick reply, but sometimes later in the day some of the guests can be a little quieter and you may get a bit more time to speak with them. It's amazing some of the things that you find out !

• Like 1

I've met Scott Bakula on DST in London , and that was my second "encounter" with him, so I was a bit more less shy ( even if my heart was beating like a mad !!!).

Some days before the DSTL convention was Scott's birthday, so I brought him a little gift and I took the opportunity to give it when it was my turn at the Autograph session table. Scott shook my hand , asked me where I come from and then, when I gave him the gift, he thanked me so genuenly pleased to recieve a surprise. He signed the picture of Archer I gave him and to leave him with a nice phrase, I wished him to have a pleasant flight to his home. Scott thanked me and , looking at my ENTERPRISE CAST shirt I was wearing that day, he told me, smiling, " Nice shirt!". :smile:

As GoldGreen said, actors are human, so, a smile and a sincere and respectful admiration are the best way to introduce yourself to them.

Hmm... A lot of good ideas and amazing stories of your experiences. I have certainly gotten a lot to think about. I'll remember to smile, even though it's sometimes difficult when you're shy and nervous. :)

I also had a short chat with Rene Auberjonois that I started with my being a fan of Boston Legal. I think he liked that fans also enjoy some non-Trek stuff. For Gates McFadden I was not prepared, because it was a spontaneous decision. When she asked me what I did and I replied that I was a doctor, we had something to talk about. I really liked that conversation.