Photo and Autograph

col2379

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Summer Glau photo session ticket and I have a number that says 115.

Hopefully I will reach the venue for around 8am-8.30am. First thing to do will be queue to get my VT tickets. Probably 3 or 4 that I want.

However, the only photo session is the Summer Glau one. What I want to do is have the photo session first and then later when I go to get the Summer Glau autograph I will ask her to sign the photo session photo.

But what if I go to get the VT ticket and the Summer Glau autograph is before the photo session?

I suppose I will have to take along a photo of Summer that I like in case this happens?

Sadly the big guests can be very hard to get VQ tickets as Yahweh said.

I imagine this year Stan Lee will be very hard to get even as an early bird

Personally I am aiming for Milo Ventimiglia and Natalie Dormer so I don't think as an early bird it will be as hard for me as while Dormer will be busy, Milo has been to comic con before and I don't think he will be super busy so I think I should be fine.

But in think it also depends on how quick the person is to sign, and if you either get stuck behind a dealer etc.)

the whole point is for fans to meet the people they want to meet, the autograph is an added bonus.

Incorrect. Regardless of what you think the autograph sessions are designed to be that and are advertised as such, http://www.londonfil....com/autographs

They are not advertised as a meet/greet/chat, although that is a bonus of the process if there is time to have a quick question answered etc. However people are their to get autographs and if it is busy then the procedure needs to be kept as quick and efficient as possible to allow as many people as possible through in the available time.

They also aren't advertised as signature only, move along asap and get out the way as quickly as you can.

I can understand a company saying those things but fans? Fans telling other fans to think about other fans and don't hold the que up? Come on. It's never gonna work. No person over the age of 18 that pays rent or a mortgage or has responsibilites is going to be going to a signing to stand in line like a school boy and be told to move along once he has paid for his 'signature'. It will never happen and in the 7 years I've been attending shows in the UK I've never seen a member of staff tell me to move along and i'm not there chatting for long. I did get some extra doodles from Robert Englund last year and spent 15 minutes with him while there was a huge que behind me but that is Robert Englund, he likes to chat, everyone had fun, I even let the people behind me join in on the conversation at one point, no big deal, everyone was happy. No angry words were said. I know that is not going to happen all the time because guests are just regular people and everyone has good and bad days but I don't see any issue with chatting to guests.

And that's why Virtual Tickets are really there. Because there would be chaos with the bigger guests. If everyone was really there just for a signature there would be no need for them but Showmasters knows the real reason why people buy tickets to shows. The real reason is people go to meet their favourite stars and without those Virtual Tickets and staff manning the que you would have people standing there all day chatting. The people that go purely for a signature and have no interest in the guest signing their item are very much in the minority

So you'd be perfectly happy to stand in line for an entire THREE hours while just 12 people in front of you chat for 15 mins each to a guest??? That, sir, is complete utter rubbish! The point of queuing to see the guests is to get an autograph, any other chat/interaction is a bonus and should be treated as such, it is not an entitlement! Do you really think the majority of guests actually really care what anyone has to say anyway? It's just polite friendly chit-chat mate so don't fool yourself into thinking they're your friends just because you've watch them on TV and have now spoken with them for 15 mins!!

:sleep:

Edited by whysoserious79
  • Like 1

I have to agree with whysoserious79. When you're in line, you can have a quick chat with them whilst they're signing your autograph, like "Oh, how are you? did you have a good flight here? Do you like london so far?" etc. Once you're finished, I find it's rude to keep talking when there's a queue behind you.

However, if there is no queue or anyone getting autographs, the guests tend to be friendly and chat with you anyway until you have to go to get a photo or a drink or something to eat or they have a small queue. I found that it was good to talk with them as my mom talked with Garrett Wang last year back in october and she talked to virginia hay (she didn't mind my mom talking to her even though she was signing autographs, though I was kinda cheesed off because I thought it was rude) and Alexander Vahos (think that's how you spell his last name) - who played Merlin in the TV show and they had a good chat and laugh cos my mom said that he should get back in touch with BBC and get another season in for Merlin.

Generally the rule of thumb is which I have said above is that if there is a long queue, then yea, sometimes you'll find it's a quick "hi, how are you? how are you enjoying London?" etc, but if they're not busy with autographs or photoshoots and are just sitting at the desk, then I do believe by all means, go up and say hi and then engage in a small conversation with said guest.

If there is a Que then I try to speak while the sign and a few extra seconds before and after, as I understand other people want autographs and if everyone spoke to the guest for a long time a lot of people will miss out

The way I see it is if there isn't a que then talk to the guest for longer but if someone then joins the que then you should then be ready to have a shorter chat and move along

If the guest is very busy then don't talk to them for ages or its unfair on everyone else

I generally aim if there is a medium sized Que for a max 10 seconds after they finish signing although that may include an over the table photo. As I understand I am not the only person wanting to see the guest

but if they're not busy with autographs or photoshoots and are just sitting at the desk, then I do believe by all means, go up and say hi and then engage in a small conversation with said guest.

and the show rule is that you seek permission from the crew member with the guest (or the first crew member if there is a separate payment desk) before speaking to the guest ;)

The very first person I met at last years (my first con) was Jennifer Calvert. She was lovely. There was one person in front of me getting something signed and there if a funny photo of my eyes and top of my head just behind that guy as he had a photo taken over the desk with her.

She was lovely, very engaging and talked to me and we chatted for about 5 mins, my wife took a photo of us and Jennifer was also talking to her. We were unsure if you were allowed to talk to a guest without paying for an autograph. I did buy an autograph but she was just very nice and was happy to chat even before I got the autograph.

I think it would depend on the guest but most of them seem to be happy to chat for a little while.

So you'd be perfectly happy to stand in line for an entire THREE hours while just 12 people in front of you chat for 15 mins each to a guest??? That, sir, is complete utter rubbish! The point of queuing to see the guests is to get an autograph, any other chat/interaction is a bonus and should be treated as such, it is not an entitlement! Do you really think the majority of guests actually really care what anyone has to say anyway? It's just polite friendly chit-chat mate so don't fool yourself into thinking they're your friends just because you've watch them on TV and have now spoken with them for 15 mins!!

I have to agree with whysoserious79. When you're in line, you can have a quick chat with them whilst they're signing your autograph, like "Oh, how are you? did you have a good flight here? Do you like london so far?" etc. Once you're finished, I find it's rude to keep talking when there's a queue behind you.

However, if there is no queue or anyone getting autographs, the guests tend to be friendly and chat with you anyway until you have to go to get a photo or a drink or something to eat or they have a small queue.

I'm so glad that the few like yourselves are outnumbered by the many, especially whysoserious79. You must walk around these shows looking miserable as sin at all those happy smiling people. How dare people pay money to get into a venue then pay more money for someone who just happens to be a little bit richer, stays in a nicer hotel and lives life a little bit better some more money to sign a picture for you and want to talk to them! O-M-G! lol. No I wouldn't like standing in a que for 3 hours nor would I take liberties with a guest if there was a huge que behind me but if it was modest and they were chatty then of course I would chat. And of course many guests with no que are happy to talk and shake hands and pass the time with you. As far as me or anyone else taking up a lot of time like 15 minutes say.....I wouldn't put a set time on it. When you are chatting you'll either know when to stop or the guest will stop or It's like any other conversation, you know when it's time to finish up and you say your goodbyes. I wouldn't mean this to sound in a bad way but of course I wouldn't be bothered by anyone else in the que. I should hope that any que I am in, the person in front of me or behind me is there for the same reason as me so why would they take issue with me chatting and likewise, why would I take issue with them chatting. That's probably the only thing we have in common. I should think everyone wants the same thing, an experience they will remember. I think a chat, whether it is 10 seconds or 10 minutes is something to remember but you can't plan it, if it happens it will happen naturally.

If for fans it's purely for signing and I'm wrong for whatever reason and everyone there is there just for the signing then I think the guests could do it from a hotel room or a private room because if you're only there for the signature then why stand in a que right? You don't need to see them. They could just have someone take payment and your item, put them all into cardboard boxes then say at 4pm or 5pm you go and collect your signed item and go home. That would make you happy right? That way there wouldn't be any ques or VTs and guests aren't pressured. Would that not work no? Nah I didn't think it would.

Maybe it's because I'm Scottish and I see things differently. If we go independant in September there might be a fair few changes anyway. You'll all need visas to come up here lol. No more getting on buses and trains willy nilly. Paperwork will need signed and approved before crossing the border lol. I think for that reason alone Collectormania Glasgow this year might be even more memorable and likewise for Scottish people crossing the border down to England and then the exchange rate since we will need our own Scottish currency. These next few shows will be very memorable.

If there are people in a Que then I find anything more than a few minutes is rude, just because they are fans does not mean they should have to wait and because of that less fans get autographs. If there is no que then by all means talk to the guest till a que is begining to form. If there is a Que then really only either a few minutes or even less if it's a small que and if there's a medium to big que then really only talking to them while they sign and a few extra seconds before and after is suitable

You also have to consider if you talk to the guest for a while another fan misses out and I find that unfair, while I am a big fan of shows and get the stars autographs I don't chat for ages as I know someone else would miss out but I use my time effectively to create a memorable Experiance.

I know that autographs and photo sessions will be the most popular things at the LFCC, but what else will there be to do?

This will be my first time going to it. Will there also be things for sale like: sci-fi/comic magazines, replica items, action figures, t-shirts, DVD's etc?

Anything that will be particularly interesting? My mum loves mugs. Will there be mugs/glasses for sale?

I know that autographs and photo sessions will be the most popular things at the LFCC, but what else will there be to do?

This will be my first time going to it. Will there also be things for sale like: sci-fi/comic magazines, replica items, action figures, t-shirts, DVD's etc?

Anything that will be particularly interesting? My mum loves mugs. Will there be mugs/glasses for sale?

There will be plenty of things for sale. Everything you've already mentioned, including mugs, will be for sale.

There will also be talks, some of which are paid for, some of which are free. Well worth a visit.

However, if there is no queue or anyone getting autographs, the guests tend to be friendly and chat with you anyway until you have to go to get a photo or a drink or something to eat or they have a small queue.

I'm so glad that the few like yourselves are outnumbered by the many, especially whysoserious79. You must walk around these shows looking miserable as sin at all those happy smiling people. How dare people pay money to get into a venue then pay more money for someone who just happens to be a little bit richer, stays in a nicer hotel and lives life a little bit better some more money to sign a picture for you and want to talk to them! O-M-G! lol. No I wouldn't like standing in a que for 3 hours nor would I take liberties with a guest if there was a huge que behind me but if it was modest and they were chatty then of course I would chat. And of course many guests with no que are happy to talk and shake hands and pass the time with you. As far as me or anyone else taking up a lot of time like 15 minutes say.....I wouldn't put a set time on it. When you are chatting you'll either know when to stop or the guest will stop or It's like any other conversation, you know when it's time to finish up and you say your goodbyes. I wouldn't mean this to sound in a bad way but of course I wouldn't be bothered by anyone else in the que. I should hope that any que I am in, the person in front of me or behind me is there for the same reason as me so why would they take issue with me chatting and likewise, why would I take issue with them chatting. That's probably the only thing we have in common. I should think everyone wants the same thing, an experience they will remember. I think a chat, whether it is 10 seconds or 10 minutes is something to remember but you can't plan it, if it happens it will happen naturally.

If for fans it's purely for signing and I'm wrong for whatever reason and everyone there is there just for the signing then I think the guests could do it from a hotel room or a private room because if you're only there for the signature then why stand in a que right? You don't need to see them. They could just have someone take payment and your item, put them all into cardboard boxes then say at 4pm or 5pm you go and collect your signed item and go home. That would make you happy right? That way there wouldn't be any ques or VTs and guests aren't pressured. Would that not work no? Nah I didn't think it would.

Maybe it's because I'm Scottish and I see things differently. If we go independant in September there might be a fair few changes anyway. You'll all need visas to come up here lol. No more getting on buses and trains willy nilly. Paperwork will need signed and approved before crossing the border lol. I think for that reason alone Collectormania Glasgow this year might be even more memorable and likewise for Scottish people crossing the border down to England and then the exchange rate since we will need our own Scottish currency. These next few shows will be very memorable.

Firstly, the correct spelling is 'queue'. I've many Scottish friends and they have never heard of this word being spelled differently in Scotland.

Secondly, I just glimpsed at your rant (couldn't be bothered to read it all) but I would say that I am a perfectly happy chappy at these events and always leave with a smile on my face AND the knowledge that I haven't pissed off hundreds of people who have queued up, unlike yourself.

I've met the likes of George Clooney, Leonardo Di Caprio, Tom Cruise, and James Hetfield so I don't require a lecture on how to talk to celebrities, but I appreciate the fact that you seem to be the type of person who adores the sound of his own voice.

Oh i don't doubt you didn't read my post, it's a trait of many people online. When they realise someone doesn't agree with them they quickly ignore it and especially if they don't join in the love in and oooh I love Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. I hope there is Harry Potter guests this year cause I just can't wait to get my wallet open and spend lots of money on buses and hotels! Yay lets all pretend to be happy because that's how British people are, we're all happy people and all rooting for each other and we all love each other and come on everybody lets all be friends and wish each other well, come on now, everybody do well in life, lets help each other out because we all want each other to be successful. haha.

For those of you that don't live in the UK.......we're not like that at all. It's just an act we put on when we are online. I can say anything I want about Scotland because I am Scottish and I live here and I know our ways and we will be independant soon.

I'm sure you at some points of the day you are happy and I'm happy that you are that way, I'm glad people like you are quick because it lets fans like me spend more time with the guests. I bet when you met those celebrities you had to learn to talk and speak on your own, lots of pleases and thankyous, you wouldn't have been wrapped in cotton wool and have someone tell you where to walk and when to talk.

Oh i don't doubt you didn't read my post, it's a trait of many people online. When they realise someone doesn't agree with them they quickly ignore it and especially if they don't join in the love in and oooh I love Doctor Who and Game of Thrones. I hope there is Harry Potter guests this year cause I just can't wait to get my wallet open and spend lots of money on buses and hotels! Yay lets all pretend to be happy because that's how British people are, we're all happy people and all rooting for each other and we all love each other and come on everybody lets all be friends and wish each other well, come on now, everybody do well in life, lets help each other out because we all want each other to be successful. haha.

For those of you that don't live in the UK.......we're not like that at all. It's just an act we put on when we are online. I can say anything I want about Scotland because I am Scottish and I live here and I know our ways and we will be independant soon.

I'm sure you at some points of the day you are happy and I'm happy that you are that way, I'm glad people like you are quick because it lets fans like me spend more time with the guests. I bet when you met those celebrities you had to learn to talk and speak on your own, lots of pleases and thankyous, you wouldn't have been wrapped in cotton wool and have someone tell you where to walk and when to talk.

So you're a 'Mr Know-alll' as well. I still appreciate the fact that you adore the sound of your own voice.