Photo and Autograph

col2379

the whole point is for fans to meet the people they want to meet, the autograph is an added bonus.

Incorrect. Regardless of what you think the autograph sessions are designed to be that and are advertised as such, http://www.londonfil....com/autographs

They are not advertised as a meet/greet/chat, although that is a bonus of the process if there is time to have a quick question answered etc. However people are their to get autographs and if it is busy then the procedure needs to be kept as quick and efficient as possible to allow as many people as possible through in the available time.

They also aren't advertised as signature only, move along asap and get out the way as quickly as you can.

I can understand a company saying those things but fans? Fans telling other fans to think about other fans and don't hold the que up? Come on. It's never gonna work. No person over the age of 18 that pays rent or a mortgage or has responsibilites is going to be going to a signing to stand in line like a school boy and be told to move along once he has paid for his 'signature'. It will never happen and in the 7 years I've been attending shows in the UK I've never seen a member of staff tell me to move along and i'm not there chatting for long. I did get some extra doodles from Robert Englund last year and spent 15 minutes with him while there was a huge que behind me but that is Robert Englund, he likes to chat, everyone had fun, I even let the people behind me join in on the conversation at one point, no big deal, everyone was happy. No angry words were said. I know that is not going to happen all the time because guests are just regular people and everyone has good and bad days but I don't see any issue with chatting to guests.

And that's why Virtual Tickets are really there. Because there would be chaos with the bigger guests. If everyone was really there just for a signature there would be no need for them but Showmasters knows the real reason why people buy tickets to shows. The real reason is people go to meet their favourite stars and without those Virtual Tickets and staff manning the que you would have people standing there all day chatting. The people that go purely for a signature and have no interest in the guest signing their item are very much in the minority

Wizard, we've been through that discussion before. Guests are happy to chat whenever there is a chance and when that chance is there crew is happy to let them chat. It's part of the experience. If you've never been asked to move along that is because either your timing was right all the time (which I really compiment you on) or because you haven't been seeing the major guests. The problem is your posts are making it sound like everyone will have the time to tell William Shatner the story of their life, or that they should at least try to do so.

• Like 2

I will be going on the Saturday and should arrive in London at around 8am. At what time do people start to queue outside the venue to get in?

Will there be anyway to know how the venue will be set out before the convention starts? Will there be a map or something saying which guests will be sitting where? Or do I just go inside and wander around and look to see who is sitting where?

Some people get there crazy early, which isn't really necessary. I've known people to get there at 4am and at 7am there were still less than 20 people. Expecting a big crowd on Saturday just for Stan Lee though.

No one can possibly enjoy themselves at a show with the way things are a lot of the time, the whole point is for fans to meet the people they want to meet, the autograph is an added bonus. I'm just not wanting them to go there and get herded in and feel like they need to move along just because there is a que behind them. It's London. London is always busy for no other reason than it is London. Most will be open ques anyway so they should absolutely ask for photos at the desk and chat to the guests, never mind who's behind you especially if you have an early bird ticket. People only think of themselves anyway and most are there just for signatures, they don't care about the guests so why hurry along just to help them out. At conventions you need to put yourself first. That's why there is early bird tickets. It's not like we're all friends and we all love and care about each other and we can all go in together at 10am holding hands and everyone will be friendly and we can all meet everyone. The reason you buy the early bird ticket is because the people walking in at 10am are gonna push you out every chance they get, they will put themselves first so you need to make sure you get in there early and put your own self first and make sure you get to meet the stars you want to meet. It's like everything else in life, if you're not fast your last and nice guys always finish last. People will walk all over you at a convention if you let them, they'll gladly take your place in a line, especially in London and you can't allow it to happen.

I think I would have to disagree with the point about people only thinking about themselves, yes, like in all walks of life there are people that do this and some of them do come to these events as well, but I have had some wonderful conversations with like-minded fans whilst in queue lines , many who have now become my friends over the years and I've been going to events for the last 20 years, including being at the first LFCC and Collectormania 2. I think the important thing is to show respect for the guests and the fellow attendees and if a guest is quiet or in an open queue, by all means take the opportunity to chat, but where a guest is busy just remember by spending a lot of time with them it is going to frustrate others in the queue and it could mean in the worse case scenario some people might miss out altogether in meeting the guest. In my experience as well, I think the majority of people do enjoy themselves at the shows, yes there can be frustrations but on the whole it is a fabulous day or days , meeting guests and meeting new and old friends.

Some people get there crazy early, which isn't really necessary. I've known people to get there at 4am and at 7am there were still less than 20 people. Expecting a big crowd on Saturday just for Stan Lee though.

I would agree in general, although the LFCC queue was pretty big last year, even though I had an early bird we didn't get into the hall until after 9.30 a.m. and our photo shoot with Amanda Tapping was also at that time. Like all things it will depend on the guests and I think based on the swift sales of photo tickets originally for Stan he is going to attract quite an audience over the weekend.

Having said that the only time I have ever really missed out was at Collectormania 4 when I arrived too late to get a virtual queue ticket for Elijah Wood, but I think the Hobbitmania that day probably took a lot of people by surprise and I still managed to meet Sean Astin and Andy Serkis and caught up with Elijah when he came to the LFCC a few years later.

Overall though, I don't think you would have ever have needed to arrive at 4.00 a.m.

So if your not interested in photo's or autos with any of the guests is there any point getting there for opening time? Would it be better to arrive a little later and join the end of a diminishing queue?

If you're not there for that, sure. There's no hurry for you then :) (unless you want to see a couple of q&a's perhaps). Don't know when the queue starts to diminish though. I went out around lunchtime and there was still quite a line.

So if your not interested in photo's or autos with any of the guests is there any point getting there for opening time? Would it be better to arrive a little later and join the end of a diminishing queue?

2013 there's always been a queue to get in, and the standard ticket line was always pretty large. Especially with the Stan Lee appearance I can personally see that happening again.

I've given up hope of a doctor who guests being at the con on the saturday. And there's no one I recognize (or would get up at crack of dawn to get there early and queue for). So basically its a cosplay shopping trip. ;)

Thought I might go via some dw locations and take photo's. lol!

Are there any rules/guidelines that I should know about for photo sessions?

Like, can I choose whether the photo is portrait or landscape? Do I get asked before the photo is taken or do I need to say it myself to the photographer?

If I do not like my photo and my eyes are closed do I get a retake? Is the retake free?

What if I am in the queue for a while and I need the toilet? Do I go to the toilet and then comeback and join the back of the queue or where I was before going to the toilet?

Is there any kind of clothing, for example, a t-shirt with a particular brand/photo/logo etc that is not allowed?

Should I take something with my personal details and next of kin contract details along with me? I am going on my own and I do sometimes have anxiety attacks so I might faint or become overly anxious or something.

I will be taking a backpack with me that will have things like my pack lunch, house keys, bus tickets, digital camera, wallet etc inside. What do I do with it when I am having my photo taken? Does someone hold it for me? Do I leave it on the floor?

I will probably be wearing a t-shirt and jacket. If it gets too warm I will put my jacket inside my backpack. Or is there a cloakroom? If there is a cloakroom does it cost money?

Like, can I choose whether the photo is portrait or landscape? Do I get asked before the photo is taken or do I need to say it myself to the photographer?

If I do not like my photo and my eyes are closed do I get a retake? Is the retake free?

What if I am in the queue for a while and I need the toilet? Do I go to the toilet and then comeback and join the back of the queue or where I was before going to the toilet?

Is there any kind of clothing, for example, a t-shirt with a particular brand/photo/logo etc that is not allowed?

Should I take something with my personal details and next of kin contract details along with me? I am going on my own and I do sometimes have anxiety attacks so I might faint or become overly anxious or something.

I will be taking a backpack with me that will have things like my pack lunch, house keys, bus tickets, digital camera, wallet etc inside. What do I do with it when I am having my photo taken? Does someone hold it for me? Do I leave it on the floor?

I will probably be wearing a t-shirt and jacket. If it gets too warm I will put my jacket inside my backpack. Or is there a cloakroom? If there is a cloakroom does it cost money?

The photos come out landscape automatically, but if you do not like the photo - i.e. you've sneezed or blinked during the photo, I think you tell the guys who is doing the photoshoots and they will take another one of you.

I'm not sure about the cloakroom as the last time I went to a LFCC was the Winter one back in October last year.

T-Shirts I believe are like every con. They're fine unless they have racial words, swear words or even stuff like the swastika is not allowed.

I know others will know better, but from the fact that I've only been to three cons now (newcastle film and comic con this weekend is the 3rd lol), I don't know much.

The portrait or landscape thing depends on the photographer and what s/he is shooting. As you can get more than one person in a photo shoot if you want.

If you want a photo a certain orientation ask on of the guys helping out before you get to the front of the queue.

Reshoots are free if there was a problem, closed eyes, sneezing etc.

Not sure on what the rules are if you just don't like the picture.

Leaving the queue to go to the loo. I never had to do it, but I would guess that if the queue is not moving, you are queueing before the photo shoot starts, then ask the person next to you if that's OK. There are normally showmasters helps about so you can ask them. If the queue is moving then I would think it will be joining the back as they do move quick during photo shoots.

Regarding clothing I would guess nothing offensive.

I think there was a cloakroom but I did not need to use it, not sure if there was a cost.

Being summer you might be better off with a jumper rather than a jacket.

I can't see a problem with taking some contact details if you are prone to panic attacks.

Bags are taken when you go into the photoshoot area and stacked on the other side so you just collect it once you have got your picture. It all works very well.

Just to clarify/expand on the other replies.

If you require portrait then ask the photographer as you step up to the guest. By default they shoot landscape.

If there is a technical issue with the photo (eyes closed) then you are put back in the queue and get a free reshoot.

If you simply don't like the photo and there is nothing technically wrong (eg you don't like your pose) then you do not get a reshoot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, bought tickets for the preview night and for the photo op with Stan Lee on the same night. My daughter is 1, will i be able to take her in with me for the photo or will i need to buy another photo ticket for her if i wanted her to be in the photo with Stan Lee?

Also got tickets for the Sunday and Stan's talk…can't believe i'm already nervous!

Hi, bought tickets for the preview night and for the photo op with Stan Lee on the same night. My daughter is 1, will i be able to take her in with me for the photo or will i need to buy another photo ticket for her if i wanted her to be in the photo with Stan Lee?

Also got tickets for the Sunday and Stan's talk…can't believe i'm already nervous!

The general rule of thumb is that babes in arms won't need an extra ticket.

Thanks for the quick reply, no doubt she'll fall asleep or something and miss the whole thing anyway!

Would I be able to get stuff signed at the same time or would that be a separate queue?

If you mean at the same time as the photograph it's a separate que for autographs as guests have allocated time for each. You will get a virtual ticket and wait for your number for autographs, this allows you to go and browse and enjoy the rest of the event! :)

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

When you get a photo taken with a guest, is it taken in front of a crowd of people or is it a area sectioned off?

There are separate photo areas in the venue where u have a photo against a blue backdrop with the guest

• Like 1

When you get a photo taken with a guest, is it taken in front of a crowd of people or is it a area sectioned off?

While it's in a separate area, people standing in the same queue will be able to see you take your photo.

• Like 1