Sign in to follow this  
StuartG2198

So.......What's it like!

Can't believe DSTG starts today and I can't be there, would be great to hear some stories and see some pics, you lucky people

Had a great afternoon myself. Set up is much the same as London, just with dimmer lighting, lol. Same black colour scheme and stall fascias. Many of the same sellers, too. Good selection of merch (bought a purring tribble to take home to my infant daughter!).Didn't seem as busy as London on the Friday. Autograph area was quite disorganised to start with (no guests there at opening time, and it was quite a while before they were brought in, a few at a time, while the centre staff were still marking out the queue lines on the floor with tape). I ended up first to meet Karl Urban, and he was great - chatty and personalised my Dredd pic with a quote and everything. Had a photo shoot with him later, and he was very fan friendly again, shaking hands and throwing his arm over your shoulder. Show masters were staffing the shoot, and it had their usual organised efficiency. Shatner personalised his autos as well, which was a pleasant surprise, as he wasn't doing so when I met him in London. Didn't get long with him, but he was fine. Saw him making an effort to speak to a little German kid who was shy, which made me smile. Marina Sirtis was a blast - very chatty and friendly. Spent ages with Brent spiner talking about his music, gates McFadden was a bit more distant but pleasant. Arming shimmerman was great. Wanted to meet Ron Moore, but no sign of him today, and the auto desk had no idea. Hopefully he's there tmrw. No Ira Behr or Tim Russ either, from what I saw, but levar burton was there despite being billed as sat/sun only on the website. Hoping to see some talks tmrw, get levar Burton's auto, and maybe some others if I have money left! Typing this on the iPad so forgive any typos!

Like DMG said, it's really dim light in here. Not so good. At the moment i'm waiting for my shoot with Connor. Not many people here. To be honest... it's a bit boring right now

Hope you had a good time meeting Connor, jumanji! Finished everything I wanted to do, and back at the hotel to chill for a bit! Definitely felt like fewer people than dstl both yesterday and today. Got busier as today went on, though. Saw some free talks this morning, and the great news was that they evidently learned from the mistake at dstl, and this time there was no ticket system for free talks. Just turn up and grab a seat, so we went there early, since once again no guests were at the autograph desks for opening time. Wife and I saw the marina Sirtis/levar burton talk at 10 - they had a good double act going, he the straight man to her loud banter, having obviously done this stuff a zillion times over the years. Marina did mention they were suffering from the jet lag, which was evident, but to give them credit they did engage with the crowd and gave us a good show. Marina did make me laugh with her quite frank opinions on her costuming and character behaviour on tng. lots of nationalities there, judging from the questioners - more Americans than I'd expected, but several of them mentioned they were us military stationed in Germany. Got back in for Michael dorn/gates McFadden - not as much of a comfy double act between them, but they were still entertaining, and again tried to give thoughtful answers to all the (sometimes not terribly original) questions. Enjoyed both talks much more than I'd anticipated. Ron Moore & Ira Behr were both there today, and had a good laid-back q&a much the same as they did at dstl, although microphone problems and frequent loud BONGS from some big metal drum thing in the Klingon area nearly derailed things. Got my levar burton autograph - v nice guy, bought a tshirt, browsed the stalls and "museum" (Much the same as the stuff at dstl from what I saw), then left them all to it. Would post some pics but the iPad doesn't give me the option. Can't speak for others, who may have different experiences from talks, parties, photoshoots etc. that I didn't attend, but I got everything I wanted out of the weekend, and the first come first served seating for free talks was a real improvement over dstl's ticket queue of death. Autographs could be better organised/administered - guests kept disappearing at random, not for photos/talks, and nobody was there to tell you when they'd be back. Shatner in particular was in and out all the time. Show masters/media 10 staff that we spoke to were all great, though, and THANK YOU to the German lady on the coffee stall who kept my folder of signed photos safe when I stupidly walked off without it and didn't realise for 20 mins! My wife says she's never seen me run so fast!

I'll give you a report tomorrow when i'm home. My hands are still shaking with excitement that i can't write on my smartphone. (Dominic kissed me!!!)

So, i'm back home and it feels like it was only a dream!

In the morning it was really boring as there were only a few people, no actors visible and I was too tired I guess. But things improved immediately when I saw Connor in the fotosession area. The picture I got with him is just amazing. Kudos to showmastersonline for that! A bit later Dominic atonished me when he pulled me next to him saying "hello sweetheart!" :huh: . Also a nice picture, but it can't beat the one with Connor (sorry Domi).

After that we went to the autograph tables where a lot of actors were just sitting around. We took photos of most of them and I waited for Dominic and Connor to finish their fotosessions. Unfortunately when it was my turn with Dominic a girl from the fotosession area came to take him back as a few people didn't get their pictures with him yet. Although I said I would come back later he made his quick signature and vanished so I couldn't talk to him. :(

Btw. I only needed 1 token for both autographes (on my ENT-Box and in my autograph book). As I already bought 4 token I decided to spent one on Rene Auberjonois to surprise my Mum and my stepfather, who absolutely love Odo. He was very kind. I explained that they love him, but couldn't come. He painted Odos Bucket for them and personalized his autograph althought my mothers name Ursula is not very common in the US (he practiced on another piece of paper until he spelled it right as he didn't want to ruin the autograph).

Then Connor was back and I had the chance to get my autographes from him. He laughed as I told him how nervous I was and showed him my shaking hands " :eek: Stop that! (in a serious tone)" I could barely speak as my brain refused to form ordinary English sentences. How embarassing, I mean he's only a man (a real nice and cute one, though). :blush:

Absolutely stoked I was by Vaughn Armstrong. He wrote "Jumamji, I Love You!" (with my real name of course) in my autograph book. And then he tried to write down all 12 charakter names but failed after 5. As I only know ENT I couldn't help him. So we chated for a few minutes. Very very nice and kind man!

After lunch we visited Connors & Dominics Talk and I had the chance to ask my question. It was a lot of fun to see how down to earth and relaxed they were telling jokes and tales and mocking each other. I really felt sympathy for a German girl who tried to ask Connor something about sports. As she started her question with telling that she once had dinner with Dominic in Vegas where he told her, he played golf, Dominic took over. "I remember you! How are the kids?" Everyone was laughing as it sounded like the kids where his. The girl tried to phrase her question again and again but everytime she took breath Dominic went on with this joke. It took about 2 minutes till Connor finally guessed the rest of her question and answered.

Then we wanted to attend the DS9 Talk but it was too crowded. As there were no Free Talk Tickets people were queueing up in front of the entrance, but we didn't find the end of the queue. It looked like it went to infinity and beyond... so we decided to leave.

For a last goodbye I went to the autograph tables. Now I had the heart to tell Connor it was me whos tweet he answered about 3-4 weeks ago and showed it to him on my smartphone (he touched it :dance:) as he of course pretended to remember, but I guess he didn't. I said goodbye, thanked him for the great day, told him to say hello to his wife and son, we shook hands once again and that was it. I'll never forget this day in my life! :crying:

Dominic was Prince Charming again. I also said goodbye and thanked him for the great day. "Want a kiss?" Who would want to day no to this, hm? He stood up and gave me kisses on both cheeks. :dance::clap::blush: I'll never wash my face again, I swear!!!

On my way out I guess I passed by 'I am that I am' but didn't dare to address him, Sorry, man! But your costume was absolutely great! Far better then the transsexual 7 of 9 I saw (I don't want to know where he put his 'thing' :blush: )

I hope everyone had also some great days. See you on another DST some day.

Ah, I forgot one thing. Whoever will organize the next event...

It would be great if the autograph tables could be on a higher platform. It felt strange to look down on the guests. As it was a bit loud I always had to bend forward that they could hear me. Poor Vaughn said about 10 times "Pardon me!" because he didn't get me. So I started to hunker down like a lot of other people, but that's not a comfortable position either.

Edited by Jumanji

Thanks for your stories both, very jealous that I couldn't make it to the show

Maybe you should read your 'have met'-list more often ^_^ You don't have to be jealous

Haha yeh I have been very lucky, all started with Star Trek London which is why I'm jealous I couldn't make this event

Glad to read that jumanji enjoyed meeting the ENT guys so much. Enjoyed reading your report. I would be interested to hear what others thought of the things that I didn't try, as well, like the parties. Were they any better than those at DSTL? Anyway, we flew back this afternoon after a fantastic weekend - got everything I wanted out of DSTG, and capped it off with a lovely Saturday night at Jimmy's Bar, a wonderful, old-fashioned little piano bar in the Grand Hotel Hessischer Hof, just across the road from the Messe Frankfurt. Thought I would post a few pics from DSTG, although we didn't take very many, and they're not exactly great quality.

2uh26hg.jpg

ame9h2.jpg

314qqnl.jpg

Edited by DMG

We'll I'm also home now and it's 1am here in the uk, so full report tomorrow after I've had some sleep. But just wanted to say what a fantastic weekend I've had...absolutely loved it. Only one complaint which I'll explain more later...but will just say now, seriously why wouldn't you allow us to take photos of guests at the autograph tables? That was just too mean! But other than that, great time and already looking forward to the next Destination, no matter where that is.

seriously why wouldn't you allow us to take photos of guests at the autograph tables? That was just too mean!

It may appear mean to you but please bear in mind that these requests come from the guests/their agents and quite often for medical reasons. Migraines from the constant flashes going off for example. Yes, you could just ask people not to use flash but previous experience has revealed that while some abide that, others just forget, or can't recall how to turn off their flash or just blatantly ignore the request. These lapses add up over the course of a day so it is just easier for the comfort of the guests to enforce a no photo rule where required.

My husband is also very exhausted but totally happy! :D He is not at home yet, but what I know, it was fantastic. Thank you all for your reports and photos, it is great for us who had to stay at home.

And he said, he has a greeting for me from Connor! :clap:

Brief retelling of my weekend!

Me and my friend left from Oslo, Norway early Friday morning, and landed in Frankfurt around noon.

By 13:40, we had arrived to the city center, checked into the hotel, made our way to Messe, and were standing in line to get in.

A few hours later, I had gotten everything I came for: Signed custom made and printed Blu-ray covers of Dredd, Re-Animator, and various Star Trek covers.

Very happy with the day, we called it the night a few hours later, and checked out the Frankfurt nightlife.

Saturday we also checked out Frankfurt attractions, before returning to DSTG on Sunday, as I had decided I needed an autographed picture of Karl Urban to wallmount, which I got, before going to airport and back home again. No photoshoots and only free talks for me, already spent a fortune or autographs.

All in all, a great weekend, had a blast both in and out of the convention:-)

The good:

- The entrance into the convention area itself was excellent, what with the 2009 theme music and the wall to wall decoration of the new retrostyle posters by that artist whose name escapes me.

- Better food than at DSTL

- Better internal layout than at DSTL

- Using plastic coins rather than cash for autographs

The bad:

- I couldn’t pay for the above plastic coins with either VISA or Mastercard?!? Only Maestro??? What the hell, it’s 2014, get with the program!!!

- No virtual tickets? Granted, I had no real need, but still, no virtual tickets?

- Single file entry to the convention hall???

Also, I do bemoan that there was only official Star Trek merchandise. I would have been nice to have some other stuff, maybe some none Star Trek pictures. According to karl Urban, I was apparantly far from the only one who wanted a Judge Dredd quote on my McCoy picture :P

But all in all, a damn good time. Bring on the next DSTsomewhere.

I'm think 1of2 is right. I somehow felt a bit sorry for the guests as they were sitting there side by side. Especially when noone was with them to get an autograph or talked to them. People were standind in front of them, staring at them, taking pictures like they were animals in the zoo. :no:

Ok, I've had some sleep now and fully revitalised. Have uploaded some of the better photos I captured across all 3 days on my facebook page...it's public so you should be able to see them:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10203432206269809.1073741830.1352157281&type=1&l=a5c5fd3039

As I said last night, it was a fantastic weekend. I totally loved every second of it. Congratulations to Media 10 and Showmasters for organising what turned out to be a great event. And your staff are great people too...very friendly and helpful.

I would say the number of visitors was much less than at DSTL, and the whole thing felt smaller somehow. Not small by any means...but small-er than DSTL. But the venue...man, that place is H-U-G-E! I've never walked along so many miles of empty corridors like that before. Definitely makes the Excel in London look small by comparison.

I mentioned the no-photo thing earlier...and yeh, I understand what 1of2 says about guests requesting that no-photos be taken because after 3-days of constant flash in your eyes can make your head scream. And I know what Jumanji means when she says people were taking photos of the guests like they were animals. I was annoyed and thought it mean at the time...but I get it, and it was a minor thing anyway...so no worries :smile:

Best guests for me were:

• Robin Curtis - she was very friendly and talked for ages with me.
  • Alice Krige - Again, very friendly and spoke for such a long time (I almost was embarrased as I was holding up a couple of other people behind me)
  • Marina Sirtis - Very sexy and extremely funny. Loved the talk she did with LeVar Burton - they were so funny together.
  • Gates McFadden - was actually the first guest I got an autograph from, and rather embarrisingly didn't know about the token thing...so walked up with cash in hand. She was so understanding and asked someone to help me get it sorted.

I'd met William Shatner, Brent Spiner, Dominic Keating and Connor Trinneer before so I didn't go see them...but I know from past they are equally as good guests. William can be a little stand-offish, but then think of how many years he's been doing these conventions and how many hundreds of thousands of people he's had to shake hands with.

The token thing for autogrpahs - once I found out about it - was a great idea. I bought all of mine on the Friday and then just used them over the 3-days to get the autos I wanted (most were done on the Sunday). Saves the embarsement of walking up to a guest with cash in hand - always seems a bit 'dirty' to me. So the tokens were great. Was suprised no VQ ticket system. But then to be fair, I don't think they were really needed. Even Karl Urbans queues got small enough after a while for me to join.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. All in all, I had a great time. So, where (and when) is the next one gonna be? Gotta start saving :thumbup:

Yeah, I had the best day of the year. I never would have thought it would be that wonderful.

Here's my little treasure...

BhKet4oCMAAUT2_.png

:wub:

Great photo with Connor, Jumanji, and Steve - thanks for posting yours. Love the bridge shot with the cast, I was wondering how they'd stage it.

I loved those autograph tokens (poker chips, we kept calling them). Wish I could have kept some as souvenirs, but obviously that would mean paying a lot of money for nothing! Re. the photos at the desk, I could see the organisers' point when it comes to the big guests - as soon as Shatner and Urban appeared, a huge crowd of onlookers descended, all trying to snap away. If the security hadn't been there to (attempt to) stop them taking photos, I'm sure it would have driven the two of them nuts after a while. Other guests were happy to let us photograph them (I always make sure to ask first!). Seemed that generally the 'cheaper' guests were fine with posing for a desk photo with you as well, which has been my experience at most shows.

Edited by DMG

one thing that surely lacked was "the closing ceremony".

when you look at how event was going on and how many things happened, it would have been nice to wrap all 3 days with the closing ceremony and that goodbye is said in proper way both to the guests and to the fans rather than just "go home" after the Keating & Trineer talk has finished.

Edited by TerrenceT

I agree. ME have a closing ceremony at their events and it is a great way to end the day. It would be nice to have one at any future Trek event.

if organisers are willing to listen to the fan suggestions about how to improve the event for the future it would be great to create a suggestion topic. surely, improving would bring more satisfaction to the fans and in the end more profit to the organisers as well.

I'm sure they're reading through this topic and other comments :)