Sports guests

I really enjoyed meeting Ray Wilkins, Kerry Dixon and of course the legend that is Stuart Pearce. Have to say was disappointed that there was no posed photos for any of the sports guests, i have got table photos with all the sports guests at previous shows, was this for any particular reason? I appreciate they weren't there for long but that's been the same with previous sports guests yet there wasn't a no posed photos policy.

• Like 1

The no posed photos policy made me decide not to meet any of the sports stars I'd planned on getting. Whilst I could understand it for the older stars and the more popular ones, it was obviously just a blanket no posed photos and seemed like it was done to boost the photo shoot sales. Since none of the stars were ones I was desperate to meet I decided not to get them as a (probably futile) protest.

• Like 1

It was mainly there, I believe, to save time as they were there for a limited time and part of that time was also spent at photoshoots. I assumed this would be the case so I made sure I got photoshoot tickets for Eubank, Pearce and Bruno/Bugner. All of the guests were more than happy to pose for photos while they were signing so and some like Joe Bugner were insistent on having photos taken with people.

Edited by jonathan
  • Like 1

To blanket all the guests with no posed photos i feel was unfair. When I met Kerry Dixon there was no one queue for him. I got my Mexico 86 shirt signed by him for which he made nice comments about as I have got 10 other signatures on it. I asked him for a photo for which he was more than happy to have and he even wanted to have the shirt in the photo! What was the problem with that! We then got told off by the crew member and Kerry felt really embarrassed by it and it was very awkward when it didn't need to be. Ray was the same, I was second queuing up to meet him, the guy in front of me asked for a posed photo for which Ray said yes and he took one, the crew member then told him off, to which Ray replied " I don't know what the situation is." I asked just to see what he said and he again embarrassingly said he wasn't allowed. Seems crazy to me. I've met 25 footballers most at SM events all getting signatures on my shirts and I've had photos with them all holding my shirt, just as a nice memory for me, so disappointing not to get a photo at table with my shirts and then have to pay another £30 for 2 photoshoots so the sports organisers can make more money

• Like 1

If there is a sign saying no photos then you should respect it and not ask. It is there for a reason, which is not always made apparent to attendees.

If you had not asked then the awkwardness that followed would not have happened.

Edited by 1of2

It has been more common at the last few events actually from what I've noticed. The likes of Hurst, Peters, Greaves, Frank Bruno etc have more often than not been 'no posed photos' the last few years.

I come to these events now very prepared to spend a lot of money (sadly lol) so if there are guests that I really want a photo with I make sure I get a photoshoot. This is with all types of guest. I fully understand that this is not in people's budgets and that is a shame.

If there is a sign saying no photos then you should respect it and not ask. It is there for a reason, which is not always made apparent to attendees.

If you had not asked then the awkwardness that followed would not have happened.

Agree 100 per cent!

It's no different to walking into a supermarket, past the sign that says "shoplifters will be prosecuted" and then walking out with a loaf of bread you haven't paid for.

It's made plain and clear that an auto costs £x - there is never any promise of a photo.

I'd rather this "no photo" policy was in place if it meant we got a wider range of guests, rather than the same old tired faces.

I was just thinking, what happened to Brian London? I couldn't see him with all the boxers so I assumed he had cancelled. I asked a few crewers and just got blank expressions like they'd never heard of him and was pointed to another crewer to ask lol. Apologies if this question has already been asked lol

I'd like to see Steve Perryman booked for a further event. Its a shame he had to cancel although he was well enough to attend a 1984 Spurs reunion last Friday. Hopefully he will be well enough to attend a Showmasters event soon.