Are we going to get a BIG guest for May?

chugs

It's only January. Give it time. Plus the whole 'big' thing is ALWAYS up for debate..

No, a "big" guest is not up for debate.

An "interesting" or "cool" guest is up for debate : some might be interested in a guest, others not.

While not everyone might be interested in a big guest, such will always be recognized as one.

When Danny Glover was announced for LFCC last year, no one could argue it wasn't a "big" guest.

Same with Shatner or Stan Lee.

Even people that don't go for a sig or a photo with a "big" guest will acknowledge their value.

A "big" guest is someone that 90% of the attendees know, whether its name and/or face.

• Like 1

THis reminds me of a debate I had with my Friends daughter at Collectormania back in 2012, I argued the case that Vic Armstrong Stuntman/CoOrdinator was a BIG guest where she said John Barrowman was bigger:

Vic Armstrong has worked on the biggest film franchises in history:

Indiana Jones (Obviously)

Return of the Jedi

Superman

James Bond...

The list is exhaustive and lets face it has been responsible for making some of the most iconic- ok I'm gonna stop there...

And then theres John Barrowman who was in Doctor Who? And a number of other things.

Last year at Collector you had a HUGE Guest, Gillian Anderson- and a few events later the Son of God- Jett Lucas, oh my god when he was announced I let out THE biggest Fanboy squeeee ever.

In other cases there are people who are announced and I'm quietly thinking, "Who are they?" then having to go to IMDB to see what they've been in.

Basically its all about what the Guests mean to the attendee.

• Like 2

THis reminds me of a debate I had with my Friends daughter at Collectormania back in 2012, I argued the case that Vic Armstrong Stuntman/CoOrdinator was a BIG guest where she said John Barrowman was bigger:

Vic Armstrong has worked on the biggest film franchises in history:

Indiana Jones (Obviously)

Return of the Jedi

Superman

James Bond...

The list is exhaustive and lets face it has been responsible for making some of the most iconic- ok I'm gonna stop there...

And then theres John Barrowman who was in Doctor Who? And a number of other things.

Last year at Collector you had a HUGE Guest, Gillian Anderson- and a few events later the Son of God- Jett Lucas, oh my god when he was announced I let out THE biggest Fanboy squeeee ever.

In other cases there are people who are announced and I'm quietly thinking, "Who are they?" then having to go to IMDB to see what they've been in.

Agree. its all purely subjective.

I'm not really 'into' the whole comic book hero thing...same goes for a lot of the big 'hits' imported from the US and I haven't been to the cinema in years. Never really been my thing so for me I don't know a lot of guests announced at the various SM events. I tend to be interested in doctor who and period dramas...lol! So I'm a bit limited in my knowledge. (Actually it would be lovely if there was a period drama equivelent of a comiccon...but I doubt that will ever happen).

(its the same at big music festivals...I usually go see the 'small' rather than headline acts...I'm starting to think I'm either odd or contrary)

Edited by LadyDeTemps
  • Like 1

It's only January. Give it time. Plus the whole 'big' thing is ALWAYS up for debate..

They announced Stan Lee in December 2013 for a July 2014 event?

You can not compare when guests have signed and been announced for events. For example a guest who is unavailable in December for a May/July may then become available one week before the event.
  • Like 1

I'd say a big headliner would be someone who's at least been heard outside their own fanbase, virtual ticket most of the day, £20+ for autographs and sold out photoshoots

We deserve one but they'll probably cancel!

That's the catch, especially with big working actors, earlier you announce them better chance they still have of work commitments getting in the way. So whats better, announce a big guest 4 months to go with a 50/50 chance they won't be able to make it, or wait 4 weeks with a 90% chance of turning up?
  • Like 1

I have no doubt that there will be something for everyone in may in Milton Keynes, I have attended most over the past few years and I must say the guests have been fantastic ( my opinion ) a real mixture, I am a fussy git but not with MK collectormania.

Bring it on ;-)

I'd say a big headliner would be someone who's at least been heard outside their own fanbase, virtual ticket most of the day, £20+ for autographs and sold out photoshoots

In other words, Gillian Anderson.

Not being a Game of Thrones watcher, in fact I've only ever seen five minutes of one episode, I wouldn't know who any of the people were from it.

To me, in general, a big guest is classed as a main character in a popular TV show, a film star who is currently active or the main star of a film which has a huge following. whether I want to meet them or not is a different story, I wouldn't say they weren't a big guest just because I didn't want to meet them.

• Like 1

Micheal ironside....v ......starship troopers..etc

marc mc clure.....superman 1-4.....back to the future. ..

tom welling.....smallville

helen slater.......supergirl

id b happy with 1 ;)

Lookin forward to this years events. Hopefully just as good as previous

I'm allways amazed when people complain of a lack of guests or so called 'big' guests when we're 4 months off from the convention date. Showmasters can't confirm things until they are sure of an attendance otherwise fans would moan if they cancel. Most of their guests are still working in their profession ,not retired, so nothing is set in stone. Showbusiness, in all its forms ,changes quickly and sometimes overnight when it comes to work.Lets just see what happens. SM's past record is excellent whe it comes to getting guests. I'm sure the eventual line up will be good.

Edited by loveamyadams
  • Like 1

I'm allways amazed when people complain of a lack of guests or so called 'big' guests when we're 4 months off from the convention date. Showmasters can't confirm things until they are sure of an attendance otherwise fans would moan if they cancel. Most of their guests are still working in their profession ,not retired, so nothing is set in stone. Showbusiness, in all its forms ,changes quickly and sometimes overnight when it comes to work.Lets just see what happens. SM's past record is excellent whe it comes to getting guests. I'm sure the eventual line up will be good.

Alas, a post as King I fully endorse :)

Yeah i have to admit the whole 'big' guest thing is just going to be different for everybody. Alot of people consider many of the dr who/torchwood/game of thrones guests BIG but i dont because i dont like and watch those shows, so to me they are not big guests, it just goes on personal taste as to what you think is a big guest.

If you had dirk benedict and dwight schultz sat next to two of the main stars of game of thrones for example then Dwight and Dirk would be bigger guests to me, because i grew up watching them on tv so meeting them would be more meaningful to me.

I do think though after attending these shows for a few years now you come to relax more and wait until closer to the event before worrying about the lineup. so many times in the past ive been worried that no guests i like would be there and then a month the show BANG...a handful of great guests are added so now ive learned to just chill abit and look forward to the event.

This MK show is looking great for me personally already though...i mean big guest wise...WILLIAM ATHERTON is a big guest to me because ghostbusters is my all time favorite movie.

Im also going to meet the following, who again are all BIG guests for me personally:

Tony Todd to get a still signed from The Crow

Eric Roberts

Kane Hodder

Karen Allen

Edited by teabelly83

I do think though after attending these shows for a few years now you come to relax more and wait until closer to the event before worrying about the lineup. so many times in the past ive been worried that no guests i like would be there and then a month the show BANG...a handful of great guests are added so now ive learned to just chill abit and look forward to the event.

As you say it varies for everyone. The last few years a few of the events have lacked the big draw for me, so I've not gone. That saves £140 or so on travel and hotels straight away.
  • Like 1

Yeah i have to admit the whole 'big' guest thing is just going to be different for everybody. Alot of people consider many of the dr who/torchwood/game of thrones guests BIG but i dont because i dont like and watch those shows, so to me they are not big guests, it just goes on personal taste as to what you think is a big guest.

If you had dirk benedict and dwight schultz sat next to two of the main stars of game of thrones for example then Dwight and Dirk would be bigger guests to me, because i grew up watching them on tv so meeting them would be more meaningful to me.

This MK show is looking great for me personally already though...i mean big guest wise...WILLIAM ATHERTON is a big guest to me because ghostbusters is my all time favorite movie.

Im also going to meet the following, who again are all BIG guests for me personally:

Tony Todd to get a still signed from The Crow

Eric Roberts

Kane Hodder

Karen Allen

I couldn't agree more, Dr Who or Game of Thrones is one programme I don't watch and wouldn't know who most of the cast were in it, but yeah, Dwight Schultz and Dirk Benedict- HELL YEAH! Thats what I'm talking about, as well as Mr. T (but I heard somewhere he doesn't do cons) but as nice as it would be to meet the three of them and be thrilled to do so I wouldn't get them to sign any A-Team merchandise as it will always be incomplete, but I digress.

There will always be those who think some guests are bigger than others (as I mentioned on the first page in this thread Vic Armstrong v John Barrowman (Vic will ALWAYS be the bigger guest for me) I remember having a chat with someone about a year ago and we were discussing famous people we'd met, Harrison Ford for me, and the person I was talking to said he was enthralled with meeting Dave Prowse, (don't get me wrong) I've met Dave on a number of occasions and always found him to be delightful to talk to and he's always been nice to me :)

A few years ago I was talking to a Friend (when Arnie was over here) and he said that if he could only meet either Arnie or Mr. Spielberg it would be Arnie.

Thats the way it goes- but those whom know me know who I feel is THE biggest Guest Showmasters have had- she's in my profile pic on here and the day of meeting her was one of THE best days in my life. #FACT

• Like 1

The whole "Big" guest thing genuinely is very subjective, so perhaps well known guest would be a better term, so if you say the name of the guest , chances are that over 75% of the population would know the name.

Some examples might be, Stan Lee, Buzz Aldrin, David Hasselhoff, Burt Reynolds. Gillian Anderson etc

Then I think it is more down to what your favourite series are, so if you are a fan of Game of Thrones (I've never seen it) and Peter Dinklage is announced, that's a big guest for Game of Thrones fans, but I'd not heard of him, so he wouldn't come into the well known category.

• Like 2