rare who guests please

mr fagan

Being a bit of a fan / collector is there any chance at all in getting the likes of Gabriel Woolf Christopher Robbie Reg Whitehead David Collings Mark Hardy Alec Linstead Paul Kasey Derek Deadman Graham Cole Barnaby Edwards Bernard Holly Sonny Caldinez Stuart Fell. Before people reply by saying that some of these have attended events before,i know that but i am talking about getting all the above NOW. Its a big ask i know but in sure in not the only one in the whole country that would love to meet these rare guests.Am i ? ? ?

Its a big ask i know but in sure in not the only one in the whole country that would love to meet these rare guests.Am i ? ? ?

Well to be honest, I wouldn't consider many of them rare. It's not just they've signed before, its that most have done signings in the past 9 months. Only one of them I've not met. Only three I'd have anything at all to get signed.

So why not support the 1 you've not met and the 3 you'd have something to get signed? Instead you're making it sound like 'well i've met them so I don't support your suggestion' He's suggesting people he wants to meet, im sure he doesnt really care if anyone else has managed to meet them.

Of those you listed tony jedi, id love to see the following guys announced for an event, whether i've met them before or not:

Christopher Robbie

Reg Whitehead

David Collings

Mark Hardy

Derek Deadman

Bernard Holly

Sonny Caldinez

Not only that but when NEW merchandise is released then i have to get that item(s) signed as well. Thats why i need to meet Sophie in Cardiff. If the Dr Who figures were out in the early 90s then i could have had my three Third Dr figures signed when i met Jon Pertwee but twas not to be. But as to the others i listed in the first post for example Graham Cole i need to COMPLETE my Keeper Of Traken figure set which has been signed by Tom Baker and Geoffrey Beevers. Mark Hardy i need to complete my Silver Nemesis figure two pack. Nicola Bryant to complete my Vengeance On Varos figure set signed by Nabil Shaban. Not just my cardedfigures and figure box sets i also have a nice selection of 10x8 photos that are crying out to get signed. But i nearly forgot to mention Gabriel Woolf for my Pyramids Of Mars figure set already signed by one of the mummies. Katy Manning to add to my Cloven Hoof pub sign print. i tell you now boys and girls signed memorabilia is where its at. But hey what do i know?

So why not support the 1 you've not met and the 3 you'd have something to get signed? Instead you're making it sound like 'well i've met them so I don't support your suggestion' He's suggesting people he wants to meet, im sure he doesnt really care if anyone else has managed to meet them.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be invited - just arguing the suggestion that they are 'rare'. I wouldn't want SM to book someone they were expecting all of Doctor Who fandom to 'need' them, to find a that the core fandom had less of an interest in them.

But I'm also saying that most of them aren't hard to find if you look around. I'd love to say X, Y and Z are doing a signing next month, or offer to get things signed for other collectors, but of course such helpful things are forbidden on the forum.

Sure, with the regulars there's always something new to get signed. With the guest actors I tend to treat each chance I get as being my last chance. No one's getting younger. Or cheaper. Even then you can't win them all, make special effort to go see someone, and they end up on your doorstep the next week!

Not that we will ever know, but it would be fascinating to know the number of autographs needed to be sold for a guest to be viable.

Cheers see i knew i wasn't the only one who wants to meet these guys. Well fingers crossed anyway....

No you're definitely not alone. It's just that the 40-or-so Who fans who live around London and regularly attend all the same Dr. Who signings will have met these people and argue that they are not rare. What they lose sight of is that they ARE rare. For those who live further afield and can't manage the expense or risk of traveling the length of the country to meet one guest, they are rare. These guests will always be popular at bigger shows like Showmasters' as there's always going to be more Who fans at them than the same old small group that populate the "Doctor Who events" forums.I'd love any of the rarer guests from classic Who to come to any future show as they are always a great addition to the headliners. I've said this before but minor guests from classic Who can have had up to 6 weeks of (varying) screen time, but new series guests will have a very little screen time compared to that.

I'm a semi-regular at them but don't live in England, so I can understand the outsiders' perspective. For those who are able to travel fairly easily to meet these people, they assume everyone should be able to. The amount of times I've suggested certain rare Who guests for shows only for the regulars to shoot down my suggestion and tell me "they've done a show already." It's that sort of selfish attitude, the kind that assumes that everyone can go to these limited-attendance shows, that makes those further afield feel left-out. If you live outwith England, or worse, outide UK, these guests are rare and to have them at such a large-scale comic-con that people from across the globe attend can only be a good things for all Who fans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...