Young Adult Literature Con at LFCC - Updated 22/04/14

What about an Old Adult Literature Convention for us grumpy old sods? :whistling:

You get a flask of tea and a table in the corner where you can all talk about workin' downt mill for thrupence a year and eatin' handfull of hot coal for tea. And that's if you were lucky.... These young'uns... don't know they're born....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Showmasters Admin

hi Everyone

If you like what we are bring you here and feel this is what you want to see more of then we are happy to build this aspect of LFCC but you can make a big difference , its a new event with in a event and we need to get the word out to as many people that care , and we do not want people to miss out on the show so if you can like to this or re tweet to others that you are going will help this first event be strong and it will mean we can start to grow it.

you all can help make the event a great success and that will mean we can build it for future events , thank you for any help you can give us.

jason

Wow - what a list! I can only go on the Saturday (my mum's 75th the next day!) but I'm terribly excited. Charlie HIgson! Darren Shan! Derek Landy! (my 10 year old is terribly excited) Patrick Ness! Rainbow Rowell! Sarah Crossan! I mean...blimey. *runs away to re-read 'Breathe'*

I've been coming to LFCC since 2004?2005? Not sure (it all gets a bit of a blur when you're my age! ;) ) and I lovelovelove that it changes and evolves, and now to have something as lovely as this added too - I hope it's such an amazing success it happens every year. NOW I have to weigh up what money to save for autos and what money to save for books. What a *terrible* choice to have to make! ;)

(PS I choose both)

This is awesome! I'm a Dutch Bookblogger/Booktuber, and we rarely get author visits over here in the Netherlands. That's why I've summoned several other Dutch bookbloggers and we are heading over to #YALC this year as sort of a field trip.

We're extremely excited to meet some of our favourite authors and I can hardly wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I havent heard of basicly anyone of theese, Ive actually bought Scullduggery Pleasant cause of this, cause I would like to see how that is.

I would love some recomendations from people, I like urban fantasy like Dresden Files, Harry Potter is awesome. Not that into vampires really... horror if its like Lovecraft. Steampunk is also nice.

Thanks in advance.

I havent heard of basicly anyone of theese, Ive actually bought Scullduggery Pleasant cause of this, cause I would like to see how that is.

I would love some recomendations from people, I like urban fantasy like Dresden Files, Harry Potter is awesome. Not that into vampires really... horror if its like Lovecraft. Steampunk is also nice.

Thanks in advance.

II'm planning to read some of these myself out of sheer curiosity as well. My sister's an avid reader of these young adult novels. Out of the bunch she says The Enemy (from Charlie Higson) is really good and brutal (it's more zombie themed). As well as Sally Green's Half Bad. I'm reading my first of the bunch now: the Elites by Natasha Ngan. It's pretty entertaining so far but it reminds me of Divergent a bit. Can't help you much more though :)

• 1 month later...

I've started reading a few of these authors out of curiosity since they've been announced and really enjoyed everything so far.

Charlie Higson - Young Bond novels are good fun and I've really enjoyed the first of his zombie ones.

I read all the Darren Shan vampire ones when they first came out, if you want to save time then the first 3 were filmed as The Vampire's Assistant. The books are better than the film but that'll give you a taste.

I've just finished Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell which was a really sweet and heartbreaking love story.

The Skulduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy are wonderful. Decent adventure, likeable heroine, fantastic action. Really hope they make a movie from them.

Tried my first Malorie Blackman book last week. Boys Don't Cry. I don't usually read more serious themed books but this was totally engaging, will definitely read more of hers.

Anthony McGowan writes fantastic stuff too, my favourite of his is one of his earlier ones called Henry Tumour. Serious issue, original idea, dark humour.

Next up I'll be trying More Than This by Patrick Ness, have heard lots of good reviews.

• 1 month later...

Can I just say on behalf of my "Not so Mini Me" that this was a totally awesome feature of LFCC and in her words, the best thing ever! Huge congratulations to Malorie Blackman and of course Gemma for organising this all - I know I spoke to many a happy blogger and YA book fan. So.... question is - when's the next one?

• Like 1

Despite all the problems with the con, have to say YALC was the best bit for me! Loved the free swag stand, the beanbag area surrounded by books, the Waterstones stand, the book bloggers... Since it was so busy I only got one autograph from Patrick Ness but he was lovely, and I caught the last half of the fantasy talk which was fun and interesting.